PDA

View Full Version : Harris May Return Next Week

Joemailman
08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Al-Harris-could-return-to-practice-Monday.html

I don't see him starting Week 1, but he could be in there in the nickel and dime packages. I don't think he'll be put on the PUP list, therefore out 6 weeks, as some have speculated.

Lurker64
08-17-2010, 07:03 PM
According to Bedard's twitter, he was doing some running on the field at practice tonight.

falco
08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Would be a huge benefit just to have him on the field day 1, assuming he is in playing shape.

Everyone knows I am a big T-Will fan, but I would not be surprised to see Al never gain back the starting CB role.

VermontPackFan
08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
How can you not fall in love with Al Harris? I say he will be the starting LCB game 1 in Philadelphia, where his career started.

packerbacker1234
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
He will be starting week one, barring a set back. If he is cleared to practice, that means he is cleared. Aka, FULL GO, and we all know harris has kept himself in prestine playing shape this entire time.

Sometime tells me they bring him along slower then usual just to get him back into his routine, but if he starts showing signs of being the Al of old in practice, and possibiliy in the 4th preseason game in a little bit of action, I see no reason t will stays starting over him, though I don't really know which is better overall - but either way having harris back sures up the nickle position.

MJZiggy
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
According to Bedard's twitter, he was doing some running on the field at practice tonight.

Dear Bedard. He's been running for weeks. It's cutting he needs to be able to do before he can go full tilt. How can a professional sports writer not know that?

mraynrand
08-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Dear Bedard. He's been running for weeks. It's cutting he needs to be able to do before he can go full tilt. How can a professional sports writer not know that?

Did Bedard say anything about cutting or being full tilt?

rbaloha1
08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Good news. AH is a gamer. Expect other teams to test with AH winning majority of battles.

RashanGary
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
We need Harris bad. I watched the game yesterday. Underwood got burned badly on two consecutive plays. The first, a 4th and 1. Underwood had obvious underneath coverage in cover 2. He let his guy run an out, didn't jump the route and gave up the 1st down. I said to my brother, "that is inexcusable. He's been here for two years. If he can't figure out to play the short stuff aggressively when he has underneath responsibility, then he shouldn't be on the field". Next day (today) I read McGinn's article where he chastised Underwood for that idiotic play.

It's disappointing because that's our fucking nickle cornerback until Al comes back. I was worried about the CB's. Now I'm terrified. We need to trade, even if the guy has low upside, we need a guy who is not a retard out there playing corner. He's had 18 months to figure out how to play the most basic coverage and can't get it. Enough of that fucking experiment. Next contestant please.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
We need Harris bad. I watched the game yesterday. Underwood got burned badly on two consecutive plays. The first, a 4th and 1. Underwood had obvious underneath coverage in cover 2. He let his guy run an out, didn't jump the route and gave up the 1st down. I said to my brother, "that is inexcusable. He's been here for two years. If he can't figure out to play the short stuff aggressively when he has underneath responsibility, then he shouldn't be on the field". Next day (today) I read McGinn's article where he chastised Underwood for that idiotic play.

It's disappointing because that's our fucking nickle cornerback until Al comes back. I was worried about the CB's. Now I'm terrified. We need to trade, even if the guy has low upside, we need a guy who is not a retard out there playing corner. He's had 18 months to figure out how to play the most basic coverage and can't get it. Enough of that fucking experiment. Next contestant please.

Yeah, he had a couple of ugly plays. I think the receiver actually ran a short slant on that play. Underwood played him with outside leverage--instead of inside. He has some talent. He made a couple of nice tackles and at least he didn't drop his gift interception. Overall, I wasn't thrilled with his performance. Lee had some bad plays too, but I did like how he looked on his return. He looked like he has some wheels. Hopefully, he can pick it up--because I think he's a bit more aware than Underwood.

bobblehead
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

It was the first time he has done it in public, on the practice field I think. Bedard is pretty aware of where AH is.

Joemailman
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
It will be interesting to see if Underwood progresses as the preseason goes on. The play where he gave up the reception on 4th down was a mental error, not a physical one. Working things out is what the preseason is about.

Freak Out
08-18-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't know who might be available but I tend to agree.....if Harris shows he can't get back we need to do something....the last thing we need is to ruin a potentially great season because of one weak link at a critical spot.

pittstang5
08-18-2010, 04:49 PM
the last thing we need is to ruin a potentially great season because of one weak link at a critical spot.

Same could be said about the OLB position...something I'm more worried about then at the Cornerback position.

Freak Out
08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
the last thing we need is to ruin a potentially great season because of one weak link at a critical spot.

Same could be said about the OLB position...something I'm more worried about then at the Cornerback position.

Good point.....if we put the opposing QB on his back every drop back we can live with bad CBs. :)

pittstang5
08-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Good point.....if we put the opposing QB on his back every drop back we can live with bad CBs. :)

Exactly! :)

packers11
08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
with a solid OL we will just outscore everyone :)

Little Whiskey
08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
with a solid OL we will just outscore everyone :)

Didn't we try that a couple of games last season? it didn't work to well against the cards

RashanGary
08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm more comfortable with Brad Jones and Brandon Chillar than I am with Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee.

