PDA

View Full Version : Could one of the Packer HB's end up with the Jets?

gureski
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/440321p-370938c.html

For Jets, backup RB plan

The Jets are exploring the running-back market, according to sources, an indication the club might not think Curtis Martin will be ready for the opener, if at all.
Martin, on the physically-unable-to-perform list with a lingering knee injury, hasn't been on the practice field since training camp opened. Martin, 33, has said he wants to play this season, but there are growing indications he might not fit in the Jets' plans.

The organization has tremendous respect for Martin's ability to recover from injuries, and the physically-unable-to-perform designation could be its way of giving him one last chance to get healthy. At the same time, the front office is scouring the league, investigating options.

Two veteran backs could end up on the trading block - Chris Brown (Titans) and Thomas Jones (Bears). Brown already has formally requested a trade, but it was denied by Tennessee management. Jones could be expendable because of Chicago's big investment in former No. 1 pick Cedric Benson.

Chances are, the Jets will wait a game or two before doing anything, giving them a chance to evaluate Cedric Houston, Derrick Blaylock and rookie Leon Washington. By then, they also could have a better handle on Martin's condition.

Coach Eric Mangini has refused to put a timetable on Martin, saying the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher will practice when he's "physically able." If Martin isn't activated by the end of the preseason, the Jets can put him on the regular-season PUP list, requiring him to sit out the first six weeks.

end article:

If you think about this a little bit, it's not that far fetched that a guy like N.Davenport wouldn't get his name tossed about. If Herron is really impressing the coaches enough than that means there is 1 extra RB. Would Davenport be the odd man out?

All I know is that the price to acquire one of our 3 back up HB's would be alot more appeasing to the Jets then what they'll have to pay for a T.Jones or C.Brown. I think we should keep our eye on this situation. Whichever back the Packers decide not to use could end up with the Jets.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Nice heads up guerski.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
It wouldn't be shocking, but with all of them coming injuries, can we afford to trade one? Plus, it sounds like they may end up keeping 4 HBs and playing a lot of two HB sets. The FB in this offense isn't required to be a big-time lead blocker. That's why the Broncos have gotten away with playing Mike Anderson at FB a lot in this offense.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
It wouldn't be shocking, but with all of them coming injuries, can we afford to trade one? Plus, it sounds like they may end up keeping 4 HBs and playing a lot of two HB sets. The FB in this offense isn't required to be a big-time lead blocker. That's why the Broncos have gotten away with playing Mike Anderson at FB a lot in this offense.

We're not trading a RB. Najeh looks like a monster back in TC. What a bull and Ahman will be ready .Then there's Samkon and I really like his head and heart. Noah Herron has got massive thighs and the right attitude as well.

Both he and Najeh could show us versatility at FB if we have to spell William Henderson.

It all comes down to health and can lightning strike us two years in a row at RB ? Surely not, I'm hoping. :mrgreen:

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS OK - IN 2006 !!!!

retailguy
08-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Both he and Najeh could show us versatility at FB if we have to spell William Henderson.

I've said this since the first minicamp. Leach's days are numbered.... I think Herron has his spot. Not sure Najeh is worth anything with his injury history. But it is fun speculating.... :smile:

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 03:13 PM

I've said this since the first minicamp. Leach's days are numbered.... I think Herron has his spot. Not sure Najeh is worth anything with his injury history. But it is fun speculating.... :smile:

retailguy:

I think it's like Texas Holdem'.

We're ALL IN . . . at RB and OL and (maybe? also) at WR - for the time being.

T2 may surprise us with an exciting deal yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS IN 2006 !!!

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Noah Herron has got massive thighs and the right attitude as well.

This sentence strikes me as very funny. I don't care to elaborate. :lol:

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Noah Herron has got massive thighs and the right attitude as well.

This sentence strikes me as very funny. I don't care to elaborate. :lol:

Got me on that one - you devil ! :mrgreen:

How did I know I'd fall on my face when I wrote that statement.

Laughing at myself.

gureski
08-09-2006, 08:57 AM
This further backs up my assertion that the Jets are looking towards more affordable, lesser known RB's to fill their void. It could eventually turn towards talks with the Packers for one of the 4 guys they have.

From Footballguys.com

NYJ - Jets Interested In RB M. Turner, RB Shipp?

