PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers Versus Seattle?

Fritz
08-22-2010, 09:02 AM
As usual, I get better information from Packerrats than from the JSO or GBPG. Several posters last night mentioned some winners and losers, and I appreciate that. Here's what I've gleaned from their posts:

Winners:

Matt "Mike" Flynn - played well, had some nice throws, though one or two sailed. Still, people seem comfortable with him.

B-Jack - Changed his habits and looked sharp last night again. He took it up a notch this preseason and carried on with that last night.

Rodgers - 'nuff said

Finley - see above

Bulaga - I think he made one or two mistakes but the posters who saw the game said he played well.

Most of the offensive line

"James" Mason Crosby - he hit them solid and kickoffs appear good.

Losers:

Giacomini - got blasted by pretty much everyone posting on the game thread. He seems to be 2010's Allen Barbre.

Allen Barbre - he seems to be 2010's Allen Barbre.

Jarret Bush - big surprise here. Committed some penalties, got burned on ST and as a corner.

Brandon Underwood - ruh-roh, Rastro. Posters said he seemed out of position, didn't understand the defense, and generally (thank you Skin for the expression_ blew goats.

Morgan Burnett - looked like a rookie last night.

Pat Lee - did not get mentioned much, but the few mentions suggested he wasn't doing much. That's my perception at least of what was said or not said.

Desmond Bishop - Mr. August played like it was November.

Warren Moon - apparently the guy botched almost every Packer name. Gordy Nelson. Mike Flynn. Etcetera.

Winner and Loser:

Sam Shields - he can't hang on to a punt or kickoff, apparently. But he played well as a gunner and apparently played well as a CB. Posters suggested last night he could make the team as long as they don't let him near the football on a punt or kickoff.

Now, some players I'd like to hear about:

How did each punter do?

I read that Justin Harrell played. How did he look?

How bad or good did Pat Lee look? As bad as Underwood?

Mike Neal

Did Marshall Newhouse and EDS do enough to convince MM to dump Giacomini and Barbre immediately?

falco
08-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I continue to think BJ can deliver the mail on a regular basis.

Fred's Slacks
08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Losers:

Giacomini - got blasted by pretty much everyone posting on the game thread. He seems to be 2010's Allen Barbre.

More proof that this coaching staff needs proven prospects. We can't develop a project here. Time to just take that as fact and stop drafting projects (or get a OL coach who can do the job).

As for some of your other questions: Punters look pretty good. As long as the guy we end up keeping can carry it into the regular season, we will be better than last year.

Didn't notice Harrell much. Saw he got some pressure and forced a throw away outside of the pocket, but it was kind of late and look more like good coverage.

Neal made at least one impressive play. He walked a lineman back and with a little help from Zombo got a TFL. I thought he was getting some pressure as well. At this point I think he looks clearly better than Harrell.

On my own note, and maybe this is obvious but they really need to keep Sheilds away from the return game. He's not natural there but it looks like he could be a pretty good corner and gunner on specials. Let him work there excusively. I understand the intrigue of having a guy with his speed return kicks but not only does he have trouble fielding the ball, but even when he fields it clean he is not elusive and looks pedestrian as a returner. Scrap the return idea, and be happy you found a potentially good corner in UDFA.

Joemailman
08-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Did Marshall Newhouse and EDS do enough to convince MM to dump Giacomini and Barbre immediately?

No, but Giacomini and Barbre did. Neither can be counted on to protect Rodgers. Buh-bye.

Punters: Pretty sure Bryan was holding for kicks last night. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not, but Crosby had a great night. The battle might come down to who is the best holder.

Bulaga: I thought he passed Colledge last night. Not that Colledge did anything wrong, but Bulaga is a beast. Strong with good feet.

Patler
08-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Didn't notice Harrell much. Saw he got some pressure and forced a throw away outside of the pocket, but it was kind of late and look more like good coverage.

