PDA

View Full Version : Packers v Vikings

Tony Oday
08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Last year correct me if I am wrong we didn't have Clifton or Tauch in against the purple punks right?

Being under the deluge of crap in MN listening to the Fan on the way into work I cant handle them saying just because Favre is back they walk the division.

If Harris is back don't we match up wonderfully against the Vikes this year? Tramon, Woodson, Harris and Underwood matching up against Harvin and Rice. Hawk v Thunderstick. Front 7 against AP. I like our odds on Defense.

Offense Clifton stops JA. AR doesn't get sacked. Our WR against their D backs no contest and Finley catches 10 for 120 and 3 TDs against their LBs. I mean really the only thing they grade out better at is run defense against Grant and Kicking with Schlongwell

packers11
08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I just wish it was on MNF this year instead of the Bears/Packers...

Although one of the Vikings game is a Sunday Night Football game...

I hope they beat Favre twice... That will surely make him come back for 2011 :lol:

Joemailman
08-18-2010, 10:44 AM
It was fairly simple last year. Rodgers was sacked 14 times in the 2 games, Favre 0. If the Packers can do something about this difference, they will have a good shot at beating the Vikings.

Little Whiskey
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
we also don't have to worry about Jolly headbutting anyone. that was a killer penalty

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Last year correct me if I am wrong we didn't have Clifton or Tauch in against the purple punks right?

Being under the deluge of crap in MN listening to the Fan on the way into work I cant handle them saying just because Favre is back they walk the division.

If Harris is back don't we match up wonderfully against the Vikes this year? Tramon, Woodson, Harris and Underwood matching up against Harvin and Rice. Hawk v Thunderstick. Front 7 against AP. I like our odds on Defense.

Offense Clifton stops JA. AR doesn't get sacked. Our WR against their D backs no contest and Finley catches 10 for 120 and 3 TDs against their LBs. I mean really the only thing they grade out better at is run defense against Grant and Kicking with Schlongwell

Interesting predictions. I believe however the last time Jared Allen went up against Clifton he sacked AR once for a safety, forced an illegal forward pass for a safety, and was in Rodgers face all game. In other words Clifton really did'nt fare much better than Lang.

RashanGary
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Interesting predictions. I believe however the last time Jared Allen went up against Clifton he sacked AR once for a safety, forced an illegal forward pass for a safety, and was in Rodgers face all game. In other words Clifton really did'nt fare much better than Lang.

Clifton was coming off an injury and was reinjured in that game I believe. You're going down :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Jared Allen vs. Chad Clifton in his career:

9/6/2008 - 0 tackles, 0 sacks
11/9/2008 - 2 tackles, 1 sack (for a safety--which ARod should have thrown away, I believe)
11/4/2007 - 3 tackles, 0.5 sacks

Average = 2.3 tackles, 0.5 sacks

Big difference between that and last year:

10/5/2009 - 7 tackles, 4.5 sacks
11/1/2009 - 5 tackles, 3 sacks

Average = 6 tackles, 3.75 sacks

Clifton has made him look pedestrian--while the guys last year single-handedly put Allen in the Pro Bowl. He had 7.5 sacks in those two games and 7 sacks in his other 14 games.

Tony Oday
08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

11/9/2008 - 2 tackles, 1 sack (for a safety--which ARod should have thrown away, I believe)

Clifton has made him look pedestrian--while the guys last year single-handedly put Allen in the Pro Bowl. He had 7.5 sacks in those two games and 7 sacks in his other 14 games.

BOX

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
It was fairly simple last year. Rodgers was sacked 14 times in the 2 games, Favre 0. If the Packers can do something about this difference, they will have a good shot at beating the Vikings.
Word.

b bulldog
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
The Packers D will look bad this year as they did last year against the elite QB's. The passrush will be lacking and they will than get picked apart.

MJZiggy
08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
The Packers D will look bad this year as they did last year against the elite QB's. The passrush will be lacking and they will than get picked apart.

