PDA

View Full Version : Things I Dread That May Happen

Smidgeon
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
1) Clay Matthews hits a big sophomore slump as no one else steps up in the pass rush department and he can't beat double teams on his own
2) D-Line depth is shallower than it appears when Justin Harrell gets hurt and Neal, Wynn, and Wilson show they still need seasoning
3) Rodgers continues to hold the ball too long when he feels like the pressure is on for him to single-handedly win a game
4) The LBs still haven't learned how to cover TEs
5) Burnett plays like a rookie. He doesn't play poorly, but doesn't play consistently as he'll flash now and then before disappearing or giving up big plays
6) Raji is just a guy in the middle. While he does draw double teams on occasion, he never does end up "causing havoc"
7) Pickett is just a guy on the outside. He was more effective at his old position

Now please, please, please show me why I'm wrong and convince me these things won't happen

Spaulding
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Ha :) I'll answer with the following instead:

Things I'm surprised that might happen:

1) The offensive line stays healthy and Buluga unseats Colledge at LG and we end up with one of the better lines in the league
2) Jackson steps it up at running back and we have a more solid and consistent running game
3) Finley proves that last half of 2009 wasn't a fluke and dominates
4) Harrell plays adequately and combined with contributions by Neal and surprising play of CJ Wilson cover the loss of Jolly and provide a more consistent pass rush
5) Jones and Chillar compliment Matthews whose hammy doesn't flare up and he doesn't suffer the sophomore slump
6) Harris comes back strong and combined with improved play of Lee and Underwood make the cornerback a position of strength this year rather than weakness
7) Barnett makes us quickly forget Bigby and teams with Collins to make the best safety tandem in the NFC
8) Holder position solidifies for Crosby and he consistenly nails the 40 yarders this year
9) The punting position improves with addition by subtraction (Kapinos)
10) Shields uses stick'em to catch the balls and runs like a deer to two special team scores this year

Was tempted to add Slocum being shown the door but as long as I'm optimistic the special teams play improves it might allow him to keep his job another year.

vince
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM
That's a good list. All of those things will probably happen at one time or another during the season. Hopefully Spaulding's balancers will also happen enough to negate the negatives.

Although Rodgers has been awfully impressive thus far getting the ball out, so I think, combined with an improved line, #3 may be largely addressed.

Even with all that, if the team stays healthy, I think they have as good a shot as anyone in the NFC this year, and they should continue to get better in the years to come.

This window has just begun to open.

rbaloha1
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
1) Clay Matthews hits a big sophomore slump as no one else steps up in the pass rush department and he can't beat double teams on his own
2) D-Line depth is shallower than it appears when Justin Harrell gets hurt and Neal, Wynn, and Wilson show they still need seasoning
3) Rodgers continues to hold the ball too long when he feels like the pressure is on for him to single-handedly win a game
5) Burnett plays like a rookie. He doesn't play poorly, but doesn't play consistently as he'll flash now and then before disappearing or giving up big plays
6) Raji is just a guy in the middle. While he does draw double teams on occasion, he never does end up "causing havoc"
7) Pickett is just a guy on the outside. He was more effective at his old position

Now please, please, please show me why I'm wrong and convince me these things won't happen

Paranoia. Packers to the Super Bowl.

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Paranoia. Packers to the Super Bowl.

1. Mathews WILL hit a sophomore slump they all seem too
2. I like our D Line with Raji, Pickett, Jenkins and Neal with the also rans subbing in
3. No Worries on AR...he went through his sophomore slump last year and didnt progress as much as we wanted ;) hehe
4. Hawk will be a ball hawk this year with 4 picks and 11 passes defended as we shut down TEs
5. Burnett will play like a rookie...a rookie golden god!!!
6. Raji's productivity will not show on the stat line that much but will occupy guys to help our LBs
7. see 6

Tarlam!
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
We allow Favre all afternoon to throw the ball, like last season and capers/M3 still don't know how to adjust.

I think this season it comes down to a couple of shootouts. Hopefully Longwell has a couple of off days.

