PDA

View Full Version : Battle At Left Guard?

Joemailman
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
MM said today that Bulaga is being given a chance to battle for the starting spot. He took some reps there with the 1st team today. Definitely something to watch Saturday night.

Probably bad news for Barbre. Wouldn't be surprised to see him cut very soon.

red
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
what's that say about colledge?

Guiness
08-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Battling for starter at LG?

Don't know if I like that...I know some guys will slide over from LG to LT, but I'd rather see him spend his career at the tackle spot.

red
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Battling for starter at LG?

Don't know if I like that...I know some guys will slide over from LG to LT, but I'd rather see him spend his career at the tackle spot.

i'm torn on that too. i'd love to see him just stuck at backup LT and stay there until its time for him to start

on the other hand, if he gets the starting job at LG, he'll get a ton a real game experience until clifton retires

and if he can improve what seems to be the weak spot on our line then great

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Don't like that at all, keep him at LT as insurance in case Clifton goes down. I have no problem with keeping Colledge at LG.

Also saw they moved Barbe from LG to LT which I absolutely hate

Lurker64
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM

I think this is "Allen Barbre's last chance". He was a bust at RT, he can't cut it at LG, so give him a chance to demonstrate that he can play the position he played in college, otherwise he's gone.

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Greg_A_Bedard: Even if Bulaga starts, if Clifton goes down, Bulaga moves to LT, Colledge to LG. Barbre only gets reps when Clifton rests

That makes more sense.

mission
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM

I think this is "Allen Barbre's last chance". He was a bust at RT, he can't cut it at LG, so give him a chance to demonstrate that he can play the position he played in college, otherwise he's gone.

ya, plus that's 3rd string LT. barbre was 2nd team lt with bulaga at LG but if clifton went down, it's not barbre getting the nod.

i like it -- he seems like the kind of guy that can just go in there and maul someone in front of him. i don't think it will hurt his progress as it did with some guys with way more questionable talent. seems like the kid can flat out play, let's get him on the field and not judge this based on colledge...

Lurker64
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I think a large part of giving Bulaga reps at LG are because he's been so impressive so far in camp, they're looking for a way to get him on the field. If they're convinced that already he's good enough at LT that they're comfortable with him if Clifton is out, why not give him a shot? If nothing else, maybe it will light that fire under Colledge that apparently needs to be set regularly.

Plus, unlike some of our conversion projects, Bulaga played both LG and LT in college. So neither will require teaching him a completely new position. He'll need to adjust to the NFL game, but fundamentals are fundamentals at any level.

Joemailman
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM

I think it means Barbre is likely out the door. If he couldn't pass block at RT, not much chance he can handle the premier pass rushers he'll see at LT. My guess is they want Colledge to have some real competition, and Barbre wasn't providing it.

Patler
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Pretty simple. If Bulaga is one of the five best linemen (in combination), put him on the field. If he is better than Colledge, Spitz and Barbre at LG, put him on the field.

For all the complaints about Clifton's injuries, until last year he didn't miss any games for injuries since the Sapp incident. In the six years since then, he had missed just two games, one because of the flu and another when he had an adverse reaction to a medication. None because of injuries. He could end up playing all 16 again this year.

Clifton also could decide to play again next year. If Bulaga is as good as they say, I don't want him sitting the bench for two seasons waiting for Clifton to retire.

Clifton-Bulaga-Wells/Spitz-Sitton-Tauscher/Lang

Works for me.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Bulaga can move over to LT if Cliffy gets hurt just as easily from the LG position as he can from the bench. If he's better than Colledge, let him play.

Packman_26
08-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Bulaga can move over to LT if Cliffy gets hurt just as easily from the LG position as he can from the bench. If he's better than Colledge, let him play.
But I think the question is if working at left guard will hurt his development at left tackle. Maybe he can switch and be great at both, but I will say that the Packers have not had much luck in recent years when lineman move around.

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Clifton-Bulaga-Wells/Spitz-Sitton-Tauscher/Lang

Works for me.