Neal made at least one impressive play. He walked a lineman back and with a little help from Zombo got a TFL. I thought he was getting some pressure as well. At this point I think he looks clearly better than Harrell.

I wasn't able to watch the game yet, but pregame reports said Harrell didn't make the trip, and was allowed to stay home with his wife and new born child.

Fred's Slacks
08-22-2010, 10:10 AM

I wasn't able to watch the game yet, but pregame reports said Harrell didn't make the trip, and was allowed to stay home with his wife and new born child.

No, he was definately there. I have it on DVR so I'd like to go back and watch him closely but the first time through, I didn't notice much from him.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Bryan has been better in practice than the other guy on holds. Not sure if that is conclusive as I suspect that if the punter is questionable for holding, Flynn probably gets the job.

Pat Lee, in two or three plays in the second half looked good. He did not get written up by the papers as having been torched by Hasselback in the first half. By inference, he might have had the better game compared to Underwood, who got torched a couple of times early.

Francois was apparently getting roughed up in the first half, but he had the nicest close I have seen in years from a Packers linebacker on a dumpoff to a RB. Now he may not have dropped deep enough and simply lucked into playing bad technique on the correct play, but he seems to have good quickness.

I think Zombo might be able to get to the QB at this level. At least enough to not allow the QB seven seconds.

On Brandon Jackson's first big run (left) after Porter got hurt, someone drove a Packer's O lineman into the backfield; from the Packer right I think. Anyone see who it was?

It was nice to see BJack have some plays, but he was a vet going against 3rd string, so temper all expectations accordingly.

Giacomini did have some better success against the 2s in the second half.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM

No, he was definately there. I have it on DVR so I'd like to go back and watch him closely but the first time through, I didn't notice much from him.
I forgot him. He played most of the second half that I saw. At least 1 1/2 quarters. He simply cannot be moved head on. Maybe laterally. And he can get to the QB on a second effort. He was hustling to the ball on some plays outside his area. He looked ... healthy. (kiss of death right there)

He would be a huge boon to the line. Physically he is different that everyone other than Pickett.

MTPackerfan
08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Bryan has been better in practice than the other guy on holds. Not sure if that is conclusive as I suspect that if the punter is questionable for holding, Flynn probably gets the job.

Pat Lee, in two or three plays in the second half looked good. He did not get written up by the papers as having been torched by Hasselback in the first half. By inference, he might have had the better game compared to Underwood, who got torched a couple of times early.

Francois was apparently getting roughed up in the first half, but he had the nicest close I have seen in years from a Packers linebacker on a dumpoff to a RB. Now he may not have dropped deep enough and simply lucked into playing bad technique on the correct play, but he seems to have good quickness.

I think Zombo might be able to get to the QB at this level. At least enough to not allow the QB seven seconds.

On Brandon Jackson's first big run (left) after Porter got hurt, someone drove a Packer's O lineman into the backfield; from the Packer right I think. Anyone see who it was?

It was nice to see BJack have some plays, but he was a vet going against 3rd string, so temper all expectations accordingly.

Pretty sure it 78 Barbre who got blow back on BJacks run.

mraynrand
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Yep. He looked awful. Bulaga even tried to help him out on a complete whiff. Barbre shouldn't be allowed to play tackle - no QB is that worthless that you can put him at risk like that - except maybe Jerry Babb.

RashanGary
08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I love how Rodgers is playing this preseason. Go watch the highlights the last couple weeks. Everything he does, he does with confidence. The way he drops back is picture perfect. It could be Tom Brady, Joe Montana or Aaron Rodgers. Same every time. The way he stands in the pocket, the confidence, it's like everything is happening in slow motion. When he escapes the pocket or roles he's athletic but calm as hell still looking down field. His release is extremely quick. When he decides to unload the ball, it's instantly gone. His arm strength is excellent. His decision making has been shockingly quick and it's not that he's just getting rid of it, they're getting out quick and getting right where they need to be. The chemistry with the receivers. . . Everybody is expecting the ball, nobodies dropping it. He's leading guys so they catch it in stride. He's throwing behind a guy to help him avoid the hit from an on coming safety.

