PDA

View Full Version : Atari's injury taking longer then expected

packers11
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers S Atari Bigby's recovery timetable from ankle surgery has now been set at 4-8 weeks, making him a candidate to start the year on the PUP list.

Bigby's original prognosis from Aug. 9 was four weeks, so this is a step back. Even if he doesn't end up missing the first six weeks of the season while on the PUP list, rookie Morgan Burnett has the strong safety job locked up.

Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

Looks like week 1 we will see if Burnett is the real deal... I wish Atari was healthy so Burnett could slowly be worked in but I hope he responds well being thrown right into the fire (Like Matthews)

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I like the chances of this kid. In practice he goes against the best offense in the game and has to line up against AR, GJ, DD, JF and the rest.

Little Whiskey
08-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Bigby said to Jason Wilde that he would be very disapointed if he started the season on the PUP list. Meaning that he feels confident he'll be heathy by week one. Jason pointed out that he has missed all of the offseason and with basically 5 practices left to go he will not be starting week one. then it comes down to what the packers want to do. go with him being inactive for the first few weeks and let him suck up a roster spot while he gets up to speed or put him on the PUP and not have him until after week 6 and free up that roster spot. From what i've read and heard about burnett, i'd lean to letting him start on the PUP.

CaptainKickass
08-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Well - just like the ol' Atari 2600

http://www.nwcomputers.com/atari2600.jpg

Everything eventually gets replaced.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Ah, put him on the PUP so he can heal and you can keep an extra roster spot to give a young guy a tryout.

Gunakor
08-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm comfortable with starting the season with Bigby on the PUP list if he's not close yet. Peprah seems to be a capable backup in the meantime, or at least he seemed capable as a backup last Saturday.

Still, I look forward to his return to health. Being healthy, he'd be the best backup safety we have on the roster by far. And if Burnett still looks like a rookie in week 6, Bigby might have an opportunity at the starting job in week 7.

rbaloha1
08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Cut the dude. Derrick Martin as a backup is fine.

retailguy
08-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Ah, put him on the PUP so he can heal and you can keep an extra roster spot to give a young guy a tryout.

maybe he could manage the pro shop?

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 09:28 PM

http://www.nwcomputers.com/atari2600.jpg

I was really good at that hemorrhoids game.

get louder at lambeau
08-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Let's hope Burnett is more successful than the 5200.

Gunakor
08-20-2010, 01:04 AM

If Derrick Martin was better than Atari Bigby he'd have been starting last season. Bigby as a backup is better than Martin as a backup. We want to keep the best 53, right?

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 02:20 AM

If Derrick Martin was better than Atari Bigby he'd have been starting last season. Bigby as a backup is better than Martin as a backup. We want to keep the best 53, right?

Thing that concerns me most about Bigby, apart from Skin's scathing hate for the player, is his motivation to actually wanna be a Packer. Maybe he lists as one of the best 53 from a skill level. But I am concerned that he is very unhappy with his contract situation.

Gunakor
08-20-2010, 04:42 AM

Thing that concerns me most about Bigby, apart from Skin's scathing hate for the player, is his motivation to actually wanna be a Packer. Maybe he lists as one of the best 53 from a skill level. But I am concerned that he is very unhappy with his contract situation.

The thing is, though, that if he doesn't play at a high level this season he's not going to get a better contract from anybody next season. He has to earn that contract. So there's motivation to work hard and play well whether he wants to be here or not.

falco
08-20-2010, 05:53 AM
The thing is, though, that if he doesn't play at a high level this season he's not going to get a better contract from anybody next season. He has to earn that contract. So there's motivation to work hard and play well whether he wants to be here or not.

I agree. but for what it is worth, I don't think Bigby has shown a great degree of 'good decision making ability' to this point. He might be likely to mope out the rest of the year.

Gunakor
08-20-2010, 06:16 AM

I agree. but for what it is worth, I don't think Bigby has shown a great degree of 'good decision making ability' to this point. He might be likely to mope out the rest of the year.

