PDA

View Full Version : Chilly loses cred

superfan
08-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Not sure what to make of this. If true, could be a major distraction for the Vikings heading into the season. Strong comments from the anonymous players. Chilly will be steamed if/when he reads this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avu.eOPNOkB4488JvrU5T69DubYF?slug=jc-childressvikes081810

Vikings coach loses cred in locker room
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

Even as Minnesota coach Brad Childress was getting what he desperately wanted, he couldn’t help but further undermine himself in the eyes of his players.

On Tuesday, as Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson, defensive end Jared Allen and kicker Ryan Longwell were flying back and forth between Minnesota and Mississippi to bring quarterback Brett Favre back for another season, Childress tried to cover up a fact that was widely reported. Childress, who wasn’t scheduled to talk to media Tuesday, had special teams coach Brian Murphy and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell tell reporters that the three players were actually at the team facility rather than aboard a private jet.

Murphy went so far as to say that Longwell was kicking inside the team’s indoor facility. “We were kicking inside,” Murphy said. When asked directly if Longwell was at practice, Murphy said: “He was here, he was around.”

Bevell couldn’t quite go along with the charade, pushing the explanation on Childress.

“I came out here and [Childress] told me he had the other guys inside,” Bevell said, referring to the three players. “They were in the building. I came out to practice, Coach said they were inside.”

That little bit of misdirection didn’t get much attention, but it raised a lot of eyebrows inside the Vikings’ locker room.

“Chilly can’t even tell the truth about that,” the player said. “I mean, how ridiculous is that? What’s the big deal that he has to lie? Worse, he has to tell other guys to lie for him?”

In short, even as Minnesota’s best hope to win a Super Bowl this season was rejoining the team, Childress was losing more ground with his team in the battle for respect. One of the biggest issues playing out behind the scenes in Minnesota is that many players, particularly on offense, have no respect for Childress. Among those players is Favre, who officially returned to the team Wednesday. According to multiple team sources, Favre’s disdain for Childress is deep.

“Brett thinks Childress has no clue about offense,” a Vikings player said.

Childress’ presence, not Favre’s ankle injury, was one of the biggest reasons Favre was hesitating about playing again, sources said. In early July, Favre had indicated to one player that he was likely to play. However, after Childress visited Favre on July 19, Favre’s desire to return declined.

“Brett just doesn’t trust him,” a player said.

Both Childress and Favre declined to address the issue Wednesday, but the problems run deeper than events from last season. It goes beyond the incident in the Dec. 20 game against Carolina when Favre refused to come out of an eventual loss when Childress wanted to pull him. It’s beyond the Nov. 15 win against Detroit when Childress got angry with a play Favre changed in the second half.

One of the biggest problems in this situation is that Childress is allowed to run free within the organization. Because owner Zygi Wilf and team president Mark Wilf both live in New York, Childress doesn’t have to answer to anyone on a day-to-day basis. In the power structure between Childress, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, Childress has the final say. He has taken that final say to mean that he can basically act as he pleases.

The heart of the conflict is Childress’ perceived lack of football savvy. Some players believe that most of the offensive coaching staff is made up of yes-men like Bevell. Furthermore, Childress is the type who doesn’t take outside ideas very well.

“He has his way of doing things and that’s it,” a player said.

This season, Childress almost didn’t get Favre as a result.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 01:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoHxurNvyMrr3uSnFF9FjRFDubYF?slug=ms-favreencore081810

More troublesome is the relationship between the Drama Queen QB and Childress, a head coach who had credibility issues in the locker room before Favre’s arrival and has been progressively disempowered ever since.

Sources close to Favre say that the quarterback is not particularly admiring of Childress’ offensive acumen, especially as it relates to some of the noted strategists (Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid) for whom he has played in the past. Surely, this is not a secret in the Minnesota locker room, and you can bet that most Vikings would defer to Favre’s game-planning and play-calling sensibilities in a stare down between the quarterback and coach.

