PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
What is the latest on him? Has anyone heard anything? I want him playing week one!

gbgary
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
What is the latest on him? Has anyone heard anything? I want him playing week one!

would be great if he's able. you just know he's busting his ass to make it. has anyone actually seen him in a practice yet?

MJZiggy
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM

I only want him playing if they're not massively risking reinjury. Even if they're not, only for a while.

Brandon494
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I hope we put him on the PUP and don't rush him.

Our first six games are agaisnt Eagles, Bills, Bears, Lions, Skins, and Fins. Only the Eagles have a strong passing attack out of those six teams and I think we'll be ok to give him extra time to heal.

get louder at lambeau
08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I hope we put him on the PUP and don't rush him.

Our first six games are agaisnt Eagles, Bills, Bears, Lions, Skins, and Fins. Only the Eagles have a strong passing attack out of those six teams and I think we'll be ok to give him extra time to heal.

That's a good point about the passing attacks, and we could certainly use the roster spot. I just hope (if it happens) it still looks like a good idea after week one is over. Starting 0-1 would suck.

Joemailman
08-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I'll be very surprised if they put Al on PUP at the start of the season. Players on the PUP list cannot practice, so it could be 8 weeks before he is ready to play. Carrying Al on the 53 man roster for a couple of weeks isn't a problem. You're gonna have 8 inactives every week anyway.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
You're gonna have 8 inactives every week anyway.

Good point.

rbaloha1
08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
We need AH. TW gets beat too often and shall be a target like Bush.

Blitzing does not work against quick passes.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2010, 04:04 PM
packernews answered my question..................

packersnews.com

No one came out and directly said it, but reading between the lines, the best guess is cornerback Al Harris won’t be ready for the regular season opener against Philadelphia, but might be ready to play sometime before Week 7.

I asked coach Mike McCarthy if he has ruled out Harris for the season opener. He replied: ”I haven’t ruled him out to making our 53-man roster.”

Harris has missed all of training camp after having reconstuctive knee surgery late last year. If the Packers place Harris on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, he won’t be eligible to play until Week 7, which is Oct. 24 against Minnesota. McCarthy seemed to indicate he would like Harris on the roster to start the season. That way, even if Harris can’t answer the bell vs. Philadelphia, he would be available sometime in the first six weeks.

“Al is doing well,” said McCarthy. “Al is doing very well. He is hitting the targets that they are looking for with the medical staff. He has made a lot of progress.

“He’s getting close.”

Harris didn’t shed much light on when he might be ready to play. When asked about his status, Harris said: ”Just waiting man, not going to step out there too early, not going to step out there too late, so just got to do what I gotta do for me to personally feel right and make the organization feel right. I won’t step out there and ruin my reputation or I won’t step out there to do anything detrimental to the team. We’re just taking it day by day. See how it feels and listen to the knee.”

When asked if it would be disappointing to start the season on the PUP list, Harris said: ”No. Honestly at this point in my career or what not I just want to be healthy and I want to be the same guy that left the field in Week 11. That’s all I’m concerned about.”

Harris suffered his knee injury on Nov. 22 against San Francisco at Lambeau Field.

He said “there’s always hope” when asked about the possibility of playing in the season opener.

“Through this whole process everybody’s been extremely supportive and they pretty much told me to do what I need to do to get right,” Harris said. “At this point it wouldn’t be fair to them or me to do anything else but that. That’s how I’m taking it. When I feel good enough to play, then that’s when you guys will see me.”

Translation: Harris doesn’t want to return too early, which likely means the season opener. And he doesn’t want to return too late, which likely means Week 7. Thus, he should be back in either late September or early October.

red
08-29-2010, 04:20 PM
al tried and failed a physical last week, we'll try again sometime early this week.

if he passes that then he starts practicing , but he's gonna take some time to get into game shape

so i take that as a sign that he's very close

Fritz
08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
This doesn't speak well for Underwood, Shields, Bush and Lee. If one or two of them hd really shined bright, the team would have put Al Harris on the PUP so they could give the up-and-comers an extended tryout.

Shields looks like he's getting a serious look at the nickel spot. This does not say much for Underwear or Lee. Or Bush. But that seems to go without saying.

Joemailman
08-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Underwood has probably been the biggest disappointment of the preseason IMO. The guy just doesn't seem to make adjustments very quickly, if at all. Shields may be as raw as sushi, but he seems to be a fairly quick learner.

packerbacker1234
08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
While Al is going in with the right attitude, he has apparently been doing hte physical, which he needs to pass to start practice. He failed last week, but the fact he is taking it means any week now he could start practice. So we'll see how it goes.

He may not be ready week one or two, but he could be practicing by then, which sets him up for weeks 3 to 5 to get back in the game. Not too shabby.

