PDA

View Full Version : Pin the Blame on the Special Team's Donkey

swede
08-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I am going to put on the blindfold first, get spun around twice, and pin the blame on....Mike McCarthy's balls!

If Mike McCarthy had a clear vision for special teams, an articulated preference for a particular style of covering and returning kicks and punts, or even an adequate understanding of basic NFL special teams organization we would have seen improvement over the last three years.

We have seen a greater EMPHASIS on special teams, but so far the results are wanting. Yes we have had trouble finding a returner. That can be Ted's fault. But the next fully formed wedge I see in front of a kick returner will be the first one.

If Mike knew what he wanted to see out of his special teams, and I mean specifically and quantitatively, then he would have hired the right coach by now to do things the way he wants things done. I don't think either of them have a clue.

Right now special teams are a continuing embarrassment, and if Mike had any balls he'd fire Shawn Slocum while we still have time to prepare for the season.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Just watched the game. Coverage wasn't a huge problem. Returning sucked (a fumble, a couple of muffs), but I don't anticipate anybody that returned a kick to be doing it in the regular season. You didn't see Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams, or Jordy Nelson returning. Kickoffs were good. Made our only FG attempt. Punting was okay. Both guys did very well--until their last punt.

swede
08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Harvey!

How are we going to play the blame game if you go all reasonable on me?

NewsBruin
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Haven't gotten to see a full Packers' game in a long time, so I'll take your post as a given.

Still, I wanted to throw in that the NFL has outlawed "fully-formed wedge"s. The max you can have together is two, correct?

swede
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Haven't gotten to see a full Packers' game in a long time, so I'll take your post as a given.

Still, I wanted to throw in that the NFL has outlawed "fully-formed wedge"s. The max you can have together is two, correct?

I'd settle for one.

I'd also congratulate you for being smart enough to accept Harv's post as a given.

For a while my signature was, "When in doubt, trust Harvey."

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I am going to put on the blindfold first, get spun around twice, and pin the blame on....

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/253133ck.gif

swede
08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Didn't he use to be asleep?

Joemailman
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I honestly don't worry about special teams that much. Last year the top 3 special teams units were on Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Buffalo. Indianapolis and New Orleans ranked 28 and 29. I'm not saying I'm happy with the Packers ranking of 31, but some modest improvement would be enough. You can win a Super Bowl without top notch special teams.

My main thing is, I want Crosby to be consistent from inside 50, and I want the kickoff coverage teams to avoid long returns. Any thing else is gravy.

ThunderDan
08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Just watched the game. Coverage wasn't a huge problem. Returning sucked (a fumble, a couple of muffs), but I don't anticipate anybody that returned a kick to be doing it in the regular season. You didn't see Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams, or Jordy Nelson returning. Kickoffs were good. Made our only FG attempt. Punting was okay. Both guys did very well--until their last punt.

Got to disagree Harvey. On one of the Packer punter the outside contain (not the gunner) ran to the hash mark and the return ran right down the sideline. There were fundimental coverage lapses.

And was there any blocking on our returns? As much as we want to blame the return guys, it seemed like on most punts 4 Browns were down the field without getting touched.

The punters actually looked good until the end.

Gunakor
08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
But the next fully formed wedge I see in front of a kick returner will be the first one.

And we'll be flagged for it. Rules changed last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/sports/football/24nfl.html

...the penalty will be devastating: 15 yards from the spot of the foul if a wedge intentionally forms. Considering that wedges usually form somewhere between the 10- and 15-yard lines, it is likely the penalty would instead be assessed as half the distance to the goal line.

I'd hope it would be the last one too.

retailguy
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I am going to put on the blindfold first, get spun around twice, and pin the blame on....

Let me guess. You come from the Obama school of Management, right?

Scott Campbell
08-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Do you really think I could get into Harvard?

retailguy
08-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Do you really think I could get into Harvard?

Surely they have a mascot position you could qualify for.

Fritz
08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
ST seems to be an area where the coach can make a tremendous difference. It's clear less talented teams can have good special teams play (see reference above to rankings). So maybe this is a coaching issue. I can see MM not wanting to change coaches AGAIN, but geez, it doesn't look too great so far.

mraynrand
08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I think we have our scapegoat (from the training camp thread)

http://www.facebook.com/people/Quinn-Porter/117800262

"Interests:
Money
And
Mo' Money"

Fritz
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
But what do we do if he doesn't even make the team? Who can we blame?

No, we need someone more well-established. Maybe Slocum, maybe ol' Jarrett Bush. He's pretty reliable. Or maybe Dave Redding.

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Starting position after kickoffs:

Average = 24

Net punt average:

36 (touchback on a decent punt by Masthay that took an unfavorable bounce)
42 (downed at the 5)
24 (bad punt, 15 yard return, 5 yard penalty)

Average = 37.7 (38.5 without the penalty)

Those aren't bad numbers. Certainly, not anything to get worked up about. Of course, the return game was a different story, but until we get the returners in that we'll have during the regular season, I won't be that worried.

rbaloha1
08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
What's up with Slocum?