Throw in the fact that Favre clearly has very little respect for Childress’ authority – a situation which, in fairness, was partially created by Wilf, Chilly’s boss – and we’ve got a cauldron ready to boil over.

That’s what happened last December in Charlotte as the Vikings absorbed a 26-7 beating from the Carolina Panthers that dashed their hopes of earning home-field advantage in the NFC. When Childress tried to take Favre out of the game in the fourth quarter, the quarterback pushed back and, remarkably, got his way.

PlantPage55
08-19-2010, 02:45 AM
I love it. I love it. Brett is a dick and Chilly is a wet napkin.

It would be a great injustice if this whole stupid thing doesn't blow up in their faces.

Not to be sanctimonious, but MM developing Aaron Rodgers is the way that a pairing should happen in the NFL. Hopefully, their combined effort will reap big results. They deserve it.

Tarlam!
08-19-2010, 02:56 AM
I hear ya, PP, but I am very wary of what Germans call "Schadenfreude". Karma can be a real bitch.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Not sure what to make of this. If true, could be a major distraction for the Vikings heading into the season. Strong comments from the anonymous players. Chilly will be steamed if/when he reads this.

So will Zygi.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
" Childress is the type who doesn’t take outside ideas very well."

Hey...that sounds like what they said about Shermy!

And Brent ignoring/disdaining a coach? That sounds like . . . Brent!

packerbacker1234
08-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Actually, this speaks more to how bad childress is as a coach than to issues with Favre. There were issues with favre and brad last year, that was clearly evident, and it doesn't surprise me to hear there were issues before favre ever showed up. He is a horrible head coach with no real offensive mind. IF he doesn't even completely understand his own playbook, how can the offensive players respect him at all? It's no wonder the offense took off with Favre at the helm, as it is a leader who actually knows and understands how the damn playbook works, and isn't afraid to audible to put the offense in better position. And of course, with the success he was having, how could chilly even challenge him?

I don't think this is going to have much effect on this season - the offense, like last year, is what Favre wants it to be, and the defense should be alright. After this season, though, the vikings are truly screwed if they keep chilly. Players in the locker room already don't respect him, and they are claiming it's because he has no idea how to run a offense.

I could of told you that 3 or 4 years ago.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
:lol: Favre apologist ^^^^^^^^ :lol: (talk about losing credibility)

I didn't think Chily had any credibility left before this:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Chillylegs.jpg

mngolf19
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
These same types of stories came from unconnected sources last year at this time as well. And due to how the season turned out, I'd say were bs. So in my opinion, nothing to see here. It's creating something for the sake of making a story. The only players who have an issue with the Favre thing are the backup QBs and frankly tough shit.

And Chilly does not have the most power in that org. It's an even 3 way split.

It's funny how often people give Chilly crap even though his teams continue to improve every year. And it's not just from Pack fans, Vikes fans do it too.

sharpe1027
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
These same types of stories came from unconnected sources last year at this time as well. And due to how the season turned out, I'd say were bs. So in my opinion, nothing to see here. It's creating something for the sake of making a story. The only players who have an issue with the Favre thing are the backup QBs and frankly tough shit.

It's funny how often people give Chilly crap even though his teams continue to improve every year. And it's not just from Pack fans, Vikes fans do it too.

We'll see. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Everything's fine as long as they win. They string a couple losses together and you might see the wheels fall off really fast.

vince
08-19-2010, 12:57 PM

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blogimg/head-in-the-sand.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Paul Allen disagrees. To an extent. He's worked with Jason Cole, and had nothing but good things to say about him. He said there's probably some truth to this, but it's somewhere in between nothing and something major. He said that Favre and Childress do have a bit of a strained relationship. He said Childress does have the final say in the decisions. He said there are some players that are probably not enamored with Childress. He said Childress is absolutely hard-headed. He disagreed with the point that the Wilf's aren't around. At least, during the regular season. He disagreed with Childress knowing nothing about offense.

Paul Allen is a Vikings homer and knows the organization pretty well.