I love your August confidence bull. Ya know we have made a few adjustments to the defense since last year.

mraynrand
08-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Nice post Harv. That performance by Clifton against Allen at KC in 2007 was a thing of beauty.

mraynrand
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
11-1-2009
Finley's stat line:

REC YDS AVG TD LG
0 0 0 0 0

mraynrand
08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
30 yards rushing from Grant isn't going to get the job done. If Rodgers is the leading rusher for the Pack it's over.

Also, I said it when the schedule was released: the NFL spared Favre (again) a cold weather game in GB. THe NFL also kept MN largely inside from late Nov through Dec. If I believed in conspiracy theories, these facts would drive me crazy!

Finally, the most important game in your season is the home game against the Division rival. You have to win that game. Packers win that gam last year, they get a bye and a home Divisional game. Huge difference. Packers HAVE to beat the Vikings at home. HAVE to.

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Nice post Harv. That performance by Clifton against Allen at KC in 2007 was a thing of beauty.

I like how he includes a stat from a totally different line in the first comparison. Allen did not play with the likes of Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards, LeTroy Guion, or Brian Robison in 2007. His teammates help his play, he helps his teammates play and so on. Either way to write him off, or any other member of the Viking's D Line is a mistake. October 24 is a long way out.

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM

I like how he includes a stat from a totally different line in the first comparison. Allen did not play with the likes of Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards, LeTroy Guion, or Brian Robison in 2007. His teammates help his play, he helps his teammates play and so on. Either way to write him off, or any other member of the Viking's D Line is a mistake. October 24 is a long way out.

My intoxicated bad :oops: ....... but I stand by the rest of the post.

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2010, 11:04 PM

My intoxicated bad :oops: ....... but I stand by the rest of the post.

WOW, still intoxicated and found out I apologized for nothing, So....... My more intoxicated bad for my intoxicated bad :lol: I stand by it all!!

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2010, 11:12 PM

I will add that your box scores do not include QB hurries. My point is that Rodgers has had no reason to feel confortable in the pocket against the Vikings for a while, with or without Clifton. I've noticed alot of rollouts right from the Packers since Allen joined the Vikings. Obviously by design, but it limits the field.

Bossman641
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
30 yards rushing from Grant isn't going to get the job done. If Rodgers is the leading rusher for the Pack it's over.

Also, I said it when the schedule was released: the NFL spared Favre (again) a cold weather game in GB. THe NFL also kept MN largely inside from late Nov through Dec. If I believed in conspiracy theories, these facts would drive me crazy!

Finally, the most important game in your season is the home game against the Division rival. You have to win that game. Packers win that gam last year, they get a bye and a home Divisional game. Huge difference. Packers HAVE to beat the Vikings at home. HAVE to.

:evil: This, except they do drive me crazy. Second year in a row the NFL rolls out the fuckin red carpet for Favre.

bobblehead
08-18-2010, 11:45 PM

I recall going into that game hearing about how strong the chiefs front 7 was. That if not for the complete lack of a QB they would be a really good team. And why did he get more sacks in 14 games with those inferior players around him than he got in 16 games with Minnesota??

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I recall going into that game hearing about how strong the chiefs front 7 was. That if not for the complete lack of a QB they would be a really good team. And why did he get more sacks in 14 games with those inferior players around him than he got in 16 games with Minnesota??

BOX again

I believe Clifton and Tauscher are a huge improvement in pass blocking over Colledge at LT/Lang/Barbre. Bulaga also could improve LG. We'll see. The proof is in the pudding. A lot of Vikings fans here in the Twin Cities are in a dream world thinking the Vikings are much better than the Packers. In the other 14 games last year, playing a similar schedule, the Packers went 11-3 and the Vikings went 10-4. Minnesota just happened to play Green Bay when they were their healthiest and Green Bay wasn't (no Clifton, Tauscher, Nelson, Finley, etc.). On offense, at least.

mngolf19
08-19-2010, 12:40 PM

BOX again

I believe Clifton and Tauscher are a huge improvement in pass blocking over Colledge at LT/Lang/Barbre. Bulaga also could improve LG. We'll see. The proof is in the pudding. A lot of Vikings fans here in the Twin Cities are in a dream world thinking the Vikings are much better than the Packers. In the other 14 games last year, playing a similar schedule, the Packers went 11-3 and the Vikings went 10-4. Minnesota just happened to play Green Bay when they were their healthiest and Green Bay wasn't (no Clifton, Tauscher, Nelson, Finley, etc.). On offense, at least.