That would be a huge mistake on his part. But even if he does, what do we lose by keeping him? Derrick Martin?

Rosenhaus is no idiot. A snake, to be sure, but not an idiot. I'm sure he's telling Bigby the same thing I'm saying here today. Work hard, play well, get paid. After all, Rosenhaus has a stake in this as well. Playing in a contract year, I can't imagine Bigby moping around all season if he's seeking a lucrative long term deal somewhere.

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Bigby, like Colledge, thinks he's shown enough to earn that fat contract. We Packer fans, with so much focus on every aspect of the team, have seen 3/4 of a great season from the guy.

Some team in need of a veteran Safety will pay him more than TT will based on that body of work.

It seems to me that when you have a QB like Rodgers and you're picking up the Bulagas and Mathews of this world, the team is being structured a certain way.

TT has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he takes great care of Packer People. IMHO, that's why he jettisoned #4. (He was too new to really get the Wahle thing right and I'm convinced he'd do that differently).

My point? Continue to get rid of non Packer People, TT, despite the short term.

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 11:51 AM
So in the last couple posts people have claimed that Bigby has not shown good decision making and is not Packer people. I'll bet there's nothing to back that up except conjecture. Despite how people act, he didn't hold out at all, and I don't think he's ever said anything that makes me think he's not a team player.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
The Drew Rosenhaus curse remains.

Patler
08-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I seriously doubt Bigby was looking for a huge contract, just something longer term, perhaps with a modest bonus.

Bigby has been a starter for three seasons, yet has been basically a minimum wage player throughout his career. From 2006-2008 Charlie Peprah was paid as much as Bigby (actually a few thousand more, I think). Tony Moll was paid more. Junius Coston was paid more the years he was here. Will Blackmon makes more. Jarrett Bush has made more, and last year with his bonus, he made a half-million more than Bigby. Aaron Rouse made more in 2007 and 2008 than Bigby did. I could go on and on. The Packers stepped up just a little last year with Bigby, but with no bonus, so no guarantee, unlike what they did for Bush. Then this year, they gave him the least they could offer to make him stay.

Every drafted player has had bonus money they were guaranteed. Bigby's total bonuses? - $15,000. over three years. Yet he has been a starter.

I don't blame Bigby for trying to get a better deal. Not at all. I didn't blame Grant at all either. Players who come into the league undrafted generally play catchup for most of their careers, unless they become stars.

Fritz
08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Holy smokes. Orange Junius and Tony Moll made more than Bigby?

Wow.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I seriously doubt Bigby was looking for a huge contract, just something longer term, perhaps with a modest bonus.

Bigby has been a starter for three seasons, yet has been basically a minimum wage player throughout his career. From 2006-2008 Charlie Peprah was paid as much as Bigby (actually a few thousand more, I think). Tony Moll was paid more. Junius Coston was paid more the years he was here. Will Blackmon makes more. Jarrett Bush has made more, and last year with his bonus, he made a half-million more than Bigby. Aaron Rouse made more in 2007 and 2008 than Bigby did. I could go on and on. The Packers stepped up just a little last year with Bigby, but with no bonus, so no guarantee, unlike what they did for Bush. Then this year, they gave him the least they could offer to make him stay.

Every drafted player has had bonus money they were guaranteed. Bigby's total bonuses? - $15,000. over three years. Yet he has been a starter.

I don't blame Bigby for trying to get a better deal. Not at all. I didn't blame Grant at all either. Players who come into the league undrafted generally play catchup for most of their careers, unless they become stars.

How many times did Bigby change agents? Rosenhaus always shoots for the stars.

Bigby thought by hiring Rosenhaus he could secure a big contract -- like Jennings and Collins.

Patler
08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Bigby thought by hiring Rosenhaus he could secure a big contract -- like Jennings and Collins.

I doubt that very, very much.

