PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Rice has hip surgery....out at least half the season!

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 09:34 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/24/report-sidney-rice-could-undergo-hip-surgery/

Story says he may have surgery, on NFL radio they said its already done.

Just heard on NFL Radio that Rice is out half the season after hip surgery, reported by Judd Zulgad or watever his name is. Peter King and Ross Tucker were saying #4 likely does not come back if this was out two weeks ago. Interesting....

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/101376184.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKU7DYaG EP7vDEh7P:DiUs

He had it done. No Rice + Harvin's migranes = WR nightmare for the Vikings. I don't know about you all, but Shiancoe's value just skyrocketed for me in fantasy football.

mission
08-24-2010, 09:57 AM
At least they will have Javon to pick up all the slack. :lol:

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I am a little biased, but this is a huge blow considering the early season schedule they have is really tough.

mission
08-24-2010, 10:19 AM
You gotta think they knew about this already but didn't want it to happen until Brett made a commitment to coming back. That's very much within the Childress realm of coaching probability.

They caught some lightning in a bottle for most of last season and I can't help but think it's going to be the exact opposite this year. I'll hopefully get to enjoy following every moment of it. :D

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
You gotta think they knew about this already but didn't want it to happen until Brett made a commitment to coming back. That's very much within the Childress realm of coaching probability.

They caught some lightning in a bottle for most of last season and I can't help but think it's going to be the exact opposite this year. I'll hopefully get to enjoy following every moment of it. :D

I could not agree with you more. And I hope we are right.

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Hip surgery doesn't sound like something that a player comes raging back from at 100% as soon as the rehab is over, does it? Sounds like something that could hold him back for a full year to me. But I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either. And no, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

Merlin
08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I am not sure they did themselves any favors by signing Javon Walker. He would be the come back player of the year if he puts up the numbers he did in 2004 and I don't think that's going to happen.

RashanGary
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
To the Favre fans, Favre made Rice what he was last year anyway. He should be able to do it again with whoever they throw out there. No excuses.

RashanGary
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Barrian
Shiancoe
Harvin
Peterson

That's still a decent group. Rice was their superstar pass catcher though and Favre relies heavily on throwing to his best guys in tightly covered spaces. Harvin isn't that type of player as far as I can tell. He's dangerous, but not that, "catch it in traffic" type that Favre loves. Barrian definitely isn't that type. Shiancoe a little, but he's not a dynamite weapon.

This definitely hurts the Vikings. Hopefully Jenkins and Bulaga come back and we have a really healthy run. Would love to take the North this year.

RashanGary
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd say Adrian Peterson's value just went up too. No Chester and now no Sydney Rice. He's their true bell cow at RB and now he's not competing with Rice for TD's. He should get more.

I'd put Peterson back at #2 overall in fantasy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I'd say Adrian Peterson's value just went up too. No Chester and now no Sydney Rice. He's their true bell cow at RB and now he's not competing with Rice for TD's. He should get more.

I had him at #1 before this injury. Even though I drafted Chris Johnson with the second pick in my recent draft, I was hoping the guy drafting first would take Johnson. Just have a feeling he's going to break down.

mraynrand
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM

So far Toby Gerhart has run for 34 yards on 12 carries - 22 came on a single run. Ouch. Are they counting on him to replace Taylor right away? (he's has 4 receptions for 15 yards) BTW, Garrett Mills seems to be getting most of the attention from Sage...

mngolf19
08-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Hip surgery doesn't sound like something that a player comes raging back from at 100% as soon as the rehab is over, does it? Sounds like something that could hold him back for a full year to me. But I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either. And no, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

I don't know either but they did say he was riding the stationary bike later that evening after his surgery.

mission
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't know either but they did say he was riding the stationary bike later that evening after his surgery.

They said he was riding it "with some help". Ive never heard "With some help" in the same sentence as riding a stationary bike. Maybe it's the same miraculous recovery that had Chipper Jones limping around in the dugout the day after his ACL surgery. Meaning: absolutely nothing.

mngolf19
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I expect it will mean more running game. And will put more pressure on AP to not fumble. Gerhart will be fine as a change of pace and breather for AP. I expect Favre to make all the JAGs at WR left to look better than they are but they'll still become a more run oriented team for the first half season anyway. If Rice comes back fine in week 9 then I'll say they win all 8 remaining games and that gives them probably a 11 wins. So it may be a tough start for MN.

mngolf19
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM

They said he was riding it "with some help". Ive never heard "With some help" in the same sentence as riding a stationary bike. Maybe it's the same miraculous recovery that had Chipper Jones limping around in the dugout the day after his ACL surgery. Meaning: absolutely nothing.