All across Rodgers game, there is comfort, confidence and detail. Rodgers is in the top 5 for MVP odds this year. The way he's playing, it reminds me of Manning shredding our defense a few years ago or Drew Brees I think it was 2 years ago. . . . His throws, his decision making, his athletic ability. . . He's an elite NFL superstar and he's about to break out. That's the best part, as good as he's been, he's about to break out.

Every team that wins the SB needs to be pretty healthy. We're one of the elite SB front runners this year and it starts with our greatest player and maybe the guy playing the best football in the entire NFL, Aaron Rodgers.

4,900 yards
41 TD's

That's my prediction. MVP

pbmax
08-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Yep. He looked awful. Bulaga even tried to help him out on a complete whiff. Barbre shouldn't be allowed to play tackle - no QB is that worthless that you can put him at risk like that - except maybe Jerry Babb.
I saw Barbre get plowed when he was at Left Guard. But I did not see him on the right side. But I couldn't catch the number, so it may be a lost cause.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I think the 2nd preseason game is a little early for MVP talk. Rodgers looked lights out last preseason as well, and then could not sync with his line for 8 games out of the chute. Its early, but it does look promising.

Tony Oday
08-22-2010, 11:23 AM

T.J. Rubly

red
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM

that was beyond pathetic. i don't even think barbre touched the guy. it also led to a sack and fumble

Pugger
08-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I pray Barbre is never out on the field protecting Rodgers at any time this season if the poor fool somehow makes the roster.

falco
08-22-2010, 11:46 AM

This. One thing I took away from the game last night is that Zombo has a shot to be a starter someday. My money is on him making the team.

Fritz
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the info!

Stick a fork in Barbe. Wow.

Harrell - please stay healthy. but none of us is holding his or her breath, I don't think. Still, we can hope.

So did Bryan punt well last night? Sounds like he's a better holder, but from what I read in the JSO Masthay has better distance and hang time - slightly.

Which one is less likely to shank a punt?

imscott72
08-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Next week will be a great test for Aaron and the offense. B Jax looked like a beast as did Finley. Mason looks like he fixed his issues. I didn't hear Harrell's name much at all last night, and I don't know whether that's good or bad at this point. Shields has loads of potential, it's just a shame he can't catch. Underwood was dreadful and Burnett shaky at best. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the secondary, especially if Harris ends up on the PUP and/or Woodson goes down. Thursday's game will be a good test for everyone and give us an idea what we're looking at for this year.

I forgot to touch base on the punting. Neither guy really stood out, but Jon Ryan did and he gave the Packer bench quite a glare after the 2nd of his two fantastic pooch punts that he dropped near the 1 yard line. I'd sure like him back at this point.

SkinBasket
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Losers: Football fans.

Well, most of you are losers anyway, but kneeling out the last 2 minutes of a preseason game? For fuck's sake, lets get some film on these kids.

Lurker64
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
The knock on Underwood early was that he was really having trouble getting to the right depth in his zone drops. You'd see him playing like five yards off of the receiver in his zone, which lead to easy completions. It got better as the game wore on though.

Brando19
08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info!

Harrell - please stay healthy. but none of us is holding his or her breath, I don't think. Still, we can hope.

So did Bryan punt well last night? Sounds like he's a better holder, but from what I read in the JSO Masthay has better distance and hang time - slightly.

Have you been watching this offense? My prediction...we don't keep a punter. :lol:
This offense scores everytime they touch the ball this season. Punting debate....ENDED.

denverYooper
08-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info!

Have you been watching this offense? My prediction...we don't keep a punter. :lol:
This offense scores everytime they touch the ball this season. Punting debate....ENDED.

