PDA

View Full Version : Packer Yearbooks

Patler
09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Are any of you collectors?

This year's Yearbook has an article about the series, which started in 1960. I bought my first one in the mid-1960s (1964, I think), and in the early '70s I managed to buy copies of the 3 or 4 I had missed initially. I have had the complete collection ever since.

Just bought this years copy last night, so it made me think about it.

vince
09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I bought this year's edition. My first one. Hopefully there'll be good reason to hang onto it for a long time.

The first eight yearbooks ('60-67) are archived online at the Wisconsin Historical Society's Website. Here's the link.

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/tp&CISOPTR=69739&CISOSHOW=69243

Patler
09-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I bought this year's edition. My first one. Hopefully there'll be good reason to hang onto it for a long time.

The first eight yearbooks ('60-67) are archived online at the Wisconsin Historical Society's Website. Here's the link.

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/tp&CISOPTR=69739&CISOSHOW=69243

Interesting. The online images all show definite stitch marks along the edge. They must have been stitched into a binder of some sort. Mine are in a lot nicer shape!

vince
09-03-2010, 03:52 PM
That's an incredible collection Patler. I'm sure you saw in the article that a mint condition inaugural 1960 yearbook alone is worth $1,000+.

Patler
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
That's an incredible collection Patler. I'm sure you saw in the article that a mint condition inaugural 1960 yearbook alone is worth $1,000+.

Ya, I did. I've priced individual copies on eBay, in stores etc. Many from the '60s go for several hundred. Most of mine are in very good condition.

About 10-12 years ago a sports memorabilia guy told me the collection was worth about $2,000 to $2,500 at that time, with over half the value in the first 10 years. Surprisingly, the Yearbooks from the '70s and '80s are not highly sought after! :lol:

vince
09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Do you have the year where Lambeau and Lombardi are on the cover shaking hands?

Patler
09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Do you have the year where Lambeau and Lombardi are on the cover shaking hands?

Sure do, 1965. I have them all. The only thing I don't have is variations. For example, one year had a second printing, and the pictures were the same, but different border colors.

vince
09-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Ah, I misread your original post. I thought you had them all except the first 4 or so years.

Lambeau and Lombardi's (lack of) relationship is an interesting story.

Definitely jealous!

vince
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I've saved digital images of all the covers but would kill for the originals like you have Patler. There's a rich history embedded in those books.

Here's a bit about that 1965 cover, which I'm sure you're familiar with, but is worth repeating nonetheless.

Lombardi was furious that this cover hit the newsstand without his permission, as he was a very religious man and did not want to be associated with the philandering Lambeau in any way. He ceased relations with the editors after that yearbook was published for awhile because of that cover. Eventually he recanted and made up with them, but there was a serious rift for some time.

I saved the letter correspondence between the Yearbook editors, Jack Yeunger and Art Daley, and Lombardi (don't remember where I found it online) from that time and I thought you might enjoy reading it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/1daley203.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/2daley4.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/2daley5.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/3daley20final.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/3daley202.jpg

Lombardi eventually got over the issue, but there's evidence that not everything was ruled by the heavy hand of Saint Vince who walked on water.

vince
09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
For any other history geeks who may be reading this, here's the cover that Lombardi was so furious about.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/1965yearbook.jpg

RashanGary
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
That's really cool Patler.

Patler
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Vince;

Fantastic letters! Sure does dispel the myth that the GB media did whatever Lombardi wanted, doesn't it.

pbmax
09-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Vince;

Fantastic letters! Sure does dispel the myth that the GB media did whatever Lombardi wanted, doesn't it.
Interesting. Because my reaction was while they wouldn't sacrifice control or potential sales for Lombardi, they were both homers in every other way. To be fair, I am not sure what role Art Daley played at the Press Gazette. They were letting him see the Table of Contents already.

Its an interesting field. We saw the NFL restrict video on media websites and sideline filming a couple years ago; something that was commonplace for years. And that involved media increasing their exposure while covering the product for free. I wonder what the limits are in using the Packers name, etc. when you produce Packers Plus or use the logos for the Sports page.

Fritz
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
If Lombardi despised Lambeau for his philandering ways, then why did he shake hands with Lambeau while allowing a photographer to record what seems clearly to be a posed photo?

vince
09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
It was because of the dedication of what was City Stadium being called Lambeau Field beginning in that year. Lombardi made "concessions" for that purpose, but did not approve of the image being used on the cover of the yearbook.

There's a vague reference to this in this year's yearbook article that Patler referenced. I'll re-read it to see if there's anything more to add.

vince
09-04-2010, 09:57 AM
In the midst of Lombardi's battle with Daly and Yuenger over editorial control of the yearbooks, Lambeau died on June 1 of 1965, which caused the editors to switch the cover - without notifying Lombardi.

Now here's the story as presented in this year's yearbook, with obviously no reference to the fractured Lambeau/Lombardi relationship or Lombardi's sought-after control/censorship of the yearbook.

When Lambeau died in the summer of 1965, Daley replaced the proposed cover shot of halfback Tom Moore with the photo of Lambeau and Lombardi.

"Lombardi called me up and told me it was the worst yearbook ever," Daley said. "He hardly said a word to me that season. Then one day he calls and tells me to practice on Friday, a day I typically don't attend practice."

When Daley arrived, he noticed veterans Kramer and Max McGee with smiles on their faces.

"They knew what was going on," Daley said. "Lombardi gave me a big handshake and smile and told me he couldn't stay mad at me any longer because I was too nice a guy."

vince
09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Vince;

Interesting. Because my reaction was while they wouldn't sacrifice control or potential sales for Lombardi, they were both homers in every other way. To be fair, I am not sure what role Art Daley played at the Press Gazette. They were letting him see the Table of Contents already.

Its an interesting field. We saw the NFL restrict video on media websites and sideline filming a couple years ago; something that was commonplace for years. And that involved media increasing their exposure while covering the product for free. I wonder what the limits are in using the Packers name, etc. when you produce Packers Plus or use the logos for the Sports page.
Art Daley was a Packer beat reporter (along with Lee Remmel) for the GBPG for many years. There's a long history of the GBPG shaping Packer news and promoting the Packers throughout their formative years. It doesn't say much about the objective press (as if it is today), but it's pretty clear the Packers wouldn't have survived those years without the publicity and finaicial aid of the Press-Gazette. They were in bed together from the beginning. But it's clear that the "Packers" were not always synonymous with "Lombardi" - at least in some circumstances.

swede
09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting the exchange of letters.

It was interesting that Art Daley thought it necessary to record for posterity that Lombardi had hung up the phone abruptly to end several of their conversations. His intent was no doubt to show a wider audience that he was reasonable and Lombardi was a hothead. Instead it creates an image in my mind of a distinct overmatch; the written dialogue was Green Bay East vs Fordham.

And Fordham doesn't trouble itself to listen to what it knows Green Bay East is going to say before it says it. Not when there is work to do. SLAM!