+1

Would rather have Spitz start though but Wells will prob get the nod

retailguy
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
But I think the question is if working at left guard will hurt his development at left tackle. Maybe he can switch and be great at both, but I will say that the Packers have not had much luck in recent years when lineman move around.

This mirrors my thoughts. Good post.

Joemailman
08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Bulaga will still get plenty of reps at LT because Clifton doesn't practice every day.

McCarthy's complete comments on the move:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-Press-Conference-Transcript---Aug-9/77ddf167-8daa-4d1a-b7ae-8bc58c40c1c0

(Bulaga got some work at left guard. Can you talk about the decision there?)
Bryan Bulaga, we felt to this point that he has earned an opportunity to compete for a starting position. Our intent throughout the spring and going into training camp was to work him exclusively at left tackle. I have been very impressed with his body of work to this point, and we’re going to give him an opportunity to compete with Daryn Colledge and Allen Barbre at the left guard position.

(You initially said Bulaga would only work at left tackle, so what changed?)
As I have stated already, Bryan Bulaga has earned the opportunity to compete for a starting position. Our intent was to keep him at one position, which we did throughout the spring and to this point. I am really impressed with his body of work so far, and he has earned the right to compete for a starting position on our offensive line.

(When did you start to feel that way?)
Probably the middle of last week was when I started thinking about it. I discussed it with the line coaches on Friday and then we had a long conversation about it last night and then we made a decision this morning.

(Is it a testament to Bryan or the other guys’ play?)
It’s the coaching. It’s clearly the coaching. (laughs). It’s a testament to Bryan. Bryan has come in here, I mean, he’s talented, he’s tough, he’s doing things the right way. He’s got a lot of football in front of him. He’s got a lot to learn. We feel from an offensive line depth standpoint, this is the deepest group that we’ve had in our time here, and we’re continuing to try to train the younger players at one position, which is tough, not really realistic, because you start looking at that depth chart and you’re trying to get some clarity to it, and we feel by making this move it may add some clarity to it. Once again, not to be redundant, he has earned this right. He’s been impressive. I like what I’ve seen from the individual drills through the group drills all the way through the team drills, and I saw it again Saturday night. So we’re going to give him a shot.

(Is Bulaga still the primary backup at left tackle?)
Yes.

RashanGary
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Before MM made his decision, I was of the opinion that a JR LT would have his work cut out for him becoming a dependable backup at the 2nd toughest position on the offense.

I was of the opinion that we didn't have a reliable backup LT and Bulaga should be given every opportunity to get the position down-pat or it could spell trouble.

There were two situations where I would have agreed with Bulaga moving positions. The first would be if we desperately needed him to play or our line would suffer. The second reason is one I thought would be a long shot, but it's the reason I think this decision is being made. The 2nd reason is if Bulaga somehow become solid at the LT position, I would be OK with him battling for another starting gig and then sliding to LT if needed.

From the feel of McCarthy's press conference that is exactly what appears is happening. I think this is an extremely positive sign about what kind of player Bulaga is. I think they feel comfortable enough with him at LT that they think he'll be able to play well even if Clifton goes already and that they want to get him on the field as soon as possible until Clifton goes down.

I did not expect this to happen, but the way I'm reading this, I think it's the most positive possible outcome we could have hoped for. Bulaga is a natural.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I think he's possibly a huge upgrade over Colledge.

retailguy
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM

The diet pepsi machine is a huge upgrade over Colledge.

mission
08-09-2010, 08:29 PM

There's really no other explanation if he does end up starting there. If it's close, maybe they go with the vet and let Bulaga get his reps at LT.

I just think he's too good to have on the bench and when coach's jobs (and mortgages) depend on it, no one's stupid enough to have him sitting. Football is football at some point. Maybe it didn't click for Colledge, but, again, his situation has seemed to scare some of you guys. Bulaga was a Top 10 pick by some... get him out there.

Great to hear so far!!

Patler
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM

The only one who hasn't handled it is Colledge.

