PDA

View Full Version : Sam Shields At Nickel

Joemailman
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4226&section_id=40

Looks like Sam Shields will get a shot at Nickel with the #1 defense Thursday Night. It will be interesting to see what he can do against top competition. Obviously Underwood's performance last week did not sit well with the coaching staff.

pbmax
08-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow. Apparently, Lee's audition yesterday did not go well. :lol:

RashanGary
08-26-2010, 05:43 AM
My theory with these guys is this,

Some people have a hard time with concepts. You can teach them rules and steps, but football is almost impossible to teach in rules and steps. The techniques, sure, but the subtle adjustments that need to be made very play. It would take a long, long, long time to memorize every single one of those.

Other people are good with concepts. They're always trying to consider the situation and adjust to that (not just in football, but in everything). It happens to apply well to football.

When it's 4th and 3 and you're playing cover 2, a person who understands concept and context is going to realize that the first goal of this down is to not give up the TD. The second goal is to not give up the first down. So they're lining up in cover 2, off coverage, with help over the top. Right away, the corner can stop worrying about the TD. He has deep help. Now it's about stopping the first down. How to do that? Play the short routes extremely aggressively, even if it means getting beat on a double move. Again, it's context. On first and 10, you might play it a little differently, but this down, you sell out to stop the easiest 3 yard completions and make them beat you with a higher difficulty pass.

Underwood seems to have no awareness of concept or context. With that, he's always just doing the wrong thing.

I compare it to Robert Ferguson. He was a physical specimen and a hard worker. The coaches loved him, never wanted to take him out. But he ran routes exactly the same every time. He seemed to have no awareness of concept or context. When a ball was not right on the money, it's like he couldn't adjust. Todays receivers, Nelson for an example last week, ran hsi route. He was running into a safety, sensed that if the ball was thrown, it would be better behind where he'd avoid coverage and was able to adjust better because he knows what to expect under that context. . . . Just an on the fly reaction, but really, it's all set up by an awareness. . .

Basically, I think Underwood is garbage. There is no excuse for him to suck this bad, he just sucks. I think Lee is the same. I've been hoping and am still hoping for a CB in trade. Any type of a guy who can just line up and play mixed coverages. Nothing special, just a nickle/dime guy who's not lost.

vince
08-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Hopefully, Shields makes some plays tonight and doesn't get victimized as Manning is wont to doing to guys like him. This could be the most important night of his life so far.

rbaloha1
08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Disappointed with nickel play sofar. SS has poor hands and sometimes lacks ball awareness.

But the recovery speed is great. Underwood and Lee always appear confused. Maybe SS is more assignment sure and solidifies the position.

Fritz
08-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Hopefully, Shields makes some plays tonight and doesn't get victimized as Manning is wont to doing to guys like him. This could be the most important night of his life so far.

I dunno. I think it was the night his girlfriend stopped him and urged him to use a condom.

I think that was a big night for him.

Pugger
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Or maybe the coaches want to see how Shields will do in the nickel and dime this go-around?

Deputy Nutz
08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I think that it stems from the fact that outside of Harris and Woodson the Packers have inexperienced corners. This is a position that takes instincts, understanding of the scheme, talent, and coachability. I am not saying that Underwood or Pat Lee are bad guys or lack talent, but I don't think they have a lick of experience, neither one of them were consistent, top performers in college, they were drafted based on size and/or potential. Same with Sam Shields who was picked up as a free agent.

unfortunately instincts and coachability are very similar to talent, you either have them or you don't and in regards to Underwood, Lee, and Bush they most likely don't.

This is a reason why teams are willing to spend high draft pick after draft pick on corners, and then when they have a good one, make them the highest paid defensive player on the field. To play corner well in the NFL you have to be a 5 tool player, or like Al Harris have certain tools that make up for say, lack of speed, or size.

Woodson is a remarkable 5 tool talent, simply one of the best to ever play the game. He isn't the shut down corner that Deon Sanders was, but Woodson is a better tackler, has much better instincts, and is a turn over machine. If I had to rank corners in the last 20 years, I believe that Woodson would be in the top 3 if not the number one corner on that list. It is just too bad that he had to waste the first half of his career in Oakland.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I think that it stems from the fact that outside of Harris and Woodson the Packers have inexperienced corners.