RashanGary
08-29-2010, 08:23 PM
I'd like to see him practicing by week 2 or 3 and playing dime by week 4 or 5 and then nickle by week 6 or 7.

Tony Oday
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I do NOT want to see AL on the field before week 7

packerbacker1234
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I do NOT want to see AL on the field before week 7

If he is perfectly healthy, has had adequate time at practice, and is in the form he claims he wants to be in, which is that of what he was prior to the injury... and that is 2 to 3 weeks prior to week 7, why would you want to wait? Yes, the skins, aren't known for passing, but when was the last time they had a probowl QB with some miles left? They could be very dangerous this year. What if Kolb starts heating up by then?

I don't want him rushed out there, but when he is ready and able, I want him on the field. All indications show that will be BEFORE week 7, which is the big reason he wont be on the pup list. Even MM thinks he'll make the 53 man roster, so that means they plan on him being able to go sometime in the first 5 games.

The Leaper
08-30-2010, 09:53 PM
No reason for them to even try to get Harris on the field before week 7. As was already pointed out, we don't play any top flight passing offenses in the first part of the season.

Al's injury was very serious, especially at his age. Let him fully recover. I think putting him on the PUP is a very real possibility if he can't pass the physical before the cutdown. McCarthy isn't going to cut a healthy talented kid from the 53 man roster week one in favor of Al...who ain't going to be doing anything for this team for at least another month plus.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-30-2010, 09:58 PM
No reason for them to even try to get Harris on the field before week 7. As was already pointed out, we don't play any top flight passing offenses in the first part of the season.

Al's injury was very serious, especially at his age. Let him fully recover. I think putting him on the PUP is a very real possibility if he can't pass the physical before the cutdown. McCarthy isn't going to cut a healthy talented kid from the 53 man roster week one in favor of Al...who ain't going to be doing anything for this team for at least another month plus.

I guess that wouldn't be that bad. He still would play half the season. If we didn't need him so much I would actually be hoping for him to start on the pup list.

packerbacker1234
08-31-2010, 12:07 AM
#1 - I hate how were looking over the first 6 games and going "there is no real special passing attack there", not only that, as if all Harris did was impact the passing game.

#2 - we face Kolb, who had 2 300 yard games in a row last season (he has looked shaky, but with jackson and that RB, there are yards to be had by dink and dunking). After facing a philly team who traditionally racks up yards, we also have, in those first 6 games...

two probowl QB's. Jay Cutler looked bad last year, but he was a prowbowler as recently at 2008. The guy can throw the rock. There aren't great wr's in chicago, which makes harris even more important, because he can force guys off routes possibly better than anyone on our roster. He was a big reason we got so many turnovers against them last year.

We also face Mcnabb, who has simply ALWAYS been good. Maybe not always great, but always good. YEs he plays for the skins now, who if you check, has some decent options.

Santana Moss, Bobby Wade, Chris Cooley. Guys, this is a perrenial probowl QB. Who beat us up last season? Oh yeah, probowl caliber QB's.

Oh and did I mention? The three best QB's we face in that span are all on the road. Oh and whats waiting for him in Week 7? Oh just a man known as Brett Favre. Two weeks later? Tony Romo.

Our first part of our schedule is hardly easy. We paly the bad QB's at home, and the good ones on the road. We could very well be 3-3 by week 7. 3 - 4 after it.

Yes, everything seems good, we are a great team, but the begining of the schedule is hardly easy, and to overlook 3 extremely tough games on the road against QB's who, so far, sling that ball all over the place, is to be kidding ourselves. There is reason to bring harris back if he is ready before week 7, because we could be off to another slow start and be pissing away the division to the vikings early, yet again.

Tony Oday
08-31-2010, 12:33 AM
1. Eagles with Kolb not really that scared of that offense and NOT scared of the defense

2. Bills are just not good.

3. Bears on the road is always tough. They will really push our Offensive line and we need to expose their secondary

4. The lions are not scary on offense. They do have Megatron and well TWill will need saftey help

5. Skins-nobody knows what this team is really going to do this year. Hell McNabb could be hurt by this game

6. Dolphins are a run first team and that should play into our wheelhouse

If Harris needs the time you give it to him because we need him for the end of the year more than the start.

vince
08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Harris is reportedly headed for the PUP.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/packers-mike-mccarthy-worried-about-secondary-cb-al-harris-headed-to-pup-list/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheHuddle+%28Sports+-+The+Huddle%29

Packers' Mike McCarthy worried about secondary; CB Al Harris headed to PUP list

While Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is pleased with the confidence level of his team overall, especially the first-team offense that has scored seven touchdowns on 13 preseason possessions, he has concerns over the health and continuity of a banged-up secondary.