It means they're making sure the joint remains mobile and he retains as much flexibility and muscle as possible. He probably has a hard time pedaling on his own but all good Ortho's want you to move your joints as soon as you can stand to after surgery. I was walking the day of my ACL surgery.

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Maybe that means he sat on the bike while Childress knelt next to it, moving the pedals with his hands and saying, "Cmon, Sidney, you can do it! Pretty please! Just TRY to pedal. Oh God, Brett's gonna have my head for this. PLE-HEE-HEASE!"

Tony Oday
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Wow BIG blow to the Vikings. Benefit to the Pack because we play them week 6.

mission
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM

It means they're making sure the joint remains mobile and he retains as much flexibility and muscle as possible. He probably has a hard time pedaling on his own but all good Ortho's want you to move your joints as soon as you can stand to after surgery. I was walking the day of my ACL surgery.

I was being a bit sarcastic realizing that forced motion is part of the rehabilitation and the report that he was riding a bike in no way should be construed as "he's ahead of schedule, (Brett, don't worry and please don't re-retire)"

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I expect it will mean more running game. And will put more pressure on AP to not fumble. Gerhart will be fine as a change of pace and breather for AP. I expect Favre to make all the JAGs at WR left to look better than they are but they'll still become a more run oriented team for the first half season anyway. If Rice comes back fine in week 9 then I'll say they win all 8 remaining games and that gives them probably a 11 wins. So it may be a tough start for MN.

confident that old man river doesn't falter down the stretch like last year i see

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 12:29 PM

confident that old man river doesn't falter down the stretch like last year i see

It's the preseason. Everybody is undefeated, and so everybody gets to hope. Those first eight games for Minnesota though are a pretty murderous start if the team doesn't hit the ground running.

hoosier
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM

By "change of pace" you mean going from running fast and angry to running slow and high? I haven't seen him play but everything I have read on Gerhardt this summer has described his performance as not adequate. What, other than homerism, makes you think he's going to be a good complement?

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM

By "change of pace" you mean going from running fast and angry to running slow and high? I haven't seen him play but everything I have read on Gerhardt this summer has described his performance as not adequate. What, other than homerism, makes you think he's going to be a good complement?

I understand that the biggest drop off is the pass blocking, Favre may be hamburger by the time Rice is back.

RashanGary
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
This is a big punch in Minnesota's bag. To all of the good, decent Viking fans, ignore this, but I'm really happy that this happened to Brett and Chilly. It couldn't happen to two slipperier snakes.

Oh Bert, how the manipulation and deceit catches up. . . .

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
This is a big punch in Minnesota's bag. To all of the good, decent Viking fans, ignore this, but I'm really happy that this happened to Brett and Chilly. It couldn't happen to two slipperier snakes.

Oh Bert, how the manipulation and deceit catches up. . . .

This calls for a sing along!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4&feature=search

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Quite honestly, John Kuhn has looked better than Gerhart this preseason.

mraynrand
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM

And he had such promise, too:

"Gerhart is a big, powerful ball carrier that has just enough speed to be a threat. He runs with a good pad level and consistently breaks through first contact and gets a lot of his yards after initial contact..."

mraynrand
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Absolutely. And the Packer running backs and FBs (Quinn and Bjack stood out to me) have looked really solid in blitz pickup. Kuhn seems to have done just about everything they've asked well - and they've asked a lot.

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I liked Toby Gerhart a lot as a prospect. The problem, however, that I have with him in Minnesota is that he's really the poor man's Adrian Peterson and that doesn't add a ton of value when you've already got the rich man's Adrian Peterson. They're attempting to create a running back tandem of Thunder and Thunder, which confuses me more than a little bit.