Havner could probably punt in a pinch.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info!

He also should be the punt and kickoff returner. And it goes without saying, Wildcat and emergency QB.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 01:19 PM
What were the punting stats? I can't find them on JSO or Press Gazette. Were they in the live blogs?

Tony Oday
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Matt Flynn for punter!!!

Brandon494
08-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Don't see how you can put Matt Fylnn as a winner when he goes 10-20 with an INT.

Lurker64
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't see how you can put Matt Fylnn as a winner when he goes 10-20 with an INT.

Last couple preseason games, Flynn actually played better than his stat line would suggest. A certain amount of a quarterback's success hinges on who he's actually got playing around him. Having Breno Giacomini blocking for you and Jason Chery attempt to catch your passes isn't going to help any NFL QB.

Brandon494
08-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Last couple preseason games, Flynn actually played better than his stat line would suggest. A certain amount of a quarterback's success hinges on who he's actually got playing around him. Having Breno Giacomini blocking for you and Jason Chery attempt to catch your passes isn't going to help any NFL QB.

I watched the game and he did no impress at all. Atleast 2 of his passes should have been picked off and that pass to Cherry was behind him. He will never be a starting QB in this league and you can quote me on that.

bobblehead
08-22-2010, 01:43 PM

I watched the game and he did no impress at all. Atleast 2 of his passes should have been picked off and that pass to Cherry was behind him. He will never be a starting QB in this league and you can quote me on that.

I half agree with you. He will never start in the NFL, but many backups are in that category. I'm as comfortable with him being the backup as I am anyone else we could have had.

On another note we can cut Babre this week and get others some reps....wow this guy can't play ANY position.

ThunderDan
08-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I am just rewatching the game this afternoon and I am impressed with Scott Wells game this week. He took on the DTs 1 on 1 with minimal help from the G and moved his man numerous times. For a guy I assume is an average center in the league he does a lot of stuff very well.

Brohm
08-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Harrell held his own pretty good. Consistently double-teamed and handled it well. Got some pressure at times. Shed the double team when Whitehurst was flushed and forced the throw. As long as the back holds out (or the coaches believes it will hold out) he will be in the rotation.

ThunderDan
08-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Flynn was 7/10 for 92 yards with the 2s. After they started 2s and 3s in the 2nd half he was 3/10 with an INT.

mraynrand
08-22-2010, 02:45 PM
What is with the curse of Packer punters (and teams?) Two GMs and two punters that rub our noses in it for at least a decade. First Wolf lets Craig Hentrich go, and Thompson tried to outdo him by letting Ryan bolt. Just because the guy struggled in that absurd game in Chicago. And I won't even mention Rossum (oops). Don't these guys remember how important special teams are? You would think they completely forgot about 1996 and how special teams completely determined the outcome of a Divisional game, and iced the Superbowl.

Losers: people who forget the importance of special teams.

mission
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Flynn was 7/10 for 92 yards with the 2s. After they started 2s and 3s in the 2nd half he was 3/10 with an INT.

Flynn could do just fine with our 1s. I got a sense last night that he was outplaying the guys he was playing with. There were a couple nice plays in there but for the most part, the WRs, were comical in traffic, got no separation and showed no ball skills.

Almost felt sorry for him a couple times.

CaptainKickass
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info!

He also should be the punt and kickoff returner. And it goes without saying, Wildcat and emergency QB.

Frankenbacker deserves not only his own thread, but has shown his value to this team. Who's the last Packer you remember that not only played offense, defense, AND special teams, but did a convincing job? No way he doesn't make the team.

I'm on the record as disliking Jarrett Bush - and that dude needs to be cut last year. Or the year before.

I hope all this "we're playing vanilla Defense" is true. If we keep getting torched in the secondary, could be a season of shootouts. Hell - the way the NFL rules are - it'll probably be a season of shootouts for most teams with a formidable passing offense.

gbgary
08-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Flynn could do just fine with our 1s. I got a sense last night that he was outplaying the guys he was playing with. There were a couple nice plays in there but for the most part, the WRs, were comical in traffic, got no separation and showed no ball skills.

