PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rush

Ballboy
08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Anyone else here concerned about the pass rush or lack of?

I know, Matthews was out and we only blitzed 18% of the plays.

I really wanted to see what Chillar could do, and it really wasn't much.

Poppy - was he even out there?

Any ideas for pick-ups or available players?

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM

It's a concern because it was inconsistent last year. It's not a concern because of the results on Saturday. You aren't going to get much pressure from a 3-4 without blitzing. 3-4 DL aren't going to be your primary source of pressure--as you want big guys that hold their ground. Jenkins and Raji should be able to provide some push, but not without the LBs bringing pressure, as well. I have major concerns if Matthews isn't able to play most of the 16 games.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd love to see another lineman in the mix.

Patler
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM

I'm never worried about anything after just one preseason game. Not yet.

Tony Oday
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Not at all.

Fritz
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm never worried about anything after just one preseason game. Not yet.

I mostly worry about injuries.

retailguy
08-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I mostly worry about the shiny luster wearing off of Ted's white hair.

pittstang5
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Poppy - was he even out there? - He did better than I thought he would...had some nice pressure here and there.

Gunakor
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah, and he had a pretty decent outing. Got some pressure on the QB from time to time. And I recall one beautiful pass break up over the middle. It wasn't a pro bowl outing or anything like it, but rather impressive coming from the 6th LB in the pecking order. I was happy with Poppy's performance.

CaliforniaCheez
08-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't expect much in the preseason with Dom Capers running a lot of base defense with little blitzing.

The first 2 preseason games are just experimenting with players to see what they can do.

Fred's Slacks
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
It looked to me that, at least early on when we were having the issues with the no 1's, that Cle was using alot of 3 step drops and Delhomme was getting the ball out quickly. The Def problems seemed more like missed assignments and poor technique rather than no pass rush. Not to excuse it as it was definatly a problem last year and we haven't shown that we fixed it. But I don't think it was a huge concern from this last game.

Freak Out
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of rain in Seattle next Saturday night. :)

It's the pre-season....as long as there are no injuries it's ok. The young guys will get snaps and the chance to impress the coaches.

wist43
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
The entire effort looked like an excercise in laziness... I'm not worried about effort though.

There are 4 critical factors for the Packers to improve their pass rush, 1)they have to account for the loss of Jolly, and generate more push from the DL 2) Jones needs to improve, and show more burst and consistancy 3) the corners need to show marked improvement, and 4) Capers needs to grow a pair.

That's a hefty list.

I'd be happy to be able to generate last years pass rush... Overall, I'm not expecting any improvement out of the defense.

KYPack
08-16-2010, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention one thing. Harrell had a really solid game. He could be part of Wist's answer. He always had some pressure from his LDE spot.

Jones showed some flashes and looks more physical this season. I can't say I buy or understand why they are flopping CMIII and Jones, but in dom we trust, I guess.

Gunakor
08-17-2010, 01:17 AM
I can't say I buy or understand why they are flopping CMIII and Jones, but in dom we trust, I guess.

They switched sides so that CMIII and Cullen Jenkins aren't lining up on the same side of the formation. Jenkins and Matthews are our 2 best pass rushers. The hope in making this switch is that we can generate consistent pressure from both the left and the right side, rather than last year when most of the pressure came from the same side of the formation. I really like the switch.

vince
08-17-2010, 06:18 AM
I agree with this switch too. With Kampman being established on the other side last year, there was only one place to put Matthews initially. And you wouldn't make that move in midseason.

I seem to recall Matthews playing both sides in college, so there's no reason to think he'll have an inordinantly difficult time adjusting.

With predominantly right handed QB's the left-side of the defense is the offense's strong side more often than not, so that may also give Matthews more space to use his speed coming off the line in his rush, unless teams keep the tight end in to double team him, which also should be a good thing overall.

On the downside, QB's will more readily see him coming, so while his pressures may go up, it might be tougher for him to get to the QB.