PDA

View Full Version : Bush on his way out...

mission
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
The Packers took Jarrett Bush off their top special teams groups, a sign his roster spot could be in jeopardy, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100823/PKR01/100823175/Insider-Prospects-not-looking-good-for-Jarrett-Bush

“Sam’s earned it,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “He’s definitely getting some time with the 1s, and we do want to get closer to what we feel are going to be the guys you’re playing with. There is some projection, and you want to get more information on the newer guys.”

Does this mean I'm gonna win my $20 bet with Get Louder!!?? :D I couldn't be happier -- bet or no bet.

Patler
08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
The Packers took Jarrett Bush off their top special teams groups, a sign his roster spot could be in jeopardy, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100823/PKR01/100823175/Insider-Prospects-not-looking-good-for-Jarrett-Bush

Does this mean I'm gonna win my $20 bet with Get Louder!!?? :D I couldn't be happier -- bet or no bet.

Could very well be the end for Bush in GB. Shields can play where Bush played on ST, is younger, faster and seems to have potential as a corner. It's another of those situations where a player makes the team on ST play, and gets a few years to prove himself on O or D. If he doesn't, unless he is a special teams demon, they will move on to someone else.

Havner made it on ST play too, but then showed versatility that makes him a real asset on the 45 man game day roster, and is becoming a legit backup TE. Bush hasn't broadened his game beyond ST play.

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 10:30 AM

“Sam’s earned it,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “He’s definitely getting some time with the 1s, and we do want to get closer to what we feel are going to be the guys you’re playing with. There is some projection, and you want to get more information on the newer guys.”

I'm not warming up the PayPal account just yet, but it's obviously not a positive for Bush. I like Shields, and hope he makes the team. I also think his shot at returner is done for now, and he'll make it as a gunner and CB. Not great news for Mr. Bush.

mission
08-24-2010, 10:41 AM

I'm not warming up the PayPal account just yet, but it's obviously not a positive for Bush. I like Shields, and hope he makes the team. I also think his shot at returner is done for now, and he'll make it as a gunner and CB. Not great news for Mr. Bush.

Yeah, I think Patler really nailed it. You know what you have with Bush and Shields just has a ton more upside. Hopefully he continues to develop.

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I think Patler really nailed it. You know what you have with Bush and Shields just has a ton more upside. Hopefully he continues to develop.

I'm with ya on that, but I haven't given up on both of them finding spots on the roster, ala the three FBs last year. Cmon, Jarrett, don't let me down! (Again.)

Merlin
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree, Bush either needs to show something spectacular or he will be gone. Shields has a great up side but has those rock hands so far are a bit concerning. It is possible we keep both early in the season and see who shines and let the other one go.

rbaloha1
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Thank goodness. JB is way too inconsistent in secondary play.

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree, Bush either needs to show something spectacular or he will be gone. Shields has a great up side but has those rock hands so far are a bit concerning. It is possible we keep both early in the season and see who shines and let the other one go.

Well, if Shields takes Bush's job on special teams, his rock hands aren't going to be an issue since you never saw Jarrett Bush returning kicks. Shields was a gunner at Miami, and Bush was primarily a gunner in Green Bay. Doesn't so much matter if he can catch the ball, provided he can catch the ball carrier.

vince
08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
FWIW, Shilelds continues to work with the 1's as both a jammer and gunner in today's practice. Bush completely out of the picture.

Tony Oday
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Could very well be the end for Bush in GB. Shields can play where Bush played on ST, is younger, faster and seems to have potential as a corner. It's another of those situations where a player makes the team on ST play, and gets a few years to prove himself on O or D. If he doesn't, unless he is a special teams demon, they will move on to someone else.

Havner made it on ST play too, but then showed versatility that makes him a real asset on the 45 man game day roster, and is becoming a legit backup TE. Bush hasn't broadened his game beyond ST play.

Frankenbacker is a TE, he is a ST guy, he is a backup LB...the guy is a stud...lets try him out at FB, Punter and holder....

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
FWIW, Shilelds continues to work with the 1's as both a jammer and gunner in today's practice. Bush completely out of the picture.

Uh oh, pasghetti-os!

mission
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Uh oh, pasghetti-os!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

vince
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
kareemcopeland Bush beat in the back corner of the end zone on a flynn to driver touchdown.