I think they're very close. I'd argue the biggest difference is coaches. Chilly gets them up for these games and MM doesn't.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I think they're very close. I'd argue the biggest difference is coaches. Chilly gets them up for these games and MM doesn't.

I think they are almost identical in "big games". To me, the biggest games are playoff games, against each other, and against Chicago. McCarthy is 10-9 in those games. Childress is 8-11.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM

I think they are almost identical in "big games". To me, the biggest games are playoff games, against each other, and against Chicago. McCarthy is 10-9 in those games. Childress is 8-11.

It really all came down to the Game in GB. The Packers were not up to the challenge, personnel-wise. Tackles were a mess and Finley was out (Kinda reminds you of the 2002 wildcard against Atlanta, except Favre played better!).

3irty1
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Queens weren't exactly healthy for our games either. I think they were missing Winfield for one and obviously Henderson.

That said its pretty unrealistic for Vikings fans to expect the success JA or anyone for that matter enjoyed against GB offensive lines that were bafflingly poor for the first half of the season. The Packers are more prepared for injury along the OL this year and should fare at least as well as the rest of the league against JA and the Queens. Our own passrush is my main concern in losing another shootout with the Vikings.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Queens weren't exactly healthy for our games either. I think they were missing Winfield for one and obviously Henderson..... Our own passrush is my main concern in losing another shootout with the Vikings.

Good post. If Favre stays clean, the Packers lose.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Queens weren't exactly healthy for our games either. I think they were missing Winfield for one and obviously Henderson.

Henderson didn't get injured until late in the year. He played in both games. Winfield missed the second game, but personally I think it's a lot easier to overcome the loss of a corner that it is your LT--not to mention the other guys. Like you said, we weren't prepared for what happened Clifton (injury) and Barbre (suckiness). I think we're better able to handle it this year.

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM

BOX again

I'm not sure what BOX again means. Are you challenging my assertion that he had more sacks and want a "box score"?? If so, use google, if not please explain so I can understand.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure what BOX again means. Are you challenging my assertion that he had more sacks and want a "box score"?? If so, use google, if not please explain so I can understand.

BOX means you put somebody in the box. The reference being to smacktalkie.

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 03:29 PM

KFAN uses it all the time basically saying you have no recourse or argument that works because all the facts are against you.

swede
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM

KFAN uses it all the time basically saying you have no recourse or argument that works because all the facts are against you.

Thank you. I went so far as to look it up in the online slang dictionary and I didn't find out what Harv meant by "Box", but on the bright side, after thirty-eight years, I finally get that dirty joke that was going around Roosevelt Jr. High.

Q: Why do ladies sit higher in the bathtub than men?

A: Because they're sitting on a box.

ThunderDan
08-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Thank you. I went so far as to look it up in the online slang dictionary and I didn't find out what Harv meant by "Box", but on the bright side, after thirty-eight years, I finally get that dirty joke that was going around Roosevelt Jr. High.

You never heard of Monster in a Box?

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Damn...not up with my hip lingo....getting old.

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Now that is almost as funny as the old atari 1600 pac man game. The graphics weren't good enough for fruit, so they used a sqaure that was bigger than the other dots. We would sit and holler "Eat the box" when it popped up and never figured out why my mom would get pissed.

mngolf19
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Well the first couple years, Chilly didn't have the ammunition to compete with the Pack. Last 2 years and this year, different story. What does that calculate out to?

Fritz
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM

BOX again

Hand jobs?

Joemailman
08-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Don't forget Childress was 10-6 in 2008 with Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson at QB. So far I'd say he and McCarthy are pretty even. Both have proved they can get to the playoffs. Both have proved they can get really really really close to the Super Bowl before Brett dials up another tragedy. I believe one of them will get there this year.

