PDA

View Full Version : Browns bring the heat on Rodgers

pack4to84
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100738149.html

In all, Rodgers's 13 dropbacks broke down this way: two rushes with four men, six with five, three with six and two with seven. That computes to an astronomical 84.6% blitz (five or more), including a just as astronomical 38.5% all-out blitz (six or more).

Rodgers completed 10 of 11 passes against the blitz for 139 yards and a touchdown, including 5 of 5 for 64 yards against all-out blitzes.This Man is on a mission

By contrast, defensive coordinator Dom Capers never sent more than five all night, finishing with a blitz rate of 17.4%. It should be noted, however, that Capers' No. 1 defense blitzed 30.8% in the first three exhibition games a year ago.
Proof that Capers did tone it down.

Brando19
08-16-2010, 09:26 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100738149.html

In all, Rodgers's 13 dropbacks broke down this way: two rushes with four men, six with five, three with six and two with seven. That computes to an astronomical 84.6% blitz (five or more), including a just as astronomical 38.5% all-out blitz (six or more).

Rodgers completed 10 of 11 passes against the blitz for 139 yards and a touchdown, including 5 of 5 for 64 yards against all-out blitzes.This Man is on a mission

By contrast, defensive coordinator Dom Capers never sent more than five all night, finishing with a blitz rate of 17.4%. It should be noted, however, that Capers' No. 1 defense blitzed 30.8% in the first three exhibition games a year ago.
Proof that Capers did tone it down.

There's no need to worry about our defense. It's the preseason...watch Rodgers' interview after the game...he laughed and said they didn't even show anything. When we play the Eagles...Kolb better be ready.

sharpe1027
08-16-2010, 09:27 AM
For a first preseason game, that is ridiculous. It seems the Browns were trying to prove a point. Maybe trying to build some confidence in themselves?

Little Whiskey
08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Rodgers completed 10 of 11 passes against the blitz for 139 yards and a touchdown, including 5 of 5 for 64 yards against all-out blitzes.

I doubt this was much of a confidence booster! :lol:

hoosier
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
For a first preseason game, that is ridiculous. It seems the Browns were trying to prove a point. Maybe trying to build some confidence in themselves?

Probably. Couldn't something similar be said about Capers in 2009 preseason?

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Rodgers completed 10 of 11 passes against the blitz for 139 yards and a touchdown, including 5 of 5 for 64 yards against all-out blitzes.

I think it was a huge confidence booster for our OL. They handled the blitzing pretty well, even though they probably weren't prepared for it.

sharpe1027
08-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Not a bad comparison except that this isn't Ryan's first year as D-coordinator. Why did he still feel the need to blitz every down?

Little Whiskey
08-16-2010, 10:35 AM

I think it was a huge confidence booster for our OL. They handled the blitzing pretty well, even though they probably weren't prepared for it.

or else rodgers decided to throw the ball.

KYPack
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Not a bad comparison except that this isn't Ryan's first year as D-coordinator. Why did he still feel the need to blitz every down?

Both Ryan boys are nuts, just like their dad.

Bringing 6 almost 40% of the time?

Why bring the house in the first pre-season game?

All I can figure out is maybe he wants everybody to prepare for a blitz happy defense, then play vanilla on 'em to start the season?

mraynrand
08-16-2010, 10:52 AM

There was some talk here in Cleveland about some payback for last year - both preseason blitzing and some crap in the regular season. I don't know what they're talking about though - I was along the sideline at the regular season game, and the entire Browns squad looked totally listless. Maybe Big Show sent down an edict to do everything to win that game. Wouldn't shock me.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Who gets even during the preseeason?

hoosier
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM

What do you mean? For the Browns the preseason is the season. After Opening Day they're no longer undefeated and it's all downhill from there.

Fritz
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM

I was thinking more about the one-year coordinator - was that Slowik? - who blitzed like a Nazi in the preseason. It worked wonders and everyone got pumped up. Then the defense got torn to shreds in the regular season.

falco
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

I was thinking more about the one-year coordinator - was that Slowik? - who blitzed like a Nazi in the preseason. It worked wonders and everyone got pumped up. Then the defense got torn to shreds in the regular season.

Slowik's defense looked awesome in the first game against Carolina, who I think had just been to the superbowl. But after that first game, people realized they could just throw at Michael Hawthorne (WHO?) all day long, and the defense fell apart.

hoosier
08-16-2010, 02:41 PM

"Blitzed like a Nazi" is very funny. First it made me think of Godwin's law (as an online discussion continues the chances that a Hitler comparison will rear its head approach 1). But then I began to think about Slowik, who I haven't thought about in a long time. It seems likely to me that his defensive plan was put in place because of something that happened the year before...Remember all the criticism that Donnatell and the Packers got for playing it conservative on 4th and 26 and only sending three or four when the Eagles had consistently shown they were unable to handle pressure? Well, Slowik'sdefense was the bastard offspring of monumental overcompensation after 4th and 26. And Slowik was Sherman's fault too, not just because he hired him but because if hadn't punted on 4th and 1 then 4th and 26 never happens and Donnatell is still the Packer DC.

retailguy
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Yup. 4th and 1. <sigh> :?

mraynrand
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM

http://media.cleveland.com/plutoblog_impact/photo/mangini-holmgren-lijpg-d196d889c29c295b_large.jpg :D

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 08:31 PM

or else rodgers decided to throw the ball.

And that worked too.

Joemailman
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM

Both Ryan boys are nuts, just like their dad.

Bringing 6 almost 40% of the time?

Why bring the house in the first pre-season game?

All I can figure out is maybe he wants everybody to prepare for a blitz happy defense, then play vanilla on 'em to start the season?

Winning a preseason game and building some confidence is more important for a 5-11 team than it is for an 11-5 team.

Fritz
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Sincd this is a thread about blitzing and therefore about blocking, I noticed that Colledge got more snaps at left guard yesterday than Bulaga. Colledge is also saying all the right things - the "we" of team. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.