I have no doubt that Favre isn't enamored with Childress. I have no doubt that Childress is hard-headed, has final say in the organization, and that he can be a bit shady. I'd give Childress credit for knowing more about offense. I think we'll know more about Childress after Favre is gone.

vince
08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Sometimes truth is funnier than fiction...

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Percy_Harvin_collapses_leaves_in_ambulance_after_m igraine_episode
Following Harvin's episode...

Players gathered for a prayer and then went through 10 plays of 11-on-11 work, which Childress said was quarterback Brett Favre's idea. The vibe was quiet and the work was sloppy, including several dropped passes.
It appears even Childress acknowledges who's running the team.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
One thing is certain: If Favre keeps winning games for the Vikes like he did last year, there won't be anyone complaining except Viking haters.

bobblehead
08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I find it hard to criticize Childress for being "hard headed". Lets face it, Parcells, Belichek, Holmgren, etc. were the same way. In the end a headcoach lives or dies by results, so he SHOULD do things his way.

I would rather my coach stick to his convictions than start ceding everything to outsiders/others.

My biggest gripe against favre was that he didn't realize who was in charge, and if Childress is being criticized for doing things his way that is BS....but then in the next sentence they criticize him for letting Favre decide what direction practice is going in. These two characterizations don't mix.

Bossman641
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Actually, this speaks more to how bad childress is as a coach than to issues with Favre. There were issues with favre and brad last year, that was clearly evident, and it doesn't surprise me to hear there were issues before favre ever showed up. He is a horrible head coach with no real offensive mind. IF he doesn't even completely understand his own playbook, how can the offensive players respect him at all? It's no wonder the offense took off with Favre at the helm, as it is a leader who actually knows and understands how the damn playbook works, and isn't afraid to audible to put the offense in better position. And of course, with the success he was having, how could chilly even challenge him?

I don't think this is going to have much effect on this season - the offense, like last year, is what Favre wants it to be, and the defense should be alright. After this season, though, the vikings are truly screwed if they keep chilly. Players in the locker room already don't respect him, and they are claiming it's because he has no idea how to run a offense.

Absolutely shocking coming from you. Of course it isn't Favre;s fault. :roll:

get louder at lambeau
08-19-2010, 03:27 PM

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Percy_Harvin_collapses_leaves_in_ambulance_after_m igraine_episode

Players gathered for a prayer and then went through 10 plays of 11-on-11 work, which Childress said was quarterback Brett Favre's idea. The vibe was quiet and the work was sloppy, including several dropped passes.

Childress doesn't have to acknowledge it. Favre's teammates just have to do as he tells them.

CaptainKickass
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I didn't think Chily had any credibility left before this:

I certainly never gave him any. And the Pack passed on him as head coach, so neither did they.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
The vibe was quiet and the work was sloppy.

Sounds like bad sex.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 04:40 PM

Sounds like bad sex.

What am I going to do with 50 subscriptions to Vibe?

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Sounds like bad sex.

What am I going to do with 50 subscriptions to Vibe?

nahg, nahg, nahgonnawork here anymore

Pugger
08-19-2010, 05:38 PM

No kidding.

packerbacker1234
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

No kidding.

Read the article. Issues have been present before favre was even in the picture. It's pretty clear this isn't a new relevalation in the locker room. Even last year the QB's complained that he would never let them audible, which was a hinderence, and now favre gets to because it's favre.

This didn't sound like it was an issue coming because of the favre situation, what it sounded like is the favre situation is what brought it to the light of the public. Read the article, and you will notice how it sort of talks about this being a continual problem sicne childress arrived.

superfan
08-19-2010, 06:24 PM

The article seems to have been written specifically to stir the pot and it's very possible that the author intentionally wrote it to make issues seem worse than they really are. But Favre does have a documented history of authority issues, so issues between him and Chilly aren't surprising and are likely true, at least to some extent.

