PDA

View Full Version : Its Time for Hawk's Paycheck to Match Winning Performance

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Moss has long prodded A.J. Hawk to do more than just be sure of his assignment. He's now extended that to the entire group, Nick Barnett included.

"A.J.'s efficiency was fine, but to not only give up a touchdown (pass) and to come back and not make any impactful plays, that's not even close to a winning performance," Moss said.

Clearly Bishop is in position to swoop in and take Hawk's spot.

Bossman641
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Don't hold your breath

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Ya got a link to the story you got that from? A little context would help.

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Moss has long prodded A.J. Hawk to do more than just be sure of his assignment. He's now extended that to the entire group, Nick Barnett included.

"A.J.'s efficiency was fine, but to not only give up a touchdown (pass) and to come back and not make any impactful plays, that's not even close to a winning performance," Moss said.

If Bishop was good enough to take Hawk's spot he already would have. There is a reason Bishop doesn't see the field much. He needs to limit his mental errors.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 11:51 AM

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/101129659.html

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks. And yes, that DID put it in perspective. He said NONE of the LBs measured up to his new standards. That would include Bishop.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM

If Bishop was good enough to take Hawk's spot he already would have. There is a reason Bishop doesn't see the field much. He needs to limit his mental errors.

Agreed. Consistency is the only thing holding Bishop back.

Nonetheless Coach Capers opened up this position just like the rolb and the nickel position. Why?

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks. And yes, that DID put it in perspective. He said NONE of the LBs measured up to his new standards. That would include Bishop.

Why is Bishop not mentioned by name like Hawk?

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Because he's not a starter? Because the only two LBs mentioned were the starters? Because Greg Bedard chose only the most interesting quotes to use? Who knows?

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Because he's not a starter? Because the only two LBs mentioned were the starters? Because Greg Bedard chose only the most interesting quotes to use? Who knows?

Good points. Is Barnett's starting position up for grabs like Hawk?

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 12:08 PM

If he plays like he did against the Browns this week it might be. Check him out on the first play in the "highlights", where he just stands still looking into the backfield until the ball is caught right by him-
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d819c3624/Browns-vs-Packers-highlights

Fritz
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Moss is using tougher grading standards.

I wonder which linebackers' parents will come in to bitch at Moss for being unfair to their children?

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM

If he plays like he did against the Browns this week it might be. Check him out on the first play in the "highlights", where he just stands still looking into the backfield until the ball is caught right by him-
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d819c3624/Browns-vs-Packers-highlights

Who else is available to compete against Barnett? Is the ilb a weak spot?

Patler
08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Heard two things about Bishop while driving yesterday:

I think it was MM (maybe Capers, I've forgotten) who basically said Bishop has been playing mostly great, but in the first game totally blew his responsibilities twice. Then he said something to the effect of, "We just can't have that, but otherwise he has played great."

An interview with Bishop in which he said he tries to overlook the fact that because of "the cards he was dealt" in coming to GB he has never had a fair chance.

The "fair chance" comments keep coming from Bishop's mouth. Perhaps it is that attitude that retards his growth in overcoming the mistakes. If he can't accept his own shortcomings, will he ever improve them?

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM

I think it was MM (maybe Capers, I've forgotten) who basically said Bishop has been playing mostly great, but in the first game totally blew his responsibilities twice. Then he said something to the effect of, "We just can't have that, but otherwise he has played great."

An interview with Bishop in which he said he tries to overlook the fact that because of "the cards he was dealt" in coming to GB he has never had a fair chance.

The "fair chance" comments keep coming from Bishop's mouth. Perhaps it is that attitude that retards his growth in overcoming the mistakes. If he can't accept his own shortcomings, will he ever improve them?

Ego maybe is Bishop's biggest obstacle. Dude has a real chance to underseat Hawk and sign a big contract.

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Who else is available to compete against Barnett? Is the ilb a weak spot?

From what I've read/heard, Bishop would be a better Mack than Buck, meaning he'd be a better replacement for Barnett.

Brandon494
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM
If Bishop and Hawk switched draft spots who would be starting?

