PDA

View Full Version : Winners & Losers - KC

Fritz
09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Well, did any of these guys make a strong case to stick?

Swain was good but had a lot of opportunities, too. I think Jarrett Bush played well - although like so many Packer fans, I have mixed feelings about this.

Justin Harrell made it through the game with no further injury, as far as we know. For him, that's a thumbs up.

Obiozor didn't play until the second half, at least not that I could see. Nor did Lee play much if at all until the second half. Not a good sign for either one of those guys. I didn't see Francois at all, but I didn't watch much of the second half.

Looks like Bryan faltered a little bit more last night (though he did have to handle one bad snap). It would be a surprise if he was the pick to punt for the Pack.

Other thoughts?

channtheman
09-03-2010, 08:08 AM
How did Chery do? I heard he fumbled a kickoff or something, anything else of note? Did he look any good as a returner?

red
09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
#18 and chery both looked pretty good at WR and one of them could take swain's spot

pat lee looked like a glove when he finally got in there, but i just don't understand why bush got the nod before him

speaking of bush, he still sucks hard. his int was thanks to a bad pass. he lost his jock when the WR broke back towards the line and almost fell down. then he got a gift wrapped ball handed to him. he still sucks at tackling. he can come in and clean uo if someone else slows up or trips up the guy with the ball, but he can't do it on his own. he had 2 pathetic misses last night

vince
09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
I didn't see a bunch that changed much from before the game. Swain solidified his position as the #5 I thought by demonstrating the ability to separate and reliably catch the ball, which a couple of his competitors did not do.

Lang still has work to do to shape into form, but he looked like that last year too before proving reliable in the regular season.

No one really stood out defensively at all. A couple people who weren't going to make the team demonstrated why, but that's about it.

There was almost no blitzing that I saw, and it showed in practically no pass rush.

I now think Lumpkin is going to make the team. Not sure how many yards he had or what his ypc was, but he showed enough that he's the #3 RB IMO. That would negate the possibility of carrying 3 FB's and 5 TE's I'd think.

It should be interesting to see if Thompson moves anyone in the next 2 days. I think he'll entertain offers for Spitz, but he's not going to move him unless the right offer comes. He's a full notch above EDS and the rest of the pretenders on teh line at this point.

red
09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
How did Chery do? I heard he fumbled a kickoff or something, anything else of note? Did he look any good as a returner?

he fumbled the opening kickoff, but it was raining pretty good . other then that he just looked ok, nothing special, but no mistakes either

his blocking however was horrible all game so it's not like he had a lot of chances to do anything

pbmax
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Saw second half only.

Lumpkin ran well.

Giacomini looked OK at guard. Campbell washed out at RT.

Harrell was able to sustain effort, but he was not beating the guy across from him.

Toribo can't handle 1st stringers, but he looks all world against 3rd stringers.

At this point, this is like wishing to find a unicorn, but if Bush could learn to find the ball, he could be a fantastic player. He did make one nice play on the ball but it was borderline interference. He can chase down, hit and finish. I wonder if he could manage deep safety where he could see the QB throw the ball.

Quinn Johnson hits high, but still makes the block. One nice catch I heard on the radio in the first half. Faked one guy before going down.

Graham Harrell may yet play in the NFL. He doesn't have a starters arm, but if they don't gameplan him, he can kill people short. Think Don Strock with less grey hair.

Quarless looks like he can play.

Newhouse will be a tough decision. He would be the third backup tackle, but he can play LT.

Didn't see Obiozor get anywhere except in pursuit.

Tony Oday
09-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow I must have seen a different game

Lumpkin is gone...nothing special there except hard running against the 3's, Kuhn is our emergency 3rd back

Bush blitz ok and was ok in coverage...I think he makes the team

Cherry had NO blocking at all but had a nifty 15 yardish punt return.

Swain is done in GB...he played a great game but is slow and injury prone

QB Harrell the pride of West Texas played well and I hope he sneaks on the PS but I could see him on a team as a 3rd guy this year

EDS showed versatility as a long snapper

Bryan is gone as our punter

General thoughts on the game is that we have guys that can flat out play offense at the skills positions.

We have guys that are just flat out guys in the 3-4...starting to get nervous although we did come up with turnovers.

SkinBasket
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Loser: Poppinga. Because he looked like Poppinga. Missing tackles and surrendering the corner. Barf.

Winner: That dorky 2nd string QB looked nice.

Jarret Bush Award goes to Jarret Bush, for showing just enough to think that one day he might pull it all together and be a player, for like the 4th year in a row now.

Tony Oday
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Loser: Poppinga. Because he looked like Poppinga. Missing tackles and surrendering the corner. Barf.

Winner: That dorky 2nd string QB looked nice.

Jarret Bush Award goes to Jarret Bush, for showing just enough to think that one day he might pull it all together and be a player, for like the 4th year in a row now.

Forgot Pop...he looked BAD

Patler
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Chery lost his chance when he fumbled the opening kickoff - twice. Dropped the catch, picked it up, then fumbled when hit.

Reports have been that he drops kicks and passes frequently in practice. No reason to think that will miraculously change if he is named to the 53 man roster.

Freak Out
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM

I only saw the highlights but I thought he was gone after that wide open catch....not. Is the guy injured?

Tony Oday
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM

I only saw the highlights but I thought he was gone after that wide open catch....not. Is the guy injured?

looks like a couple plays before he tweaked the knee...again.

Joemailman
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
He hurt the knee when a guy grabbed his leg to tackle him. Pretty ordinary play. Looks like that knee can't take any contact at all.

retailguy
09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Chery lost his chance when he fumbled the opening kickoff - twice. Dropped the catch, picked it up, then fumbled when hit.

Reports have been that he drops kicks and passes frequently in practice. No reason to think that will miraculously change if he is named to the 53 man roster.

Didn't know about the practice tidbit, but I agree Patler. He had a small shot, not a very good one, but that window is likely closed. I thought he'd make it, but it didn't take long to see that wasn't happening.

I'm curious if he even gets to PS this year.

Pugger
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
On the GBP-G website's forum a guy who attended the game said he thought J. Harrell looked good and strong and he was pleased with the way Shields played. I had to watch the online stream last night with the KC announders. I wish I could have also listened to Wayne and Larry on WIXX at the same time. :|

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
On the GBP-G website's forum a guy who attended the game said he thought J. Harrell looked good and strong and he was pleased with the way Shields played. I had to watch the online stream last night with the KC announders. I wish I could have also listened to Wayne and Larry on WIXX at the same time. :|

Some say Harrell played like crap--while I think he was mostly pretty decent. Not lights out, but he held the point of attack. He could get cut, if the coaches think his back won't hold up, but I think he merits a spot on his play in the preseason. I haven't watched the final preseason game yet. I'm DVR'ing that tonight. I'll be watching how Harrell did.

mraynrand
09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Some say Harrell played like crap--while I think he was mostly pretty decent. Not lights out, but he held the point of attack. He could get cut, if the coaches think his back won't hold up, but I think he merits a spot on his play in the preseason. I haven't watched the final preseason game yet. I'm DVR'ing that tonight. I'll be watching how Harrell did.

Harv, it comes on 1AM eastern - that's midnight for you. I know you'll be up at midnight watching that thing all the way through, with a report to follow immediately thereafter, because that's the kind of dedication we've come to expect from you. :D