Almost felt sorry for him a couple times.

he had his moments. with the #1s he might be able to hold the fort a game or two if the unthinkable happens.

pbmax
08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
What is with the curse of Packer punters (and teams?) Two GMs and two punters that rub our noses in it for at least a decade. First Wolf lets Craig Hentrich go, and Thompson tried to outdo him by letting Ryan bolt. Just because the guy struggled in that absurd game in Chicago. And I won't even mention Rossum (oops). Don't these guys remember how important special teams are? You would think they completely forgot about 1996 and how special teams completely determined the outcome of a Divisional game, and iced the Superbowl.

Losers: people who forget the importance of special teams.
Don't forget Josh Bidwell living well in Tampa for several years.

rbaloha1
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
As usual, I get better information from Packerrats than from the JSO or GBPG. Several posters last night mentioned some winners and losers, and I appreciate that. Here's what I've gleaned from their posts:

Winners:

Matt "Mike" Flynn - played well, had some nice throws, though one or two sailed. Still, people seem comfortable with him.

Somewhat agree. Not at Hasselbeck, Brunell and Brooks status as Favre backups but getting there. Premature to label as the best qb backup.

B-Jack - Changed his habits and looked sharp last night again. He took it up a notch this preseason and carried on with that last night.

Agreed

Rodgers - 'nuff said

noted.

Finley - see above

noted
Bulaga - I think he made one or two mistakes but the posters who saw the game said he played well.

agreed.

Most of the offensive line

yes

"James" Mason Crosby - he hit them solid and kickoffs appear good.

yes.
Losers:

Still makes the roster.

gone.

Jarret Bush - big surprise here. Committed some penalties, got burned on ST and as a corner.

improving. the young dudes are still confused out there. bush probably makes the team.

Brandon Underwood - ruh-roh, Rastro. Posters said he seemed out of position, didn't understand the defense, and generally (thank you Skin for the expression_ blew goats.

Not ready as a nickel

Morgan Burnett - looked like a rookie last night.

Disagree. Playing well enough to keep starting position. The light shall go on soon.

Pat Lee - did not get mentioned much, but the few mentions suggested he wasn't doing much. That's my perception at least of what was said or not said.

Mixed results. Looks more comfortable than Underwood.

Desmond Bishop - Mr. August played like it was November.

An unremarkable performance that does not place him in position to overtake Hawk. Keep quiet and play.

Warren Moon - apparently the guy botched almost every Packer name. Gordy Nelson. Mike Flynn. Etcetera.

Winner and Loser:

Sam Shields - he can't hang on to a punt or kickoff, apparently. But he played well as a gunner and apparently played well as a CB. Posters suggested last night he could make the team as long as they don't let him near the football on a punt or kickoff.

Finished as a returner. Poor ball awareness when the ball is in the air during passes over his head.

Now, some players I'd like to hear about:

How did each punter do?

I read that Justin Harrell played. How did he look?

How bad or good did Pat Lee look? As bad as Underwood?

Mike Neal

Newhouse bends knees well and could be the lt of the future. Built more like a guard but is playing well at lt. Nice pick.

ThunderDan
08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Newhouse bends knees well and could be the lt of the future. Built more like a guard but is playing well at lt. Nice pick.