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Hawk. The coaches and GMs know their jobs are on the line and can't afford to keep the best players off of the field just because of draft position.

Patler
08-20-2010, 02:04 PM

It's clear what Bishop thinks! :D

ND72
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Ego maybe is Bishop's biggest obstacle. Dude has a real chance to underseat Hawk and sign a big contract.

:lol: :lol: A "big" contract? Kidding me? Bishop can't cover a bunny rabbit hit by a semi, which is why he can't get on the field on passing downs, and when he is in on passing downs, they need to blitz him, just to protect him. and all he can do is blow up leading guards in the 4th quarter of preseason games...that's why bishop isn't playing. I personally found it hilarious watching Joe Thomas pull around and with one arm pancake Bishop to the ground on one play last weekend.

I'm as big of a Hawk fan as anyone, but I also am realistic with it and know that he's not the worlds greatest LB. But I also know that Hawk is better than Bishop.

SkinBasket
08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
He said NONE of the LBs measured up to his new standards. That would include Bishop.

I would see that as a failure of coaching. Either his standards are too high or his ability to coach his players to those standards is insufficient. Except for Poppinga, he just blows goats.

get louder at lambeau
08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
He said NONE of the LBs measured up to his new standards. That would include Bishop.

I would see that as a failure of coaching. Either his standards are too high or his ability to coach his players to those standards is insufficient. Except for Poppinga, he just blows goats.

Moss is the Inside LB Coach, so he doesn't get any credit for Poppinga's improvement this offseason. It sounds like he's doing that standard management thing, and raising the goals to try to get more out of his employees. But yeah, the ILBs sucked this week, and it's his job to get them to not suck.

Brandon494
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I believe Bishop is a better fit in the 3-4 over Hawk. Also last time I checked Hawk is not all that great at covering either. I don't know, maybe I'm being bias because I never liked the Hawk pick. Thought he was overrated coming out of Ohio State and so far seems to be the case.

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Would we even be having this conversation if .... after every 5th play Hawk did a samari dance or some other celebration?

I think because Hawk is such a lunch pail type of guy he never gets credit for what he actual does. After the 2 ints last year he went to the sidelines while his teammates jumped on him. No dance, no smacking his chest.

Brandon494
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Would we even be having this conversation if .... after every 5th play Hawk did a samari dance or some other celebration?

I think because Hawk is such a lunch pail type of guy he never gets credit for what he actual does. After the 2 ints last year he went to the sidelines while his teammates jumped on him. No dance, no smacking his chest.

What does that have to do with anything? :?:

Hes a top 5 pick that plays average at best. Just like most Ohio St players he was overrated coming out and Im not going to give him a pass just because hes a good guy.

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Hes a top 5 pick that plays average at best. Just like most Ohio St players he was overrated coming out and Im not going to give him a pass just because hes a good guy.

It has everything to do with it. He isn't a flashy guy so it is hard to remember all the really good things he does.

What does Hawk being the 5th pick in the draft have to do with anything? :?:

He is better than Bishop plain and simple.

Fritz
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Now there's a visual.

mraynrand
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
If the coaches are seriously considering replacing Hawk with Bishop, even just in the nickel, they had better give him considerable reps against starting offenses in the preseason.

Pugger
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM

It has everything to do with it. He isn't a flashy guy so it is hard to remember all the really good things he does.

This the problem some folks have with Hawk. Because he was taken so high they think he's garbage because he isn't the second coming of Ray Lewis. I have no problem with him. He's on the field, playing hard, doing what his coaches ask, is not a diva and he's not on a police blotter.

Brandon494
08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
He might be better than Bishop but its no doubt that Bishop has more potential and thats why Id rather have Bishop get more playing time. So just because Hawk doesn't dance I don't notice his play? :roll: Give me a break, the dude rarely makes impact plays and can't cover any better than Bishop but hey he sure is assignment sure.

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
He might be better than Bishop but its no doubt that Bishop has more potential and thats why Id rather have Bishop get more playing time. So just because Hawk doesn't dance I don't notice his play? :roll: Give me a break, the dude rarely makes impact plays and can't cover any better than Bishop but hey he sure is assignment sure.