Something clicked in Favre after he became a superstar, and he no longer seemed willing to accept coaching - Sherman, McCarthy, sideline issues with Childress last year, etc. He seems able to get along with those who treat him with kid gloves (i.e. Bevell) but doesn't take it well when somebody tells him to change something about the way he plays.

retailguy
08-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Ah, all this shit is overblown. Caretaker Childress knows what his role is. He won't step out of bounds again. :P

Lurker64
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm so glad that Zygi refused to allow Brad Childress to board that plane to Green Bay.

MadScientist
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM

I'm not sure what you find funny about the whole episode. Harvin is going through some serious shit, which for his sake I hope gets the proper treatment soon. The episode naturally freaked out the whole team, and it sounds like Brett suggested continuing on with practice. It's possible Chilly could have done it, but he risks coming across as uncaring about a player if he pushes it too soon, Brett saying to continue worked to Chilly's advantage.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Something clicked in Favre after he became a superstar, and he no longer seemed willing to accept coaching - Sherman, McCarthy, sideline issues with Childress last year, etc. He seems able to get along with those who treat him with kid gloves (i.e. Bevell) but doesn't take it well when somebody tells him to change something about the way he plays.

His Dad died.

Pugger
08-19-2010, 11:58 PM

No kidding.

Read the article. Issues have been present before favre was even in the picture. It's pretty clear this isn't a new relevalation in the locker room. Even last year the QB's complained that he would never let them audible, which was a hinderence, and now favre gets to because it's favre.

This didn't sound like it was an issue coming because of the favre situation, what it sounded like is the favre situation is what brought it to the light of the public. Read the article, and you will notice how it sort of talks about this being a continual problem sicne childress arrived.

We aren't talking about the article. Every time anyone says anything remotely negative about #4 you come running to his defense so you sound like an Favre apologist.

PlantPage55
08-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Remember Mac's 6+ hour sit-in with Brett? He said: "I came out of that meeting believing that Brett was not in the right state of mind to quarterback the Packers."

That leads me to believe that:

a. Brett didn't want to go along with Mac's hard line. Coming to practice. Working even harder than the year before. Committing.

or

b. Brett thought he was bigger than the team and Mac thought it was beyond repair.

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Remember Mac's 6+ hour sit-in with Brett? He said: "I came out of that meeting believing that Brett was not in the right state of mind to quarterback the Packers."

That leads me to believe that:

a. Brett didn't want to go along with Mac's hard line. Coming to practice. Working even harder than the year before. Committing.

or

b. Brett thought he was bigger than the team and Mac thought it was beyond repair.

Well, a., Bert proved last season he doesn't need camp reps. And b., he was the main reason the Vikings went to the record they did, so, he was the bigger part of that team.

TT and M3 wanted to end the Favre Era after the NFCCG meltdown and they made all the right moves to bring it about. So did Bert.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Rodgers is the Packers QB, but I can't deny Bert's talent. It's too bad his father died when he did.

retailguy
08-20-2010, 08:52 AM

His Dad died.

Yup. This is what happened.

mraynrand
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM

His Dad died.

Yup. This is what happened.

Well, it happened for a while under Sherman mostly in 2004 and 2005 - and perhaps Irv kept Favre from becoming a prima donna in public (that's what I think) - but whether he accepted coaching or not, Favre had two absolutely OUTSTANDING years in 2007 and 2009, (and a decent rebuilding year in 2006) Save the two horrible INTs, 2007/9 were probably the most disciplined years he ever had, even including '95 and '96, where Favre (Holmgren) took a lot more chances in the passing game. Both 2007 and 2009 were easily on par with or better than his last MVP year in '97.

Look, Favre is a huge competitor. He gets way up for games where he's challenged - including games following injury and games against former coaches and teams. he will be very very hard for the Packers to beat unless he's physically hurting. Make no mistake, Favre is still a tremendous QB, and a great competitor.

packerbacker1234
08-21-2010, 12:45 AM

No kidding.