It worked fine for Tauscher early in his career, when Tauscher played a half game every game at RG for Rivera and Dotson came back at RT. Every game, 2 quarters at RT, 2 quarters at RG for quite a long time one season.

Spitz has moved back and forth between RG and center more than Colledge every switched to LT, and Spitz handled it fine.

Lang seemed to handle it OK last year.

Brandon494
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM

It worked fine for Tauscher early in his career, when Tauscher played a half game every game at RG for Rivera and Dotson came back at RT. Every game, 2 quarters at RT, 2 quarters at RG for quite a long time one season.

Spitz has moved back and forth between RG and center more than Colledge every switched to LT, and Spitz handled it fine.

I agree with Patler, good post.

Like someone stated above Bugula played LG in college and moving from tackle to guard is a lot easier then vice versa.

mission
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
As I was saying :)

pbmax
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM

The Diet Pepsi machine can flat out ball.

You have to have at least 3 lineman play two positions for game day. If Bulaga can do it, they do not need to keep a specialty LG except for Colledge, assuming he beats out Barbre.

So the starting five could be Clifton-College-Wells-Sitton-Tauscher backed up game day by Bulaga (LG/LT), Spitz (all three interior) and Lang (RT/RG). Boom. Your game day actives. You other one or two spots can go to best remaining instead of depth first.

I think Bedard is right, Barbre is simply flat done. The only question now might be Giacomini vs. Lang at RT and does EDS make it over Newhouse if there is a spot. I think Newhouse might need to survive the practice squad.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 03:09 AM

The diet pepsi machine is a huge upgrade over Colledge. And you're suggesting the diet coke machine is not? Scandalous!!!

Fritz
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
It's difficult to imagine Babre making this team now. Heck, it was difficult after six games last year.

Ballboy
08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I really don't understand why people think him playing every Sunday at LG would hurt his devlopment? Are these the same people that would cry about a rookie starting at LT saying he has no game time in?

If he is that good, we gotta play him, especially if he is better than College. Bulaga would get the good game to game experience, tricks that he can only learn in real games...not half hearted competition in practice!!

Patler
08-10-2010, 09:24 AM
It's difficult to imagine Babre making this team now. Heck, it was difficult after six games last year.

Coston, Moll now Barbre - all guys with potential but perhaps not the background. Each was given three seasons to demonstrate reasons for keeping them. Coston and Moll failed. Barbre seems to be teetering on the edge, and unlikely to avoid falling off.

Too bad. Physically, he has a lot going for him, and reportedly always grades out as one of their better run blockers. He has yet to develop a feel for pass protection, it seems. With the dominance of the passing game in the NFL today, his weakness far out weighs his strength.

Scott Campbell
08-10-2010, 09:27 AM
If he is that good, we gotta play him, especially if he is better than College.

If he's not appreciably better than Colledge at LG, then I think Colledge should keep the the job and Buluga should stay at backup LT.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I got off the College bandwagon after he was reported to have an over confidence explosion, though he sucked big time last season.

I am all for someone beating him out and disproving his "I only sucked so bad, cause I kept getting shifted" claim.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 09:36 AM
If he is that good, we gotta play him, especially if he is better than College.

If he's not appreciably better than Colledge at LG, then I think Colledge should keep the the job and Buluga should stay at backup LT.

I don't follow that logic, SC. Are you concerned about injury or him not getting enough practice reps at LT if he's the starting LG?

mraynrand
08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
If Waldo were still posting here, he'd point out that typically the best lineman is at LT and the second best lineman often is the guy who will back up the LG should he go down. Typically, that guy will be playing at another spot, because you cannot afford to have your second best lineman just sitting on the bench waiting for an injury to happen. Bulaga may not be the second best lineman yet, but I'm betting they think he is top 5. You want him on the field.

rbaloha1
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
IMO BB is built more like a guard -- thick and powerful. Gruden mentioned on draft day he felt BB was a guard (a minority opinion from so-called draft experts). BB does not pass the eyeball test for the prototypical NFL LT.