How many times last year did he eat a guard to allow Barnett to make the tackle? How many times did he run an X blitz as the first man thru to eat the RB picking up the blitzer to let Barnett get the sack or pressure?

Those aren't highlight reel plays but they are exactly what he is assigned to do. That allows other players to then be in a position to make the play.

Bishop would run thru the wrong hole, the guard would get his body on Barnett and the RB is running against the Safeties for a TD.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Hawk does not do enough good things -- that is why Capers opened up the position.

LBs rarely get picked as high as Hawk. A pick this high means Urlacher and Willis type impact. Not just running around being assignment sure.

Coach Capers does not agree with your assessment that Hawk is better at this moment.

ThunderDan
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Coach Capers does not agree with your assessment that Hawk is better at this moment.

Really? Then why is Hawk starting in the base D?

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Really? Then why is Hawk starting in the base D?

For now. Lets see when the season starts. Coach Capers has clearly stated Bishop will be given every opportunity to win the position.

Cheesehead Craig
08-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Been hearing so long about how Hawk is about to be replaced but yet it never seems to happen.

rbaloha1
08-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Been hearing so long about how Hawk is about to be replaced but yet it never seems to happen.

Its the first time a legitimate player can challenge Hawk. If DB can beat-out Hawk the Packers his career in GB is done.

Fritz
08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
This thread is being hijacked. I thought it was about Winston Moss blowing goats.

packerbacker1234
08-21-2010, 12:41 AM

THis is why he was considered a "safe pick", and why it upset so many people. You knew he wasn't going to blow balls, but you also figured he most likely wasn't going to be a stud either. Hence, a safe pick. Guarenteed to not really be bust, but wont be a game changer either.

I don't hate hawk, he is an okay LB and could start for several other teams. He just does not compliment barnett at all, and thats not a good problem to have.

swede
08-21-2010, 01:05 AM
What a weak first round draft!

Even with the full benefit of hindsight there were only one or two players in the whole first round that are clearly performing better than Hawk. Haloti Ngata is the only other defensive player I'd covet from that draft from pick five on. I just can't work up any regret for taking Hawk when we did IN THAT DRAFT CLASS!

Colledge with the next pick...hmmmm?

PlantPage55
08-21-2010, 01:15 AM

Welcome to the forum, Desmond!

Lurker64
08-21-2010, 01:48 AM
What a weak first round draft!

Even with the full benefit of hindsight there were only one or two players in the whole first round that are clearly performing better than Hawk. Haloti Ngata is the only other defensive player I'd covet from that draft from pick five on. I just can't work up any regret for taking Hawk when we did IN THAT DRAFT CLASS!

Colledge with the next pick...hmmmm?

And yet, that year was widely hyped as one of the "BEST DRAFT CLASSES EVER" I think in large part because of the huge hype some of the offensive guys (Leinart, Bush, Young) had coming out. Pretty fair to say that's one of the most overhyped (and hence underwhelming) draft classes of all time.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Bishop = most overrated Packer ever

Seriously, the coaches don't have much faith him in him, and every chance he gets in a meaningful situation (e.g. not preseason) he's been a complete failure. He brings none of the big plays from preseason, but he brings all of the inconsistency. Yet, there are those that think he's on the cusp of greatness. I'd say the chances are quite high that he'll NEVER be a considered a solid starter in the league.

Fred's Slacks
08-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Bishop = most overrated Packer ever

Seriously, the coaches don't have much faith him in him, and every chance he gets in a meaningful situation (e.g. not preseason) he's been a complete failure. He brings none of the big plays from preseason, but he brings all of the inconsistency. Yet, there are those that think he's on the cusp of greatness. I'd say the chances are quite high that he'll NEVER be a considered a solid starter in the league.