Brandon494
08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't see Toby Gerhert doing shit in the NFL. Hes not going up against Pac-10 defenses anymore.

packerbacker1234
08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
as long as Harvin doesn't miss a game due to migrains, I think they'll be fine. He is a better WR than people think, possibly better than Rice.

Not just that, but Berrian is healthy this year, right? Last year he had a lingering hammy or something liek that, so if he is healthy he can pick up the slack. They are naturally better with rice. but they aren't screwed if he is gone either.

If the packers lost Jennings for half the season, would we be screwed? Hardly. A good QB is a good QB no matter who he has to throw the ball too.

hoosier
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
as long as Harvin doesn't miss a game due to migrains, I think they'll be fine. He is a better WR than people think, possibly better than Rice.

Not just that, but Berrian is healthy this year, right? Last year he had a lingering hammy or something liek that, so if he is healthy he can pick up the slack. They are naturally better with rice. but they aren't screwed if he is gone either.

If the packers lost Jennings for half the season, would we be screwed? Hardly. A good QB is a good QB no matter who he has to throw the ball too.

That wasn't necessarily the case for Favre when he was stuck playing with mediocre talent such as Schroeder, Bradford and Ferguson. What we saw then was a Favre who was always struggling to develop "rapport" with whoever the revolving door had just brought in.

Harvin may be more versatile than Rice and he's certainly more exciting but no way does he come close as a wide receiver. And comparing loss of Rice to loss of Jennings is a bit of a stretch: the Vikings don't go four-deep at WR and Berrian is nowhere near as reliable as Driver.

red
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
queens fans should be pissed. sounds like he needed the surgery all of season but kept holding off to see if he healed on his own. now instead of missing some off season workouts and training camp, he'll miss a good chunk of the season

Fritz
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't see Toby Gerhert doing shit in the NFL. Hes not going up against Pac-10 defenses anymore.

Maybe if there was a laundry basket in a closet he would...

packerbacker1234
08-24-2010, 06:01 PM
oh yeah, they undervalued taylor big time in letting him walk away. He was invaluable just in pass protection alone. That is why I was surprised they didn't try for westbrook, who while not being the best blocking RB ever, he is up to par and most likely better than any option the vikings have.

mission
08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

I've been saying he's the white Ron Dayne for awhile now. I'll stick to it.

Pugger
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Absolutely. And the Packer running backs and FBs (Quinn and Bjack stood out to me) have looked really solid in blitz pickup. Kuhn seems to have done just about everything they've asked well - and they've asked a lot.

Yeah, AP looked like garbage trying to pick up a blitz so the 9ers flattened Grandpa Sunday night. :laugh:

BlueBrewer
08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
chilly now says they have not ruled out IR

RashanGary
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM

He's just pissed at Rice for letting it get to this point and trying to prove a point. I'll bet he doesn't go on IR. PUP for sure.

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 08:18 PM

He's just pissed at Rice for letting it get to this point and trying to prove a point. I'll bet he doesn't go on IR. PUP for sure.

Well, "we haven't ruled out IR" essentially means nothing at this point. They don't really know how well the surgery went and what the prognosis of his recovery is. If it looks like he won't be able to play this year, they'll put him on IR like any team would.

red
08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
i saw on espn that its 8 weeks before he can run or even start to work out again

BlueBrewer
08-25-2010, 08:25 AM
i saw on espn that its 8 weeks before he can run or even start to work out again

That sounds like more than 8 games missed to me.

bobblehead
08-25-2010, 08:48 AM

No clue if the surgery is the same, but in baseball, ARod was playing, I THINK, 6 weeks after his hip surgery.

LP
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
queens fans should be pissed. sounds like he needed the surgery all of season but kept holding off to see if he healed on his own. now instead of missing some off season workouts and training camp, he'll miss a good chunk of the season

You don't suppose he was hanging out with Bigby do you?

mngolf19
08-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Well considering he didn't falter down the stretch last year. I don't get it. MN lost 4 games on grass. The grass is the common denominator and what both players and the beat writers say was the reason for those.

mngolf19
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM

He catches well, he can only block better than AP, and due to better timing he will run inside better than AP. I'm not saying he's the next Jim Brown. He's adequate as the backup/change of pace to AP. That's homerism?