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
We allow Favre all afternoon to throw the ball, like last season and capers/M3 still don't know how to adjust.

I think this season it comes down to a couple of shootouts. Hopefully Longwell has a couple of off days.

Favre will meltdown for 5 ints against the pack.

SkinBasket
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, Capers has almost a full year's experience hiding Bigby, so it shouldn't be too hard to hide Burnett if he needs more time to develop.

3irty1
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM

1) Clay Mathews, provided he is healthy, should only become more effective as a pass rusher. His pass rush got quite a bit better over the course of last season to the point where he was making guys look foolish. He still has plenty of room to improve and you'd be ok with him merely staying the same. If you have trouble sleeping tonight just remember that he went to USC.
2) Wynn is more of sure thing than Harrell even if the later is healthy. Wynn was a pleasant surprise last year and now has an NFL offseason under his belt. Also if backup and rotational DL are your second biggest problem then you don't have many problems.
3) Rodgers seemed to learn how to throw the ball away as the season went on last year. Not out of bounds, just downfield towards Finely.
4) This isn't the Bob Sanders defense anymore, our LB don't have to be defensive backs too. Did we really get beat up by any TEs last year? Either way the starters practice against Finely now so that should more than prep them.
5) Burnett could conceivably be worse than Bigby but at least his ball skills will punish those who try to take advantage of his inexperience. Fact: Safeties have the lowest bust rate of all NFL positions.
6) I have this concern too but an NFL off season should also help him quite a bit. He plays the most physically demanding position in football. His push and ability to anchor should improve along with his technique. Even if he doesn't get better than he was last year, we can live with that in the short term.
7) You mean like Jolly was? This move puts our best three on the field. I pity the interior offensive line that must deal with all that beef.

Smidgeon
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM

1) Clay Mathews, provided he is healthy, should only become more effective as a pass rusher. His pass rush got quite a bit better over the course of last season to the point where he was making guys look foolish. He still has plenty of room to improve and you'd be ok with him merely staying the same. If you have trouble sleeping tonight just remember that he went to USC.
2) Wynn is more of sure thing than Harrell even if the later is healthy. Wynn was a pleasant surprise last year and now has an NFL offseason under his belt. Also if backup and rotational DL are your second biggest problem then you don't have many problems.
3) Rodgers seemed to learn how to throw the ball away as the season went on last year. Not out of bounds, just downfield towards Finely.
4) This isn't the Bob Sanders defense anymore, our LB don't have to be defensive backs too. Did we really get beat up by any TEs last year? Either way the starters practice against Finely now so that should more than prep them.
5) Burnett could conceivably be worse than Bigby but at least his ball skills will punish those who try to take advantage of his inexperience. Fact: Safeties have the lowest bust rate of all NFL positions.
6) I have this concern too but an NFL off season should also help him quite a bit. He plays the most physically demanding position in football. His push and ability to anchor should improve along with his technique. Even if he doesn't get better than he was last year, we can live with that in the short term.
7) You mean like Jolly was? This move puts our best three on the field. I pity the interior offensive line that must deal with all that beef.

All reasonably thought out. Thank you. But the lingering things that remain:
1) If offenses double him, from where will the rush come?
2) Rotational DL always ends up being a big issue. I feel that's why Jenkins is always ineffective towards the end of the year.
3) Agreed. Except at times he had started to fall back into those habits in the Arizona game. I think he was starting to feel like he had to win it instead of the team doing it.
4) No, not necessarily TEs, but their coverage remains key. Slot WR crossing patterns anyone?
5) Did not know that about the bust rate. A little comforting. But to be fair, I still have nightmares about Manual and Roman.
6&7) I hope you're right. But as much as I like Hawk, I don't want another Top 10 pick to be ordinary or less (thank you Mandarich and Reynolds). I want Raji to be special.

CaptainKickass
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Favre will meltdown for 5 ints against the pack.

Now there's a hope we can all get behind!

