PDA

View Full Version : Harvin Collapses and Taken by Ambulance to Hospital

vince
08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Percyh Harvin just collapsed at Vikings practice and has been gtaken to the hospital by ambulance. The team convened for a prayer session as he was sped off to the emergency room.

Per ESPN SportsCenter

hoosier
08-19-2010, 01:10 PM
According to the Star Tribune he didn't particpate in practice, then vomited and collapsed. Doesn't sound like heat exhaustion. Possibly a migrane. Let's hope it's just that.

Tarlam!
08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
This is incredibley sad IMHO. I know he wears the dreaded Purple, but there's no denying what an enrichment he is for the NFL. I, for one, am pulling for his speedy recovery.

packers11
08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
this guy has had a bad streak of luck with the migraines... its like JH and his back - just when you think its all better , more shit pops up...

I hope him a speedy recovery / hope hes ok - but it looks like at this rate his days of playing football are over...

vince
08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Probably migraines. Hopefully he'll be OK.

SMACKTALKIE
08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Probably migraines. Hopefully he'll be OK.

They said he "looked at the sky" during a punt return and that is when it happened. It's fairly cool out today in Minneapolis with no sun so this must be a migrane episode.

Tony Oday
08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Hope he is back for the '11 season...

In all seriousness hope he is ok that sucks

sharpe1027
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, hopefully it is just a bad migraine.

Pugger
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Migraines can be debilitating. My mother used to get these and she'd be bed ridden for days.

mraynrand
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Let's hope he just fainted from being again in the presence of LORD FAVRE.

get louder at lambeau
08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Let's hope he just fainted from being again in the presence of LORD FAVRE.

Well, he DID vomit.

Little Whiskey
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
rumor has it that favre would let them stop practicing after he went down. Even though chilly wanted to stop. this is according to Steve True from ESPN milwaukee.

mngolf19
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
They also said earlier that migraines can be brought on by stress and since his grandmother died recently that he may be still going through the stress of that.

Fritz
08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Okay, I hope the guy is okay. I do.

But I can't help but wonder...do Minny fans rip Rick Spielman for taking Harvin as an "injury risk" since he had the migraines in college too?

packerbacker1234
08-19-2010, 06:08 PM
He has migraine issues since age 10. It's really a sad deal, knowing what one feels like, I can't imagine getting them frequently. There is nothing he can really do about it apparently either, no quick fix, no cure, it's just something he has to live with.

Really feel bad for him, even if he wears purple. He is quite the talent when he is on the field.

superfan
08-19-2010, 06:34 PM

But I can't help but wonder...do Minny fans rip Rick Spielman for taking Harvin as an "injury risk" since he had the migraines in college too?

I would guess not, because despite the migraines he was very productive last year, good enough to earn NFC Rookie of the Year honors. And he looks to have a bright future if he can find a way to play through this condition.

I sense a Harrell comparison in your statement, which IMO is a non-comparison. Completely different situations, due mostly to on field results.

Of course there is probably a vocal but extreme minority subgroup of "Spielman haters" out there somewhere that are ripping the Harvin pick.

Freak Out
08-19-2010, 06:38 PM

I would guess not, because despite the migraines he was very productive last year, good enough to earn NFC Rookie of the Year honors. And he looks to have a bright future if he can find a way to play through this condition.

I sense a Harrell comparison in your statement, which IMO is a non-comparison. Completely different situations, due mostly to on field results.

Of course there is probably a vocal but extreme minority subgroup of "Spielman haters" out there somewhere that are ripping the Harvin pick.

I'd trade Harrell for him....headaches, vomit and all. :lol:

retailguy
08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Hope he's OK. Don't like to see anyone get hurt.

Well, except for Warren Sapp anyhow... :x

MichiganPackerFan
08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Impressed with the quantity of "high road" posts here

Fritz
08-20-2010, 10:02 AM

You are correct. I'm not sure the situations are quite as different as you think. I grant that Harvin was more productive, but in the limited time Harrell got on the field his first year, he showed promise -he just was on the field less. And if Harvin's migraines don't allow him to get on the field much any more, is that a poor pick? Or was one year's production enough to justify the pick?

I'm not picking on Harvin here. I'm interested in where lines get drawn as to when a pick is not the GM's fault (guy gets hurt who hasn't been hurt) and when it is. The line is not as clear as it might seem.

As for Harvin, I do hope he gets better. I don't wish migraines on anybody. Well, not on many people, anyway...