Bossman641
08-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Chilly? Proving a point? Are we talking about the same guy here?

mngolf19
08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
They just traded for Greg Camarillo too. Don't know anything about that guy other than he was a Dolphin.

hoosier
08-25-2010, 01:12 PM

He catches well, he can only block better than AP, and due to better timing he will run inside better than AP. I'm not saying he's the next Jim Brown. He's adequate as the backup/change of pace to AP. That's homerism?

Running well inside definitely was not part of the several reviews of his preseason performance that I have read. His receiving skills, combined with the fact that his blocking skills are not nonexistent, doesn't really make him a good changeup in my book. An adequate third down back, maybe.

mngolf19
08-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Running well inside definitely was not part of the several reviews of his preseason performance that I have read. His receiving skills, combined with the fact that his blocking skills are not nonexistent, doesn't really make him a good changeup in my book. An adequate third down back, maybe.

Yeah I know what your saying. But they are doing vanilla stuff in preseason, he hasn't run behind the complete starting OL yet this year, and some of what I am getting out of him is that the Vikes want him to be more of an Ahole when playing. He's a little too nice right now.

For those that think they should have kept Taylor. Everyone would have preferred that but they couldn't pay $12M to a player that gets 150 touches a year.

hoosier
08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken Camarillo was used primarily as a slot receiver in Miami. Are the Vikings seeing him primarily as an insurance policy in case Harvin is out for a while too? As far as I can tell neither Harvin nor Camarillo fit the mold of replacements for Rice and his toughness and route-running abilities. Berrian isn't that either.

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Hoosier, what the hell is your avatar?

swede
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM

I assumed it was either a cartilaginous fish or the last Republican to leave McCain's headquarters on November 5th, 2008.

hoosier
08-25-2010, 02:45 PM

I assumed it was either a cartilaginous fish or the last Republican to leave McCain's headquarters on November 5th, 2008.

Swede is closer than he knows. It is a blobfish. The closest thing on earth to formless matter.

mraynrand
08-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Swede is closer than he knows. It is a blobfish. The closest thing on earth to formless matter.

Here's that McCain Republican:

http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fattest-man-diet.jpg

mngolf19
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken Camarillo was used primarily as a slot receiver in Miami. Are the Vikings seeing him primarily as an insurance policy in case Harvin is out for a while too? As far as I can tell neither Harvin nor Camarillo fit the mold of replacements for Rice and his toughness and route-running abilities. Berrian isn't that either.

I think your on to something here. Walker would likely be the fill in for Rice and Camarillo would be the fill in for Harvin. Unless they are thinking Harvin could play out wide some too?

hoosier
08-25-2010, 03:32 PM

I think your on to something here. Walker would likely be the fill in for Rice and Camarillo would be the fill in for Harvin. Unless they are thinking Harvin could play out wide some too?

That sounds right (Walker=Rice and Camarillo=Harvin). The problem is that Camarillo is strictly a possession type guy who lacks Harvin's speed and elusiveness. Berrian basically has one route he can run effectively. If Walker has really been able to overcome his knee issues and whatever else contributed to his huge decline after 2006 then the Vikings will be in decent shape. If not, then defenses are going to load up on Peterson and dare Favre to beat them. In that case look for some big plays and also a fair number of bone-headed plays by your veteran QB.

RashanGary
08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
This hurts the Vikings. Rice is a prototype Favre target, maybe more than any receiver he's worked with since Sterling Sharpe.

He's a big body with great hands, catches the ball well in traffic and can go up for the jump ball. Favre thrives at throwing the covered slant, covered out, covered post and covered jump ball. Rice is the type of receiver that doesn't create great separation, but he's great at catching in traffic and using his body.

Favre isn't going to change. He's going to still throw those tight slants, tight outs, jump balls. . . The difference is, I don't think they'll be caught as often now.

RashanGary
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
This is the headline at the star tribune

"Keep in mind that Favre helped make Rice"

Well, it shouldn't be a problem then. Favre can just make a new guy, since he's the guy who makes them.

retailguy
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Losing Rice has to hurt the Vikings. How could it not?

But really, what else do you do in the 3rd week of August? You have a massive hole, maybe two, and this is what is available. If you know about it in March, maybe you trade for Anquan Boldin, or somebody else, but who is willing to trade right now?

