PDA

View Full Version : Harrell out with sore back

bobblehead
08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
It seems JH had to sit out both practices today with a "minor stiffness" in his back.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me any problems with JH's back is more than minor. This could be the beginning of the end for JH.

mission
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
My back is sore every day and I go to work. At some point you gotta wonder if it's just a mentality thing. Forget about the playing-with-a-bicep injury in college -- that's then. Millions change a man. #justsayin

red
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
this worries me but doesn't surprise me. if he's still having problems with his back and if it's related to the injury that cost him all of last year, then i would guess his days in green bay and the nfl are numbered

there was word last year that the back injury could be a career ender. now a guy that has missed most of the last 4 or 5 years out of 6 because of injury is sitting out practice because he's too injured to participate

this is a guy that more then anyone needs to prove he can play through the little things, and he's not

VermontPackFan
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
My back is sore every day and I go to work. At some point you gotta wonder if it's just a mentality thing. Forget about the playing-with-a-bicep injury in college -- that's then. Millions change a man. #justsayin

Sorry Mission, that is just an assinine thing to say. I have not heard one person, coach or otherwise question this kid's effort or desire to play the game. Sure he has showed up not in 100% playing shape at times and his character is not one that jumps out aggressively. But not all 6'4", 300+ pounders do, but this guy couldve/shoudve/wouldve been a good DT/DE in this league. He seems humble and I would bet the $$ he recieved did not change his lifestyle as drastically as it did others in the same situation.

If this is true and JH really does have a back problem, again, that would truly suck! Not only for him but for the GBP's. Even if he never plays another down for the Pack, and I hope that is not the case, busts are labels for players who could not perform when healthy. Those guys who were workout warriors who were drafted much higher than their college careers wo warrant. Not those who struggled with bad luck or constant injuries.

Joemailman
08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm sure a lot of guys get sore backs at some time in training camp. However, I believe Harrell has had a bulging disc in his back in the past, and that makes it different. I've had that too, and I've learned that when my back tightens up, I need to be careful until the tightness goes away. It may be that Harrell's back will not allow him to play football, and this is the end, but then again, this may just be the Packers exercising sensible caution.

Merlin
08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
I am shocked by this news. No one could have predicted this, what a blow to our defensive line. How will we ever recover?

get louder at lambeau
08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
This could be the beginning of the end for JH.

The beginning of the end for him was when he hurt his back in the weight room in March of 2008, over two years ago.

It's a shame that the guy may have had a promising career taken away from him and chronic pain to remind him of it for the rest of his life. Hard to be optimistic about this. It may be minor, but it must have beaten his spirit down pretty good by now. Hard to come back strong if it feels hopeless.

Brohm
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Hopefully it's minor and precautionary. I would have been stunned if his back DIDN'T get sore at some point given all its been through.

red
08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
reading up on some of his injury history, it seems he's had back problems dating all the way back to high school

swede
08-18-2010, 07:02 AM
reading up on some of his injury history, it seems he's had back problems dating all the way back to high school

What kind of a football stud would have had problems dating back in high school?

Joemailman
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
So who is Pickett's backup at LDE if Harrell can't go? Right now Harrell is #2 and C.J. Wilson is #3. Is he ready? It hurts to lose 2 guys from the same position, but that will be the reality if Harrell is done.

hoosier
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
So who is Pickett's backup at LDE if Harrell can't go? Right now Harrell is #2 and C.J. Wilson is #3. Is he ready? It hurts to lose 2 guys from the same position, but that will be the reality if Harrell is done.

Regardless of how they write the roster I would think that Neal is probably first off the bench for either Pickett or Jenkins. If Harrell is done then the biggest impact is probably going to be on Jenkins, who will end up playing as many downs as he did last year. Hopefully as the season goes on, either Wilson or Wynn can start to pick up some of the slack so that Jenkins doesn't wear down too much.

Fritz
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
I'll heat up the tar. You guys find the feathers and pitchforks.

And let's go find Dave Redding!

packers04
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Justin Harrell's wife just had a baby so thats maybe why hes not at practice on thursday A.M. Then again... its probably stilll his back. lol.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Just saw that Harrell's not practicing this Thursday morning.

Sigh.

packers04
08-19-2010, 09:37 AM
hes not even at practice so that leads me to believe this has something to do with him and his wife having their baby yesterday.

vince
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Harrell's been cleared to practice, but was excused this AM because his wife gave birth yesterday.

By no means do I think he's out of the wood with his back... I'm just re-reporting what McCarthy said...

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Harrell's been cleared to practice, but was excused this AM because his wife gave birth yesterday.

By no means do I think he's out of the wood with his back... I'm just re-reporting what McCarthy said...

I'm hoping this is all truth, but sometimes you have to wonder. Was he REALLY cleared to go?? I'm not calling MM a liar, but he may be shining the best light possible on it.

I hope its no big deal, but last year we followed a similar pattern. JH is out, but its just precautionary. JH is out, but not because of his back. JH is out for the season, bad back. I see a pattern, I hope I'm wrong. I also though Babre might win the LG job, so JH's chances aren't that bad I guess.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM

I bet her back hurt like hell then...

Joemailman
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
McCarthy's comments at PC:

(What’s the status of Justin Harrell?)
Justin Harrell is excused today from practice for a personal matter.

(Would he have been able to practice?)
Yes. He was on the list to go this morning.

(Do you anticipate Justin practicing tonight?)
Actually, I haven’t had an opportunity to talk to him about what’s exactly going on. He’ll tend to his family first, and we’ll see if he’s available tonight.

(Did his wife have a baby?)
That’s really for Justin. That’s really for Justin to talk on.

LP
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM

I bet her back hurt like hell then...

He's probably been having sympathy pain. :)