We aren't talking about the article. Every time anyone says anything remotely negative about #4 you come running to his defense so you sound like an Favre apologist.

I'm sorry, this thread was about an article relating to childress problems. My fault for actually looking at the faults of a coach instead of doing the classic "it's all favre's fault" like every other packer fan seems to want to do because they feel betrayed.

gex
08-21-2010, 10:58 PM

No kidding.

I'm sorry, this thread was about an article relating to childress problems. My fault for actually looking at the faults of a coach instead of doing the classic "it's all favre's fault" like every other packer fan seems to want to do because they feel betrayed.
Ain't that the truth!

Pugger
08-22-2010, 12:57 AM

No kidding.

Ain't that the truth!

Betrayed may not be the right word but it ain't any fun seeing him in that hideous purple getup. Most Packer fans take exception to his wanting to stick it to TT cuz he's also sticking it to the Packers and to us.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 01:03 AM

His Dad died.
No, it was before that. It was evident in 1999 with Rhodes and even may have been present in 1998 when he seemed to revert to pre-MVP form in some stats. Sherman did show him what he could get with it.

And it is not a trait that affects all decisions. He genuinely seemed content to be a secondary option when the Packers were killing people with Ahman and the O line.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 01:24 AM
I do think the article Harvey quoted should be doubted as it listed Gruden as an enlightened offensive mind Favre had worked with. Gruden was WR coach when he left GB to become the Eagles Offensive Coord.

superfan's article also makes a contradictory point. If multiple players doubt Childress' ability or leadership and this was reinforced by Favre's presence last year, then this issue cannot be fatal. At least, its unlikely to be in the short term.

mraynrand
08-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I do think the article Harvey quoted should be doubted as it listed Gruden as an enlightened offensive mind Favre had worked with. Gruden was WR coach when he left GB to become the Eagles Offensive Coord.

superfan's article also makes a contradictory point. If multiple players doubt Childress' ability or leadership and this was reinforced by Favre's presence last year, then this issue cannot be fatal. At least, its unlikely to be in the short term.

Plus, you hear about the need for veteran leadership all the time, specifically because the coach can't reach guys the same way players can. Furthermore, Childress isn't going to lose credibility if he defers to Favre if Favre demonstrates the value of 20 years of experience by playing outstanding football (which he did). It can easily be seen as a sign of maturity and good coaching to defer to an expert (in any endeavor, for that matter). Favre is getting tons of special treatment, but it won't hurt Childress and all - NO ONE will care - so long as he keeps winning (except anti-Viking fans of course).

falco
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
I find it hard to believe that the Favre antics of the last 12 months haven't had some detrimental effect on the team.

vince
08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Only in Favre World:

Brett Favre calls 2 closed-door team meetings about not letting closed-door stuff out to the press, then immediately tells Ed Werder about what he told the guys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5484022

MOBB DEEP
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Only in Favre World:

Brett Favre calls 2 closed-door team meetings about not letting closed-door stuff out to the press, then immediately tells Ed Werder about what he told the guys.

hahahahaha..REDIC!

MOBB DEEP
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Most Packer fans take exception to his wanting to stick it to TT cuz he's also sticking it to the Packers and to us.

what? is this 2009 still? that mess is OVER..nothing to see here any more; BOTH sides won imo and life goes on

packerbacker1234
08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Only in Favre World:

Eh this is a common thing, small parts of team meetings getting out, it just usually isn't notable enough to talk about it, but because the press is in love with favre, what he eats for breakfast is suddenly notable.

You all know I am a favre supporter, in that I like him as a player, but sarcasm I don't think is really needed. :P

Pugger
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Most Packer fans take exception to his wanting to stick it to TT cuz he's also sticking it to the Packers and to us.

what? is this 2009 still? that mess is OVER..nothing to see here any more; BOTH sides won imo and life goes on

Of course I'm talking about 2009 and this is one of the reasons why he isn't as universally loved in Packerland like he once was. I am glad he's playing for the queens. Let MN have him and his playoff chokes. :wink: