PDA

View Full Version : Not football, but what a shock!

Patler
08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
No one frequents the Brewer page much anymore, or any of the others, so I put this here to get reactions (until it gets moved! :lol: )

Rookie pitching phenom Stephen Strasburgh has a torn elbow ligament and will likely under "Tommie John" surgery. It will put him on the shelf for 12-18 months.

The kid has 92 strikeouts in 68 innings, and a 2.91 ERA.
The Nationals have been extremely careful with his pitch counts, trying to prevent injuries.

The success rate with this surgery has gotten to be very good, but recovery is long. What a blow to this kid so early in his career. He had certainly lived up to the hype before he was drafted.

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I live in DC and there has been an aura of horror and dread around all day long. Seems to be a good kid with a lot of talent, so this really sucks.

Patler
08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I live in DC and there has been an aura of horror and dread around all day long. Seems to be a good kid with a lot of talent, so this really sucks.

I can imagine the reaction. One of the few bright spots they have, and he looked as solid as could be. A dominant pitcher in the making.

Now, two seasons before you can hope to see him again, and who knows how long after that to regain what he had.

Spaulding
08-27-2010, 01:30 PM
The excitement he was generating was great for baseball and especially for the horror that has been the Nationals the last few years.

Reminds me of Mark Prior even though Prior was handled so poorly with his pitch count and Strasburg has been given the glove treatment

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
And in other sucky baseball news

Brewers' Gallardo robbed at gunpoint hours after loss

CBSSports.com wire reports
Aug. 27, 2010
MILWAUKEE -- Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo and a clubhouse attendant were robbed at gunpoint early Friday, hours after the Milwaukee ace pitched in a loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes confirmed that Gallardo and Alex Sanchez were robbed, but both were doing fine and did not want to discuss the incident.

A police spokeswoman did not immediately return messages seeking details.

According to WTMJ-AM, an armed man approached the two in a supermarket parking lot demanding money and jewelry and that Sanchez was hit in the head, but not seriously injured.

Gallardo signed a $30.1 million, five-year contract extension earlier this year. He's 11-6 with a 3.50 ERA in 25 starts, but has struggled recently and lost 7-1 to Los Angeles on Thursday.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13831061/brewers-gallardo-robbed-at-gunpoint-hours-after-loss

Patler
08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Ya, I was thinking about Prior, too. The Nationals tried to make sure they didn't make the mistakes with Strasburg that the Cubs did with Prior.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes, it smells like Mark Prior again. What a pitcher he was before the injuries.

Hopefully, he can have a time frame similar to his teammate, Jordan Zimmerman. Zimmerman just came back after 13 months. He got rocked in his first start, but reports were favorable about his outings in the minors (where he dominated with a 1.53 ERA).

red
08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
never heard of him

baseball blows ass

Little Whiskey
08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I heard about strasburgh today too. really hope he comes back. he was fun to watch the games that he played. Not sure you can say he lived up to his hype with such a short showing. (the same reason i didn't think he was all star worthy). he had good stuff, but teams hadn't seen him much. it would've been interesting to see how he held up for a full season.

Pugger
08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
And in other sucky baseball news

Brewers' Gallardo robbed at gunpoint hours after loss

CBSSports.com wire reports
Aug. 27, 2010
MILWAUKEE -- Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo and a clubhouse attendant were robbed at gunpoint early Friday, hours after the Milwaukee ace pitched in a loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes confirmed that Gallardo and Alex Sanchez were robbed, but both were doing fine and did not want to discuss the incident.

A police spokeswoman did not immediately return messages seeking details.

According to WTMJ-AM, an armed man approached the two in a supermarket parking lot demanding money and jewelry and that Sanchez was hit in the head, but not seriously injured.

Gallardo signed a $30.1 million, five-year contract extension earlier this year. He's 11-6 with a 3.50 ERA in 25 starts, but has struggled recently and lost 7-1 to Los Angeles on Thursday.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13831061/brewers-gallardo-robbed-at-gunpoint-hours-after-loss

:shock:

Patler
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I heard about strasburgh today too. really hope he comes back. he was fun to watch the games that he played. Not sure you can say he lived up to his hype with such a short showing. (the same reason i didn't think he was all star worthy). he had good stuff, but teams hadn't seen him much. it would've been interesting to see how he held up for a full season.

I was definitely against the All-star suggestions for Strasburg as well.

I would agree that he hasn't proved that the hype was accurate, it takes a while to do that. But in the time available so far, he has lived up to it. He has been as good as they said he would be. Whether he could have or can continue to do so is a completely different question. So far, he has been as billed, a strikeout pitcher with great control, 68 innings, 92 strikeouts, just 17 walks.

A lot different than the athlete who supposedly is "ready to play" then comes up and is over-matched.

mission
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
He'll come back strong. Tommy Johns is a lot different than a shoulder surgery. It sucks because the recovery time is so long (18 months) but these guys typically come back stronger and better than ever. Unfortunate to hear this from a baseball perspective... the Nats were excited about their young club.

