PDA

View Full Version : JSO rips Justin Harrell

packers11
08-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Packers DE Justin Harrell has reportedly shown poor effort on the practice field in camp.

Either that, or he's out of shape. "The contrast in intensity between Harrell and rookie Mike Neal is startling," writes the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn. "By now, (Harrell's) routine has become commonplace. Take a rep, slow jog or walk behind the line, remove helmet, take a knee."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

is it that bad? I thought I read somewhere that he has shown improvement / potential...

Tarlam!
08-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Ja, I just saw that, too.

I'm mixed on this kid. All that natural talent etc. Talks the talk and you pull for him etc. I really hoped he would finally put up the performance to shut up the sceptics, but alas.

I think this will be it and Ted finally gets a "bust" 1st rounder credited to the errors list.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2010, 07:42 AM
So how does he look during the rep?

swede
08-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Packers DE Justin Harrell has reportedly shown poor effort on the practice field in camp.

Either that, or he's out of shape. "The contrast in intensity between Harrell and rookie Mike Neal is startling," writes the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn. "By now, (Harrell's) routine has become commonplace. Take a rep, slow jog or walk behind the line, remove helmet, take a knee."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

is it that bad? I thought I read somewhere that he has shown improvement / potential...

I would be fine with any one of us observing a TC practice and reporting that observation. And indeed, from the one practice I saw, the observation was not even inaccurate.

But McGinn's job is to report. He could have reported the same thing without the cheap shot description which was not strictly reporting. That little description of Harrell's routine was a fiction crafted to portray a negative impression and that makes it a cheap shot.

If McGinn wanted to editorialize he might have simply penned that Mike Neal has been practicing like a player who wants to be a starter, and Justin Harrell has been practicing like a player who wants to be a back-up. Something like that would be read as editorializing and not reporting.

Jamal Reynolds was a bust; he never had any talent. Harrell is a disappointment; he shows flashes of talent but never seems to pull the package together because of injury and attitude. One more draft ought to bring along his replacement, but that doesn't give McGinn license to make stuff up just to abuse him.

Patler
08-11-2010, 07:59 AM
"Take a rep, slow jog or walk behind the line, remove helmet, take a knee."

All consistent with what a player would be told to do if he had suffered heat stress or heat related problems. Oh....wait....Harrell HAS had a heat related problem in TC!

"Slow jog or walk" - conserve energy, do not build up heat when it doesn't matter.
"remove helmet" - let heat escape, avoid heat build up in helmet
"take a knee" - relax so as not to induce the physical stress

What he does after a rep is not nearly so important as what he does DURING the rep. Silly comment from a professional sports reporter, in my opinion.

The Packers now record a "black bulb" temperature on the filed, which is a colored thermometer intended to estimate the temperature inside of the players helmets. Monday when the temp was about 90, they said the black bulb temp was 110. I suspect Harrell has been told to remove his helmet whenever possible and to relax when not taking a rep to avoid recurrence of the problems he had the first week with heat stress.

swede
08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
"Take a rep, slow jog or walk behind the line, remove helmet, take a knee."

All consistent with what a player would be told to do if he had suffered heat stress or heat related problems. Oh....wait....Harrell HAS had a heat related problem in TC!

"Slow jog or walk" - conserve energy, do not build up heat when it doesn't matter.
"remove helmet" - let heat escape, avoid heat build up in helmet
"take a knee" - relax so as not to induce the physical stress

What he does after a rep is not nearly so important as what he does DURING the rep. Silly comment from a professional sports reporter, in my opinion.

The Packers now record a "black bulb" temperature on the filed, which is a colored thermometer intended to estimate the temperature inside of the players helmets. Monday when the temp was about 90, they said the black bulb temp was 110. I suspect Harrell has been told to remove his helmet whenever possible and to relax when not taking a rep to avoid recurrence of the problems he had the first week with heat stress.

Good points, Patler. I was thinking also that McGinn, for all his access, does not know how many reps JH is supposed to take or how the training and coaching staff specifically ask him to conduct himself on the practice field.

RashanGary
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
And another point, when Niel was drafted does everyone remember the scouts, Thompson and coaches praise of Neil. I'll paraphrase here but, "he is the most conditioned DL on the field. He never takes a snap off. Most DL play 80% of the snaps, this guy plays 100% and doesn't really wear down either"

Yet another tough comparison for Harrell to live up to.

We'll see. I pick up on those little things too, but like Patler said, Harrell isn't as well adjusted to extreme heat and he's had back problems for years. Hopefully they're gone, but even if they are, there is probably some adjustment to really getting back on the field anyway. It's a week and a half into camp.

I don't have a ton of hope for this guy, but this alone isn't the damning comment that McGinn makes it out to be. There was a lot of context left out of that one liner.

get louder at lambeau
08-11-2010, 09:37 AM
People seem to just want to hate Harrell.

retailguy
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM

After all the things he's said around here, can you blame them? :P

RashanGary
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark.

mraynrand
08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
"By now, (Harrell's) routine has become commonplace. Take a rep, slow jog or walk behind the line, remove helmet, take a knee."

Maybe he was proposing to Mike Trgovac.

Pugger
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM

I must be slow this afternoon or something. Who are you talking about - McGinn or Harrell? :cnf:

Brandon494
08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I saw it as taking a cheap shot at Harrell but atleast Neal has been looking good.

RashanGary
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
It was aimed jokingly at me. Some of you are probably not aware, but years ago I had a history of being very controversal. Most recently, I said Dianna Favre was as dumb as a yard rake. Before that, I PM'd one of Favre's faithful after Aaron Rodgers first victory (opening day, 2008) and I rubbed in how we didn't miss the ol' c** slinger, errr. . . . . gun slinger. . . .