I wouldn't classify Tramon as inexperienced anymore.

Kind of funny, but I think the Vikings are kind of in a similar situation as us.

They have Winfield. We have Woodson. Very good or great #1 corners.
They have Griffin. We have Harris. Good #2 corners that are coming off an injury.
They have Sheppard. We have Williams. Experienced #3 corners--although I think Sheppard is on the downside and not in Williams league.
They have Cook. We have Lee. Inexperienced #4 corners that they spent a second round pick on.
They have Allen. We have Underwood. Late round pick in their second year.

I like ours a bit better, but both teams need their young guys to step up. Hopefully, Shields gives us a third option at nickel--until Harris comes back.

pbmax
08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Or maybe the coaches want to see how Shields will do in the nickel and dime this go-around?
The joke was that they hadn't even waited to see how Lee had done. I think Harv is right, Lee likely gets first reps at nickel for this exhibition game.

RashanGary
08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I like Asher Allen and I think Cook has a far better chance than any of our young guys. We're better with Woodson. After that, we're about equal with Tramon and let's say 85% Harris. After that, they have us by a long shot IMO. Well, we have Shields, who is a complete wild card, but I think Lee and Underwood are just plain bad. CAnt' say that for Allen and I doubt that's the case with Cook.

Brandon494
08-26-2010, 04:48 PM
We also have a big advantage at safety over the Vikings.

packerbacker1234
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I really am pulling for shields to show any sign he is a competent corner. He has been the class of the 2nd defensive team, almost making his own island out there.

Now he gets a shot, an important shot, to prove he can handle the people who will be on the field every sunday. If harris's recovery is well and he is as good as he was pre injury, this little experiment is more than likely to be for the #4, quarter and dime position, but in either case harris isn't likely to stay around too much longer, and who knows how long woodson plays. If shields shows something tonight, he has real shot to be at least a great nickle corner for us in 2 or 3 years.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I like Asher Allen and I think Cook has a far better chance than any of our young guys. We're better with Woodson. After that, we're about equal with Tramon and let's say 85% Harris. After that, they have us by a long shot IMO. Well, we have Shields, who is a complete wild card, but I think Lee and Underwood are just plain bad. CAnt' say that for Allen and I doubt that's the case with Cook.

We'll see. Right now, Cook is getting the fluff pieces, but we'll see when the bullets fly. Hell, Sam Shields could end up being better than Cook. Probably not, but there have been undrafted free agents that have turned out better than second round picks (see Tramon Williams v Marcus McCauley). Hell, Shields will probably be better than our second round pick. Until any of these guys prove themselves, we just don't know.

I'd put Asher Allen in the same boat as Underwood and Lee. I'm sure one or two of these five guys will turn into players, but we don't know which ones yet.

Fritz
08-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Watching the game yesterday there seemed to be several occasions during which Shields played under a receiver, jumped way up to try to bat a pass away, barely missed it, and the receiver then caught the ball and was tackled by a safety.

I was impressed with Shields's jumping ability. But he didn't get to the ball, either.

I didn't think Lee played great but he didn't play badly, either.

Underwood seems lost to me.

Hell, Tramon Williams seemed lost, too.

red
08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
at least sam is still with the WR, even if he is always playing under and going for the pick. at least he's right there. unlike the the other young corners who always seems to be way out of position. that first TD really bothered me. they blamed it on collins, and somehow burnett, but underwood did nothing to prevent the play. no jam. he just stood there while the wr ran right past him

and i've said it before and i'll say it again, there is a massive drop off between c-wood and al harris to tramon williams. tramon still doesn't look like he's ready to start

Bossman641
08-27-2010, 08:36 AM
and i've said it before and i'll say it again, there is a massive drop off between c-wood and al harris to tramon williams. tramon still doesn't look like he's ready to start

I tend to agree with you. Tramon hasn't progressed over the past 1.5 as I hoped he would. He is still too inconsistent.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I was impressed with Shields's jumping ability. But he didn't get to the ball, either.