Tim Hudson is in his first full year back from TJS and he's putting up near-Cy Young numbers (way better than pre-injury). The Braves were 15-1 in games when rookie Chris Medlen started before he got the exact same injury as Strasburg a few weeks ago. He'll be back, plus we got to see Mike Minor come up and strikeout 12 looking like Tommy Glavine.

Tough news, but the kid should still be scary good and there was nothing the Nationals did to bring this on him. The exact opposite.

Fritz
08-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, that dude had one wicked curveball. I'd like to see him make it back, but I was bummed when I heard. And the Nationals - they were a clown of an organization, and now it's bad luck.

pbmax
08-27-2010, 06:48 PM
And another death blow is dealt to the announcing career of Rob Dibble. He thought Strasburg needed to learn to pitch through pain.

Its no wonder Dibble is still having surgeries on his elbow and shoulder.

Brandon494
08-27-2010, 08:24 PM
It sucks that he will have to miss next season but his career is no where close to being over.

I heard today that 9 pitchers in this years All-Star game have had Tommy Johns surgery so I have faith he'll come back strong.

Patler
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
It sucks that he will have to miss next season but his career is no where close to being over.

I heard today that 9 pitchers in this years All-Star game have had Tommy Johns surgery so I have faith he'll come back strong.

I don't think anyone suggested his career is over. Heck, Chris Capuano has had the surgery twice. But it sure ruins a nice start to his career, and robs the Nationals of their biggest story and biggest draw.

MichiganPackerFan
08-28-2010, 10:46 AM

I don't think anyone suggested his career is over. Heck, Chris Capuano has had the surgery twice. But it sure ruins a nice start to his career, and robs the Nationals of their biggest story and biggest draw.

They've only been in DC for 5 years. They sold out his first couple of games, but I think it takes a while to build up a fan following, especially with the Capitals and Skins here. A couple years of being somewhat competitive would do wonders. Its a decent stadium with good metro access.

bobblehead
08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
He'll come back strong. Tommy Johns is a lot different than a shoulder surgery. It sucks because the recovery time is so long (18 months) but these guys typically come back stronger and better than ever. Unfortunate to hear this from a baseball perspective... the Nats were excited about their young club.

Tim Hudson is in his first full year back from TJS and he's putting up near-Cy Young numbers (way better than pre-injury). The Braves were 15-1 in games when rookie Chris Medlen started before he got the exact same injury as Strasburg a few weeks ago. He'll be back, plus we got to see Mike Minor come up and strikeout 12 looking like Tommy Glavine.

Tough news, but the kid should still be scary good and there was nothing the Nationals did to bring this on him. The exact opposite.

What you said. Shoulder injuries are disastorous. Chris Young, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Brandon Webb, and I could go on for a page.

Elbow is very different. I can do the same thing the other way with guys who bounced back. Tim Hudson, Shawn Marcum, Jordan Zimmerman, Edison Volquez, CJ Wilson, and I could go on just as long.

The kid will come back and be right up there with Clemens and Ryan as the greatest pitchers I have seen in my lifetime.

Joemailman
08-29-2010, 10:32 AM
And another death blow is dealt to the announcing career of Rob Dibble. He thought Strasburg needed to learn to pitch through pain.

Its no wonder Dibble is still having surgeries on his elbow and shoulder.

What Dibble said:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/101731733.html

Former major-league pitcher and now broadcaster Rob Dibble booked himself into the presidential suite at the Missing the Mark Hotel last week. He had an entire floor to himself.

Dibble is the analyst for Washington Nationals games on Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and he has a baseball talk show on Sirius XM Satellite Radio.

On his radio show, Dibble questioned the toughness of Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg after the rookie complained his arm was hurting during a game he pitched against the Philadelphia Phillies on Aug. 21.

"OK, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer?" Dibble said. "Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can't have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow."

Dibble said Strasburg should "stop crying, go out there and pitch, period" and that Strasburg needs "to know the difference between pain and injury."

On Friday, the Nationals announced that Strasburg had a torn ligament in his right elbow that will require Tommy John surgery and could be sidelined for up to 18 months.

Nationals officials were not pleased by Dr. Dibble's initial diagnosis.

Dibble (who pitched for the Brewers in 1995) did not work the telecasts of a few Nationals games.

The president of the Nationals, Stan Kasten, told the Washington Post: "Rob asked for some time off. Perhaps he's not feeling well. But I'm not a doctor, nor have I seen his records. So I shouldn't say anything more about it."

MJZiggy
08-29-2010, 12:21 PM

They've only been in DC for 5 years. They sold out his first couple of games, but I think it takes a while to build up a fan following, especially with the Capitals and Skins here. A couple years of being somewhat competitive would do wonders. Its a decent stadium with good metro access.

Those first couple games were the first the Nats ever sold out. They didn't even sell out with the "new team hype." We're too close to the Os and folks here have been following the Os for too long to just abandon them for the Nats. Strasburg is their best chance to do some of that.