PDA

View Full Version : Tidbit from Seattle game

Patler
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Meant to mention this, because it kind of surprised me. They mentioned during an interview with him that in the 40 games or so since he became the starter, Ryan Grant has the second most rushing yards in the NFL.

Can that be right? I wouldn't have been surprised if they said 4th or 5th, but 2nd?

Joemailman
08-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Wait a minute! Why are you asking us? You're the Stat Rat! :D

I suspect it's true.

Patler
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM

I'm too lazy to verify it. :oops:

RashanGary
08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I saw that. Crazy.His balance and ability to break tackles isn't great, but his speed and toughness are.

Patler
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I saw that. Crazy.His balance and ability to break tackles isn't great, but his speed and toughness are.

...and the fact he lines up and plays every week.

Brandon494
08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
It doesn't hurt that he doesn't have to share carries

packers11
08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
It also doesn't hurt that he never plays against a 'stacked box'...

I really think the missing piece to this offense is a CJ Spiller type of back...

Brandon494
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM

I really think the missing piece to this offense is a CJ Spiller type of back...

Agreed, LT would have been a solid pickup this offseason as well. Hopefully when Starks gets healthy he can provide that threat out of the backfield

Mazzin
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I saw that stat last year, and I may be wrong, but I thought the stat was second behind Adrian Peterson in rushing yards...making him second in the NFC in yards since he became the starter.

hoosier
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM

...and the fact he lines up and plays every week.

I think that surprising stat is due to two things: Grant's durability and the phenomenal second half he had in 2007 at a level of productivity that almost nobody would be able to maintain for an entire 16 game season. Look at the other great, almost great and formerly great backs in the NFL today:

--LT has been hurt and in a long decline.
--Stephen Jackson has missed nine games over the last three years because of injuries.
--Maurice Jones-Drew only became the full-time feature back last year.
--Thomas Jones has been consistently solid but has never matched Grant's production in the last half of 2007.
--and Chris Johnson has only been in the league for two years.

mraynrand
08-25-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm too lazy to verify it. :oops:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/patlersignal.jpg

Patler
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
I think that surprising stat is due to two things: Grant's durability and the phenomenal second half he had in 2007 at a level of productivity that almost nobody would be able to maintain for an entire 16 game season.

Huh? His 2007 season was very, very good, but hardly phenomenal. Starting with 104 yards against Denver, he had 929 yards in 10 games, roughly 1500 over a 16 game schedule.

bobblehead
08-25-2010, 10:20 PM

I disagree. This offense is as complete as an O can be in the free agent era. We have a couple holes on D, but our O is missing nothing but a trophy.

pbmax
08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Not so sure about speed. I have a feeling if Grant had shaved .15 off his forty, he would have been drafted and far more expensive.

Funny, but complaints about his contract have really declined. And his number this year is pretty high. Its just hard to be upset. He isn't a gamebreaker, but he does almost everything else.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Actually, Grant has good speed--especially for a big back. I'm pretty sure he timed in the 4.4s coming out.

pbmax
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Actually, Grant has good speed--especially for a big back. I'm pretty sure he timed in the 4.4s coming out.Well, according to theHogs.net, it was 4.43. I would have never guessed. I didn't think he had a top gear.

Wikipedia has him at 4.54. Sometimes the NFL drives me crazy.

jklowan
08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Not true a quick search found this

A Peterson 4484
T Jones 3833
R Grant 3412

Not taking into account any receiving yards

mraynrand
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Actually, Grant has good speed--especially for a big back. I'm pretty sure he timed in the 4.4s coming out.Well, according to theHogs.net, it was 4.43. I would have never guessed. I didn't think he had a top gear.

When did Wikipedia work him out?

Gunakor
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Not true a quick search found this

A Peterson 4484
T Jones 3833
R Grant 3412

Not taking into account any receiving yards

You are giving Jones and Peterson credit for their entire 2007 season. Grant didn't become the starter until week 9 of that season, so the comparison is from week 9 of 2007 until now. Not the beginning of the 2007 season until now.

Take 500 yards, plus or minus, off of T. Jones 3 complete year totals and he falls a tad below Grant's 2 and a half year totals.

Brandon494
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM

I disagree. This offense is as complete as an O can be in the free agent era. We have a couple holes on D, but our O is missing nothing but a trophy.

It's no doubt we have a top offense but we are missing a true 3rd down back to split carries with Grant.

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2010, 09:17 AM

It's no doubt we have a top offense but we are missing a true 3rd down back to split carries with Grant.

BJack will be that back this year. I believe this is the year he finally puts it all together.

3irty1
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Grant definitely has wheels. He's among the best in the NFL as far as size/speed combination.

pbmax
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM

It was a volunteer-based combine, enter your own results. A few very committed souls showed up and argued about whether Mel Kiper was a draft-nik, a draft expert or a self-styled draft authority.

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

It was a volunteer-based combine, enter your own results. A few very committed souls showed up and argued about whether Mel Kiper was a draft-nik, a draft expert or a self-styled draft authority.

Plus, he's not just the president he's a client.