PDA

View Full Version : Jason Spitz or G/C Evan Dietrich-Smith... Getting calls?

packers11
09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
The Packers have received calls asking if G/C Jason Spitz or G/C Evan Dietrich-Smith are available for trade, sources tell the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Spitz missed 11 games last year due to a back injury and was never really given a shot to beat out Scott Wells at center this year. As an athletic and versatile interior lineman, Spitz would certainly garner significant interest on the open market if he's cut. The Bills, Raiders and Chiefs should be calling Green Bay.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I really hope they keep Spitz for depth purposes... Last year was a nightmare - so unless they get something to good to offer up, i'd rather have the packers keep him...

Fritz
09-03-2010, 11:46 AM
If you want to keep Spitz & EDS, though, don't you end up with ten?

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher
Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Spitz
Dietrich-Smith

So you have to then go short at another position. But which one?

Patler
09-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher
Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Spitz
Dietrich-Smith

Newhouse to PS. He's not ready to play anyway.

hoosier
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
If somebody thinks Newhouse can play LT--and the Packers have said he looks more comfortable there than at G--then I don't expect he makes it to the PS. He will get Meredithed by someone. If they can get something reasonable for Spitz they should pull the trigger. Otherwise, keep Spitz and trade EDS out of the division for "past considerations."

red
09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
trade either one for some vet cb help. we are in desperate need of it right now

Bossman641
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
If somebody thinks Newhouse can play LT--and the Packers have said he looks more comfortable there than at G--then I don't expect he makes it to the PS. He will get Meredithed by someone. If they can get something reasonable for Spitz they should pull the trigger. Otherwise, keep Spitz and trade EDS out of the division for "past considerations."

I agree. All indications I've got is that Newhouse looks like he could be a keeper down the road but just needs a season or two of weight training and seasoning.

If Spitz can get traded for anything worth a damn (OLB or CB) I would jump on it. His back history makes me a little weary.

Brandon494
09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Thats interesting that the Bills are calling us. They have two very good running backs in Joique Bell Bell and Chad Simpson that are fighting for the #4 RB spot in Buffalo. Chad Simpson also had KR experience returning for the Colts last season 38 times for 898 yards and a TD.

vince
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Thats interesting that the Bills are calling us. They have two very good running backs in Joique Bell Bell and Chad Simpson that are fighting for the #4 RB spot in Buffalo. Chad Simpson also had KR experience returning for the Colts last season 38 times for 898 yards and a TD.
23 yd. average. no thanks.

Brandon494
09-03-2010, 02:01 PM
trade either one for some vet cb help. we are in desperate need of it right now

Those 3 teams have nothing at CB.

retailguy
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher
Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Spitz
Dietrich-Smith

I don't think you let go of Newhouse as shaky as Lang was in the preseason. You gotta wonder if the coaches are screwing the kid up, or it's just residual rust from his injury.

Patler
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think you let go of Newhouse as shaky as Lang was in the preseason. You gotta wonder if the coaches are screwing the kid up, or it's just residual rust from his injury.

Are you suggesting that the Packers' O-line coaches might not be getting the absolute best out of a player??
Surely you jest! :wink: :wink: :lol:

Brandon494
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM

I don't know if you have been watching the preseason but the guys we have no can't even hold onto the ball.

Joemailman
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd say it's the injury. Who knows? It may not be 100% yet. Trying to play on the OL with a bad wrist seems a bit problematic to me. The "bad coaching" didn't seem to hold back Josh Sitton. Or Lang last year. Or Bulaga this year before he got hurt.

vince
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM

I don't know if you have been watching the preseason but the guys we have no can't even hold onto the ball.
The guys that'd be back there - Jackson or Nelson, can. Not that I wouldn't like to see a more dynamic presence back there... We already know that Jackson/Nelson can have a 23 yd. return average, which is why the team has been trying to find someone else all preseason.

Patler
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM

I expect we will see Jordy Nelson on kickoffs again to start the season. He is reasonably reliable in ball security, and he averaged 25.4 on 25 returns last year. Not much of a threat to go all the way, but he is "safe".

Patler
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd say it's the injury. Who knows? It may not be 100% yet. Trying to play on the OL with a bad wrist seems a bit problematic to me. The "bad coaching" didn't seem to hold back Josh Sitton. Or Lang last year. Or Bulaga this year before he got hurt.

My issue has always been that the players are who they were when they came in. Under previous staffs, players like Timmerman, Rivera, Wahle, etc. developed into outstanding players after having relatively poor starting performances. Good players like Clifton and Tauscher became rocks that could be relied on. Flanagan became a pro-bowl player too.