Well, he did have 3 pass deflections and an interception. I don't remember that many passes completed on him. I know Wayne got a deep one on him, but overall I'd say he played pretty well. I'm still intrigued by Patrick Lee the most for this year. It's hard to believe that an undrafted rookie could do well his rookie year--especially one that played one year of college ball at corner. I like his potential though.

Tony Oday
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM

I tend to agree with you. Tramon hasn't progressed over the past 1.5 as I hoped he would. He is still too inconsistent.

We WAS going against Reggie Wayne...not a small order. I think the loss of Harris hurts so bad because Tramon now has to go against the number 1 WR because Woodson goes everywhere else.

sharpe1027
08-27-2010, 09:27 AM
at least sam is still with the WR, even if he is always playing under and going for the pick. at least he's right there. unlike the the other young corners who always seems to be way out of position. that first TD really bothered me. they blamed it on collins, and somehow burnett, but underwood did nothing to prevent the play. no jam. he just stood there while the wr ran right past him

I don't think GB had even called their defense yet. It is hard to know who's responsible when nobody has an assignment. :lol:

Patler
08-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Tramon Williams has not lived up to the hype/reputation he gained 2 years ago subbing when Harris was out with the spleen injury. He was an interception machine for a few games that year, and looked to be just a notch below Harris and Woodson as a player. He looked like a starting caliber corner for sure, and maybe even one of the better ones. Teams came after him, and he responded.

He was not nearly as good filling in last year, and has not been yet this pre-season. It now looks that he can be OK as a starter when you need him to be, but I'm not sure he is good enough for the full time role for the future. I know lots of teams would love to have him in place of the starters they have, as would the Packers of 5-6 years ago. But you really need better play than he has given the Packers of recent.

I want him on the Packers, but I wish it were as the nickel back, not a starting corner.

Tony Oday
08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I think that year they moved Woodson over the number 1 WR and Tramon played the two guy...now he is over the number 1 guy and Woodson is EVERYWHERE else.

I could be wrong but that is what I thought I saw. Harris is a big hole to fill because damn if he wasnt glamorous he stopped number 1s all the time.

denverYooper
08-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I liked the quote from Shields...

CB Sam Shields on his INT: "“The route that they ran, they ran it three times in a row. The first time they threw it, it got batted, so he ran it again, and I got my head around me, and the ball was right there.

It shows that he's paying attention to what's going on within the game and that there's more to his game than just his speed. It'll be interesting to see where he gets to with more experience and film study.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Tramon is a solid player. There are about two shutdown corners in the league. Even Woodson and Harris have had awful games. Look around the league. There aren't that many good corners. Tramon still makes big plays. He was in the top 20 amongst corners last year in both interceptions and pass deflections. He's not a Pro Bowler, but I have confidence in him. He's going to give up receptions, but I don't worry about him like I've worried about some of other corners we've had over the years. To me, he's kind of like Tyrone Williams. He'd have some awful games, he'd give up some receptions, but generally he'd play solid and he'd always end up with 4-5 interceptions and good return yardage on them.

bobblehead
08-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Tramon is a solid player. There are about two shutdown corners in the league. Even Woodson and Harris have had awful games. Look around the league. There aren't that many good corners. Tramon still makes big plays. He was in the top 20 amongst corners last year in both interceptions and pass deflections. He's not a Pro Bowler, but I have confidence in him. He's going to give up receptions, but I don't worry about him like I've worried about some of other corners we've had over the years. To me, he's kind of like Tyrone Williams. He'd have some awful games, he'd give up some receptions, but generally he'd play solid and he'd always end up with 4-5 interceptions and good return yardage on them.

a good pass rush turn williams into a pro bowler

Patler
08-27-2010, 12:05 PM

I'm not just looking at a bad game, and I don't dislike him. Looking at his entire play in 2008, 2009 and so far this year, Williams is not the player that he looked like he might be two years ago. He was not as good in 2009 as he was in 2008. This year looks more like 2009, not like 2008.

Is he capable of some great plays, some great games? Sure, I think so. Will he be OK, and better than what Sherman drafted? No doubt. The Tyrone Williams comparison might be a good one. A solid guy that will have a good career, but dang, you just wish he was a little more consistent, just a little better so he could be, well, like Al Harris. Not a perennial All-Pro, but a sometimes All-Pro and a guy the receivers worry about playing against.