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't forget Childress was 10-6 in 2008 with Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson at QB. So far I'd say he and McCarthy are pretty even. Both have proved they can get to the playoffs. Both have proved they can get really really really close to the Super Bowl before Brett dials up another tragedy. I believe one of them will get there this year.

Now if you were a betting man would you bet on the guy with the QB that has thrown 2 NFCC ending picks, or the guy whose QB fumbled it away after missing a wide open Jennings?? I'm hoping ARod is young enough to learn from his mistakes.

Joemailman
08-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I would take a Rodgers entering his prime over a 41 year old Favre playing on a bad ankle. I wouldn't bet on the Packers though because I'm convinced McCarthy is better than Childress. I hope he is, but I'm not convinced.

RashanGary
08-20-2010, 07:27 AM
I would take a Rodgers entering his prime over a 41 year old Favre playing on a bad ankle. I wouldn't bet on the Packers though because I'm convinced McCarthy is better than Childress. I hope he is, but I'm not convinced.

This looks like one of my posts.

I'm convinced McCarthy is better than Childress

I hope McCarthy is better than Childress but not convinced.

All in the same post :)

I'd say the 2nd statement more accurately represents your view. Taking it a step further, I'd say you don't "hope" he is but you "think" McCArthy is better but can never be sure until it plays out.

RashanGary
08-20-2010, 07:45 AM
On offense we're going to be better.

Rodgers is at a point in his career where he's stepping into elite status (not just in stats, but in results)

Finley is about to add a dimension to our offense that should make us unstoppable assuming the OL is even below average. Him and Greg are playmakers and starting this year they're both right in their prime. Finley needs two covering him. Greg needs two covering him. Rodgers can throw it anywhere with great accuracy and is just starting to play the game at elite speed.

ST's is a wild card. I've given up thinking I know what will happen. We'll see if they find a way.

Defensively we have a couple concerns. The first is pass rush. Jenkins and Matthews are our only good pass rushers. Raji has done nothing so far to make me think he's improved at all and Jones looked pedestrian last week too. If our secondary can handle mixed coverages better, maybe we can shake up or blitz packages a little and still not get burned, but overall we have an average pass rush, and against top QB's who get the ball out, it's just plain not good enough.

The 2nd defensive concern is our secondary. Burnett, at this point, has a long way to go. Chances are he'll have rookie mistakes early and barely be average late in the season if he learns. Then there is the CB position. After Tramon, we don't have anyone who knows how to play even the basic coverages. They're fucking up base cover 2. If they can't play that, they're going to get tore to pieces when great QB's come to town. The problesm they have, they're so idiotic, I just don't picture Underwood or Lee magically getting it tomorrow. It's been 2 and 3 years respectively and they still have no clue. One more week will mean nothing.

So here we are, with some of the same issues as last year. Matthews, Raji and Jones should be getting better. Woodson should be getting worse. All in all, our age says we shouldn't drop off much on defense and we have had another year in the system so there is reason to believe we do get better. Not much though.

If we were an 8 on offense last year, I expect a 9 this year

If we were a 7 on defense, I expect a 7.5 this year.

If we were a 2 on ST's, I expect a 5 this year (regression toward the mean)

I'll count the offense and defense twice and the ST's once. . .

6.4 average last year
7.6 projected this year

Keep in mind, no team is a 10. I think we'll be a good, solid notch better this year, although clearly not perfect. Chances are, we won't have the injury problems we had a year ago this time, it was our worst stretch of the season. Chances are we won't be as clueless on defense as last year. The Vikings were better than the Packers last year. This year. . . I think it's going to be an even nastier dog fight because they're even closer to the same quality team, in the same division. It's going to be a fun season. It will be gut wrenching if we lose, and exciting as hell if we win.

RashanGary
08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
If Harris and Bigby come back and we stay really healthy on defense, we could make a run at the SB. We have that type of team, but we're just a few pieces away from being one of the teams that can handle injuries at just about any position.