AJ Smith might be, but he's so hard headed, you have to be able to make a deal. I don't believe Spielman ignored the fact that Vincent Jackson is sitting at home, but if you can't make a deal, you have to move to the next guy.

My guess, is that these are the best guys he could get.

mission
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Well, it shouldn't be a problem then. Favre can just make a new guy, since he's the guy who makes them.

That can't be true... that headline. :lol:

Everything about them is so B-rate right now, it's great.

Patler
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I will be shocked if Walker provides much of anything to the Vikings. Realistically, he was more hype and illusion than performance anyway. His best year was fine, but not a shocking or "wow" performance as it was, and it happened a LONG time ago for a football player.

As a Packer, Walker never liked being a possession type receiver, and his #s dropped drastically when he was used more in that way. At his age and with his history, he needs to have a "short game".

hoosier
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM

But really, what else do you do in the 3rd week of August? You have a massive hole, maybe two, and this is what is available. If you know about it in March, maybe you trade for Anquan Boldin, or somebody else, but who is willing to trade right now?

AJ Smith might be, but he's so hard headed, you have to be able to make a deal. I don't believe Spielman ignored the fact that Vincent Jackson is sitting at home, but if you can't make a deal, you have to move to the next guy.

According to the Minneapolis rag they were not willing to pay Jackson's salary demands. They must be truly exorbitant seeing how desparate the Vikings are to win this year.

Patler
08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Is it really?

retailguy
08-25-2010, 04:09 PM

According to the Minneapolis rag they were not willing to pay Jackson's salary demands. They must be truly exorbitant seeing how desparate the Vikings are to win this year.

Well, that goes a long way to explaining why Jackson is sitting at home, I guess.

hoosier
08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I will be shocked if Walker provides much of anything to the Vikings. Realistically, he was more hype and illusion than performance anyway. His best year was fine, but not a shocking or "wow" performance as it was, and it happened a LONG time ago for a football player.

As a Packer, Walker never liked being a possession type receiver, and his #s dropped drastically when he was used more in that way. At his age and with his history, he needs to have a "short game".

I have a different recollection of Walker from the second half of 2003 (his second year, when he really began to emerge) and 2004: while he excelled at going and getting Favre's often underthrown deep floaters he was also very effective in the short passing game because of his strength; it often took two or more defenders to bring him down while he was picking up extra yardage dragging the first guy with him.

I don't disagree, of course, with your observation that those years were a lifetime ago in football time.

Patler
08-25-2010, 04:52 PM

I have a different recollection of Walker from the second half of 2003 (his second year, when he really began to emerge) and 2004: while he excelled at going and getting Favre's often underthrown deep floaters he was also very effective in the short passing game because of his strength; it often took two or more defenders to bring him down while he was picking up extra yardage dragging the first guy with him.

I don't disagree, of course, with your observation that those years were a lifetime ago in football time.

I'm not talking about being tackled after a reception on the outside, I mean going after the balls when you know a safety or a linebacker is barreling down on you. The short crossing routes. Short routes outside he was fine with.

I remember long discussions on what ever board it was at the time about Walker not having the guts of Driver to go get the ball on the short crossing routes, short-arming balls and not so good efforts when the ball came his way on those routes. If he ran up field routes he was fine, or short routes outside, but not crossing routes. He was the big guy not playing like it.

To a large extent that year, Driver did the dirty work while Walker go the glory plays.

That's one of the great things about the Jennings/Driver combination (and Jones and Nelson, too). They all go after the balls even when they know a hit is coming.

RashanGary
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Is it really?

Yeah. That's the headline, on their website anyway.

red
08-25-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm not talking about being tackled after a reception on the outside, I mean going after the balls when you know a safety or a linebacker is barreling down on you. The short crossing routes. Short routes outside he was fine with.

I remember long discussions on what ever board it was at the time about Walker not having the guts of Driver to go get the ball on the short crossing routes, short-arming balls and not so good efforts when the ball came his way on those routes. If he ran up field routes he was fine, or short routes outside, but not crossing routes. He was the big guy not playing like it.

To a large extent that year, Driver did the dirty work while Walker go the glory plays.