Some fans wanted TT to pay Williams like Harris, because they seemed to think he was just as good. It does not look like he is. He's a notch below. I still like Williams, but I wish he was just a little bit better so that the receivers know they have to work for every single reception.

Pugger
08-27-2010, 02:35 PM

They really went after Tramon and wanted nothing to do with Woodson. But this is good! Any good reps TW gets will only make him better and these preseason games are the perfect place for these 'lessons' to take place.

Deputy Nutz
08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Harvey, didn't mention anything about the Vikings corners, but now that you mention it the Vikings secondary is probably a bit weaker than the Packers, but is automatically up graded because the Vikings get pressure with the front four.

Williams got handled against on of the top five receivers in the game last night, and with Peyton Manning throwing the ball it was a very long half for Tramon. Williams isn't nearly as physical as Woodson or Harris, and his coverage skills are about average for this league, maybe a little on the plus side. The Packers should be happy to have him as their third corner, but with him and two aging corners ahead of him where are the Packers going to be in two years? I was bit suprised that Thompson didn't address the lack of corner depth on this team and decided to rely on Underwood, Lee, Bush, and now Shields. Right now I can't see any of them deserving of a starting spot, now or in the future. Maybe Shield but this fella is extra raw.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I brought the Vikings up for comparison's sake because I'm very familiar with them. I'd guess that if you took a look around the NFL, most teams have a similar makeup. A few solid veterans and a few unproven young guys. Yes, Woodson and Harris are old, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Who knows? Maybe Thompson will spend a first round pick on a corner when they need one, or perhaps he'd even sign a free agent corner like Charles Woodson. Right now, I think the corners are solid, if Harris comes back. Like you said, they'd be better with a better pass rush.

I can't blame them for not drafting a corner in the first 2-3 rounds because OT and DE (with Jolly's impending suspension) was as big of a need as corner. (And our third round pick looks like he was a good one.) I would have liked for them to take a CB or OLB in the middle rounds, but who knows? Perhaps Thompson and our scouts weren't enamored with what was available at the time, so he didn't reach.

Patler
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I can't blame them for not drafting a corner in the first 2-3 rounds because OT and DE (with Jolly's impending suspension) was as big of a need as corner. (And our third round pick looks like he was a good one.) I would have liked for them to take a CB or OLB in the middle rounds, but who knows? Perhaps Thompson and our scouts weren't enamored with what was available at the time, so he didn't reach.

Agreed. If they draft players that help at other positions, it is hard to criticize or complain about not bolstering a different position. You only have a few picks each year that can really be counted on to produce legitimate prospects, and even those are a bit of a crap shoot with injuries, attitudes and flat out mistakes always possible.

How much different would the team be if Harrell and Lee both were playing as hoped, or even just as competent role players with solid game day experience from 2 or 3 years in the league?

Several reporters have mentioned that Lee is very rusty, and not playing nearly as well as he was last training camp. Has he just sat too much to ever get back there?

Fritz
08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I liked the quote from Shields...

CB Sam Shields on his INT: "“The route that they ran, they ran it three times in a row. The first time they threw it, it got batted, so he ran it again, and I got my head around me, and the ball was right there.

It shows that he's paying attention to what's going on within the game and that there's more to his game than just his speed. It'll be interesting to see where he gets to with more experience and film study.

What does he mean, exactly? I see visions of Linda Blair.

pbmax
08-27-2010, 06:46 PM
What I would like to know is why Lee was third of the backups on the field? Was it because the prefer Underwood in the slot or Shields wide, while Lee is choice number two at each spot? Or is he on the outside looking in?

I was stunned Underwood started in the nickel, only because I thought they would want to take a look at something besides Underdog with the ones. But with Jones, Matthews, Harris and Bigby out, maybe they thought there would be enough backups and changes on the field.

Fritz
08-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I am no expert but in my limited viewing my sense is that Underwood has looked awful at times, Shields is as raw as hamburger, and Lee has been kinda okay.