Look at the players under the current staff. Whitticker, Coston, Moll, Colledge, Spitz, Barbre. Has anyone of them improved significantly from what they were when they came? I don't think any one of them changed much at all. For that matter, has Sitton improved, or is he just what he provided when he first showed up. (I think it is too early to say for sure with Sitton.)

They obviously made no headway at all with Meredith in the short time they had him.

Now we have Lang who isn't playing as well as he did last year, perhaps for other reasons. Bulaga is totally unknown at this point.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I like Jordy as a kick return. I think he's solid at that. Not very dynamic at punt returns, and I don't really want Williams back there. Not sure what they'll do, if Blackmon can't go. Did they ever try Swain at punt returner? He's more quick than fast, and might not be a bad punt returner if he can catch the ball.

Patler
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I like Jordy as a kick return. I think he's solid at that. Not very dynamic at punt returns, and I don't really want Williams back there. Not sure what they'll do, if Blackmon can't go. Did they ever try Swain at punt returner? He's more quick than fast, and might not be a bad punt returner if he can catch the ball.

I think they tried Swain last year or the year before in pre-season.

I really don't mind Jordy on kickoffs either. Can and has gotten the 30-50 yard returns, and always seems to get to the 25-30 yardline. Not exciting, but reliable. Jordy looks pedestrian on punt returns, however.

Smidgeon
09-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Maybe Philbin's more active in coaching the OL this year...?

retailguy
09-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Are you suggesting that the Packers' O-line coaches might not be getting the absolute best out of a player??

Well, honestly, if our OL coaches are getting the "very best" out of the talent on the line, then Ted should be fired. Immediately. :wink:

bobblehead
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM

My issue has always been that the players are who they were when they came in. Under previous staffs, players like Timmerman, Rivera, Wahle, etc. developed into outstanding players after having relatively poor starting performances. Good players like Clifton and Tauscher became rocks that could be relied on. Flanagan became a pro-bowl player too.

Look at the players under the current staff. Whitticker, Coston, Moll, Colledge, Spitz, Barbre. Has anyone of them improved significantly from what they were when they came? I don't think any one of them changed much at all. For that matter, has Sitton improved, or is he just what he provided when he first showed up. (I think it is too early to say for sure with Sitton.)

They obviously made no headway at all with Meredith in the short time they had him.

Now we have Lang who isn't playing as well as he did last year, perhaps for other reasons. Bulaga is totally unknown at this point.

I seem to agree with this, but what I can't figure out is, if we see it so obviously, why hasn't MM seen it and made a switch?

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that Sitton has improved. I can't say whether the OL coaches are any good or not. Tauscher, Wells, and Clifton were already vets when the coaches got here. Colledge has improved, but he's still way too inconsistent. Maybe that's just the player. Kind of like Bryant McKinnie with the Vikings. Sitton has improved. I thought Spitz had improved, but the injury set him back. Barbre and Giacomini haven't improved. Lang looked like an improved player from the beginning of last year to the end.

rbaloha1
09-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher
Bulaga
Lang
Newhouse
Spitz
Dietrich-Smith

Newhouse would be scooped-up if on the PS. Disagree -- Newhouse is ready to backup Cliffy.

Patler
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Newhouse would be scooped-up if on the PS. Disagree -- Newhouse is ready to backup Cliffy.

Not from what I saw last night. He looked slow and lumbering. If he backs up Clifton this year, Rodgers better be ready to run if Clifton goes down.

rbaloha1
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Not from what I saw last night. He looked slow and lumbering. If he backs up Clifton this year, Rodgers better be ready to run if Clifton goes down.

Missed the game. Did Newhouse have more problems at guard or tackle.

Based on the first three preseason games, Newhouse was assignment sure and failed to get beat.

IMO Newhouse is built more like a guard.

Fritz
09-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I think Newhouse on PS would get scooped up. I would keep him because, after all, someone has to be declared inactive on game day!

He looks like he has the potential to improve. I don't want to give away another rookie tackle to another team.

Zool
09-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Well, honestly, if our OL coaches are getting the "very best" out of the talent on the line, then Ted should be fired. Immediately. :wink:

I guess you mean McCarthy. I think he's got final say on coaches.

retailguy
09-04-2010, 11:08 AM

I guess you mean McCarthy. I think he's got final say on coaches.

Umm. No. My comment indicates that if the coaches are getting all the talent out of the players that there is, then there isn't much talent to get.... It was also tongue in cheek.

pbmax
09-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Like Meredith, Newhouse will not survive PS for the season. If they want him, he would need to be the new project tackle who makes the 53, but collects 16 game checks for being inactive.

Two things:

1. If the Packers O line was a complete shambles (like the Houston Texans) then this offense could not have performed as well as it did during 2007 and 2009. By simply being mediocre, they look like a tire fire compared to their teammates.

