PDA

View Full Version : Breno Giacomini positive news!!!!!!!!!!!!

VermontPackFan
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Finally some good news we have all been waiting/hoping to hear about this kid...Preseason games will his proving ground.

Article by Jason Wilde @
http://espnmilwaukee.com

GREEN BAY – There’s an interesting story brewing on the Green Bay Packers’ offensive line, and it doesn’t involve first-round pick Bryan Bulaga, or the competition at left guard, or the two old, reliable bookend tackles.

No, what’s even more remarkable than Bulaga’s shift from left tackle, the renewed battle for the left guard job between Bulaga and incumbent Daryn Colledge and the age-defying work of Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton is this:

Breno Giacomini is having a good camp.

“He sure has,” offensive line coach James Campen said.

After two years of essentially redshirting after the Packers chose him in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Giacomini has shown so far in camp that he was worth the wait. He has been very good in the one-on-one pass-blocking drills and combination pass-blocking drills against the defensive linemen, and he’s been working with the No. 2 offensive line at right tackle while T.J. Lang – the presumptive heir to Tauscher at the position – has been working at right guard with the 2s and right tackle with the 3s for most of camp.

In fairness to Lang, he missed all of the organized team activity practices and the mandatory minicamp after having offseason wrist surgery in April, but to Giacomini’s credit, he’s more than taken advantage of his opportunity with Lang shaking off the rust.

“A guy like that, he sticks out in the huddle. You can see he’s a big man,” Campen said of the 6-foot-7, 318-pound Giacomini. “He plays the game with the right attitude – he’s a tough son of a gun. He’s very assignment sure – he very rarely has a mental error. He’s just got to play. He’s got to get out there and play. So this preseason is going to be big for him.

“It all looks like it’s going in the right direction for him, but now let’s get out there and play in these preseason games and see what happens. It’s very important for him.”

Giacomini will get that first opportunity on Saturday in the exhibition opener against the Cleveland Browns at Lambeau Field. While Tauscher and the rest of the starters will only play a series or two, Giacomini figures to get plenty of work. And he’ll have to fare better than he did last season, when he was beaten for a sack against the Buffalo Bills that left backup quarterback Matt Flynn with a separated shoulder that ended his preseason.

But he appears to be a better player than he was then, and the extensive work he’s been getting in practice hasn’t hurt. If McCarthy gives the veterans with seven years of NFL experience or more off Thursday morning, as he did last Thursday following the players’ first day off of camp, then Giacomini will get more work with the No. 1 offensive line at Tauscher’s right tackle spot.

“Anytime you get a chance to work with the 1s, anytime you get a chance to get some reps in, it’s always good,” Giacomini said. “I had a healthy offseason, thank God. I feel pretty good.”

That’s also a significant development for Giacomini, who missed all of the 2009 offseason after suffering an ankle injury during a December 2008 practice. At the time of the injury – initially diagnosed as a high ankle sprain but one that ended up requiring surgery – the coaches were selling Giacomini as vastly improved because of his daily work on the scout team against two-time Pro Bowler Aaron Kampman.

Having played tight end for three years in college at Louisville before moving to tackle, those offseason reps would have been invaluable to his development, which was clearly stunted by the time off.

“Especially at (the offensive tackle) position, development is not as quick as other positions,” Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. “A case in point would be the running back position. That’s a position that normally you have God-given ability, and if you can do it and hang onto the ball, if you can do it in high school or college, then there’s a pretty good chance you can do it in the NFL.

“It’s a little different in the offensive line. There are more little strategic things that you have to learn and technique things that you have to learn, and (that requires) patience. In the old days, you’d always get them and develop them and hardly ever would they play right away.”

As he continues that development, Giacomini still has a lot to prove. He never seriously challenged Allen Barbre in training camp last year for the vacated right tackle job after an injured Tauscher wasn’t re-signed, and in his career, he has been active for just three of a possible 33 games.

Last year, he inactive for 16 of the 17 games (including playoffs) the Packers played, and the one game he did suit up for – at Cleveland on Oct. 25 – he did not see the field. As a rookie, he dressed but did not play in the opener against Minnesota, then saw action only on special teams against Detroit the next week. He was inactive for the next 14 games, including following the ankle injury.

When Campen said earlier this offseason that Giacomini was competing with Tauscher for the right to start the Sept. 12 regular-season at Philadelphia – despite Tauscher signing a two-year deal this offseason that could be worth as much as $8.7 million – it was almost laughable. But while Tauscher remains the clear-cut starter, the 24-year-old Giacomini is starting to look like a reliable backup option along with Lang, whom the coaches remain high on.

“(It’s) very competitive. (With) T.J. missing all the spring, I thought they’ve (both) been competitive so far,” offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. “Those two guys are in a battle.”

And right now, Giacomini is fighting the good fight.

“I have no idea what it’s going to end up, I don’t think anybody does at this point,” Giacomini said. “I just go out there and just try to get better.”

Tarlam!
08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
“In the old days, you’d always get them and develop them and hardly ever would they play right away.”

:jack:

Sorry VPF, but I couldn't let this quote just slide. This is how TT's built the team, IMHO. The old school way.

Oh, and, yeah. How 'bout Breno, huh?

Scott Campbell
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
There's nothing like a good old fashioned August fluff piece. I love it. Go get em Breno!

RashanGary
08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
For some reason, maybe it's because I watched Barbre so close last year, i went to the three TC practices this year and had my eyes glued on the RT spot (not Tasch, Breno).

