PDA

View Full Version : Punting...and Holding for Crosby

Fritz
08-10-2010, 08:58 AM
This line, in reference to Chris Bryan's intrasquad punting efforts, caught my eye in the JSO: "But he also shanked a 38-yarder than had 3.53 hang time."

Wow...what is now described as a "shank" would have been, with the last couple Packer punters, described as an average punt. This is an improvement and leads me to think that perhaps the Pack will be okay this year on the punting side of things.

On the other hand, neither guy seems especially gifted as a holder. According to the JSO, Crosby appears more uncomfortable with Bryan than Masthay. I would imagine both punters are putting in extra time learning to catch and place a football. That could be what gets the job earned.

I do wonder if Flynn is that lousy at it that the coaches are trying only the punters.

I do think that both punters deserve a few preseason games to duke it out, yet I feel for Crosby and also think he deserves the chance to finally work for weeks and weeks of preseason with ONE holder.

What do all y'all think?

Ballboy
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I really wondered why Flynn wasn't holding either? To me, what a great "weapon" to have by having your back-up QB as the holder. If, in the case of a jail break, we at least have someone back there who can throw the ball. Secondly, it would at least keep the defense somewhat at bay given that we could run fakes. His hands should be as good as a punters.

sepporepi
08-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe they are scared Crosby could break Flynn's hand. With just 2 QBs on the roster that would be a porblem :lol: .
Or they just need him to do other things in practice as the only backup QB, so he just has not the time to practice with Crosby.

sharpe1027
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I really wondered why Flynn wasn't holding either? To me, what a great "weapon" to have by having your back-up QB as the holder. If, in the case of a jail break, we at least have someone back there who can throw the ball. Secondly, it would at least keep the defense somewhat at bay given that we could run fakes. His hands should be as good as a punters.

At least Bryan played Aussie football. He might not have an arm, but I bet he's got some moves and is a tough SOB.

Tarlam!
08-10-2010, 10:05 AM
At least Bryan played Aussie football. He might not have an arm, but I bet he's got some moves and is a tough SOB.

I'd be so proud if he makes it, but I can't see it happening.

He's a huge guy at 6'5", he can tackle harder than most LBs I'm sure, he has the moves of a FB at least, if not RB - he needs those skills to play 'rules, which he was very successful at.

But, he's 28 and, apart from the pooch punts (which could become an important part of Packer football with this offense), isn't decidedly better in distance and hang time than Masthay.

Still, I am rooting for him.

Fred's Slacks
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think the decision to have the punter hold has anything to do with Flynn's ability. Most teams have gone to the "have the punter hold" philosophy as those two can always practice together whereas the backup QB's have to take part in team drills. It makes sense when you have two settled vets at the Kicker and Punter positions. For us, its a bit of a gamble since we still don't know which guy will be our Punter.

packers11
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
We should have just drafted the best punter on the board in april. I feel like we have had the same story with different names filled in the blank over the past couple of years when it has come to punters in greenbay

Lurker64
08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
We should have just drafted the best punter on the board in april. I feel like we have had the same story with different names filled in the blank over the past couple of years when it has come to punters in greenbay

The consensus top punter was Zoltan Mesko out of Michigan who was drafted at #150 in the fifth round, four picks before we selected in that round. Our fourth round pick was traded away in order to trade up to get Morgan Burnett, who was our third round pick. There was no chance that Burnett would last until our natural pick in the third round, as Burnett was picked #71, our natural pick was #86, but Chicago was picking at #75 and they were going to select the best safety on the board. In fact, the whole second tier of safeties was gone before #86 rolled around (No safeties were taken between #76 and #110).

At this point, considering Bigby's ankle, I'd much rather have the NFL calibre safety than the NFL calibre punter.

Brandon494
08-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Is that Mike Sherman?

packers11
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Is that Mike Sherman?

haha I didn't mean it that way... I meant to say just draft someone who actually looked decent in college - instead of taking these FA waiver punters...

Goshhhhh :lol:

Tony Oday
08-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Is that Mike Sherman?

haha I didn't mean it that way... I meant to say just draft someone who actually looked decent in college - instead of taking these FA waiver punters...

Goshhhhh :lol:

What punter has looked good out of college? Just wondering I really have no idea.