McCarthy acknowledged after practice Tuesday that he will place CB Al Harris on the team's physically unable to perform list, meaning Harris will miss at least the season's first six games as he continues to recover from season-ending knee surgery. The 35-year-old Harris injured his knee in a Week 11 meeting against the San Francisco 49ers.

"Al Harris is definitely getting better, he's getting close,'' McCarthy told USA TODAY. "But he's going to have to start the season on the PUP (physically unable to perform list).''

Tramon Williams will likely step in for Harris in Green Bay's Sept. 12 season opener against Philadelphia. S Atari Bigby has also been sidelined since ankle surgery early in training camp.

Concerns about the mix-and-match secondary that is starting third-round pick Morgan Burnett at Bigby's spot arose during Green Bay's 59-24 preseason throttling of the Indianapolis Colts. Nickel CB candidate Brandon Underwood has been sidelined by a shoulder injury and LBs Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Brad Jones (shoulder) have been sidelined as well.

McCarthy wants to see improved coverage and communication in the back end in Green Bay's preseason finale Thursday night against Kansas City.

"Defensively, we feel good about what we were able to put in and tailor to our players,'' McCarthy says. "But I can't deny the fact we haven't played good defense in the preseason. We don't have the continuity we would probably like because a number of our starters have been out because of injuries.

"We have to get that continuity for Philadelphia.''

-- Jim Corbett

denverYooper
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Harris is reportedly headed for the PUP.

We'll definitely miss him but I think we'll be better off having him out the first 6 and back for the last 13 down the stretch than we were with him at 10 and out for the last 7 last year. I'd much rather have the young guys cutting their teeth at the beginning of the year than down the stretch.

Fritz
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Pat Lee needs to take advantage of this. It looks like his last chance to step it up and stick. He's got to prove he's an NFL caliber cornerback.

Brandon494
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
1. Eagles with Kolb not really that scared of that offense and NOT scared of the defense

2. Bills are just not good.

3. Bears on the road is always tough. They will really push our Offensive line and we need to expose their secondary

4. The lions are not scary on offense. They do have Megatron and well TWill will need saftey help

5. Skins-nobody knows what this team is really going to do this year. Hell McNabb could be hurt by this game

6. Dolphins are a run first team and that should play into our wheelhouse

If Harris needs the time you give it to him because we need him for the end of the year more than the start.

exactly....our 2nd half schedule is a bitch

get louder at lambeau
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, that sucks. At least that means mission probably owes me $20 on our "Jarrett Bush will/won't make the roster" bet, so I can drink away the pain as the Philly WRs streak down the field.

red
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
shit

we now officially have a serious issue

vince
08-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, that sucks. At least that means mission probably owes me $20 on our "Jarrett Bush will/won't make the roster" bet, so I can drink away the pain as the Philly WRs streak down the field.La Cucaracha

pbmax
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Maybe we can play a D where Al just levels the Split End with his bump and then just stands there. If it isn't Owens or Plaxico, this should work for coverage.

get louder at lambeau
08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, that sucks. At least that means mission probably owes me $20 on our "Jarrett Bush will/won't make the roster" bet, so I can drink away the pain as the Philly WRs streak down the field.La Cucaracha

Ya damn straight. Year #5 for the undrafted cockroach is about to officailly begin.

The Leaper
08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
There is reason to bring harris back if he is ready before week 7, because we could be off to another slow start and be pissing away the division to the vikings early, yet again.

Perhaps.

But Harris is not going to be ready before week 7. He's coming off an injury that is career threatening...a couple jogs around the practice field hardly mean Al is ready for action. To be honest, if we see him in week 7, I think we can count ourselves fortunate.

Tony Oday
09-01-2010, 01:18 AM
There is reason to bring harris back if he is ready before week 7, because we could be off to another slow start and be pissing away the division to the vikings early, yet again.

Perhaps.

But Harris is not going to be ready before week 7. He's coming off an injury that is career threatening...a couple jogs around the practice field hardly mean Al is ready for action. To be honest, if we see him in week 7, I think we can count ourselves fortunate.

he can practice on the PUP right?

retailguy
09-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Perhaps.

No, he cannot practice until week 7

Little Whiskey
09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Perhaps.

can he practice against High Schoolers? thats all favre needed to stay game ready.

imscott72
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Look at the bright side. If we get Harris back week 8 or 9, he'll have fresh legs for the stretch run. Until then however, obviously the nickel situation is a problem.

pbmax
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Don't worry, its about that time of year. Grabby McSmurf will be available shortly.

get louder at lambeau
09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't worry, its about that time of year. Grabby McSmurf will be available shortly.

Ahmad Carrol?

retailguy
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Perhaps.

can he practice against High Schoolers? thats all favre needed to stay game ready.

He didn't look game ready to me... :wink: