PDA

View Full Version : An Argument to Debunk Collins

Anti-Polar Bear
04-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Collins: T.T. badly wants Favre to return. First off, Favre is a legend in GB and he accidentally threw T.T. under the bus causing fans everywhere to tote the new, misunderstood Favre Company Line.

If Thompson wants Favre to return so bad as you indicates, then he should have done more for the Packers not just this off season but also last off season. Last year, Thompson dismantled a TOP 3 offense by releasing Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera and failing to find capable replacements for them. Furthermore, he failed on a grade scale to upgrade the defense. He fell in love with Arturo Freeman, Hannibal Navies, Ray Thompson and Earl Little. To say that the salary cap handicapped Thompson’s ability to upgrade the Packers in 05 is ridiculous and untrue. I've been arguing for a long time that Sherman didn’t mess up the cap up, and even did some research on Sherman's cap numbers as GM on JSONLINE to back up my arguments. Thompson apologists likes to say Sherman led the Pack into an inescapable cap hole. I am still waiting for the logic of that. SHOW ME SOME FVCKING NUMBERS; DON’T JUST KEEP ON SAYING IT!!! When you take inflation in both the salary cap and players' salaries into consideration, Sherman had proportionally less money to spend in each of his 3 seasons than then $7.5 mil Thompson had last year. The truth is Mike Sherman used the cap creatively (restructuring players contracts without jeopardizing the future cap; $35 mil this year is proof of that; even if Wahle, Sharper and Donovan Darius are on the roster this year, there would still be around $15-25 in cap room), and efficiently (making the most out of the money he had).

Favre did NOT "accidentally threw T.T. under the bus." If anything, Thompson PURPOSELY threw himself under it.

Collins: Fact is; he walked into a team with expiring contracts on 3 of its all pro offensive lineman with nobody in the wings to replace them and no money to keep them. Follow that up with the fact that the best players on defense where all grossly overpaid in the finial years of their bad contracts. Favre realizes the team is striped.

Mike Sherman waked into a team with expiring contracts of its TOP 2 TACKLES, it's top 2 defensive linemen (KGB and Hunt were the Packs top players back then), its top LB (before Barnett, there was Diggs), its TOP 2 corners (Mackenzie and Tyrone Williams), its top full back (Handerson), and its top RB (the great Ahman Green). Furthermore, Sherman had to deal with the contracts of GROSSLY overpaid offensive players (Antonio Freeman and Dorsey Leavens).

Sherman took care of business, even though he had LESS money to spend in each of his 3 seasons than Thompson had last year. He Won 3 division crowns. Pack have $35 mil this year. Show me, with NUMBERS, where Sherman screwed up the cap.

If Favre "realizes the team is striped," he would not have returned last season. Favre have indicated TIME AND TIME AGAIN that he wants to WIN. Mike Sherman must have been doing something right for Favre to come back after that disappointing playoff lost at home to the Viks.

IT WAS ONLY AFTER THOMPSON SHOWED UP THAT THE PACKERS EXPERINCED 4-12.

The realist in me knows those chances where shot when Wolf blew the 10th overall pick and the entire remaining portion of that draft while Sherman proceeded to completely bomb the following 3 drafts.

Wolf made up for miscue with KGB. Sherman's record speaks for itself. You say Sherman provided no depth with his draft picks. I say you are biased. Can you say Jue, Davanport, Lennon (undraft fa), Fisher (undraft FA), along with starters in Walker, Kampman, Barnett, Caroll and Harris (via trade; 2nd rd) and Glenn (via trade; 4th rd). To say Sherman bombed his drafted is idiotic.

Yeah, the Sanders pick. HOWEVER, it’s not as bad as Wolf bypassing Moss for Holliday or THOMPSON BYPASSING MANKINS FOR RODGERS. All GMs make mistakes. Sherman's record speaks for itself.

Thompson is as good as his track record suggests we're in for a great 5-10 years of football.

