PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Bednarik = Jealous DICKHEAD or just senile?

Reggie 92
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Let me preface this post by saying I think Bednarik was a hell of a player and have respect for his accomplishments. He was an 8 time pro-bowler and played both ways (Center and Linebacker). He's a Hall of Famer and played for 14 seasons for the Eagles.

The following is from the Philadelphia Enquirer website:
__________________________________________________ _________________

Speaking with reporters after practice at Lehigh, Bednarik was asked if Reggie White was his type of player.

"No," the 81-year-old Bednarik said. "I don't know why. There was something about him that distracted me from him."

Asked a few minutes later if he was a Reggie White fan, Bednarik reiterated the same thought. "No, not really," he said. "I don't know. At the time there was something about him that I just despised.".....
__________________________________________________ _________________

This is also a guy who publically said he was going to root against the Eagles in the Super Bowl in '05, a team he played for for 14 seasons.

Maybe he's losing his marbles, he is 81 years old. If not, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE KNOB! He obviously feels threatened by Reggie's legacy and accomplishments as an Eagle. I think it's commonly accepted that Reggie is known as one of the top 3-5 defensive players to ever walk on a football field and it appears Bednarik can't handle that he wasn't the best player to ever play in Philadelphia. What does Bednarik get from bashing Reggie and saying "he despised him" now that the man has passed away? He had plently of chances to voice his displeasure/problems with Reggie when he was alive and it appears cowardly, IMO, that he chose to say what he did now.

Chuck Bednarik can pound sand, what a prick.....

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 02:36 PM
To go Public about a player and man of Reggie White's stature -and as arguably, the ALL TIME Greatest Defensive Player - the game of football has known makes. . .

Chuck Bednarik a. . . (fill in the blank) and not too cool.

I learned a long time ago. If you don't have something nice to say about a person. . .

don't say it !!! :cool:

cheesner
08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
To go Public about a player and man of Reggie White's stature -and as arguably, the ALL TIME Greatest Defensive Player - the game of football has known makes. . .

I learned a long time ago. If you don't have something nice to say about a person. . .

Very funny! I guess you didn't learn tooooooo well - or did I miss the nice things you had to say about Mr. Bednarik?

Chester Marcol
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Sounds like he knows exactly what he doesn't like about Reggie. One of the greatest DE's and human beings to play the game and the best reason for not liking him is "At the time there was something about him that I just despised" or "There was something about him that distracted me from him". Here's a fun fact to help you if you don't know where I'm going with this. Bednarik is white.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I suppose that is possible, Tank, errr I mean Chester! :smile:

Who knows ... maybe Reggie's "Glory-be-to-God" routine rubbed ol' Chuck the wrong way.

That being said ... it's still in poor taste to come out with it now. But I have to wonder --- did Chuck go running to a microphone with this opinion, or did some reporter cram one in his face and pin him down for an opinion? I'll bet it was the latter.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Very funny! I guess you didn't learn tooooooo well - or did I miss the nice things you had to say about Mr. Bednarik?

aha. READ my post again and it's positive on Reggie and zero on Chuck Bednark.

I make a generalized statement on what I was taught by mentor's and sometime's YES I do fail but not in that post.cheesner. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2006, 04:37 PM
When your 81 there is no such thing as being in bad taste. Certain old people just don't give a fuck about what comes out of their mouth anymore. Just because Reggie was a Minister and all that shit, and was a great football player, doesn't mean that everyone has to kiss his ass and blabber on about how great he was and this and that.

I guess it is right before he is inducted in the hall of fame and everything, but he is 81 years old, maybe he realizes he doesn't have much longer to live and this might be the last time he is ask about his feelings on Reggie White.

Joemailman
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I think Chester may be right. Sounds to me like Bednarik has a reason for despising Reggie, but knows he better not say it.

cheesner
08-03-2006, 07:02 PM

I make a generalized statement on what I was taught by mentor's and sometime's YES I do fail but not in that post.cheesner. :mrgreen:
You have me there. :oops:

I must have thought you said 'don't say anything' instead of 'it'.