Scott Campbell
08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
The buck stops with the GM, and that includes things like plain ole bad luck.

SMACKTALKIE
08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
The buck stops with the GM, and that includes things like plain ole bad luck.

There were not many indications Harvin had migrane issues in College. The Vikings did their homework on him given his positive test for THC at the combine, which could be easier to explain now. They went as far as personal interviews with his family members.

That being said, as a Vikings fan I could not be happier with Spielman and his picks. He is on his 4th draft now and has selected 2 ROY's, 3 pro bowlers, and players that are key to the team like Brian Robison, LeTroy Guion, Phil Loadholt, John Sullivan, Jasper Brinkley, and Asher Allen. In his second year as VP of Player Personnel he orchestrated the trade for Jared Allen.

Spielman's track record speaks for itself.

mraynrand
08-20-2010, 11:04 AM

I like to be the exception that proves the rule. But seriously, does anyone really want this guy to do poorly? I hope the guy recovers fully, for his sake and for the sake of the game. I want the Packers to beat the Packers at full strength. Leave no doubt!

Tarlam!
08-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm interested in where lines get drawn as to when a pick is not the GM's fault (guy gets hurt who hasn't been hurt) and when it is. The line is not as clear as it might seem.

As for Harvin, I do hope he gets better. I don't wish migraines on anybody. Well, not on many people, anyway...

T-Murph is such a pick. How is a GM supposed to know a player has whatever spinal disease he has?

MichiganPackerFan
08-20-2010, 11:39 AM

I like to be the exception that proves the rule. But seriously, does anyone really want this guy to do poorly? I hope the guy recovers fully, for his sake and for the sake of the game. I want the Packers to beat the Packers at full strength. Leave no doubt!

the did that enough during the mike sherman era. enough is enough. :D

SMACKTALKIE
08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
According to WCCO news at noon, Harvin is at Winter Park for practice but not practicing. They said he looks well and is laughing and joking with coaches and players. Probably too early to say all is well, may possibly never be able to say that, but good signs for now.

Fritz
08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm interested in where lines get drawn as to when a pick is not the GM's fault (guy gets hurt who hasn't been hurt) and when it is. The line is not as clear as it might seem.

T-Murph is such a pick. How is a GM supposed to know a player has whatever spinal disease he has?

That's a good example. There was a thread here back when in which some posters suggested that the narrow spinal cord thing was or could have been known to Thompson, and thus Murhpy was a bad pick.

But it can cut both ways. The primary reason that the Vikes landed AP as far down as they did (wasn't he the #6 overall?) was because there were concerns about his....durability. And nobody in Minnesota is complaining about that pick (nor of course should they be).

Part of the draft is a crapshoot. Luck. If Harrell hadn't hurt his back lifting weights in the offseason, how would he be doing? We don't know.

Ultimately, it's on the GM but only because he's the one who pays with his job if his mistakes are compounded by bad luck. But I try to be careful not to blame a GM for I would think of as "bad luck" situations.

I think Jamaal Reynolds was a bad pick, and Justin Harrell was bad luck. But of course I could be wrong. It's possible had Harrell not hurt his back he'd suck anyway. We don't know.

Sorry to get this off track. So how 'bout that Percy Harvin, huh? Glad he's feeling better!

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM

That's a good example. There was a thread here back when in which some posters suggested that the narrow spinal cord thing was or could have been known to Thompson, and thus Murhpy was a bad pick.

But it can cut both ways. The primary reason that the Vikes landed AP as far down as they did (wasn't he the #6 overall?) was because there were concerns about his....durability. And nobody in Minnesota is complaining about that pick (nor of course should they be).

Part of the draft is a crapshoot. Luck. If Harrell hadn't hurt his back lifting weights in the offseason, how would he be doing? We don't know.

Ultimately, it's on the GM but only because he's the one who pays with his job if his mistakes are compounded by bad luck. But I try to be careful not to blame a GM for I would think of as "bad luck" situations.

I think Jamaal Reynolds was a bad pick, and Justin Harrell was bad luck. But of course I could be wrong. It's possible had Harrell not hurt his back he'd suck anyway. We don't know.

Sorry to get this off track. So how 'bout that Percy Harvin, huh? Glad he's feeling better!

I think it really is luck on some of the injury concerns. Do we not draft Sterling Sharpe? He had the same condition as T-Murph. It just took 6 or 7 years to be hit in the right way to end his career.

mraynrand
08-20-2010, 05:49 PM

they did that enough during the mike sherman era. enough is enough. :D

:oops: :D