PDA

View Full Version : Oh, how I miss Green Bay training camp.....

GBRulz
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone! I know it's been a bazillion years since I've been on the forum. Enjoying life in SC to the fullest! Other than the Braves, people really don't get into pro sports at all down here. Now, college on the other hand is a different story. I'm smack dab in the middle between Clemson and USC. Pretty awesome rivalry, but yet I will always cheer for Bucky...

Anyhow, so today I went with some friends to go check out the Panthers at training camp. Yeah, dozens of people were spectating. Ok, maybe 250-300 max. What a joke.

It just made me realize how special Green Bay really is and why so many people love them. I guess when you live there, you take everything for granted. I can't tell you how much I miss driving past Lambeau on a daily basis. Running into players at the grocery store...or having a beer with Aaron :) Most of all, I really miss the whole training camp experience. Unfortunately, being away from GB has taught me to appreciate it more. I'll briefly share with you my experience at today's Panthers practice.

They practice about 30 minutes from me in the city of Spartanburg at Wofford College. The facility itself is beautiful. They have three full size football fields, with two of them being parallel to each other. Now, imagine walking down a hill with people scattered across in lawn chairs. At the bottom of the hill is one field, with the other directly past it. You would think that practice would be held closer to the fans, but no. You could walk to the far left endzone of the field they were practicing on, but yet they held all their drills on the right side. Needless to say, 50 yards away are about as close as you're going to get to the "action." and let me say that I use that term loosely. Nobody was cheering. Nobody was talking about the players or getting excited about the season. Granted the 110 degree heat can add crabbiness, no doubt...but still. The whole experience just sucked.

Thanks for listening to my rant.... the whole thing just really made me homesick for some GB football! I'm not sure I'll be back for any home games this year as I just went back home for a two-week visit in April. However, I do have my hotel and tickets for the Packers @ Falcons game, Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll try to upload a picture or two from today, however from being so far away, I'm not sure you could make out the dots, er, I mean players :wink:

btw, I thought PR was going to be completely redesigned or something....like last year?? Did the owner lost interest already?

GBRulz
08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/photo.jpg

A Sunday afternoon in Spartanburg, SC...dozens of people watching the Panthers practice....

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I think you need to take a visit to Packers training camp.

Little Whiskey
08-16-2010, 08:11 AM
sad

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I've seen high schools with more people at practice.

Nice to see you Michele!

mraynrand
08-16-2010, 10:27 AM
btw, I thought PR was going to be completely redesigned or something....like last year?? Did the owner lost interest already?

It looks like all but about 30-40 people have lost interest. Could try http://packersnews.net/phpBB2/

Good to see you around!

mraynrand
08-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I've seen high schools with more people at practice.

Could be the new picture for the new "Homepage" - would reflect the relative interest accurately.

KYPack
08-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Hang in there, GBM.

Lot's of us leave the Tundra, but it never leaves our hearts.

People in other parts of the country all do the same things us Cheeseheads do, but none of 'em do it right!

It's great to leave that Arctic Weather, but there is some stuff that you have to go back there to get.

It does sound like it's time for a roadie.

MadtownPacker
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM

It looks like all but about 30-40 people have lost interest. Could try http://packersnews.net/phpBB2/

Good to see you around!Man, what a bitch-azz thing to post. Wish I could smoke your account still.

Whats up GBM? You havent been around this shithole much either? I have been mega busy being a GDamn grown-up too much lately. Need to come back on here and act a fool with all these albino face wretches.

Joemailman
08-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow! What is this? Homecoming week? :D Where you hiding Bretsky?

MadtownPacker
08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow! What is this? Homecoming week? :D Where you hiding Bretsky?Bretsky is gone? WTF??? I see this place needs a little shaking up. How you been Joe, you damn German.

Joemailman
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
He's not exactly gone, but he hasn't posted in a while.

I'm well, now that our humidity fest seems to have ended around here.

mraynrand
08-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Good to see you around!Man, what a bitch-azz thing to post. Wish I could smoke your account still.

You can't! Hahahahaha!!! Slacker. :taunt: Wish I could find a real homepage.

CaptainKickass
08-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Need to come back on here and act a fool with all these albino face wretches.

MTP - The legend continues

The board picks up when football kicks in, as per the norm (Norm!!) All the old schoolers show up first.

But am glad to see everyone's still "around".