MM is not settling for inconsistency (Colledge) and mediocrity (Hawk) especially when the roster with potentially better players.

Pugger
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM

:lol: :lol:

Packman_26
08-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Maybe he can, I hope so. But I would argue that Spitz has not handled it all that well as he isn't starting anywhere. Sure Spitz is a pretty good player and can handle different positions but the bar is going to be higher for Bulaga.
Plus, I come from the school of thought that Left Tackle and the other line spots are completely different. I want the quarterbacks blindside protector to be focused completely on that. Its too hard of a job to have your mind elsewhere.
I think that what makes this situation difficult is that normally your first round Left Tackles start from day 1. The Packers have the luxury of still having Clifton but that shouldn't make them too comfortable as his body is breaking down. In the event that Clifton does go down, I would prefer that Bulaga has done nothing but think about protecting Rodgers from those elite defensive ends.

Joemailman
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Even with Clifton out this morning, Colledge and Bulaga split reps at LG. Barbre and Newhouse at LT. This situation should make the first preseason game a little more interesting.

I think people are making too much about Bulaga perhaps having to switch between 2 positions. Just because Colledge failed so miserably at it last year doesn't mean Bulaga can't do it.

Patler
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe he can, I hope so. But I would argue that Spitz has not handled it all that well as he isn't starting anywhere. Sure Spitz is a pretty good player and can handle different positions but the bar is going to be higher for Bulaga.
Plus, I come from the school of thought that Left Tackle and the other line spots are completely different. I want the quarterbacks blindside protector to be focused completely on that. Its too hard of a job to have your mind elsewhere.
I think that what makes this situation difficult is that normally your first round Left Tackles start from day 1. The Packers have the luxury of still having Clifton but that shouldn't make them too comfortable as his body is breaking down. In the event that Clifton does go down, I would prefer that Bulaga has done nothing but think about protecting Rodgers from those elite defensive ends.

Spitz has been a starter his entire career, and in the past that was never been much in doubt as it has been for Colledge seemingly each year. In fact, when Colledge was "benched" Spitz took his spot several times. He's recovering from back surgery right now, I'd give him a little break for that. My bet is that he will be back in the starting lineup soon enough, probably at center.

But whether Spitz starts or not, he has played multiple positions frequently and has been acceptably consistent at all of them. He has not had the ups and downs that Colledge has. Maybe in the future he won't be talented enough to start, but that will be based on basic talent, not the fact he has played multiple positions. He seems to handle that well enough.

So if your QB is left handed, does RT become "completely different" from the other line positions?

Flanagan had no trouble stepping in at LT when Clifton went down, and he had no experience there when he did. Many others around the league use a starter at another position as their backup LT. It's not that different, it just requires a very talented pass protector. Colledge is not the best at pass protection even as a guard, that is why he failed at LT, not because he was distracted.

retailguy
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Spitz has been a starter his entire career, and in the past that was never been much in doubt as it has been for Colledge seemingly each year. In fact, when Colledge was "benched" Spitz took his spot several times. He's recovering from back surgery right now, I'd give him a little break for that. My bet is that he will be back in the starting lineup soon enough, probably at center.

But whether Spitz starts or not, he has played multiple positions frequently and has been acceptably consistent at all of them. He has not had the ups and downs that Colledge has. Maybe in the future he won't be talented enough to start, but that will be based on basic talent, not the fact he has played multiple positions. He seems to handle that well enough.

So if your QB is left handed, does RT become "completely different" from the other line positions?

Flanagan had no trouble stepping in at LT when Clifton went down, and he had no experience there when he did. Many others around the league use a starter at another position as their backup LT. It's not that different, it just requires a very talented pass protector. Colledge is not the best at pass protection even as a guard, that is why he failed at LT, not because he was distracted.

I was a big fan of Colledge the LT until last season. I had said repeatedly that he was much better at LT than LG. Talk about being proved wrong? Holy hell.

In the past he had played fairly well at LT, and I believed that his pass protection was better there. But, Patler, you're right. Colledge's downfall is pass protection. But, not always. He has adequate moves and good talent, but sometimes, he just seems lost.

