PDA

View Full Version : Revis

Tony Oday
08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
So the guy wants a monster contract because well he deserves one based on play (Though I am not a huge fan of renegotiating it seems like with a year left on his deal that is usually when you redo a deal).

This being said why aren't teams offering a sign and trade deal to the Jets? I mean Imagine that guy in green and gold...ugh that would be awesome!!!!

What are your thoughts? Do they take a hard line or do they just cut ties?

retailguy
08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
So the guy wants a monster contract because well he deserves one based on play (Though I am not a huge fan of renegotiating it seems like with a year left on his deal that is usually when you redo a deal).

This being said why aren't teams offering a sign and trade deal to the Jets? I mean Imagine that guy in green and gold...ugh that would be awesome!!!!

What are your thoughts? Do they take a hard line or do they just cut ties?

Because the team that trades for him has to give up prime picks + the same huge contract.

Not impossible, but right now Chicago is out of draft choices, so there is no one to deal with.... :wink:

Little Whiskey
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Al + a late round pick for Revis?

Scott Campbell
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM

:lol:

Good one!

mraynrand
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM

:lol:

Good one!

How about Aaron Rodgers and a late round pick for Donovan McNabb?

red
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
there's a couple reasons why he isn't singed

the one major problem is al davis, that senile old fuck is screwing the whole league. he's giving out insane monster contracts left and right out there, that makes the other players around the rest of the league think they should also be getting that kind of money. al threw all the money in the world at Nnamdi Asomugha a year or two ago. it was an insane deal that everyone laughed at. last year revis became arguably the best CB in the nfl (well maybe second best to our own c-wood), now that its time for his new contract, he wants to be the top paid CB. the jets aren't as crazy and stupid as al davis so there's no way they're going to pay him the same kind of money that Asomugha got.

second, they have two pretty decent cb's other then revis. so they will survive without revis if he continues to demand crazy amounts of money

The Leaper
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
red...i hear you...BUT

The Jets are primed for a Super Bowl run NOW. They need Revis in order to do that. Just "surviving" ain't going to cut it, because the Jets have too many contracts coming up and they are going to lose talent in the near future. The Jets barely made the playoffs last year WITH Revis. They are a .500 team without him IMO. He can shut down any WR...their other 2 CBs aren't in that league.

Revis knows full well that the Jets yapping this offseason has placed a lot of pressure on their organization to make a push deep into the postseason. I don't think he is going to step on the field under his current contract...which is smart considering his market value. This is ugly...so I'm glad it isn't our problem.

DannoMac21
08-11-2010, 10:44 PM
All this talk about Revis maybe not playing this season is insane. I can't remember the last time a dude actually sat out all 16 games.

Tony Oday
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I would think we offer a 1st and a 5th for him...That would be awesome :) We are set for a run now as well!

Joemailman
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
All this talk about Revis maybe not playing this season is insane. I can't remember the last time a dude actually sat out all 16 games.

Sean Gilbert in 1997, and he is now reportedly advising Revis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/rex-ryan-acknowledges-that-sea.html

Lurker64
08-11-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think I would offer a lot for Revis, since if you trade for him you're going to have to offer him enough money so that he would actually play for you (he's not holding out because he dislikes the Jets, he's holding out because he wants more money), he would be the highest player on the team (unless you drafted #1 overall recently).

A young CB getting paid more than Woodson, Rodgers, Finley, Jennings, Grant, Matthews, etc. etc. etc. wouldn't do anything good for this team.

Tony Oday
08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
I don't think I would offer a lot for Revis, since if you trade for him you're going to have to offer him enough money so that he would actually play for you (he's not holding out because he dislikes the Jets, he's holding out because he wants more money), he would be the highest player on the team (unless you drafted #1 overall recently).

A young CB getting paid more than Woodson, Rodgers, Finley, Jennings, Grant, Matthews, etc. etc. etc. wouldn't do anything good for this team.

Great point there I guess he does want a $10 million a year contract. I am just looking at how awesome our corners would be :) Little Madden type thinking.

red
08-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Great point there I guess he does want a $10 million a year contract. I am just looking at how awesome our corners would be :) Little Madden type thinking.

actually, he wants more then 15 million a year

he's said he want a bigger contract then Nnamdi Asomugha got last year which was a 3 year deal for just over 45 million

Tarlam!
08-12-2010, 12:39 AM
The NFL really should force owner Al Davis to retire. It's one thing if his politics screw the Raiders.

I hope Revis and the Jets resolve this. It's not good for the game to have the 2nd best CB after Woodsen not playing Sundays.

BobDobbs
08-12-2010, 01:26 AM

He reportedly turned DOWN $120 Million over 10 years. Unknown how much of that was signing bonus. The Jets owner just said he doesn't think Revis will play this year. Still, with that much money on the table I don't think that he walks away for a year.

Lurker64
08-12-2010, 01:30 AM
He reportedly turned DOWN $120 Million over 10 years. Unknown how much of that was signing bonus. The Jets owner just said he doesn't think Revis will play this year. Still, with that much money on the table I don't think that he walks away for a year.

I think he's looking for big time guaranteed money, since he is acutely aware of the fact that the Jets promised Leon Washington last year that they would take care of him after the season, and then after Washington suffered an ugly injury, they just traded him away.

If the Jets were offering a 10 year contract, no way even most of it was guaranteed.

hoosier
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM

I think he's looking for big time guaranteed money, since he is acutely aware of the fact that the Jets promised Leon Washington last year that they would take care of him after the season, and then after Washington suffered an ugly injury, they just traded him away.

If the Jets were offering a 10 year contract, no way even most of it was guaranteed.

I read something yesterday (espn or Andrew Brandt's website) that reported that the Jets were not willing to discuss guaranteed money at all until the two sides could reach an agreement on the basic length and amount of a contract. That may sound a little like putting the cart before the horse, but it does help explain why the impasse.

Little Whiskey
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think he would have to miss the whole season to get his way. He could pull a Mike Mckenzie. I believe if you show up on week 11 don't you get credit for the full season? he could then somehow tweek and ankle and go to IR for the rest of the season.

doesn't he have like 3 years left on his current deal? got to be tough to redo a deal with 3 years left. once his deal is redone, who's the next to show up on the GM's door step with their hand out?