PDA

View Full Version : McGinn on John Schneider

pbmax
08-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Bob McGinn-JSOnline-Aug 21, 2010 (http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/101238989.html)

I like Bob. But he has developed a serious tic when it comes to Ron Wolf, especially comparison's to Wolf, which to his mind, shed unfavorable light on Thompson. In an otherwise decent piece on Schneider's first 8 months with the Seahawks, McGinn unleashes these groaners:

1. Indirect praise of the trade for Charlie Whitehurst. I have read that Schneider liked him in college and Carroll liked the preseason film, but even if he was the best choice over the remaining QBs at the Seahawks draft slot, the league and the Chargers feel that someone overpaid for him.

In a piece that assumes Schneider loves the draft like Wolf and Thompson, he sent two picks to the Chargers before the Chargers ever gave them their price. If this was Schneider's deal, it wasn't done cleanly.

2. He rolls out a line that Thompson doesn't even seem to like players that have ever been on other team's rosters or training camps. Off the top of my head: Martin, Harrell (QB), Grant, Lee, Anthony Smith, John Kuhn, Brandon Chillar, one of his punters, Bigby, Peprah. And that doesn't even include Woodson or Pickett.

Perhaps Bob or his editors didn't have time or space to elucidate where the Packers stood in the league in developing your own versus signings from other teams. There is no context given. Neither is there a mention that Schneider might do things differently in year six versus year one. Or the slightly different salary cap situations (you know, like the fact that there is no cap this year, and potential FAs were suddenly 4th and 5th year RFAs).

3. McGinn praises Wolf and Schneider for keeping a revolving door policy for player acquisition, indicating that players that feel uncertain will play better. I think Bob whiffed like Reggie Jackson here. The vast majority of movement was at the bottom of the roster for all three men, unless you only count their first year. Not only do I doubt that Thompson's roster has been more stable at the bottom that Scheider or Wolf's, I doubt that the revolving door actually produces results.

You might find a diamond in the rough, but mostly you are seeking to fill holes. That revolving door is more a hallmark of bad team than the mark of personnel genius. Jimmy Johnson had one when he was 1-15. Belicheck had one in his first and second season.

mraynrand
08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Good analysis of the article. Since it's just one year and there are a lot of differences in the league and in the Seattle situation, the article would have been better written to just compare styles without the undercurrent of criticism. Schneider wasn't 'shackled,' in GB, he just wasn't in charge. That's why he went out to be the GM elsewhere.

Liked this line though:

"Mike Sherman almost caused a revolt on his scouting staff because as years went on he tried to do even more of the work all by himself."

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

Patler
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
The article mentions the activity of Wolf in his early years in GB and Schneider this year, and seems to compare that to Thompson's inclinations now, not Thompson in his early years in GB.

In 2005, before the start of camp, TT signed something like 40+ free agents, including veterans like Arturo Freeman, Earl Little, Matt O'Dwyer, Ray Thompson, who had lots of experience, including lots of starting experience at other places. After the final cutdown and during the season he signed many more, like Donald Lee, Todd Franz, Samkon Gado, Taco Wallace, Ruvell Martin, Noah Herron, Rod Gardner and others who had experience with other teams, some a little and some a lot.

In 2006 he signed experienced players like Kendrick Allen, Tracy White, Marquand Manuel, and Koren Robinson, and guys with lesser experience but years in the league like Mookie Moore, Tyson Walter and Carlyle Holiday; and guys off other cut lists like Bush, Peprah, Palmer, Bigby, Williams; etc.

As the years progressed and the roster improved, there have been fewer, but still a few like Kuhn, Havner, Martin, Toribio, etc. that have previous experience on other teams, even if not on their active rosters.

Through out his time in GB, TT has brought in a couple players almost every week through the season for workouts, tends to move players on and off the practice squad based on those workouts, and then elevates them to the 53 man roster off the practice squad as needed.

Maybe Thompson had enough of suggestions like Allen, Gardner, Thompson, etc. who provided little.