PDA

View Full Version : "The Packers are a great screen team."

Lurker64
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
"The Packers run every kind of screen from every kind of angle"
-Gruden

Praising the Packers aptitude with screen passes seems to be something that national broadcasters do every single time the Packers run a screen pass, regardless of how successful the screen pass was or how long it's been since the last one.

From what I can tell, this hasn't actually been true since the days where Mike Sherman was winning a whole lot of games with this squad.

Is the national media going to catch on to the fact that this isn't true before it becomes true again? I wonder how many other teams are saddled with reputations of things they used to do well (or poorly) that have no bearing on what is actually true about the team.

red
08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
"The Packers run every kind of screen from every kind of angle"
-Gruden

Praising the Packers aptitude with screen passes seems to be something that national broadcasters do every single time the Packers run a screen pass, regardless of how successful the screen pass was or how long it's been since the last one.

From what I can tell, this hasn't actually been true since the days where Mike Sherman was winning a whole lot of games with this squad.

Is the national media going to catch on to the fact that this isn't true before it becomes true again? I wonder how many other teams are saddled with reputations of things they used to do well (or poorly) that have no bearing on what is actually true about the team.

i think it goes further back to the holmgren years

its just been like a myth ever since.

but you're right. that one time a game we run it we become the greatest screen team of all time

Joemailman
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Packers haven't been a screen team since Grant replaced Green as the starting RB.
Of course, Gruden called Grant Dorsey Levens tonight, so maybe he's just feeling nostalgic.

RashanGary
08-26-2010, 08:53 PM
They've had two amazing screens this offseason. I've seen borderline ones, but this preseason, they've had two perfect ones.

Little Whiskey
08-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Jaws was also saying somthing about a qb not being great until he has jewlery. guess Marino was just an average qb. dumbass.

also, enjoyed them singing praises to manning calling him the greatest ever.......then he throws a pick!

Tony Oday
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Jaws was also saying somthing about a qb not being great until he has jewlery. guess Marino was just an average qb. dumbass.

also, enjoyed them singing praises to manning calling him the greatest ever.......then he throws a pick!

to a rookie :)

Lurker64
08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
i think it goes further back to the holmgren years

its just been like a myth ever since.

but you're right. that one time a game we run it we become the greatest screen team of all time

Yeah, you're right. We were an average screen team under Sherman (not great, not bad) but we haven't been a really good screen team since Holmgren. I wonder how long this bit of conventional "wisdom" is going to last.

Fritz
08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I iked Ron Jaworski...until tonight. He doesn't seem very adept.

Gruden needs to shut up. Whatever happened to two announcers, actually calling the game and giving occasional insights?

And did he and Gruden talk about Bob Sanders for forty minutes in that first half? Wow.

Tony Oday
08-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Gruden needs to shut up. Whatever happened to two announcers, actually calling the game and giving occasional insights?

And did he and Gruden talk about Bob Sanders for forty minutes in that first half? Wow.

Bob Sanders? Never heard that name more than 3,482 times, what are you talking about ;)

Fritz
08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
So Matt Flynn throws a screen and the announcers go off again. Yessir, they are one great screen team. Yessir.

Brohm
08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
With Dorsey Levens we are!!

gbgary
08-26-2010, 10:23 PM
gruden and jaws suck. everyone is a hall-of-famer. the hype level is off the charts.

sharpe1027
08-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Edgar Bennett must have switch Jerseys. I saw him run a nice screen, but he had on #32.

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Edgar Bennett must have switch Jerseys. I saw him run a nice screen, but he had on #32.

Never been a fan of that announcing team, but I chalked it up to the preseason. I totally agree with the screen team. Also, just like madden used to mess his shorts over Favre, there seemed to be a lot of that about Rodgers too. And about sanders. I hope they had kleenex handy.

Pugger
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM

But Gruden was getting rather embarassing with his glowing love for Rodgers all night long. It reminded me of Madden cooing over Favre. :P

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2010, 02:45 PM
But Gruden was getting rather embarassing with his glowing love for Rodgers all night long. It reminded me of Madden cooing over Favre. :P

(see post directly before yours) :wink: