PDA

View Full Version : Any guesses on a Packer trade before the season starts?

Spaulding
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
In a fantasy world we'd ship Colledge and Bishop along with a first rounder to the Jets for Revis and lock him up him long term with high amount of upfront money (since it's uncapped this year) and then incentive laden in later years to keep him hungry.

Figure the Jets need a LG (replacement for Faneca), could use a solid backup for Harris or Scott and might be okay with a starter, depth and still a #1.

Not sure how a huge contract to Revis would sit chemistry-wise with the team but having CB depth of Woodson and Revis with Harris and Williams at nickel and dime would be downright awesome.

In the world of reality, if Buluga wins the starting LG position and Spitz is healthy, then we'd be able to slip Buluga over to LT if Clifton went down and slot Spitz at LG and thus Colledge would be expendable.

Would love to see us ship him for either an OLB to compete with Jones or a safety to add depth as Bigby is a PUP candidate and already in the McCarthy doghouse for his offseaon handling and I'm not sold on Blackmon (health and new position) or Peprah (JAG) as backups to Burnett or Collins.

mission
08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
In a fantasy world we'd ship Colledge and Bishop along with a first rounder to the Jets for Revis and lock him up him long term with high amount of upfront money (since it's uncapped this year) and then incentive laden in later years to keep him hungry.

They call that "rosterbation" on the Braves forum I frequent :D

(I'd love it btw)

swede
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM

They call that "rosterbation" on the Braves forum I frequent :D

(I'd love it btw)

Heh heh

It captures the ineffective harmlessness of the self-gratifying exercise in futility. Why not? It's not like you'll grow hair on your keyboard.

Brandon494
08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
We aren't making any trades, dont even get your hopes up.

RashanGary
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm hoping for a nickle/dime back. Underwood is garbage.

Tony Oday
08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
I would imagine we make some trades, pick up some 7th and 6th round picks for next year and maybe a serviceable CB.

vince
08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I could see Donald Lee being moved for next to nothing.

pack4to84
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
There got to be a lot of teams watching the Packers since we are Super Favorites by the media. I think some teams are drooling over our cast offs that are coming. Their watching the battles between:
DL Harrel, Toribio, Wilson or Wynn
TE watching Lee or Crabtree
CB Bush or Shields
OL Barbre, Smith, Colledge,Giacomini, Spitz, McDonald
P Bryan or Masthay

Patler
08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
We aren't making any trades, dont even get your hopes up.

Why not? TT has been fairly consistent in making trades at the end of training camp. He has done it almost every year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Why not? TT has been fairly consistent in making trades at the end of training camp. He has done it almost every year.

Ryan Grant, for example

Tony Oday
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Could we get rid of Bishop? I am sure there is a bag of footballs we could get

Patler
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Ryan Grant, for example

Yup, Grant for a pick in '07 and:

Steve Morley for a draft pick and Chris Johnson for Robert Thomas in 2005.
Fontenot for Brewster and Morency for Gado in 2006.
Moll for Martin in 2009.

He could have several available to trade this year.

Brandon494
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Could we get rid of Bishop? I am sure there is a bag of footballs we could get :roll:

Brandon494
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Ryan Grant, for example

Yup, Grant for a pick in '07 and:

Steve Morley for a draft pick and Chris Johnson for Robert Thomas in 2005.
Fontenot for Brewster and Morency for Gado in 2006.
Moll for Martin in 2009.

He could have several available to trade this year.

Could be right but I don't see it happening.

Tony Oday
08-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Could we get rid of Bishop? I am sure there is a bag of footballs we could get :roll:

:twisted:

Just messing with your Bishop Man Crush :)

Patler
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Could we get rid of Bishop? I am sure there is a bag of footballs we could get

I don't see Bishop as very likely, unless they get a linebacker for him. You have to have SOMEBODY, and who would they keep instead of Bishop?

On the other hand, I could see Colledge or Spitz traded, and if someone was desperate for a lineman who could at least lineup and play, Barbre, Dietrich-Smith or Giacomini could be traded. At any rate, I don't see all 5 being kept, with Newhouse available, too. They seem to have 6 keepers for sure in CLifton, Bulaga, Wells, sitton, Tauscher and Lang. Any combination of 3 of the other 5 would fill the Packers roster need.

Then at FB and TE, two could be potential low level trades like he has done in the past.