While I agree with alot of this Harv, one thing is not correct. He has made some big plays in the regular season. The Viking game sticks out (the same one that he gave up the big TD on his first play in the game). On a forth a inches, he stuffed AD in the backfield and forced a fumble. On a third and short against Houston a couple of years ago he stuffed the RB in the backfield to force a punt. So, I'm not sold that he's any better than average at this point, but he has made plays when it matters.

RashanGary
08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm going to bring back up one of Patler's posts. Bishop feels he's a mistreated victim. Instead of focusing on and talking about the things he needs to fix, he's spending his time complaining that he's not on the field.

There are people who are just really healthy thinkers, always focused on what they can do next, never really worried or stressed. They have a, "do something about it attitude". When they do, "do something", it's not a backhanded shot, it's just good, natural communication.

Bishop seems like the type of person who could have a hard time fitting in and a hard time staying focused on the right things.

Fritz
08-21-2010, 08:41 AM
My guess is that as fans we love to see and therefore focus upon the eye-popping plays - the big hits, the interceptions, the guy shooting the gap and tackling someone for a loss. And those are great plays. But I suspect we underestimate the importance of consistency, at least in certain positions. We can see at wide receiver or quarterback that consistency is necessary. You can't make a spectacular catch but then drop a bunch of footballs.

But at some positions that might be harder to see. I'm thinking defensive line or linebacker. So maybe lots of us love Bishop's big play streak but we don't see as well as the coaches do how much damage he does to the team when he misses an assignment.

RashanGary
08-21-2010, 08:51 AM
The Packers cut Brian Brohm and kept Flynn on the 53 in their ROOKIE years. I don't think the Packers are all too concerned about draft status. That is Bishop feeling sorry for himself and pouting. That's probably not the reality. We'll see. Bishop will leave here after this year and we'll see if he's a great player in the league. I doubt he'll even be good.

SkinBasket
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
This thread is being hijacked. I thought it was about Winston Moss blowing goats.

Poppinga blows goats.

Winston is just another well-liked, but overrated, black coach.

ThunderDan
08-21-2010, 08:55 AM
My guess is that as fans we love to see and therefore focus upon the eye-popping plays - the big hits, the interceptions, the guy shooting the gap and tackling someone for a loss. And those are great plays. But I suspect we underestimate the importance of consistency, at least in certain positions. We can see at wide receiver or quarterback that consistency is necessary. You can't make a spectacular catch but then drop a bunch of footballs.

But at some positions that might be harder to see. I'm thinking defensive line or linebacker. So maybe lots of us love Bishop's big play streak but we don't see as well as the coaches do how much damage he does to the team when he misses an assignment.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Doing your job in Hawk's roll is eating a lot of blockers to let Barnett clean up behind him. That Hawk had as many tackles as he did last year shows that he is winning that 1-on-1 battle more than his fair share.

Just got a DVR this week and can't wait to tape the Packer game tonight and really watch all of the ILB play on the Packers.

Fritz
08-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Poppinga blows goats.

Winston is just another well-liked, but overrated, black coach.

Just like Wade Phillips.

rbaloha1
08-21-2010, 09:53 AM

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Doing your job in Hawk's roll is eating a lot of blockers to let Barnett clean up behind him. That Hawk had as many tackles as he did last year shows that he is winning that 1-on-1 battle more than his fair share.

If this is true why is the position open?

Gunakor
08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Doing your job in Hawk's roll is eating a lot of blockers to let Barnett clean up behind him.

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. In Bob Sanders' defense that was his job and he was good at it. In this defense his role seems to be different. He's a run stopper, an occasional blitzer, and works in pass coverage. The beef up front should be commanding most of the blocks now.

ThunderDan
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Doing your job in Hawk's roll is eating a lot of blockers to let Barnett clean up behind him.

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. In Bob Sanders' defense that was his job and he was good at it. In this defense his role seems to be different. He's a run stopper, an occasional blitzer, and works in pass coverage. The beef up front should be commanding most of the blocks now.

In Sanders D Hawk had to control the edge behind the RE and push the play back to the middle. If the FB went wide and there was a gap to shoot Hawk had to go to the outside and engage the FB to stop the RB from being able to attack the edge.