MichiganPackerFan
08-20-2010, 08:03 AM
I just wish it was on MNF this year instead of the Bears/Packers...

Although one of the Vikings game is a Sunday Night Football game...

I hope they beat Favre twice... That will surely make him come back for 2011 :lol:

Am I the only one who would rather watch the game on Sunday afternoon than what is liberally called "prime time"? I think that the Monday Night Games all around competition, production, etc have been really lame for a while. That and due to the late starts to accommodate the west coast, the "prime time" is ancient history by the time the 4th quarter starts. Please just give me the sunday game, late game is preferable so I can have the grill going and am eager to spend my day watching games. Not have to start the week without having been able to watch your team play...

MichiganPackerFan
08-20-2010, 08:04 AM

You might be on to something there. MM certainly isn't the calm laid back Mike Sherman, but I do remember MIN being really jacked up for the games last year. The schedule could certainly be more balanced with a colder weather game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
You might be on to something there. MM certainly isn't the calm laid back Mike Sherman, but I do remember MIN being really jacked up for the games last year. The schedule could certainly be more balanced with a colder weather game.

Don't buy it. We're plenty jacked up for games. This team is light years ahead of where they were under Sherman. We just need more of that swagger that comes with winning. McCarthy has done a lot to bring more physicality to the team. I think he sees the Steelers defense, and he thinks that their physicality is the main ingredient for their success. He wants a tough, hard nosed, hard working defense.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Well the first couple years, Chilly didn't have the ammunition to compete with the Pack. Last 2 years and this year, different story. What does that calculate out to?

So, who had more talent in 2006? The guy with a team coming off a 4-12 record or the one with the team coming off a 9-7 record?

Year 1 - McCarthy did more with less.
Year 2 - McCarthy got to the NFCC before a Brett pick ended the dream.
Year 3 - Talent wise it was probably even, but it was a distracted transition year. Childress got the team to 10-6 with great talent minus a good QB. Better QB play might have meant a run at the Super Bowl.
Year 4 - Childress got to the NFCC before a Brett pick ended the dream. The teams had almost identical records with pretty equal talent. Minnesota got the benefit of one home game in the playoffs--which the Packers did not. Injuries early in the year might have played a factor. McCarthy got the team to 11-5 despite horrible OL play the first 8 games. Better OL play might have meant an NFC North title and a run at the Super Bowl.

Year 5 and beyond will further prove which coach is better and which team is more talented in the long haul.

MichiganPackerFan
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Don't buy it. We're plenty jacked up for games. This team is light years ahead of where they were under Sherman. We just need more of that swagger that comes with winning. McCarthy has done a lot to bring more physicality to the team. I think he sees the Steelers defense, and he thinks that their physicality is the main ingredient for their success. He wants a tough, hard nosed, hard working defense.

I was referring exclusively to the MIN-GB games. I think overall you are totally correct, but in those two games, MIN was energized and GB was flat.

Scott Campbell
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Oh fer http://www.vikingsfanshop.com/images/products/2253_large.jpg

mngolf19
08-20-2010, 12:13 PM

So, who had more talent in 2006? The guy with a team coming off a 4-12 record or the one with the team coming off a 9-7 record?

Year 1 - McCarthy did more with less.
Year 2 - McCarthy got to the NFCC before a Brett pick ended the dream.
Year 3 - Talent wise it was probably even, but it was a distracted transition year. Childress got the team to 10-6 with great talent minus a good QB. Better QB play might have meant a run at the Super Bowl.
Year 4 - Childress got to the NFCC before a Brett pick ended the dream. The teams had almost identical records with pretty equal talent. Minnesota got the benefit of one home game in the playoffs--which the Packers did not. Injuries early in the year might have played a factor. McCarthy got the team to 11-5 despite horrible OL play the first 8 games. Better OL play might have meant an NFC North title and a run at the Super Bowl.

Year 5 and beyond will further prove which coach is better and which team is more talented in the long haul.

Harv, you can't possibly think that coming off of the retarded ownership of McCombs left anything behind for Chilly? He had to clean house, change schemes. No matter the records that first year, Pack had a more talented team.