As far as Reggie not being liked - can't imagine how anyone can take offense to the man. Situations like this it is usually because the person has issues in his own life that he was not able to ever adjust to. When he sees a man so confident in himself; far more successful in his profession; who has NEVER waivered on his strong character: quite simply he resents it becasue he couldn't do it himself. He bent his own beliefs to be more successful, and he still fell short.

Okay. No more Dr. Phil for me.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM

You have me there. :oops:

I must have thought you said 'don't say anything' instead of 'it'.

As far as Reggie not being liked - can't imagine how anyone can take offense to the man. Situations like this it is usually because the person has issues in his own life that he was not able to ever adjust to. When he sees a man so confident in himself; far more successful in his profession; who has NEVER waivered on his strong character: quite simply he resents it becasue he couldn't do it himself. He bent his own beliefs to be more successful, and he still fell short.

Okay. No more Dr. Phil for me.

Absolutely, NO problem, cheesner. Fire away ! :mrgreen:

We don't have enough info. on this issue yet. Sometimes, the press can really screw a person.

Again. If I was advising a HOFer (especially a HOFer) on such a personal . .
-ve on Reggie White ( with no elaboration) Re: why he didnt like Reggie White, while he was in Philly . . .blaw blaw blaw ???

I'd clearly say to him. What are you thinking? Is that personal feeling going to hurt Reggie or HURT YOU - HOFer Chuck Bednarik?

There are certain sanctity's in LIFE. I feel that Chuck got to be a "little Chucky".

NOT COOL !! Worse than that as I see it - wrong - pointless.

Secondly. Why when Reggie White is deceased (1961-2004) and about to be inducted formally in "THE NFL Hall", and some negativity already exists in the Press now, regarding Reggie's commitments outside of football . .

Why jump on the sour grapes because you(Chuck) had a personal issue??

Clear selfishness!!! cheesner

green_bowl_packer
08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
This is a more complete article. Just a crazy old coot who's losiing his marbles from too many shots to the head.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/15184152.htm

Eagles Notes | Bednarik not a fan of Reggie White

Eagles Notes

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The late Reggie White has been almost universally praised this week as his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame approaches Saturday.

But another Hall of Famer, former Eagles center and linebacker Chuck Bednarik, did not contribute to the praise yesterday.

Speaking with reporters after practice at Lehigh, Bednarik was asked if Reggie White was his type of player.

"No," the 81-year-old Bednarik said. "I don't know why. There was something about him that distracted me from him."

Asked a few minutes later if he was a Reggie White fan, Bednarik reiterated the same thought. "No, not really," he said. "I don't know. At the time there was something about him that I just despised."

Then Bednarik added: "My memory is pretty bad, so I don't remember those things."

Bednarik, who made eight Pro Bowl appearances, the most by any Eagle, recently repaired a rift with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie.

A devout Catholic, Bednarik said he had received orders from a higher power to patch things up.

God "kind of told me to apologize to the guy, and I did," Bednarik said.

Bednarik had said he hoped the Eagles would lose the Super Bowl to the New England Patriots in February 2005, but now he says he is an Eagles fan again.

"Chuck, I guess, said some things about when we were in the Super Bowl, rooting against us," Lurie said. "There was some resentment of that, but he wanted to apologize, [and] I always have welcomed Chuck" at training camp and games.

Homer Jay
08-03-2006, 11:56 PM
1. He's 81.
2.He is a WWII hero.
3.He didn't like Reggie.

Conclusion? Let him say whatever the hell he wants to. My guess is Reggie would say the same.

Noodle
08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
He's actually a complicated, or at least a very bitter, man. I'm not talking about the White thing either.

At bottom, Bednarik thinks he's the last of the true football players, and probably the greatest of all time. And he was great, with an amazing story about coming up from a really tough background.

But he's a mean man who thinks he never got his due, and he can't stand the current crop of players (he's had this view for years).

For you youngsters, Bednarik blew up Frank Gifford with an upper body/head shot that is one of the most famous hits in NFL history. He also stopped Jim Taylor from scoring on the last play in the 1961 title game, the Eagles last championship.