BrianCarriveau Rodgers hits Finley for short gain working against Bush.

Tony Oday
08-24-2010, 12:29 PM
7th grader jukes Bush out of his jock and goes for six on a Matt Flynn pass...film at 11

mission
08-24-2010, 12:29 PM
kareemcopeland Bush beat in the back corner of the end zone on a flynn to driver touchdown.

Keep it coming! :lol:

I just realized we registered on the same day, Vince. That makes us special or something. :glug:

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 12:41 PM

BrianCarriveau Rodgers hits Finley for short gain working against Bush.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Driver has made even Charles Woodson look like a fool this TC, and Rodgers to Finley "for a short gain" is better than just about everyone has done against that combo so far this year.

It ain't over until the fat lady accidentally sits on Bush and crushes him to death. The guy is like a cockroach.

vince
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I hear ya Louder. She's getting awfully tired of standing right about now though, and I think she has some boric acid roach bait with her too...

bobblehead
08-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Frankenbacker is a TE, he is a ST guy, he is a backup LB...the guy is a stud...lets try him out at FB, Punter and holder....

Some have suggested that the punting battle may come down to the better holder, so I am in with Frankenbacker as the holder so we may keep the best punter independent of holding. Lets face it, Havner might as well take over coaching ST and the OLine as well since we need upgrades there.

bobblehead
08-24-2010, 12:49 PM
oh yea, the thread is about bush....I agree, Bush has proven he can't play DB, so if Shields is equal at ST and has potential (and is cheaper) he will definately get the nod.

Tony Oday
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Some have suggested that the punting battle may come down to the better holder, so I am in with Frankenbacker as the holder so we may keep the best punter independent of holding. Lets face it, Havner might as well take over coaching ST and the OLine as well since we need upgrades there.

and really why not just punt as well?

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
I hear ya Louder. She's getting awfully tired of standing right about now though, and I think she has some boric acid roach bait with her too...

Maybe Jarrett just needs to hear his theme song for a little encouragement-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6zv8kiNmb4&feature=related

red
08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
this is some of the best packer news we've received in years

go get him sam

CaptainKickass
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Trim the Bush!

(from the roster :D )

Brandon494
08-24-2010, 03:28 PM
If we cut Shields and keep Bush I'll blow my fucking brains out.....well maybe not but I'll be pissed. :lol:

red
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
If we cut Shields and keep Bush I'll blow my fucking brains out.....well maybe not but I'll be pissed. :lol:

no doubt

we haven't seen anything that would lead us to believe that shields couldn't do everything bush does, just better with much more potential

it almost seems like a no-brainer. but cutting bush the last 3 years also seemed to be a no-brainer

SkinBasket
08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Where are all those cocksnorkles that were calling me an asshole for hating Bush last year - telling me I was stupid for not recognizing his "elite" gunner skillz? I know Partial was one of them, but there were others. Don't ya'll go getting shy on me now.

red
08-24-2010, 04:58 PM
i hated him more

Travbrew
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Agreed, very pissed.

The very thought of Bush being cut and not screaming "Jarett FUCKING Bush" at the top of my lungs a couple of times every Sunday has put me in one best moods in recent memory. I won't miss that aspect of my weekend ritual.

sharpe1027
08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Where are all those cocksnorkles that were calling me an asshole for hating Bush last year - telling me I was stupid for not recognizing his "elite" gunner skillz? I know Partial was one of them, but there were others. Don't ya'll go getting shy on me now.

I'll own up. But I don't remember ever calling you an asshole or saying that anything Bush did was elite.

I said he wasn't as bad as people were bitching about, for a 5th stringer, and that they didn't have any better options anyway. I got blasted for trying to make that relatively simple point.

If Shields is better, put him on the roster.

Merlin
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Well, if Shields takes Bush's job on special teams, his rock hands aren't going to be an issue since you never saw Jarrett Bush returning kicks. Shields was a gunner at Miami, and Bush was primarily a gunner in Green Bay. Doesn't so much matter if he can catch the ball, provided he can catch the ball carrier.

I thought they were both also CB's? At least that's how I thought they lined up when I watched them play. If they are gunner's great but the upside has to be the CB position, not ST. Sheilds I believe was back for PR but he can't catch a ball thrown to him or kicked to him. I would also hope that a CB does more than catch the ball carrier - or am I mistaken?