After the debacle last season, I don't want him in any capacity. I want someone else, even if, at first, Colledge is better than they are. The experiment ought to be over.

Spitz has always enjoyed this "tough guy" personna with the media. I don't see it. I think that Wells is a better center, and I thought that Spitz stunk at RG. I'd support putting him at LG, only because I despise Colledge, but really, if he doesn't have a future at RT, why not put Lang there? McCarthy has said repeatedly that he thinks LG is a good fit for Lang.

Reports on Giancomi have surprised me, and if they are to be believed, we have the future RT there. Lang could be moved on that basis.

On the one hand, I could easily vote to get rid of both Colledge and Spitz. On the other hand, for a team with super bowl aspirations, that's a gutsy move, considering the OL has stunk for three years running. Actually five years running if you count the Klemm and O'dwyer fiasco.

I'm so frustrated with the production of the OL, I don't even know what to type anymore.

Patler
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I was a big fan of Colledge the LT until last season. I had said repeatedly that he was much better at LT than LG. Talk about being proved wrong? Holy hell.

In the past he had played fairly well at LT, and I believed that his pass protection was better there. But, Patler, you're right. Colledge's downfall is pass protection. But, not always. He has adequate moves and good talent, but sometimes, he just seems lost.

After the debacle last season, I don't want him in any capacity. I want someone else, even if, at first, Colledge is better than they are. The experiment ought to be over.

Spitz has always enjoyed this "tough guy" personna with the media. I don't see it. I think that Wells is a better center, and I thought that Spitz stunk at RG. I'd support putting him at LG, only because I despise Colledge, but really, if he doesn't have a future at RT, why not put Lang there? McCarthy has said repeatedly that he thinks LG is a good fit for Lang.

Reports on Giancomi have surprised me, and if they are to be believed, we have the future RT there. Lang could be moved on that basis.

On the one hand, I could easily vote to get rid of both Colledge and Spitz. On the other hand, for a team with super bowl aspirations, that's a gutsy move, considering the OL has stunk for three years running. Actually five years running if you count the Klemm and O'dwyer fiasco.

I'm so frustrated with the production of the OL, I don't even know what to type anymore.

I was never in the Colledge at LT camp. When many argued it was his best position, I just remembered the all too frequent times when he seemed to be out quicked by pass ruhers on the inside, confused by stunts, or manhandled by sheer power. It seemed to happen at least once a game. What has always bothered me most is that when he gets beat, he often seems to miss completely, with little or no last ditch effort to slow or redirect his man. Your tackles can't do that, they have to block with the pinky finger of their left hand if that is all they can get on their man. If they don't, the QB can get killed. I've seen Clifton and Tauscher make that last lunge, barely touching a guy, but making him a half step slower, or a half step wider to give the QB a fraction of a second to throw, avoid the sack or at least protect himself and the ball from less than a full throttle hit.

At least Spitz is consistent. Colledge's performance swings are mind boggling for a professional athlete.

I kind of think TT and/or MM have rethought their needs in linemen. They looked for "athletes" they could develop into NFL caliber linemen and got the likes of Coston, Moll, Barbre and Colledge. During that time, they took a less athletic guy who just plays the game, Spitz, and he was probably the best pick of the 5. Since then they have gone with less impressive athletes who just play the game, and got Sitton, Lang and Bulaga. I like all three of those picks, so far.

So while TT may have swung and missed his first few years with O-linemen, he seems to be on a better roll right now. It gives me hope.

cheesner
08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
This is what I think this tells us:

!. Barber is gone
2. Bulaga is good enough now at LT that the coaches feel comfortable getting practice at another position.

Bulaga can still get reps at LT - Clifton can't take all of them. I feel that learning the LG position will be beneficial to BB whether he plays there in games or not. Knowing blocking assignments of the LG will improve your play as a LT. The coaches may be doing this to light a fire under College. I like College, he had a few breakdowns, but he also had some tremendous plays also that sprung Grant for big gains.