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I wonder if Mike Bednarik is somehow related... he was the Libertarian presidential candidate in the last electiion.

mraynrand
08-04-2006, 08:52 PM
"He also stopped Jim Taylor from scoring on the last play in the 1961 title game, the Eagles last championship."

----

And he sat on him for nine seconds, preventing the Packers from running another play, and possibly winning the game. I have a NFL classics clip of this on video and it looks worse than I've described it. He's a cheap-shot artist. A bit crafty, definitely hard-nosed. But if you're a true Packer fan, there's no way you can like this guy. Maybe he's senile - all the more reason for this blow-hard to shut the hell up.

Creepy
08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Different NFL and different people. Bednarik was a fighter pilot in WWII of Korea can't rememebr which. Last of the ironmen, last player to play 60 minutes of ball and that was also in the Championship game. He has always spoke his mind and cared less what other thought.

As for disliking Reggie, how many Packer fans or others thought GB was getting a nutcase when he was saying "God told me to go to GB"? How many people got a little tired of the God thing for evry injury he returned from or other things in his life. His remarks about gays & latinos was not looked favorably on.

Persnally, I liked Regiie and I liked the way he acted, as for Bednarik, he is entitle to his thoughts. One lastthing, my wife has a way of saying things, that people should rememebr, "If you don't like the answer, then you shouldn't have asked the question."

KYPack
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Chuck is a strange and bitter old guy. He's jealous of modern players and the money they make & wishes he was getting some of that jack.

His record is great, from the 30+ combat missions over Europe in WWII to a stellar HOF NFL career.

His record is also overblown and he has made a fool of himself as he grows older. In fact, if it hadn't have been for coaching errors by Vince Lombardi, Chuck might be a forgotten footnote in NFL history.

The myth is that Bednarik was a dominating player on offense and defense as the Eagles dominated the Pack 17 - 13 in the 1960 NFL Championship game.

The truth is a little less legendary. The Eagles got run all over on defense and on offense has less than 100 yards against the Packer D. Henry Jordan and Ray Nitschke pushed Chuck all over the field on defense, and the Eagle rushing attack consisted of a couple big plays.

On offense, Taylor and Hornung ran over, around, and thru Bednarik and totally dominated the Eagles.

Look at the numbers:

Rushing yardage

GB 223
Phi 99

1st Downs

GB 22
Phi 13

Total Yds

GB 401
Phi 303

Passing
GB 21 - 35
Phi 9 - 20

This game is upside down! You can look for years and not find a winner from the short end of those statistics.

How did the Pack lose?

Basically by the coaching errors of their 2nd year coach, Vince Lombardi. Twice in the first half, Lombardi went for it on 4th and short deep in Eagle territory... and failed. If the Pack converted on both of these 4th down plays and scored, they win by the margin you'd expect with that statistical differential - 27 - 17. Or if they cash the two gimme field goals, they win 19 - 17

But they didn't and Bednarik is glorified for his tackle of Taylor at the gun. Great tackle... 13 YARDS DOWNFIELD. Chuck had a mediocre game and has been crowing about it for all these years.

Listen to Artie Donovan (HOF tackle for the Baltimore Colts) talk about Chuck and his big mouth. Chuck was a poor to average center and was too slow to play linebacker in 1956. The "play both ways" was as much the Eagles being cheap as it was Bednarik being such a great player.

He caught lightening in a bottle by making two big media splashes:

- Leveling media darling Frank Gifford in New York on national TV
- Playing both ways (poorly) in the 1960 Championship game.

He oughta be thankful he did those two "big things"instead of bitching about his current lot.

Creepy
08-07-2006, 09:21 AM
KY,
Are you about 60 years old? Did you see the game? Art Donovan ofthe Colts said he was too slow for LB, big beal.

Saw the game on ESPN classic and the tackle to stop Tayloy was made 13 yards downfield but 7 yards short of a TD. With the tackle GB did not have enugh time to run another play and that is what he was supposed to do.