SkinBasket
08-24-2010, 06:10 PM

I'll own up. But I don't remember ever calling you an asshole or saying that anything Bush did was elite.

I said he wasn't as bad as people were bitching about, for a 5th stringer, and that they didn't have any better options anyway. I got blasted for trying to make that relatively simple point.

If Shields is better, put him on the roster.

Kudos shapre, I respect someone who owns their position. It was probably our dearly departed Chubby Rumpkins who did most of the talk about eliteness, so I shouldn't try to put that on the rest of you guys who where just partially to mostly wrong about him.

mission
08-24-2010, 06:21 PM

hating Bush is a lot like loving Rodgers. you aren't very right field with those thoughts.

and i thought the whole gunner talk was 2-3 years ago. seemed the consensus last year was his "skillz" were based on a couple tackles he made his first year on punt cover team and that he was vastly overrated, even on that front.

now what red says is probably the best point in the whole thread:

it almost seems like a no-brainer. but cutting bush the last 3 years also seemed to be a no-brainer

scary. true. scary.

Pugger
08-24-2010, 06:34 PM

As wonderful as it sounds to have Bush out the door I won't believe it until final cut-downs. The coaches could be just putting Sheilds in there just to see if he's (SS) worth keeping on the active roster or PS.

channtheman
08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

I remember after hearing how great Bush was as a gunner to watch him on kickoffs and punts and all he ever did was run himself down the field and out of the play. He was completely useless.

Lurker64
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM

As wonderful as it sounds to have Bush out the door I won't believe it until final cut-downs. The coaches could be just putting Sheilds in there just to see if he's (SS) worth keeping on the active roster or PS.

Well, the fact that Shields is now being given the opportunity to take Bush's job certainly doesn't bode well for Bush. Considering how bad Bush has been in coverage and how poor the STs have been overall, the bar is likely not high for what Shields needs to show he can do. The tackle on the punt after Martin got ejected in the Seattle game was more impressive than any Bush ST play in the last couple of years.

SkinBasket
08-24-2010, 07:48 PM

hating Bush is a lot like loving Rodgers. you aren't very right field with those thoughts.

and i thought the whole gunner talk was 2-3 years ago. seemed the consensus last year was his "skillz" were based on a couple tackles he made his first year on punt cover team and that he was vastly overrated, even on that front.

now what red says is probably the best point in the whole thread:

scary. true. scary.

I explicitly remember this discussion being repeated last season. I'm not claiming some kind of righteousness about being right about Bush, if I came off that way. I just want people who battled so viciously for him before to accept that maybe they were mistaken.

Learning from our mistakes is the only way we can continue to evolve as a people, because our brains sure as shit aren't getting any bigger.

Patler
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
In one of the blogs from practice a couple weeks ago, the reporter said they did drills for various ST positions, like gunner, gunner blocking, etc. and that Bush stood out above everyone else. Unless Shields can do the same, and apparently he did in college, Bush may have some life left in him yet.

mission
08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
In one of the blogs from practice a couple weeks ago, the reporter said they did drills for various ST positions, like gunner, gunner blocking, etc. and that Bush stood out above everyone else. Unless Shields can do the same, and apparently he did in college, Bush may have some life left in him yet.

Were the calling penalties during those drills? :P

mraynrand
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM

I remember after hearing how great Bush was as a gunner to watch him on kickoffs and punts and all he ever did was run himself down the field and out of the play. He was completely useless.

He was an excellent gunner. He was unblockable for a long stretch of his career in GB. However, he didn't make enough plays, particularly in downing punts before getting into the endzone for a touchback - or picking up lose balls in NFCC games. He never progressed as a defensive back.

Patler
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Were the calling penalties during those drills? :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ThunderDan
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM

I've wanted Bush gone since he didn't fall on the loose ball in the NFC Championship against the NYG.

pbmax
08-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Present. The Titans offered him serious money to be on their Special Teams and that seemed confirmation of his skill, since the Titans units are usually solid. Despite having not downed that ball against the Giants, he was good.

But 2009 was a continuation of the penalty fest (not as a gunner, but still) and he was less effective. In my defense, I only claim that the teams were so bad, it would be hard to apportion more than one fractional share of the blame to Bush.

