PDA

View Full Version : Sara White finds peace without Reggie -

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Posted August 3, 2006

Sara White finds peace without Reggie

Family and friends doubt that Reggie’s legacy will be marred by the past controversy.

“All I know for sure is the way I’ll remember my dad,” says Jecolia. “He will always be the greatest man I’ve ever known, a wonderful father, a minister who did a lot more than just talk the talk, an extremely talented football player ... He always strived to make things better.”

A decade ago, Reggie brought attention to a rash of church burnings that included his own in Knoxville, Tenn. He built a home for unwed mothers. He established the Urban Hope Entrepreneur Center, an entity that still exists in Green Bay and has taught hundreds with courses designed to build businesses.

Sara, still president of the board for Urban Hope, says there are plans to expand.

She is mulling other pursuits that exemplify the type of causes Reggie was committed to, such as establishing a fund to aid the most needy NFL retirees.

“My goal is to find some of the older guys and support them monthly,” she says. “Some people give you $2,000, and that’s it. I want to find 10 guys who really need it and facilitate monthly checks to them.”

Sara sounds a lot like Reggie, a visionary who lived to pursue big dreams.

We had him - for OUR last link to GLORY in the NFL.

Dedicated here to Reggie White's wife - Sara. woodbuck27

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Had to post the story as the link wouldn't work as I found it . Sorry Packer fans and Rastak. :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
08-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Sara White found a piece? Good for her ... it's healthy to move on.

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Soooo, how come PackerRats doesn't have a link on that PackerPalace list? We're way cooler than those other sites!

Scott Campbell
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
DOCUMENTING REGGIE'S LIFE

When Sara White went to the Pro Bowl in February to represent her late husband, Reggie, as part of the newest Pro Football Hall of Fame class, she took a film crew with her.

Sara has been working on a documentary, The Minister of Defense: The Reggie White Story. She interviewed current and former players and coaches in compiling a video scrapbook.

"It's amazing what I've learned about my husband that I never knew," she says.

A 20-minute media preview will be shown Sunday at the Hall of Fame Theatre, with the complete product slated for DVD release in September. Proceeds from the film (available through www.Reggie92.com) benefit Straight From The Heart Ministries.

Sara conducted all of the interviews, including a 12-hour day in Philadelphia filming several of Reggie's teammates and coaches from the Eagles.

"She ran with this from the heart," says Jennifer Smith, one of the film's producers. "It could be part of the healing process."

Smith says the most intense session was with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Steve Young, whose sobbing triggered Sara's tears.

"I don't know anyone who would have been able to carry on with the attitude that she has," Smith says. "I could not be the woman she is. Sara's strength is remarkable.

"I feel pain because we lost Reggie, but I also mourn the loss of the relationship they had."

-- Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY

Scott Campbell
08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Did Steve Young ever play with Reggie?

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Maybe he was remembering a particularly brutal sack. Did Reggie ever give him a concussion?

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Sara has always found peace with credit cards

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I saw the expanded article in USA Today. I thought it was interesting that Reggie was suing the NFL over salary caps. And that the charity opened in GB is doing so well that Sara White may expand the number of locations.

Its gonna be great for the family to get through this weekend - I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have your father brought up every 5 minutes leading up to the HOF induction.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I saw the expanded article in USA Today. I thought it was interesting that Reggie was suing the NFL over salary caps. And that the charity opened in GB is doing so well that Sara White may expand the number of locations.

Its gonna be great for the family to get through this weekend - I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have your father brought up every 5 minutes leading up to the HOF induction.

Life is HARD. Sometimes - it just plain SUCKS !!