ThunderDan
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM

2) Rotational DL always ends up being a big issue. I feel that's why Jenkins is always ineffective towards the end of the year.
3) Agreed. Except at times he had started to fall back into those habits in the Arizona game. I think he was starting to feel like he had to win it instead of the team doing it.
4) No, not necessarily TEs, but their coverage remains key. Slot WR crossing patterns anyone?
5) Did not know that about the bust rate. A little comforting. But to be fair, I still have nightmares about Manual and Roman.
6&7) I hope you're right. But as much as I like Hawk, I don't want another Top 10 pick to be ordinary or less (thank you Mandarich and Reynolds). I want Raji to be special.

To address point 3. Even in the AZ game where he was reverting back his stats were 28/42 423y 4td 1int 13y rush 1td 1 fumble lost. If our QB reverts back and we put 45 points on the board I am perfectly fine with that.

Smidgeon
08-19-2010, 04:16 PM

To address point 3. Even in the AZ game where he was reverting back his stats were 28/42 423y 4td 1int 13y rush 1td 1 fumble lost. If our QB reverts back and we put 45 points on the board I am perfectly fine with that.

I totally get what you're saying and agree, but if he hadn't started reverting, the Pack wouldn't have fallen behind so quickly and had to play from behind.

ThunderDan
08-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I totally get what you're saying and agree, but if hadn't started reverting, the Pack wouldn't have fallen behind so quickly and had to play from behind.

He really made the one bad throw to start the game and that is it. You can't blame DD fumble on ARod.

Smidgeon
08-19-2010, 05:05 PM
I totally get what you're saying and agree, but if hadn't started reverting, the Pack wouldn't have fallen behind so quickly and had to play from behind.

He really made the one bad throw to start the game and that is it. You can't blame DD fumble on ARod.

I wasn't talking about the one bad throw or the DD fumble, but that he seemed to be holding onto the ball longer and inviting unneccessary pressure or sacks. It really took him a series or two to shake that and get back to his game. Maybe it was just "First Playoff Game Jitters". If so, I'll take it.

Gunakor
08-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Pickett being on the end that Matthews lines up on will be a tremendous help to Matthews in the pass rush department. Pickett is a big guy. Pickett is a REALLY big guy. Pretty strong too. He might simply be a JAG at DE, but his presence there will open things up for Matthews. He'll command double teams more often than not, leaving Matthews single blocked on his way to the QB. Maybe they'll chip Matthews with a RB or a FB. LOL.

I'm excited about it, to be honest.

retailguy
08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
There aren't many holes on this team. It is stacked with Ted's personnel. There is no legitimate reason that this team should not be great. Every team in the NFL has a few weaknesses.

As long as the OL plays well, this team will be successful.

Take a deep breath and smile. It's gonna be a fun season.

red
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
people really really really just do not understand the linemans job in a 3-4

a 3-4 lineman is not suppose to be chasing around the qb and wreaking havoc in the backfield. they are suppose to be big fat cloggers. they are suppose to take on 2 or 3 blockers, tie them up and not get pushed back. they freen up the lb's to have clear shots at whoever has the ball. thats why it boggles my mind when i see play where we don't blitz at all. in a 3-4 lb's have to be blitzing on every play, they are the ones that should be wreaking havoc.

and we should bein good shape if raji is getting double and triple teamed all the time, that would mean he's doing his job

we have so much beef on our front line that it's awesome, we just need them to stay healthy because there is a big drop off after those three if harrell can't go

Haloti Ngata is the absolute perfect DE in the 3-4. he has 6.5 career sacks in in 62 career games. and only 124 tackles in those 4 years

like someone else mentioned 3-4 linemen will not jump out at you on the stat sheet

Smidgeon
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
people really really really just do not understand the linemans job in a 3-4

a 3-4 lineman is not suppose to be chasing around the qb and wreaking havoc in the backfield. they are suppose to be big fat cloggers. they are suppose to take on 2 or 3 blockers, tie them up and not get pushed back. they freen up the lb's to have clear shots at whoever has the ball. thats why it boggles my mind when i see play where we don't blitz at all. in a 3-4 lb's have to be blitzing on every play, they are the ones that should be wreaking havoc.