The other problem is that he had to play CB last year and no one really needed that. Its odd, because he always seems to be one move from position and then loses his man. Its all there, but it never seems to come together. I wonder if Slocum and Strock coached him down as Fritz likes to say.

get louder at lambeau
08-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Cocksnorkel? That's a confusing yet somehow hilarious categorization. I guess I am that, since I have been one of Bush's biggest defenders on every forum I frequent. I even have a Jarrett Bush avatar at packershome.com, but that's mostly just because it's awesome, just like my Jim McMahon avatar here is awesome.

All I say is this, Skinbasket- Jarrett "La Cucaracha" Bush has yet to be eliminated from the roster, so your ejaculation is premature. Good day, sir!

I said "Good day!" :evil:

Pugger
08-25-2010, 01:05 AM

Well, the fact that Shields is now being given the opportunity to take Bush's job certainly doesn't bode well for Bush. Considering how bad Bush has been in coverage and how poor the STs have been overall, the bar is likely not high for what Shields needs to show he can do. The tackle on the punt after Martin got ejected in the Seattle game was more impressive than any Bush ST play in the last couple of years.

I hear ya, but it has befuddled most fans as to why this coaching staff has been enamored with this goofball Bush all this time. :?:

Tarlam!
08-25-2010, 03:28 AM
I remember vaguely, some starter backing up Bush in an interview.

I haven't been able to get the games so far, they will be showing the Indy game at 2 am Friday morning, so I have no comment on his play.

Just that his team mate backed him up.

And Skin, I didn't call you out, but if i did, I would now bow down and offer you a blowjob like a man.

red
08-25-2010, 07:10 AM
what a beautiful morning

has he been cut yet?

SkinBasket
08-25-2010, 07:20 AM
And Skin, I didn't call you out, but if i did, I would now bow down and offer you a blowjob like a man.

Does that mean to be a man, I would have to accept said blowjob (not saying I wouldn't once you bust out that charming accent)? Because that would set a confusing precedent.

Tarlam!
08-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Does that mean to be a man, I would have to accept said blowjob (not saying I wouldn't once you bust out that charming accent)? Because that would set a confusing precedent.

No. The manly part is bowing and offering. The homo part would be sticking your cock in a man's mouth.

The good thing here is it's all hypothetical and we're merely educating our readers.

mission
08-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Hmm, OK, fellas.... ? :oops:

mraynrand
08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
we're merely educating our readers.

I've learned enough.

red
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
i don't care who pitches or who catches

you're both now flamers in my book

red
08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
so in tomorrow nights game shields will be the starting nickle cb. meaning he's #3 on the depth chart right now only behind c-wood and tramon and ahead of underwood, lee, M3, slocum, the hot dog guy, parking attendant and bush

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4226&section_id=40

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM

I probably called you an asshole, but it wasn't about that AND i meant it in the best possible way.

I think his failures were also magnified by the fact that we had three CB's on IR reserve and he shouldn't have been that far up the depth chart. I think he's had enough time and we know what we have there (little to nothing at CB, but a solid ST contributor). Sounds a lot like Ferguson. It's time to give someone else with more upside a shot.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
so in tomorrow nights game shields will be the starting nickle cb. meaning he's #3 on the depth chart right now only behind c-wood and tramon and ahead of underwood, lee, M3, slocum, the hot dog guy, parking attendant and bush

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4226&section_id=40

They might just be giving him more first team reps to see what he's made of. Sounds like in practice Lee has moved to #3, Underwood is at #4, and Shields is at #5.

get louder at lambeau
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM

They might just be giving him more first team reps to see what he's made of. Sounds like in practice Lee has moved to #3, Underwood is at #4, and Shields is at #5.

Yeah, I think that's it. They want to make sure it's not a mistake to spend a roster spot on Shields, so they want to throw him in the fire and see how he does. It's also a wake up call to Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee, as well as Bush. None of them played very well last week.

Pugger
08-25-2010, 12:50 PM

I haven't been able to get the games so far, they will be showing the Indy game at 2 am Friday morning, so I have no comment on his play.

Maybe he is a good guy in the lockerroom and well liked by his teammates and coaches. That's all well and good but that isn't going to help us win games.

get louder at lambeau
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Maybe he is a good guy in the lockerroom and well liked by his teammates and coaches. That's all well and good but that isn't going to help us win games.

Wait, are you talking about Skinbasket, or Tarlam? I don't think I'd want to share a lockerroom with either, personally.