He has the most time in the system, right? Or at least on an NFL roster, even if only studying.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2010, 11:43 PM
THUMBS UP

If three exhibition games mean anything, and in this case they most assuredly do, TE Jermichael Finley isn't going to be spending much time standing next to coach Mike McCarthy. He's too good. He must be on the field. Unfortunately for one of the NFL's premier corps of wide receivers, that means some of its members will get less playing time than they deserve. Take Jordy Nelson. In 12 snaps of seven-on-seven on Monday, Nelson was the leader of the Big Four with two receptions. The third-year man probably has made more plays down the field than Greg Jennings, Donald Driver or James Jones, although Jones would be close. Nelson has scarcely dropped a pass, seems immune to traffic over the middle and appears to be more precise on his entire route tree. But Jones has played as well if not better. Against the Colts, McCarthy and position coach Jimmy Robinson started Jones rather than Nelson when Jennings' back rendered him unavailable. Finley and the Big Four could use more than one football.
THUMBS DOWN

For the second morning in a row, rookie Sam Shields took every rep at left cornerback with the No. 1 nickel defense. For this week, at least, veterans Pat Lee and Jarrett Bush are out of the picture, and Brandon Underwood is sidelined with a shoulder injury. Joe Whitt, the CB coach, has been "coaching up" Shields since he signed right after the draft. On Monday, Whitt stood in his customary location 45 yards deep in the secondary and watched every move Shields made. Undoubtedly the worst moment of the practice came early on in team when Shields stayed short as Brett Swain raced right past him on a go route. It's hard to say what the coverage was, but by Whitt's reaction it was apparent that Shields was supposed to have gone with him. The bomb to Swain was overthrown; otherwise, it would have been a 60-yard TD. Later, Shields broke on a flat pass to TE Tom Crabtree and arrived a split-second late so Crabtree was able to turn up the sideline for what would have been a 20-yard gain. Whitt applauded the aggressive play by his pupil. And later still, WR Patrick Williams tried to run a 15-yard comeback and Shields was all over him for an incompletion. Can talent trump inexperience? The Packers might be ready to roll the dice and find out.

pbmax
08-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Remember the year Barbre was all set to unseat Colledge and then we never heard boo about him til he was moved to a different position? Pat Lee has had that exact same camp.

get louder at lambeau
08-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Remember the year Barbre was all set to unseat Colledge and then we never heard boo about him til he was moved to a different position? Pat Lee has had that exact same camp.

Unfortunately, Bulaga kinda did too.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2010, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately, Bulaga kinda did too.

I don't think so. He was having an excellent camp. He played very well the first two preseason games. Unfortunately, he got the injury. Colledge had a solid camp, and it tells me something that Bulaga was ready to unseat him anyways without the injury.

Deputy Nutz
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I brought the Vikings up for comparison's sake because I'm very familiar with them. I'd guess that if you took a look around the NFL, most teams have a similar makeup. A few solid veterans and a few unproven young guys. Yes, Woodson and Harris are old, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Who knows? Maybe Thompson will spend a first round pick on a corner when they need one, or perhaps he'd even sign a free agent corner like Charles Woodson. Right now, I think the corners are solid, if Harris comes back. Like you said, they'd be better with a better pass rush.

I can't really argue with the first three picks that Thompson made, it is all relavant to the big board anyways, but the Packers certainly had a need at corner with Harris being injured and 35 years old. Tramon is an average starter in this league at best and having no proven players behind Tramon and Woodson would lead me to believe there was a need there whether it was addressed by free agency or the draft.

retailguy
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
You only get 7 selections. It is really tough to fill all the needs, especially considering that only half make it.

Choice number 2 perplexed most of us at the time, but in hindsight, they must have known Jolly wouldn't be available. So, you can't really argue with how the draft board went down.

Lee and Underwood have been disappointing, but one of them has to step up. Shields is just not ready. Having him in the dime would be bad enough, but in the nickel? No thanks.

At this point, I'm wondering if Bush doesn't wind up as our nickel back?

Fritz
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
You only get 7 selections. It is really tough to fill all the needs, especially considering that only half make it.

Choice number 2 perplexed most of us at the time, but in hindsight, they must have known Jolly wouldn't be available. So, you can't really argue with how the draft board went down.