If you think going 4-12 makes good track record; if you think signing players such as Kleem, Thompson, Freeman, and Little makes a good track record; if you think signing a bunch of backups with $35 mil makes a good track record, then you know nothing about the NFL.
[/b]

Anti-Polar Bear
04-09-2006, 10:50 AM
double post

Fritz
04-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't agree that this is all TT's fault, Tank, but you do make a forceful case.

Bretsky
04-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't agree that this is all TT's fault, Tank, but you do make a forceful case.

It's undoubtedly not all TT's fault. Sherman had one good draft and two terrible ones, and whether it was Wolf or Sherman's decisions when they drafted Reynolds, Ferguson, and Marshall that was the draft that killed them the most.

Sherman was a lousy GM and average coach and didn't leave TT with a lot of depth or salary cap room.

That being said, Ted Thompson should have found a way to keep Mike Wahle. Sherman indicated to Wahle a full year before he left he'd take care of him and I have no doubt Wahle would still be a Packer if not for his removal of GM

Wahle was 26 in the prime of his career; even as a guard, you don't let those guys go.

If that meant sacrificing some inferior players, or even Bubba Franks, it should have been done.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-09-2006, 03:37 PM

and whether it was Wolf or Sherman's decisions when they drafted Reynolds, Ferguson, and Marshall that was the draft that killed them the most.

Sherman was a lousy GM and average coach and didn't leave TT with a lot of depth or salary cap room.

Reyonlds, Ferguson and Marshall were all part of Wolf's last draft. As a consequence Sherman had to find reliable replacements for those players and in that he was successful. Barnett for Marshall, Walker for Ferguson and Kampmen for Reynolds. Don't forget Sherman replaced Freeman with Glenn and Tyrone Williams with Harris.

The Polar Bear sought to replace Wahle with Klemm, Rivera with Whitticker, Sharper with little. The cap wasn't an issue. The Polar Bear is terrible.

Rastak
04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't know Tank, weren't the Packers over the cap when they released Wahle? Perhaps the could have immediately cut Sharper and worked something out with Wahle...however, Rivera was as good as gone. Also, don't forget Wahle didn't outright rip the Packers but he was less than happy in some of his interviews....maybe he wanted to leave. It seems not everyone was Sherman's pal.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't know Tank, weren't the Packers over the cap when they released Wahle? Perhaps the could have immediately cut Sharper and worked something out with Wahle...however, Rivera was as good as gone. Also, don't forget Wahle didn't outright rip the Packers but he was less than happy in some of his interviews....maybe he wanted to leave. It seems not everyone was Sherman's pal.

Sherman once was $6 mil over the cap. Did not only found a way to get under it but also was able to resign Diggs and KGB to luxurious contracts in the same off season.

Wahle have no leverage while he was still under contract with the Packers. Due a $6 mil roster bonus and if thompson had done what Sherman does best (restructure players contract to free up cap room without damaging the future), the Polar Bear couldve found the $ to pay Wahle. Even when Wahle becomes a f.a., thompson could still have matched Carolina's offer.

Polar Bear shouldve drafted Logan Mankins in the 1st rd to replace Rivera. He waited until the 7th to take a guard, Whitticker.

Sharper bolted after the Polar Bear asked him to take a pay cut. The good GM, Mike Sherman, would've turned some of Sharper's roster bonus and base salary into signing bonuses, and therefore lowing his 05 cap numbers.

I've said this before: Thompson is dull (lack of creativity) and dumb (ineffiecient). The Polar opposite of the 3rd greatest GM in Packer history, Mike Sherman.

RashanGary
04-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm at work but I'll get to this later :)

Guiness
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
wow tank - I'd near forgotten your pie in the sky salary cap shenanigans.

TT's lack of foresight last year was definitely correct, however. With the jump the cap took, keeping Wahle would've been simple.

I can never decide if they really didn't have the $$$, or if they honestly figured it was that easy to replace a guard.

swede
04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I can never decide if they really didn't have the $$$, or if they honestly figured it was that easy to replace a guard.

My guess is that Wahle didn't really want to be here. If he had, they probably would have worked something out instead of cutting him.
(Can you think of a better player ever cut from the team?)

But I also think you're right on with that second point. I'll bet they thought they could plug a guy in and still be okay.