I totally agree. The 3rd string line looked good other than Barbre and Breno.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM

I guess I don't understand this. Up until the game, all reports had Masthay being vastly superior on holds. Every kick, you'd read that Crosby missed one but that Bryan was the holder. Like he was such a shitty holder, that it was to be expected.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2010, 12:08 AM

I agree. He looked solid when Swain and Nelson were in there. He dropped off when the no name receivers came in.

pbmax
08-23-2010, 12:28 AM

I guess I don't understand this. Up until the game, all reports had Masthay being vastly superior on holds. Every kick, you'd read that Crosby missed one but that Bryan was the holder. Like he was such a shitty holder, that it was to be expected.
Slocum refused to get drawn into what it meant, though the reports said that Bryan had been holding more often in practice as well. It would seem to be a test if its happening in practice as well. I also remember that Masthay had the edge in the hold department earlier due to his experience with American football.

sharpe1027
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Barbre is gone. They tried him at just about every position on the line and he messed up across the board.

Pugger
08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Barbre is gone. They tried him at just about every position on the line and he messed up across the board.

We can only hope...

Smidgeon
08-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Harrell held his own pretty good. Consistently double-teamed and handled it well. Got some pressure at times. Shed the double team when Whitehurst was flushed and forced the throw. As long as the back holds out (or the coaches believes it will hold out) he will be in the rotation.

I didn't see the game, but I believe you. Which is funny because the JS just printed a story on how bad Harrell played in that game. Interesting what they write for a sound byte.

Brohm
08-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Bit shocked when I read that, but of course I'm no NFL scout :oops: :lol: At any rate, for a guy that is coming off the injuries he has had and was being written off by the press, I thought he hung in there well. He wasn't blown back 5 yards downfield in the run, was consistantly double-teamed, and still got a little pressure. Seemed like he was doing his job. Of course if they were looking for a Haynesworth rip your head style of play, I'm not sure he'd be their guy :P

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
In spite of his inability to get on the field so far in his NFL, Justin Harrell is very good at stacking blockers, shifting, and flowing to the ball; he does it instinctively in a way that young guys like Neal don't yet. He doesn't seem to provide much of anything in the pass rush, but he's an effective run defender. If he could push NFL lineman back a little more, and his back holds up, he could be very effective in the rotation.

Fritz
08-24-2010, 06:37 AM
That Harrell article was a mystery to me. A few posters here and a friend of mine who watched the game said that Harrell played acceptably. He wasn't great, but he held up. Now we get this JSO article that says Harrell was awful. And some of the quotes from Harrell seem to support that (was he just trying not to create a stink by defending himself? Being humble? Telling the truth?)

I are confused.

I also agree with Harv - early on it was said that Bryan's downfall was that he wasn't as good a holder as Masthay. Now he's better? Did he improve that much that quickly?

One more note - Zombo. There are always those "camp guys" that fans fall in love with and they don't often turn out as much. This year it has been Shields and then Quinn Porter. But apparently Zombo has impressed at least Kevin Greene. So is this guy an NFL starter or just a guy?

falco
08-24-2010, 07:22 AM
NFL starter

Patler
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
That Harrell article was a mystery to me. A few posters here and a friend of mine who watched the game said that Harrell played acceptably. He wasn't great, but he held up. Now we get this JSO article that says Harrell was awful. And some of the quotes from Harrell seem to support that (was he just trying not to create a stink by defending himself? Being humble? Telling the truth?)

I are confused.

Again, an article apparently written to enforce a point of view that is perhaps not justified by the events that accured. For example, he writes:

...Harrell ... had a hurry on another snap in which he showed absolutely no acceleration to backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst.

or, he could have written that Harrell got in Whitehursts face in the open field, with his hands up, forcing Whitehurst to throw the ball away out of bounds on third down, which is in fact what happened. It was a nice play by Harrell. I just re-watched it after reading the article.

I re-watched all his snaps. I don't think he played that poorly. He was cut once by a second player while he was engaged with a first, went down another time when he was disengaging from a first player and a second player hit him in the back, and was thrown down when the lineman grabbed and twisted his shoulder pads. A couple times he was down around the feet of a ball carrier, but it was hard to see what his involvement was.

Smidgeon
08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I can't help but pull for Harrell when I see the media trying to take him down. He seems like a truly humble guy with top football instincts. Hopefully the back holds up.