Those are just the more recent. Back in the day, especially at JS when nobody could ban me and I was at my youngest and dumbest, I was a walking, talking, rubbing shit in, controversal dude. . . .

For the new people, I probably appear very civilized and you guys have now clue what the hell he's talking about.

Us old timers have alot of history. I'm 29 now. I was 23 when I met these guys online. 6 years, for someone in their early 20's, is a lot of time to grow up. It's like Aaron Rodgers coming into the league vs Aaron Rodgers now.

pbmax
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
It was aimed jokingly at me. Some of you are probably not aware, but years ago I had a history of being very controversal. Most recently, I said Dianna Favre was as dumb as a yard rake. Before that, I PM'd one of Favre's faithful after Aaron Rodgers first victory (opening day, 2008) and I rubbed in how we didn't miss the ol' c** slinger, errr. . . . . gun slinger. . . .

Those are just the more recent. Back in the day, especially at JS when nobody could ban me and I was at my youngest and dumbest, I was a walking, talking, rubbing shit in, controversal dude. . . .

For the new people, I probably appear very civilized and you guys have now clue what the hell he's talking about.

Us old timers have alot of history. I'm 29 now. I was 23 when I met these guys online. 6 years, for someone in their early 20's, is a lot of time to grow up. It's like Aaron Rodgers coming into the league vs Aaron Rodgers now.
Shouldn't you be Mike Neal by now? :lol:

RashanGary
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Shouldn't you be Mike Neal by now? :lol:

I'm stuck with Harrell until he proves to be a really good player. If that's never, then Harrell will be my name. Going forward, I almost hope he stinks so I can have this bizzare name that only old school Packer fans from the Aaron Rodgers era will remember.

Fosco33
08-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Do teams use cooling systems in pads (particularly helmets)?

Lurker64
08-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm stuck with Harrell until he proves to be a really good player. If that's never, then Harrell will be my name. Going forward, I almost hope he stinks so I can have this bizzare name that only old school Packer fans from the Aaron Rodgers era will remember.

You were doing so well with Nick Collins and Greg Jennings. You should have stuck with second round picks, so then we could be waiting on Brandon Jackson.

Scott Campbell
08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm 29 now. I was 23 when I met these guys online. 6 years, for someone in their early 20's, is a lot of time to grow up.

You shouldn't take that for granted because in that same period I've regressed quite a bit.

mraynrand
08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm 29 now. I was 23 when I met these guys online. 6 years, for someone in their early 20's, is a lot of time to grow up.

You shouldn't take that for granted because in that same period I've regressed quite a bit.

I resemble that remark. I know someone who would agree....

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Liberalanimal.jpg

pbmax
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Actually, I remember some scouts having questions about Neal's motor. The answer from the Packers and other draftniks was that he played ALL the snaps on a defense that was on the field for quite a bit. So some wearing down was to be expected.

retailguy
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Listening to him preach about "consistency" on the OL makes me laugh out loud. Who has been preaching about consistency for the past 3 years? How many times has he called me an idiot?

:D

get louder at lambeau
08-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Listening to him preach about "consistency" on the OL makes me laugh out loud. Who has been preaching about consistency for the past 3 years? How many times has he called me an idiot?

I haven't been around that long, so fill me in- Have you really consistently been an idiot for three years? :wink:

Scott Campbell
08-13-2010, 02:17 PM

I haven't been around that long, so fill me in- Have you really consistently been an idiot for three years? :wink:

Nah. I don't think any of us has consistently been an idiot since P left.

mraynrand
08-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Nah. I don't think any of us has consistently been an idiot since P left.

But Lord, Oh how I have TRIED!!!

Iron Mike
08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Back in the day, especially at JS when nobody could ban me and I was at my youngest and dumbest, I was a walking, talking, rubbing shit in, controversial dude. . . .

Tank???? 8-)

rbaloha1
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
JH played well against the backups. Appears to be a game time player rather than a practice player.

swede
08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Back in the day, especially at JS when nobody could ban me and I was at my youngest and dumbest, I was a walking, talking, rubbing shit in, controversial dude. . . .

Tank???? 8-)

Everybody claims Tank sightings, but there was only one Tank.

In fact the only way I could be fooled into thinking some non-Tank poster was Tank might be if I dropped a big tab of LSD, hallucinated Ted Thompson' voice emanating from a dog named Sam, and then began posting bizarre assertions regarding first round draft picks and evil GM schemes. In that case I might begin to believe that I was Tank.

Tank posting on acid might produce something way different, like a Canadian.

get louder at lambeau
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Harrell looked pretty good yesterday. Nothing amazing, but not bad for his first game action in how long?

swede
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Harrell looked pretty good yesterday. Nothing amazing, but not bad for his first game action in how long?

I was at the game last night, and I would agree that he looked all right, pushed the pocket a bit, but he didn't impress. He also looked uncomfortable between plays. Either his back is bugging him, or his trainer/physicians teach him to rotate and stretch his back during pauses on the field.

I think he will be the victim of a face-saving fourth week trade for some JAG so that the ultimate swing of the axe comes from somebody besides the Packers.

red
08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
I think he will be the victim of a face-saving fourth week trade for some JAG so that the ultimate swing of the axe comes from somebody besides the Packers.

thats not a bad idea, i wouldn't mind them trading him for a young second string RB. if grant were to go down for any time then i think we'd be in big trouble, b-jack just doesn't excite me at all

maybe crazy al could do us a favor and trade one of his first round bust to us for ours. i think Mcfadden could turn into a good player like most players that leave oakland

Brandon494
08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
McFadden isnt going cheap. If anything we would trade for another LB.