PDA

View Full Version : OT Josh Bourke tackles opportunity

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Posted August 3, 2006

Bourke tackles opportunity

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Almost every training camp, a player comes seemingly out of nowhere to make the Green Bay Packers' 53-man roster.

Last year, for example, linebacker Roy Manning and offensive lineman Chris White made the team as undrafted free agents.

This year, undrafted rookie offensive tackle Josh Bourke is in position to do the same.

"I think, physically, he has a lot of potential," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Any time you get a rookie to come in and step in and play as many snaps as he had at left tackle, it's a great opportunity for him. It's good for us, because we have a potential (opening at) left tackle. Left tackles are hard to find in this league. He has that kind of ability."

With Chad Clifton nursing a knee injury and Adrian Klemm out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon, Bourke has spent much of training camp working with the second team at left tackle.

"We were talking about his development between the first minicamp and now, and it's light-years of difference," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "We haven't been in a game yet, but I'm really pleased with the stuff that he's done. He makes a lot of rookie mistakes, but young guys make mistakes."

Bourke hopes to take advantage of the increased number of repetitions.

"It's been a great opportunity, but obviously, I still have a lot to learn," Bourke said. "I'm getting a lot of work, and I'm certainly very happy about that."

Chuck Martin, who coached Bourke at Grand Valley State, a NCAA Division II school in Allendale, Mich., said he's not surprised Bourke, a first-team All-American as a senior, is turning heads.

"By the time he left Grand Valley, he could have been playing at one of the major (colleges)," Martin said. "He could have been starting at Michigan or Wisconsin or any of those great schools."

With one look at the 6-foot-7, 314-pound native of Tecumseh, Ontario, it's easy to wonder why he was playing Division II football.

"When people ask me that, I tell them, well, you didn't see him five years ago," Martin said with a laugh. "He was about 6-6 and 230 pounds. He had a huge frame, but he just hadn't filled out yet."

Bourke's team reached the Division II national championship game all four years he played, falling in the title game in 2001 before winning in 2002, 2003 and 2005. Bourke missed the 2004 season after he blew out a knee, which he thinks is one reason he went undrafted.

"I think it was a combination of that and playing at a small school," Bourke said. "I had proved that my knee was 100 percent, but teams are hesitant to take guys from some of the smaller schools because we haven't played against top competition."

Jagodzinski was attracted to Bourke's mobility and flexibility.

"He can bend and he can get underneath people," Jagod-zinski said. "For as tall as he is, it's unusual for a guy to be able to do that."

Bourke said he was pleased to hear the coaching staff heap praise on him, but insisted he's not letting himself think about making the team.

"I'm just trying to go out there and do the best I can," Bourke said. "I'm really trying not to think about it. It would be great, but I know I have a long way to go."

Martin said he won't be surprised if Bourke finds himself on a NFL roster in September.

"He was a dominant player for us," Martin said. "I know he's capable of making an NFL team. I know everyone here is rooting for him."

While it's early, Jagodzinski said Bourke will have every opportunity to make the Packers roster.

"For a guy who came in as an undrafted free agent, I'm impressed with what he's done," Jagodzinski said. "If we can make sure he's on point as far as getting his assignments and all that, he's going to have a chance for us."

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at dtomlins@postcrescent.com

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh CAN A DA.

Hoping for him - as is every Canadian football fan.

Jon Ryan " of course " too.

Many many Packer fans in the community that I live in. :mrgreen:

HOLD THE FAITH - GO PACKERS IN 2006 !!

Lare
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
It helps Bourke's chances just by the fact we have some serious issues at LT right now. Klemm is done, Clifton is coming off of knee surgery and Whitticker is struggling there.

Heck, if Clifton can't go I say give Bourke a shot. One more rookie starting on the OL isn't going to make that much difference.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 10:54 PM
It helps Bourke's chances just by the fact we have some serious issues at LT right now. Klemm is done, Clifton is coming off of knee surgery and Whitticker is struggling there.

Heck, if Clifton can't go I say give Bourke a shot. One more rookie starting on the OL isn't going to make that much difference.

Yes. As I see it - he's found himself at the right place at the right time.

KEEP THE FAITH - GO PACKERS !!

run pMc
08-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Nice story...thanks for posting.

It will be interesting to see how the LT battle shakes out. If Clifton doesn't heal up, I'd be worried about starting 3 rookies on the OL though.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Nice story...thanks for posting.

It will be interesting to see how the LT battle shakes out. If Clifton doesn't heal up, I'd be worried about starting 3 rookies on the OL though.

Chad Clifton is a certain concern to me. Knee.

ND72
08-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Bourke was the guy monday who threw up like 5 times during practice.

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Good. A cold weather player. :razz:

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Good. A cold weather player. :razz:

No Ziggy. Canadians love their beer . . . . and Pizza!