Actually, Rosenhaus has a very good reputation for getting deals done for typical players. Even at the time of the Walker fiasco, the Packers said Rosenhaus was one of the best agents to deal with because he moves things along.

It's only the high profile guys that Rosenhaus goes wild with.

Patler
08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Holy smokes. Orange Junius and Tony Moll made more than Bigby?

Wow.

Yup. Goes to show how much difference it makes to be drafted, whether you are any good as a pro or not.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Actually, Rosenhaus has a very good reputation for getting deals done for typical players. Even at the time of the Walker fiasco, the Packers said Rosenhaus was one of the best agents to deal with because he moves things along.

I do not recall the Packers complimenting Rosenhaus on the Walker deal especially since he was escalating the problems.

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM

I do not recall the Packers complimenting Rosenhaus on the Walker deal especially since he was escalating the problems.

News to me as well. I'm sure Patler has a source, though.

And I stand by my comments in this thread. TT has proven beyond a doubt by actions that he takes care of deserving players. Obviously Bigby and Colledge still haven't proven their value, except for their current deals.

Patler
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Perhaps I was not clear. They didn't compliment Rosenhaus about the Walker situation, but said he is generally one of the best to work with. That he repesents a lot of other players, and gets things done.

That same off season, the Packers signed a couple other deals with Rosenhaus players.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Perhaps I was not clear. They didn't compliment Rosenhaus about the Walker situation, but said he is generally one of the best to work with. That he repesents a lot of other players, and gets things done.

That same off season, the Packers signed a couple other deals with Rosenhaus players.

Which players?

swede
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM

And I stand by my comments in this thread. TT has proven beyond a doubt by actions that he takes care of deserving players. Obviously Bigby and Colledge still haven't proven their value, except for their current deals.

Patler is often careful to be precise about meaning. He did not say the Packers were complimentary about Rosenhaus and his role in the Walker deal. He said at the time of the Walker deal the Packers mentioned that Rosenhaus was a good agent to deal with.

In the context of the rest of Patler's post, I took it to mean that, in the mind of the Packers organization, Rosenhaus had a history of quick, fair work on contracts with low-profie players.

I guess the question is whether or not Drew, Atari and the Packers see Mr. Bigby as a big deal player or a low-profile player.

EDIT: This post has been rendered obsolete since Patler answered for his own damself.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Patler is often careful to be precise about meaning. He did not say the Packers were complimentary about Rosenhaus and his role in the Walker deal. He said at the time of the Walker deal the Packers mentioned that Rosenhaus was a good agent to deal with.

In the context of the rest of Patler's post, I took it to mean that, in the mind of the Packers organization, Rosenhaus had a history of quick, fair work on contracts with low-profie players.

I guess the question is whether or not Drew, Atari and the Packers see Mr. Bigby as a big deal player or a low-profile player.

EDIT: This post has been rendered obsolete since Patler answered for his own damself.

Why do you hire Rosenhaus if end up just signing the tender? Why is Rosenhaus needed?

swede
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I suspect that Rosenaus will get a good deal quickly for his Joe NFL guys and collect his ten percent. Win-win. Joe NFL guys can't afford to be holding out or they will lose their job. Drew gets it done.

Drew and the NFL teams build up some good will before they have to get into the tough contracts.

Just a guess.

Besides, just because your agent is Drew Rosenhaus doesn't mean you really get Drew Rosenhaus. Joe NFL probably gets Joe "Assistant to Mr. Rosenhaus" for 90% of the negotiations.

Patler
08-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Which players?

Little and Freeman for sure, and a one year deal with Davenport as I recall. I think there was a linebacker they signed that year too, but I don't remember who.

Patler
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm glad at least one person understood my original post! :lol:

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm glad at least one person understood my original post! :lol:

Hey now, give us a break - we've been Patlerized so often! :oops:

Fritz
08-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Frickin' Patler.

Frickin' Patler.