Gunakor
08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm more comfortable with Brad Jones and Brandon Chillar than I am with Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee.

+1

Joemailman
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM

I wouldn't get so worked up about something that happened in the first preseason game. Watch Nick Barnett on the first play of the game. Sometimes veterans miss things too.

rbaloha1
08-18-2010, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't get so worked up about something that happened in the first preseason game. Watch Nick Barnett on the first play of the game. Sometimes veterans miss things too.

Underwood's mistakes are correctable -- alignment stuff.

BU is long with good recovery speed. Those long arms should knock down many passes.

retailguy
08-18-2010, 07:56 PM

He needs the excuse to back off from FIVE YEARS of predictions.... And they've only played ONE preseason game?

Fuck that. This team is stacked. BU will step up, or someone else will.

We're winning Baby! Don't miss the bus! :wink:

MJZiggy
08-18-2010, 09:37 PM

He needs the excuse to back off from FIVE YEARS of predictions.... And they've only played ONE preseason game?

Fuck that. This team is stacked. BU will step up, or someone else will.

We're winning Baby! Don't miss the bus! :wink:

I really hope we get Harris back and that he doesn't reinjure anything. That said, when he was out with his spleen, TWill stepped up big. (ok, it took him a couple games, but he did it.) I think we'll be just fine.

Fritz
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
It's not T-
Will; it's everyone else who then has to step up a notch above his level. BU would be an awesome dime back - but as a nickel back?

Gunakor
08-19-2010, 01:35 AM
It's not T-
Will; it's everyone else who then has to step up a notch above his level. BU would be an awesome dime back - but as a nickel back?

I don't think there's a ton of teams in the league whose #3 WR would consistently burn Underwood. Of course I expect it will happen from time to time, and I've watched Al and Chuck get burnt from time to time also. But I don't expect it to be a regular occurance.

The benefit to Underwood and the rest of the guys fighting for playing time is that they practice against perhaps the best #3 and #4 WR's the league has to offer day in and day out. Same goes for the QB throwing to them. They aren't going to see anything better in a game than they do during practice. That's a real asset to them. It means nothing if it doesn't translate to their play on the field on gameday, of course. But if they're working as hard as they need to be during practice, I'd assume they'll be well prepared on Sundays.

packerbacker1234
08-19-2010, 08:38 AM
It's not T-

I don't think there's a ton of teams in the league whose #3 WR would consistently burn Underwood. Of course I expect it will happen from time to time, and I've watched Al and Chuck get burnt from time to time also. But I don't expect it to be a regular occurance.

The benefit to Underwood and the rest of the guys fighting for playing time is that they practice against perhaps the best #3 and #4 WR's the league has to offer day in and day out. Same goes for the QB throwing to them. They aren't going to see anything better in a game than they do during practice. That's a real asset to them. It means nothing if it doesn't translate to their play on the field on gameday, of course. But if they're working as hard as they need to be during practice, I'd assume they'll be well prepared on Sundays.

Sometimes, we love our 3rd and 4th options a tad more than is reasonable. I love jordy and james, but the best in the league? I mean, even in our own division you have Percy Harvin in the slot, and he was really good last year. I am sure if I looked around the NFL, I could find other really good 3rd and 4th wr;s out there.

Here is another one I just remembered Cotchery for the Jets. Former starter, great hands, Mr. Reliable - unseeted by two "diva" type wr's who if they aren't starterse would turn into TO 2.0

Tarlam!
08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

One of the best posts I've ever read around here. Really insightful. Thanks, Gunny.

Little Whiskey
08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I went back and watched all of al's comeback videos again on NFPost.com and damn does he look ready to play. He's been doing alot of footwork drills and unless they are speeding up the video to make him look better than he is, he looks ready.

Gunakor
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not T-

Sometimes, we love our 3rd and 4th options a tad more than is reasonable. I love jordy and james, but the best in the league? I mean, even in our own division you have Percy Harvin in the slot, and he was really good last year. I am sure if I looked around the NFL, I could find other really good 3rd and 4th wr;s out there.

Here is another one I just remembered Cotchery for the Jets. Former starter, great hands, Mr. Reliable - unseeted by two "diva" type wr's who if they aren't starterse would turn into TO 2.0

Jets have an outstanding WR corps this year as well. Santonio Holmes, Cotchery, Braylon Edwards... They're gonna be good. And we play them in week 8, that's gonna be a tough matchup. However, they don't have the greatest QB in the world throwing them the ball. And the Jets are a running team first anyway.

Harvin is the real deal. But it won't be our nickel covering him. They'll stick T-Will on him and let BU cover Bernard Berrian, who IMO is EXTREMELY overrated. Berrian is no better than James Jones or Jordy Nelson. Not from what I see in him anyway.

Hell, I doubt by the time we face the Vikings that Harvin is still #3 on their depth chart anyway.