Most people aren't this anal, but I'll go and watch one guy for 3 hours and I did that with Breno. Literally, I had almost nothing to offer from my TC reports other than what I saw of Breno. I made a thread on it, but the guy looks very sure of his technique. Pickett gets movement on him with his bull rush, but there aren't too many DE's with Pickett's strength or leverage and even then, it's not like he's waving him by. It's more similar to Wells against top DT's. He stays in there, gets in the way, never gives up, but is maybe a little outmatched by the strongest of strong.

On Breno's good plays, he shuts his guy down. On his bad plays, he stays between the QB and the lineman until the bitter end.

I have a lot of comparison memory to go off with Barbre. I remember last year, him looking good on about 90% of the plays, but one in 10 he'd just bomb. The lesson I learned is that guys who aren't consistent are garbage. Like I said, for some bizarre reason I watched Breno this camp and he's consistent. I was surprised, but that's what I saw. I'm four good preseason games away from thinking of him as a really good young tackle prospect.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a hard time buying into this--because we heard the same things about Barbre that we are hearing about Breno.

VermontPackFan
08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a hard time buying into this--because we heard the same things about Barbre that we are hearing about Breno.

Spot on HW...
As we learned last year, NOTHING that happens in camp, preseason games or written in fluff articles like this really matters. It only matters when the whistle blows against Philadelphia. Thats when 99% of starters are back on the field and going full tilt.

Regardless, I was happy to see something positive written about him. I understand it means "Squadouche" at this point in time but it still made me feel better about our OL.

Lurker64
08-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, I could see Giacomini making the roster, but I still don't think he'll suit up on game days.

Assuming we suit up the same OL as ended the year (Clifton/Colledge/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher), we have Bulaga backing up LG and LT, Lang backing up RG and RT, and Spitz backing up the three interior positions. Giacomini is an RTO, so unless he's starting or there's an injury to one of those eight guys, he won't be on the game day active roster.

RashanGary
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Last year, with Barbre, I made a mistake in judgement. I thought he was going to be OK, partly because the Packers thought he was good and partly because I watched a lot of him at practice and he was decent 90% of the time and toasted only about 10%. I thought it was going to magically get better.

This year, I could understand someone not trusting my opinion. In fact, there's a chance I still have no clue what I'm looking at.

But, I feel like I've learned a lesson last year in watching Barbre. That lesson, inconsistency kills on the OL and it doesn't magically get better.

Because of that lesson, I think my opinion this year, of Giacomini, has a stronger base.

I think he's going to be a really good player, might even beat out Taucher. The reason? Because he's good at his job and consistent too!

ThunderDan
08-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Last year, with Barbre, I made a mistake in judgement. I thought he was going to be OK, partly because the Packers thought he was good and partly because I watched a lot of him at practice and he was decent 90% of the time and toasted only about 10%. I thought it was going to magically get better.

This year, I could understand someone not trusting my opinion. In fact, there's a chance I still have no clue what I'm looking at.

But, I feel like I've learned a lesson last year in watching Barbre. That lesson, inconsistency kills on the OL and it doesn't magically get better.

Because of that lesson, I think my opinion this year, of Giacomini, has a stronger base.

I think he's going to be a really good player, might even beat out Taucher. The reason? Because he's good at his job and consistent too!

That is exactly why Bishop doesn't start for the Packers. It happens all over the league. You have guys that are absolute studs but can't do it play in and play out and so they ride the bench. Teams can't afford to have players on the field that cost them points because of mental errors.

falco
08-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Teams can't afford to have players on the field that cost them points because of mental errors.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EvIR4ANfGsA/TCkBTbdHWHI/AAAAAAAAALI/9MXQnrnwL4w/s1600/Favre4.jpg

Joemailman
08-12-2010, 05:34 PM

My feeling about Barbre in the preseason last year was that he was getting the job done, but didn't look very good doing it. He would look slightly out of position but would recover. Problem was, once the regular season started, and the intensity level was increased, he was overmatched. So what I'll be looking for from Giaco is his positioning. If he's moving his feet well and not getting caught out of position, he has a chance to be very good. He has the size and intensity to be a very good player.

pbmax
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
The press drift was generally positive for Barbre, but I don't think too many people were reporting that he was doing well in pass protection. I remember many reports of him losing battles to the better OLBs and DEs. Wilde doesn't specify who Breno is beating, so its still an open question until we see him live.

mraynrand
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Hmmm... Giacomini is having a good camp and meanwhile Wynn is having a bad camp. Maybe the two are related?

Players are different - some need to have smoke blown up their ass because of their fragile egos. We'll see how nimble he looks against a below pedestrian Browns defense Saturday.

Joemailman
08-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Didn't think Giaco had a good night. Had a holding penalty and allowed some pressure in pass pro. Not sure right now how he looked in run blocking. Being a one position guy, he'll need to pick it up to make the team.

rbaloha1
08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Didn't think Giaco had a good night. Had a holding penalty and allowed some pressure in pass pro. Not sure right now how he looked in run blocking. Being a one position guy, he'll need to pick it up to make the team.

Agreed. Too inconsistent. Also showed positives.

Fritz
08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes, his game play did not seem to match up with his practice play.

KYPack
08-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Slow feet, mediocre kick step.

He may pick it up.

He's a marginal back-up right tackle.

Fritz
08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Only in Green Bay can fans get excited about a marginal back up right tackle. I love being a Packer fan!