2. The change of O lineman success rates from Colledge, Spitz, Barbre and Giacomini to the new crop of Sitton, EDS, Lang, Meredith, Bulaga and Newhouse make me think the Packers were identifying the wrong players for the coaches and systems. The lighter, more athletic types (former TEs) have suddenly disappeared from the drafts. I think the team had its personnel target trained on the wrong kind of player. Perhaps because of the coach or perhaps because of the O philosophy.

Only McCarthy was in a position before to know how to tell a GM what kind of lineman he needed to run his offense. And his best resource on the topic left for BC after one year. Neither Philbin and Campen had never had that responsibility before.

Patler
09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
2. The change of O lineman success rates from Colledge, Spitz, Barbre and Giacomini to the new crop of Sitton, EDS, Lang, Meredith, Bulaga and Newhouse make me think the Packers were identifying the wrong players for the coaches and systems. The lighter, more athletic types (former TEs) have suddenly disappeared from the drafts. I think the team had its personnel target trained on the wrong kind of player. Perhaps because of the coach or perhaps because of the O philosophy.

Only McCarthy was in a position before to know how to tell a GM what kind of lineman he needed to run his offense. And his best resource on the topic left for BC after one year. Neither Philbin and Campen had never had that responsibility before.

I think there has been a very clear change it what they are looking for. The more recent picks seem to have about 15-20 lbs on the picks the first couple years under MM.

bobblehead
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM

I think there has been a very clear change it what they are looking for. The more recent picks seem to have about 15-20 lbs on the picks the first couple years under MM.

Agree. I mentioned that in some offseason thread that starting with Sitton we seemed to be drafting more of the bigger powerhouse OL and less of the athletic slightly smaller ones. With that, we should see the old guard get replaced so to speak.

Patler
09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that Sitton has improved.

I don't know, he was pretty impressive as a rookie, and would probably have started but was injured late in camp (sort of like Bulaga this year). I think it remains to be seen if he makes the next step.

red
09-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Agree. I mentioned that in some offseason thread that starting with Sitton we seemed to be drafting more of the bigger powerhouse OL and less of the athletic slightly smaller ones. With that, we should see the old guard get replaced so to speak.

i think this all became crystal clear to everyone a couple years ago when we played dallas and our little o-line got pushed all over the field. meanwhile the cowboy o-line with a lot of fat in the ass looked like a concrete wall

at least thats when i knew the smaller athletic zone blocking guys just weren't gonna cut it

mraynrand
09-04-2010, 07:25 PM

i think this all became crystal clear to everyone a couple years ago when we played dallas and our little o-line got pushed all over the field. meanwhile the cowboy o-line with a lot of fat in the ass looked like a concrete wall

at least thats when i knew the smaller athletic zone blocking guys just weren't gonna cut it

McGinn is gearing up to ask McCarthy about how often they are going to run ZBS plays versus power, etc. in his eve-of-the-season season interview. I can already see McCarthy rolling his eyes. :roll: :roll:

pbmax
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Waldo did have a convincing post that the body types and measurables weren't all that different between Colledge/Barbre and Sitton/Meredith. What definitely is different is the style of play and background. No former TEs and more interior lineman, as opposed to all college tackles.

mraynrand
09-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Waldo did have a convincing post that the body types and measurables weren't all that different between Colledge/Barbre and Sitton/Meredith. What definitely is different is the style of play and background. No former TEs and more interior lineman, as opposed to all college tackles.

McDonald seems to have both - College tackle who is big enough and strong enough to play inside, quick enough to pull, and maybe good enough to sub at tackle, if needed. I thought he blocked well inside against KC.

hoosier
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM

The Packers didn't get pushed all over the field because they were smaller, they got dominated because they weren't as good. Remember when the 1998 SB when the Packers defensive line (then the biggest in the league by far) got manhandled by the much smaller zone-blocking Denver OL?

mraynrand
09-04-2010, 11:05 PM

The Packers didn't get pushed all over the field because they were smaller, they got dominated because they weren't as good. Remember when the 1998 SB when the Packers defensive line (then the biggest in the league by far) got manhandled by the much smaller zone-blocking Denver OL?

Let's see: Reggie White: End of career; Gilbert Brown: Twice injured by TB and Indy, missed a lot of PT; Dotson: Meh; Gabe Wilkins, left game with injury leaving packers with Darius Holland, a DT at DE (Meh). Denver ran a good scheme as their offensive stats showed from that year, and punished a beat up, old tired DL in SB XXXII.

But I agree, In the current era, the ZBS 'guru' (err, tool), Jeff Jagodzinski feld the packers, leaving them with no one to teach it. Yes, the Packers OL wasn't good against the Dallas D in 2008, but the McCarthy Packers never ran the ZBS all that well (somewhat OK in 2007) - combination of poor players and even poorer coaching?