PDA

View Full Version : Ask Howard Roark

mraynrand
09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Ask Howard Roark

Dear Howard,
Four years ago, I was engaged to be married to a wonderful women whom I loved very much. Before we were to be married, she insisted she first had to volunteer with the Peace Corps in Africa. After two years there, our engagement fell through. I subsequently met a nice woman. We have been dating for 18 months. I like her, but am not in love. Six month ago, my former fiancé returned from Africa, stating that she still loves me. I still love her, however she contracted AIDS from a contaminated syringe while receiving medical care in Africa. The medically safe route is for me to marry the girl I like, but don’t love, but I am afraid I won’t be happy. Should I marry my former fiancé, even thought she has AIDS?
Sincerely,
Infected in Iowa

Howard Roark: Yes

Dear Howard,
My husband is a wonderful man. When we were first married, we both worked and he fully supported my career along with his. When we started having children, he said he would support me if I wanted to continue my career and get help taking care of the kids. Once we had three, I decided to stay at home and raise the children. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed helping my husband expand his business and support his career. I have no regrets. The children are older now and recently I received an offer to return to my old job, but with a slight advance up the corporate ladder. Seems my old boss was impressed by some work I did on the school board. This time however, my husband doesn’t support it. He honestly admits that he’s grown used to my help, and my role in his life. He believes that his business and our family will suffer if I pursue my career at this time. Should I let my husband decide my future?
Sincerely,
Housebound in Hoboken

Howard Roark: No

Dear Howard,
I am a devout Packer fan. I love watching the Packers anytime I get the chance. I watch all four preseason games, and I read up on every happening in the offseason. I throw a three day-long draft soiree. I named my Dog “Favre,” and then sent him to pound when Favre left. My new pitbull “Clay” now travels with me everywhere, even when I go to watch all the Packer practices during training camp. I have three different bedrooms outfitted in Packer gear, a Lombardi room, a Holmgren room, and a McCarthy room. The basement ½ bathroom is the Rhodes room. The problem is that I get too involved in the games, with my mood fluctuating wildly, depending on the outcome. When the Packers win, I have a great week. When they lose, I have to check myself into the local psyche ward. Am I placing too much importance on the Packers?
Sincerely,
Fanatic in Fredonia

Howard Roark: Yes

Ask Howard Roark appears in over 2500 newspapers worldwide, excluding the Banner chain of papers. The concept of Ask Howard Roark was stolen from The Onion (Get it? ‘Stolen Concept’). No Floating abstractions were hurt in the writing of this column.

HowardRoark
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't give or ask for help!

We're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me in any words you wish.

mraynrand
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't give or ask for help!

We're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me in any words you wish.

Howard Roark: But I don't think of you