and we should bein good shape if raji is getting double and triple teamed all the time, that would mean he's doing his job

we have so much beef on our front line that it's awesome, we just need them to stay healthy because there is a big drop off after those three if harrell can't go

Haloti Ngata is the absolute perfect DE in the 3-4. he has 6.5 career sacks in in 62 career games. and only 124 tackles in those 4 years

like someone else mentioned 3-4 linemen will not jump out at you on the stat sheet

I get the responsibilities of the DL in the 3-4 in that if they're clogging up and commanding double or triple teams they're doing what they're supposed to. I'm just thinking to Raji's own comments about being put in the middle to cause havok and thinking especially about his strength at BC which was pass rush. I'd hate to think his strength will be mitigated by all the energy he uses on double teams.

The Leaper
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
1. I'm also worried that our pass rush will be subpar. Matthews can't do it himself. Capers has to grow some balls and use the blitz.
2. Our DL is shallow. Harrell clearly can't be counted on. Jolly is gone. Raji and Pickett are not pass rushers. I can't expect any of the noobs to suddenly become Pro Bowlers. We need the LBs to step up this year.
3. Not worried about our passing game. Rodgers looks great, and the OL has improved in terms of pass blocking ability from the first half of 2009.
4. TEs have become more athletic and more talented in recent years. TEs aren't just a tough matchup for our LBs. Think Finley is causing other teams to question their LBs? Yeah.
5. Burnett IS a rookie. Of course he'll play like one to an extent. If he was talented enough not to, he would've been picked a lot higher. He was selected to become a better coverage safety than Bigby is...and I'm confident that Burnett will be a better coverage safety by the midpoint of the season. He'll make rookie mistakes though.
6/7. Raji and Pickett need the LBs to step up. They can't generate havoc on their own consistently.

3irty1
08-20-2010, 01:41 PM

4) No, not necessarily TEs, but their coverage remains key. Slot WR crossing patterns anyone

1) Lets not pretend that him drawing extra protection isn't a great thing. The baseball equivalent is drawing a walk. As we know the best hitters in baseball draw walks and hit homeruns. If Mathews takes two hats to stop then it takes only one competent player to win their one-on-one. To answer, the pass rush will come from everywhere.
2) True, and in the Packers defense we usually have two guys on the field at once in a 2-4 which is by far our most popular scheme. If you consider Wynn competent, that leaves two rotational players. All this is assuming that Harrell, Neal, and Wilson are all trash. Personally I feel this group to be a major strength and it wouldn't surprise me to see us utilize a 3-3 more often as our base pass defense due to all the DEs we have with the ability to rush off the edge (Jenkins, Wynn, Wilson).
3) It actually was on him to win that game and he lit AZ up. Hopefully the defense and refs do their job a bit more next time but A-Rod has to be the least of your worries if you are a Packer fan.
4) Making Chillar a starter should help with the pass defense. At this time last year we were starting Kampman and Poppinga as OLB. Barnett shook some rust off as the year went on. If you care what Bedard thinks, Bishop has improved his coverage dramatically and can even stick with Finley on occasion. As the season goes on at least there are options for adjustment.
5) Manuel was a 6th round pick journeyman FA signing. Roman was a 2nd round pick but by the time he got to us he was a 4 year vet. Since Burnett is a rookie and easily won the starting job gives one reason to believe he's the Josh Sitton of safeties. There's a chance they found gold.
6) By all accords he's on track to be just that. DT's take a while to become NFL ready and Raji appears ahead of the curve in that he's already holding down the NT position and pushing another solid NT, Pickett, out to DE. I could see him becoming a difference maker as early as this season as he adapts from shooting gaps with his speed, to dominating another player one-on-one or even one-on-two. BJ is already good enough to make us not shitty, don't get too greedy.

Jimx29
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Arod breaks his leg and we have to rely on........yikes

Lurker64
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Well, how many good teams are there in the NFL that, if they lost their starting QB wouldn't be totally screwed?

I mean, only a Peyton Manning injury separates a 13-3 Colts team from a 3-13 Colts team.

Fritz
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Things I dread that may happen...Numb changes his avatar.