That's one of the great things about the Jennings/Driver combination (and Jones and Nelson, too). They all go after the balls even when they know a hit is coming.

are you sure you're not thinking about "gator arms" ferguson?

Patler
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Is it really?

Yeah. That's the headline, on their website anyway.

Those things always bother me a little, because it is so discrediting to the other players.

People argued that even on here (and prior boards) about Driver. That he really wasn't that good, might not even start a lot of places, was made by Favre, etc. etc. Well, some of those receivers made by Favre are doing OK in GB since he left, and Rodgers seems to be "making" Finley quite nicely.

A receiver needs a decent QB, but doesn't become an all-pro without his own efforts, primarily.

Patler
08-25-2010, 06:00 PM

are you sure you're not thinking about "gator arms" ferguson?

Ferguson never had gator arms until he nearly lost his head.

No, it was Walker during his "breakout" season and a half in GB.

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Apparently Jackson wants a ridiculous amount of money. He reportedly wants a 5 yr/$50M deal with $30M guaranteed. Given he's been arrested twice for a DUI, he's one more incident away from a 1 yr suspension. That's a hell of a risk to take on a guy with the attitude that Jackson's had. I know the DUI situation worked out great with Jared Allen, but he's got a way better attitude and better head on his shoulders than Jackson.

Add in that the Vikes are paying more for Favre this year than originally planned and their budget got a bit tighter. They simply couldn't take on what Jackson wanted to be paid.

MichiganPackerFan
08-26-2010, 11:35 AM

One of the things I love about Driver is even after taking that hard hit, he still managers to fight and squirm for 3-5 more yards.

mngolf19
08-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Apparently Jackson wants a ridiculous amount of money. He reportedly wants a 5 yr/$50M deal with $30M guaranteed. Given he's been arrested twice for a DUI, he's one more incident away from a 1 yr suspension. That's a hell of a risk to take on a guy with the attitude that Jackson's had. I know the DUI situation worked out great with Jared Allen, but he's got a way better attitude and better head on his shoulders than Jackson.

Add in that the Vikes are paying more for Favre this year than originally planned and their budget got a bit tighter. They simply couldn't take on what Jackson wanted to be paid.

He's also suspended for the first 3 games this year. So he doesn't help much either.

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM

He's also suspended for the first 3 games this year. So he doesn't help much either.

That boy's just full of problems isn't he? Good on the Vikes for passing on him.

BlueBrewer
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
So what is the story with Harvin now? Is he going to end up being day to day all season?

The Vikings can have All Day and Day to Day on the roster.

mngolf19
08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
So what is the story with Harvin now? Is he going to end up being day to day all season?

The Vikings can have All Day and Day to Day on the roster.

Yes. He was day to day last year too but seemed to make I think all but 2 games.

Patler
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I have looked for the answers, but can't find them. Does anyone know:

What was the hip injury?
What was done in the surgery?

I saw one article in which Rice disclosed that he went ahead with the surgery after the doctors told him that playing on it would likely shorten his career. It must have been fairly serious.

I wonder what the prognosis is even with the surgery?

imscott72
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune is "hearing" that Sidney Rice will be on crutches for eight weeks following hip surgery.
If this report is true, Rice's surgery wasn't comparable to Brandon Marshall's after all. Marshall was participating in practices a month and a half after surgery. Perhaps more troubling, Rice disclosed Wednesday that doctors told him the injury could have shortened his career if he played on it this season. Don't expect to him to suit up before November.
Source: Judd Zulgad on Twitter

imscott72
08-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like it's questionable Walker will even make the team..

ESPN's Tom Pelissero confirms that Javon Walker is "far from a lock" to make the Vikings' 53-man roster.
It was recently suggested by a competing Vikings beat writer that Walker was headed for a starting role opposite Bernard Berrian, but there's no chance of that happening. According to Pelissero, Walker's tryout for the team "was only OK," and his "rust has been obvious" in practice. Greg Camarillo is a much, much better bet for regular playing time than Walker.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

hoosier
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I think Troy Williamson might be available too.

Fritz
08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Charles Rodgers, baby!

Willard
08-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Taco! Taco! Taco! Taco!

Joemailman
08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Fergy is playing for the Omaha Nighthawks. All it takes is one phone call. This could be his breakout year...