In a 3-4 the OLB are protecting the edge and with only 3 down linemen either the G or a FB runs free to the 2nd level most of the time. The ILB that the free player comes thru has to stalemate or win that match-up. This is where you need a NG to draw the double team or the 3-4 is fucked because 2 players can get free runs to block on the 2nd level. Hawk is in the base D because he is good at getting the draw and by the number of solo tackles he had last year he won the battle a lot.

The Packers were number 1 against the run last year. It had a lot to do with Pickett commanding the double team and the other players on the D being assignment sure to close the gaps. As Wist says, I too am nervous about Raji moving to NG. That maybe his natural position but I need to see him command the double team this preseason.

retailguy
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
The Packers cut Brian Brohm and kept Flynn on the 53 in their ROOKIE years. I don't think the Packers are all too concerned about draft status. That is Bishop feeling sorry for himself and pouting. That's probably not the reality. We'll see. Bishop will leave here after this year and we'll see if he's a great player in the league. I doubt he'll even be good.

Well, considering I agree with your point, I question whether or not I should point this out. Both QB's made the team their rookie year. Brohm was put on the practice squad after his first season.

get louder at lambeau
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Poppinga blows goats.

So that makes Bush, Bigby, Poppinga, who else?

SkinBasket
08-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Poppinga blows goats.

So that makes Bush, Bigby, Poppinga, who else?

Well, that's pretty much my vote for Team Fucktard right there, which isn't surprising if you take a look at my posts over the past few years. Poppinga's become much less of a problem since his playing time has been limited by the other LBs. Noah Herron and Patrick Dendy used to fill out the rest of the roster, with Jason Hunter on the bench, but alas, we've upgraded those spots. From what I've seen of Bush this preseason, he's still the fastest guy down the field to do nothing (always the bridesmaid when it comes to tackling), and the more I don't see of Bigby, the better this season looks.

The newest candidates look like Bishop, even though I love him, and Donald Lee. But we got a couple more junk games to see the depraved depths of this roster yet before I can finalize the team.

Fritz
08-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I like it: "Team Fucktard."

Sounds like the name of Lance Armstrong's next racing team.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
So after Bishop's struggles, is there still sentiment to move him ahead of Hawk?

rbaloha1
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
So after Bishop's struggles, is there still sentiment to move him ahead of Hawk?

Bishop showed nothing to warrant starter status. However it would be nice to see Bishop play with the entire first unit.

ThunderDan
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Bishop showed nothing to warrant starter status. However it would be nice to see Bishop play with the entire first unit.

He was playing behind the starting D-Line. The running plays all should have developed exactly like they would have.

Joemailman
08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Hawk is one of those guys a lot of people don't appreciate until he isn't in there. Bishop is not close to Hawk.

Tony Oday
08-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Bishop sucks. He is a ST player and a below average LB.

Joemailman
08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't this normally be considered a penalty?

http://media.jsonline.com/images/600*585/helmet82110.jpg

Brandon494
08-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Give me a break :roll:

Lets wait until Capers stops calling up vanilla defense schemes and Bishop exactly plays with the starters before you guys start jumping on him.

ThunderDan
08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Give me a break :roll:

Lets wait until Capers stops calling up vanilla defense schemes and Bishop exactly plays with the starters before you guys start jumping on him.

So you have a guy who didn't play well in the vanilla defense and all of sudden Dom opens the playbook and he is going to get the more complicated stuff?

Bishop missed his assignments in the vanilla base D. Dom will not trust Bishop on the field.

mraynrand
08-22-2010, 02:55 PM
The Packers better get a whole lot better handing off receivers in the zone, especially up the middle, or the season is going to look like one long AZ game, regardless of whether it's Bishop or Hawk back there.

Cheesehead Craig
08-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Hawk is one of those guys a lot of people don't appreciate until he isn't in there. Bishop is not close to Hawk.
True that.

Pugger
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Wouldn't this normally be considered a penalty?

http://media.jsonline.com/images/600*585/helmet82110.jpg

I think so but I suspect no official saw it. There were quite a few helmets popping off players heads in that game.