CaliforniaCheez
08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
On the 45 player game day roster allows for 2 or 3 substitutes on the O-line. If there are needs elsewhere there may be only 2 active replacements.

Bulaga has to be able to play multiple positions if he expects to be on the game day roster. He has to get some experience at LG. Additionally the experience at LG will also help him understand what his teammates duties are when he is a LT.

He will be a better player in the long run because of this experience. It also gives him an extra challenge to keep him from becoming complacent.

It also works on the psychology of Clifton respecting him as the veteran starter and the psychology of Colledge giving him another competitor.

It is all for the good.

sharpe1027
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
IMHO, this just means that their excuse that the o-line struggles were due to being shifted around too much was a load of crap that they fed to the public. Pad level anyone?

Mmmm, tasty! :lol:

mission
08-10-2010, 03:28 PM
On the 45 player game day roster allows for 2 or 3 substitutes on the O-line. If there are needs elsewhere there may be only 2 active replacements.

Bulaga has to be able to play multiple positions if he expects to be on the game day roster. He has to get some experience at LG. Additionally the experience at LG will also help him understand what his teammates duties are when he is a LT.

He will be a better player in the long run because of this experience. It also gives him an extra challenge to keep him from becoming complacent.

It also works on the psychology of Clifton respecting him as the veteran starter and the psychology of Colledge giving him another competitor.

It is all for the good.

Great post, great points!

Packman_26
08-11-2010, 08:03 PM

It is all for the good.
I agree that getting him some reps at left guard in case he needs to play there in a pinch is a good idea. But isn't that different than starting him at left guard?

If Bulaga wins the job at LG, I would think he would take at least 75% of his reps at LG. I don't think Clifton can be counted on for 16+ games this year and in those cases where he isn't playing, wouldn't it be better if Bulaga was practicing primarily at LT?

Also, I don't buy this "he already has LT down" nonsense. Veterans have trouble switching positions without practice reps, let alone a rookie. I don't care how NFL ready he is considered to be.

pbmax
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM

I was never in the Colledge at LT camp. When many argued it was his best position, I just remembered the all too frequent times when he seemed to be out quicked by pass ruhers on the inside, confused by stunts, or manhandled by sheer power. It seemed to happen at least once a game. What has always bothered me most is that when he gets beat, he often seems to miss completely, with little or no last ditch effort to slow or redirect his man. Your tackles can't do that, they have to block with the pinky finger of their left hand if that is all they can get on their man. If they don't, the QB can get killed. I've seen Clifton and Tauscher make that last lunge, barely touching a guy, but making him a half step slower, or a half step wider to give the QB a fraction of a second to throw, avoid the sack or at least protect himself and the ball from less than a full throttle hit.

At least Spitz is consistent. Colledge's performance swings are mind boggling for a professional athlete.

I kind of think TT and/or MM have rethought their needs in linemen. They looked for "athletes" they could develop into NFL caliber linemen and got the likes of Coston, Moll, Barbre and Colledge. During that time, they took a less athletic guy who just plays the game, Spitz, and he was probably the best pick of the 5. Since then they have gone with less impressive athletes who just play the game, and got Sitton, Lang and Bulaga. I like all three of those picks, so far.

So while TT may have swung and missed his first few years with O-linemen, he seems to be on a better roll right now. It gives me hope.
Its rare you see a Guard miss as completely as he has. Though if a Guard does miss, the route to the QB is more straight forward and shorter for a DT than a DE. There is less time to recover than at tackle.

Colledge had a whiff against the Cardinals, I think, where he was staying home for a stunt that never came and his man went right by him on his outside (left).

Given that the rusher faked the stunt for just a half second and then penetrated, Colledge clearly had to pick him up even if he was going to have to turn him over to Clifton after another second to go back and get the End on the stunt. But he did not engage.

By the time he realized no stunt was coming, his guy was past him and he couldn't recover. Sometimes the misses are so total, its hard to pinpoint the error. But on that fake stunt, he was late to commit to a block. Bad decision on the assignment.