OH, you meant BUSH! :wink:

packers11
08-25-2010, 04:13 PM
very telling quote...

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100824/PKR01/100824163/CB-Harris-may-not-be-ready-for-season-opener

“I really didn’t know when Al would be back or when he’s going to be back,” defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. “Our whole approach has got to be focused on the guys you have out here, trying to get them ready to play, which is what we’ve been trying to do with Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee and Sam Shields.”

Joemailman
08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

No. The manly part is bowing and offering. The homo part would be sticking your cock in a man's mouth.

The good thing here is it's all hypothetical and we're merely educating our readers.

I sense an opportunity for a Shawn Slocum joke in here somewhere.

get louder at lambeau
08-25-2010, 05:24 PM

I sense an opportunity for a Shawn Slocum joke in here somewhere.

More like a Brad Childress joke.

Packers4Glory
08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
thank God if this happens. I can't take another yr of Bush..... :shock:

Pugger
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Wait, are you talking about Skinbasket, or Tarlam? I don't think I'd want to share a lockerroom with either, personally.

OH, you meant BUSH! :wink:

:lol: :lol:

vince
08-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Vandermause is projecting Bush to make the team while Harris sits on PUP.

SkinBasket
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM

That Vandermause isn't as dumb as he looks.

mission
08-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Damn, that would be a huge disappointment to lose my bet that way.

Guy gets cut two weeks into the season. Aye, aye aye.. :lol:

get louder at lambeau
08-29-2010, 01:32 PM

That Vandermause isn't as dumb as he looks.

I'm not so sure. Sometimes he is plenty dumb.

Fritz
08-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Do not forget George Carlin's wisdom on this topic. If the room is pitch black and you can't see a thing, and a warm, soft, wet mouth engulfs your manhood and you kick back and enjoy, and then when it's over the lights go on and you find out it's a man....does that make you gay?

mission
08-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Do not forget George Carlin's wisdom on this topic. If the room is pitch black and you can't see a thing, and a warm, soft, wet mouth engulfs your manhood and you kick back and enjoy, and then when it's over the lights go on and you find out it's a man....does that make you gay?

Depends on if you can feel facial scruff while it's going on.

vince
08-29-2010, 06:57 PM
McCarthy hinted today that Harris has not been ruled out to be on the initial 53. He likely wont' be ready for opening day, but he's progressing nicely. Bad news for Bush probably.

However, Bush worked ahead of Lee with the second defense in practice today. Perhaps that spells doom for Pat Lee.

Fritz
08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Way to get the thread back on track, Vince.

Your post gets me wondering what has happened to Pat Lee. Did Thompson whiff on a second round corner? Or has the guy never quite come back from the injuries?

Joemailman
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Injuries to Blackmon and Underwood certainly help Bush's chances since he has played both cornerback and safety. A week ago, I thought he had no chance. Not so sure now.

Gunakor
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Way to get the thread back on track, Vince.

Your post gets me wondering what has happened to Pat Lee. Did Thompson whiff on a second round corner? Or has the guy never quite come back from the injuries?

If I recall, Lee was drafted to be a physical press corner when we still ran a 4-3 with our corners primarily in man coverage. Not sure if the switch to a 3-4 and zone coverage has anything to do with his struggles, but it's worth noting that he wasn't really a zone corner coming out of college and we weren't really a zone coverage team when he was drafted. His skill set might not be what we're looking for anymore. He might do well in another system. He certainly hasn't impressed in ours.

Fritz
08-30-2010, 06:57 AM
You may well be right, Gun. I don't know that much about the technical aspects of playing positions. It just seems to me though that a guy can either play corner or not - and could adjust. I think some folks were worried about Al Harris being able to play zone. But he did.

I could be wrong. But I am disappointed in Lee. A second round corner is a guy who should have the physical tools but just needs development. And I know the guy was hurt, but still, he's been in the NFL for two years. And he's not even getting mention in the JSO article today on the nickle situation.

I am interested in what Harris's injury will tell us about what the coaches think of the young corners. If they keep Harris on the PUP that would tell me they like all three young guys - Lee, Underwood, Shileds - and want to see how each pans out before they have to dump one. If they don't put Harris on the PUP, and he sits the first three games or so, to me it means they really lost faith in one of the young guys - probably Lee.