Lee and Underwood have been disappointing, but one of them has to step up. Shields is just not ready. Having him in the dime would be bad enough, but in the nickel? No thanks.

At this point, I'm wondering if Bush doesn't wind up as our nickel back?

I completely agree with this statement. If you're TT, you've got to be looking at this as having two young guys - one a second rounder - who ought to be stepping up this year. One's a second year guy, the other a second rounder who has had a chance to study the defensive scheme even though he didn't get a chance to play in it last year.

I can imagine one of them failing to make the grade, but both of them not taking the next step? Damn.

rbaloha1
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
SS appears the best option. The whole situation makes me nervous and could be an early nightmare like the o-line from last season.

Spreading out the Packers works well. The applicable stats from last season's defense are the numbers against the elite qbs.

There is a blue print on how to beat Caper's scheme.

ThunderDan
09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I think if Dom changes his coverage up in the 3-4 you can hide some of the problems.

The Manning int was a good example. PMann knew where his open WR would be but just before the snap the slot CB moved in to blitz, Burnett came up to cover the slot and Collins rolled over to that side of the field. The outside receiver 1-on-1 on the slant was still the throw. Burnett bumped the slot and jumped the outside slant. Collins coming over now had the slot. The open passing lane that PMann expected, and had to release quickly because of the blitz, now had Burnett right in the middle of it.

This is one of the reason I really like the 3-4, it is pretty easy to disguise the coverage with 3 DL and the 1 or 2 LBs who could be coming from any of 4 positions plus zone blitzes and dropping DL off the line.

rbaloha1
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I think if Dom changes his coverage up in the 3-4 you can hide some of the problems.

The Manning int was a good example. PMann knew where his open WR would be but just before the snap the slot CB moved in to blitz, Burnett came up to cover the slot and Collins rolled over to that side of the field. The outside receiver 1-on-1 on the slant was still the throw. Burnett bumped the slot and jumped the outside slant. Collins coming over now had the slot. The open passing lane that PMann expected, and had to release quickly because of the blitz, now had Burnett right in the middle of it.

This is one of the reason I really like the 3-4 it is pretty easy to disguise the coverage with 3 DL and the 1 or 2 LBs who could be coming from any of 4 positions plus zone blitzes and dropping DL off the line.

Agreed. But for some reason the top tier qbs know who is blitzing when receivers are in 3-4 wr sets.

Still notice confusion in the secondary.

mission
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
The whole situation makes me nervous and could be an early nightmare like the o-line from last season.

Just posted this as a possibility elsewhere and then read your post. It's a little scary, yes. If Capers is who he gets credit for being, I hope he's able to scheme his way out of it. As long as it doesn't involve a halftime adjustment, he's got a chance of coming through for us... or Burnett turns into an INT machine and we never have to worry about it. :D

Fritz
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
If they could get a giant Harry Potter invisibility cloak none of this would be a problem.

hoosier
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I am looking for a silver lining in the Packers secondary troubles....At least they won't be going into the regular season having convinced themselves that they're invincible. And maybe, if Bush and Lee see themselves being painted as weak links in an otherwise contending team, that will light a fire under their arses.

ThunderDan
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM

This is one of the reason I really like the 3-4 it is pretty easy to disguise the coverage with 3 DL and the 1 or 2 LBs who could be coming from any of 4 positions plus zone blitzes and dropping DL off the line.

Agreed. But for some reason the top tier qbs know who is blitzing when receivers are in 3-4 wr sets.

Still notice confusion in the secondary.

Well .... they did it to Peyton Manning so I assume they can confuse the top tier QBs.

I agree that the D needs to be on the same page to make it work. I think the D needs to pick their CBs and let them play together.

Fritz
09-01-2010, 07:04 PM

This is one of the reason I really like the 3-4, it is pretty easy to disguise the coverage with 3 DL and the 1 or 2 LBs who could be coming from any of 4 positions plus zone blitzes and dropping DL off the line.

So are you saying they're going to have to shield Sam?

Joemailman
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I would expect plenty of blitzing at Philly. An inexperienced QB going up against inexperienced Packer nickel/dime backs.