Source: Ken Berger, Newsday

According to recent reports, the New York Jets have expressed an interest in San Diego Chargers running back Michael Turner and Arizona Cardinals running back Marcel Shipp as running back Curtis Martin continues to struggle with a right knee injury.

Noodle
08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
I had the same thought as Gureski when I heard about the Jets RB issues on the radio. But do the Jets have anything we need? And it'd have to be something we really need, because of all the uncertainty we have at RB.

In the end, I think we sit this one out for now. But it's worth monitoring, especially if we get a better idea of Ahman's fitness.

BooHoo
08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't believe Davenport is worth that much in a trade. Isn't his history injuries. Altough he plays well when he is healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out again this year with another injury and that may spell the end of him for good.

Astonishment
08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
You have to wonder if Davenport will ever stay healthy. His problem has never been his talent or production it has been his inability to stay healthy for more than 24 hours. This may be the time to try and get something for Davenport if you don't think he will stay healthy. That said it would have to depend on what the Jets were willing to pay. None the less it will be intersting to see.

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Green Bay resigned Davenport for cheap. Any team could have had him. I doubt he has much trade value. Sure, they could trade Da Poop or Herron for some scrub, but we might need all four RBs this year.

BooHoo
08-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Green Bay resigned Davenport for cheap. Any team could have had him. I doubt he has much trade value. Sure, they could trade Da Poop or Herron for some scrub, but we might need all four RBs this year.

I'm a little concerned with the fact that we are starting the season with RBs coming off injuries. However, more concerned with the performance of the OLine.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm concerned that the corners keep getting toasted.

Partial
08-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Zig, the corners are going to be fine. At CB and LB, the questions aren't are we solid at those positions, but who should be starting since we have such great depth.

Harris and Woodson are getting older and are probably doggin' it during camp. I'm fine with this since they're both vets and I want them to be healthy during the season. Carroll and the other young DBs keep getting praise as well. Plus, in these drills the QB isn't feeling the heat since they can't be hit. I would hope Favre without fear of being hit or having to scramble could toast anybody in the league!!

Packnut
08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
After all the injuries last season, we gotta go with 4 RB's.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
It sounds like that is what Coach has in mind anyway. He keeps saying that there will be a role for everyone.

Creepy
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
GB will keep 5 RBs on the roster. That usaually means 3 HBs and 2 Fbs. Gado, Green, & Herron will be kept as HBs, Davenport & Henderson will be FBs. Unless Leach shows he can catch as well as Henderson he'll be shipped out.

The new blcoking scheme andthe RB by comittee will work well and hopefully keep our RBs safe. Unless he is not up to it, Green will be the featured back, but will be spelled by Gado and line up with Davenport in the backfield. Both Denver & Atlanta used a two back set like the days of old. They may keep Green in with Henderson on passing downs because Henderson is a better blocker, but he can also catch. Thgus giveing Green more room for screens or flares, and if covered Henderson beingthe safety valve.

This is a good deal as we no longer will see shuttle passes or give away our play because we sent in a third down back. As far as I have read, GB will go withthese 5, unless somebody else stands out in the pre-season.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Zig, the corners are going to be fine. At CB and LB, the questions aren't are we solid at those positions, but who should be starting since we have such great depth.

Harris and Woodson are getting older and are probably doggin' it during camp. I'm fine with this since they're both vets and I want them to be healthy during the season. Carroll and the other young DBs keep getting praise as well. Plus, in these drills the QB isn't feeling the heat since they can't be hit. I would hope Favre without fear of being hit or having to scramble could toast anybody in the league!!

For many many year's as an adult I had to prepare to be at the level needed to make and compete as a part of a team at a Championship level in Fastball and Ball hockey. I played on teams that had one goal - the championship. I gave of myself.

I had my role to fulfill on that team. Attitude and hustle were a large part of my contribution.I was a member of the group of players just like me. When the stars just dallydog, it's as we are seeing with Charles Woodson.

It isn't a good thing. It sucks what Charles Woodson is showing us and . . showed the Raider fans when he was in Oakland - that implies nothing but weakness/arrogance in him.

That's the attitude of a player that will burn us as Packer fans.

Count on it !!! NOT :shock:

red
08-09-2006, 11:52 AM

good point, if last season taught us anything its that you can't have enough starting quality RB's on the roster

plus like others have said. najeh can also be the backup FB