Patler
08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Why not? Somebody out there must be willing to part with a 7th round pick, or one of their failures for one of the Packers' extra O-line, FB or TEs.

Brandon494
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Why not? Somebody out there must be willing to part with a 7th round pick, or one of their failures for one of the Packers' extra O-line, FB or TEs.

I don't see us getting rid of Colledge or Spitz. As for the rest why would they trade us a draft pick when they could just sign them after we release them? Then again I was surprised when we actually got something for Moll so you never know.

Brandon494
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM

:twisted:

Just messing with your Bishop Man Crush :)

Dont be talking about my man :lol:

But I would take a bag of footballs for Barbe.

sharpe1027
08-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't see us getting rid of Colledge or Spitz. As for the rest why would they trade us a draft pick when they could just sign them after we release them? Then again I was surprised when we actually got something for Moll so you never know.

Yeah, that is the problem. However, the only way to be sure that some other team won't sign the player instead is to swing a trade. If it is a conditional late round pick or they're just swapping two guys that would have otherwise been released, there's not a whole lot of risk involved.

Lurker64
08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I would actually be surprised if Thompson doesn't swing a trade at the end of roster cut downs. It's really a very simple process. If a team has significant depth at a position, they make calls to other teams (particularly teams that are deep at positions that the original team is not deep at) and shop around some of the better guys they're going to cut and some of the guys they weren't going to cut or some of the guys that they weren't going to cut but aren't much better than some of the guys they were going to.

I expect TT to get an LB and/or an RB towards the deadline, likely both players we've never heard of.

Fritz
08-23-2010, 05:00 PM
I saw an article this morning in the JSO I think, suggesting Spitz might be auditioning for another team as he plays in this camp.

Me, I don't see the value of trading him and keeping Colledge. Colledge appears capable of playing only one position, and if Bulaga beats him out, as he well might, then Colledge is a limited backup. On the other hand, Spitz I think can back up at three positions - the interior spots.

I think the surprise on the line might be that they keep EDS. He apparently is a special teams God, so in addition to backing up Wells he's got value there. Does he play guard, too?

Giacomini will probably just be cut - he seems less serviceable than Moll. Ditto Barbre.

A little light at linebacker - some help there. Depending on Blackmon's health & ability to play safety, and Bigby's health, maybe safety help?

sharpe1027
08-23-2010, 05:35 PM
A little light at linebacker - some help there. Depending on Blackmon's health & ability to play safety, and Bigby's health, maybe safety help?

Perhaps a DB or RB that shows any shred of return ability, or at least sure hands, would interest them.

Anyone know the extent of Stark's injury? Is it possible that he comes back and fills the KR role?

Fritz
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't know the news but from what Iunderstand Coach Mac is unhappy that the guy is completely unavailable. I don't see him even getting a chance now. My guess is they'll just shelve him for the year.

I do agree though that a RB or especially a serviceable DB who has punt and kick return ability would be of interest

Patler
08-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I saw an article this morning in the JSO I think, suggesting Spitz might be auditioning for another team as he plays in this camp.

Me, I don't see the value of trading him and keeping Colledge. Colledge appears capable of playing only one position, and if Bulaga beats him out, as he well might, then Colledge is a limited backup. On the other hand, Spitz I think can back up at three positions - the interior spots.

They ran the same article last year, but about Wells instead of Spitz. Guess what? TT kept him, and good thing he did. I suspect he will keep Spitz too, for the reasons you gave, and because Wells hasn't been that reliable health wise either.

Spaulding
08-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Wonder if the fact that the Giants desperately need to shore up their TE position due to injuries, that we end up shipping one of our TE's to them for a late round draft choice or one of their DL's (Cofield?).

Could see Lee fetching a 6th or a player or Crabtree fetching a conditional 7th.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Wonder if the fact that the Giants desperately need to shore up their TE position due to injuries, that we end up shipping one of our TE's to them for a late round draft choice or one of their DL's (Cofield?).

Could see Lee fetching a 6th or a player or Crabtree fetching a conditional 7th.

Giants always seem to have extra RBs.

VermontPackFan
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Not a trade, but I can see us bringing in Ad.(spelling) Thomas in for a workout within the next two weeks.
Rush outside linebackers are like gold, I cant see us being able to trade for a starter. More than likely we would be taking a flyer on another teams castoff or young gun who was a last minute cut.