As for the starting centre in 60, he was putthere because the regular center went down in pre-season. So the starting MLB ended up being the starting center also. It wasn't being cheap it was actually usingthe talent available, as Bednarik had been a center earlier in his career.

Now look at the age, he was a fighter pilot in WWII, and didn't get into the NFl until after the war. He was 35 at the time the 59 chanpinship was played. These were the days of 39 man rosters so ewverybody played on ST and now he was the starting center and MLB. In the decades of what todays sports medicine owuld have called medievil. Had to work during off-season to feed his family and noe of the off-season goddies that todays players have.

He is the HoF for more than just making a hit on Gifford and one stop on Taylor. You may not like what he says, but don't put down what he did.

Row 67
08-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe he didn't like the fact that Reggie left the Eagles to play for a team that used to be a rival of his Eagles?

Creepy
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
KY,
One last item before you say he didn't merit the Hall,
8 time all-pro
MVP - all star game (1954)
Voted NFL all 50 year team
Voted to NFL 75 year (two way team)
Voted to Maddens all meillenium team
MLB/Center on two NFL Championship teams

Seems like he was alittle better than what Donvoan remembered.

Doesn't matter how many yards GB got on the ground, on the last play he made it, GB didn't.

KYPack
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
KY,
Are you about 60 years old? Did you see the game? Art Donovan ofthe Colts said he was too slow for LB, big beal.

Saw the game on ESPN classic and the tackle to stop Tayloy was made 13 yards downfield but 7 yards short of a TD. With the tackle GB did not have enugh time to run another play and that is what he was supposed to do.

As for the starting centre in 60, he was putthere because the regular center went down in pre-season. So the starting MLB ended up being the starting center also. It wasn't being cheap it was actually usingthe talent available, as Bednarik had been a center earlier in his career.

Now look at the age, he was a fighter pilot in WWII, and didn't get into the NFl until after the war. He was 35 at the time the 59 chanpinship was played. These were the days of 39 man rosters so ewverybody played on ST and now he was the starting center and MLB. In the decades of what todays sports medicine owuld have called medievil. Had to work during off-season to feed his family and noe of the off-season goddies that todays players have.

He is the HoF for more than just making a hit on Gifford and one stop on Taylor. You may not like what he says, but don't put down what he did.

I'm 57. I saw that game and several others that CB played in.

You aren't reading me correctly. Chuck's in the hall and he deserves it. I don't take anything from Chuck that he earned and he earned the HOF.

But he is a braggart and a bitter old dude who is a piss poor sport. More on that later.

Chuck wasn't a crack MLB who switched to center for the good of his team. Chuck had been phased out at MLB several seasons earlier. Chuck moved from MLB to center in '57. He was too slow and replaced by Bob Pellegrini the Eagles #1 pick in '56.

In 1960, in the 9th game, Pellegrini broke his leg. Chuck moved back to his old MLB spot. In the last 3 games he played both ways. And played LB BETTER than he did 4 - 5 years before.

But, people don't know (or remember) that center in those days was about 80% easier than it is now. Most teams strictly played a "43 under" on defense in those days. This meant that Chuck was uncovered in most plays, espec. passes. This means that Chuck played about 4 seasons as a mediicre center against 43 unders.

Then came the big championship season and game and the huge hit on Gifford. If Chuck hadn't had those big media events, he might not have made the HOF. I do think he deserves it, but that stuff certainly clinched it for him.

What I mainly object to with Chuck is his crabby old "foggyisms".

He's gotta bitch, bitch, bitch about the current players and game. There were things that were cooler in the old days, but in general the game is bigger faster, quicker and so are the guys. Chuck is totally negative & it pisses me off.

I'll give you an example of Chuck's bullshit. In '96, Chuck had his book published (60 minute man). It tanked. To try and spike sales, Chuck approached the Eagles' owner Lurie to convince him to buy 100 copies of the book to give to the team. Lurie refused. Chuck has been a totally bitter old prick ever since toward the Eagles.

In 2005, Chuck said he was rooting for the Patroits ijn the Super Bowl, minly becasue of this incident and other slights. He needs to meet with Fuzzy or some of our Alums to get an attitude adjustment.