PDA

View Full Version : If You Had Your Pick: Matthews or Finley?

Farley Face
09-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Great that we have these two young playmakers on each side of the ball.

If you were the GM of a new expansion team and could pick one or the other to help build your team, which would you choose?

As much as I'm a J-Mike fan, I'd have to be a CMIII guy just because I don't think you can win without a consistent pass rush.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2010, 08:35 PM

If you were the GM of a new expansion team and could pick one or the other to help build your team, which would you choose?

As much as I'm a J-Mike fan, I'd have to be a CMIII guy just because I don't think you can win without a consistent pass rush.

That's tough. Lots of variables. Young QB? 3-4 or 4-3 defense? If I had a veteran QB and a 4-3 defense, I'd go with Finley. If I had a veteran QB and a 3-4 defense, I'd go with Matthews.

Farley Face
09-03-2010, 08:41 PM

That's tough. Lots of variables. Young QB? 3-4 or 4-3 defense? If I had a veteran QB and a 4-3 defense, I'd go with Finley. If I had a veteran QB and a 3-4 defense, I'd go with Matthews.

Let's say as that GM you had to make one or the other your first pick. You didn't know yet who your QB might be or even necessarily the defense you might choose to run.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Let's say as that GM you had to make one or the other your first pick. You didn't know yet who your QB might be or even necessarily the defense you might choose to run.

Hmmm... I'd probably go with Finley at this point. Just because he's more of a sure thing IMHO. I like 'em both, but CMIII has had the hammy problems both years.

Brando19
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I really really like Finley...alot...but Matthews would be my guy. A couple reasons. One being Matthews is a beast that only has one speed...balls to the wall. The other reason...I'm afraid Finley could be trouble, especially if he was playing for a big city (night life.) I believe Finley's had some good coaching in GB to get his head on straight. He didn't contribute his rookie year, Matthews...well, enough said.

Brandon494
09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Finley and its not even close for me. As much as I like Clay Matthews I'm much more excited about this season because of Finley, not Matthews.

vince
09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd go with Finley too. If he stays out of his own way, Finley has a chance to be a once-in-a-generation kind of talent. Unbelievable athlete and physical specimen.

Matthews has a chance to be really good, and is probably lower risk than Finley, but his ceiling is not quite as high IMO.

That's only because Finley is one of the very few who has no ceiling.

Brandon494
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I really really like Finley...alot...but Matthews would be my guy. A couple reasons. One being Matthews is a beast that only has one speed...balls to the wall. The other reason...I'm afraid Finley could be trouble, especially if he was playing for a big city (night life.) I believe Finley's had some good coaching in GB to get his head on straight. He didn't contribute his rookie year, Matthews...well, enough said.

Finley has been in the league two more years than Matthews but is a year younger. Finley would have been a top 10 pick if he would have stayed until his senior RS year like Clay Matthews. I don't know why everyone thinks Finley is such a bad guy just because his cocky. He has gotten into no trouble off the field and just came into the league as a cocky 20 year old. Hes matured since then and is now Rodgers #1 target. I don't know about you guys but I think those two are going to put up big numbers for awhile.

buchunter03
09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Ya I'm taking Finley no doubt. The guy is going to be a beast this year and will do so much for our offense. Jennings might have a huge year because he won't be seeing as many double teams, as the defense will have to concentrate more on Finley.

Also, on just about every crucial 3rd down play Rodgers ALWAYS looks for him first. Rodgers knows what he has in Finley and there is no doubt in my mind he will be the best TE in the league this year. I like Matthews, but Finley can be the guy to put this team in the Super Bowl.

RashanGary
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Just football, I think it's close. Matthews is a great player at a more important position. Finley is an even better great player at a less important position. Total impact = about same.

I'd give the edge to Matthews though, because I trust him more.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Jessica Biel or Jessica Alba?

Too close to call.

Brando19
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM

Too close to call.

Jessica Simpson.

But I'm really digging Katy Perry here lately.

get louder at lambeau
09-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Too close to call.

Alba.

As far as the other choice, I'm leaning towards Matthews. I think Finley might be better this year, but Matthews might play for 19 years like his dad and uncle. And you don't build a franchise by starting with a TE, or even a WR.

Patler
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Mathews, without a doubt.

Mathews can have an impact more or less on his own. Of course, he is better with better players, but he can have a real impact even on his own.

Finley's impact would lessen significantly playing with one of the bad NFL starting QBs, or on a team with such bad receivers as to allow double coverage on Finley all the time.

LBs are simply involved in more plays. I'll take the linebacker.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2010, 11:28 PM
CMIII. But Finley makes it a very tough choice.

Tarlam!
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
What a great idea for a thread!

My pick? Brandon19 read my mind: CMIII

bobblehead
09-04-2010, 06:31 AM
wow, great thread idea.

I go Mathews for all the reasons above, plus he is a tireless worker and has football in his blood.

Unlikely, but still possible is that finley gets a big head and fucks up his promising career. I gotta go defense and more of a sure thing.

pbmax
09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Finley/Alba

Matthews has done it for one year. After one year, it could have been concluded that Rick Mirer was better than Drew Bledsoe. Finley has gotten better in two successive years.

Forcing people to pick between Jessicas not named Simpson is just cruel.

Brandon494
09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Jessica Simpson is fat now.

No one picked Jessica Biel? :shock:

The Leaper
09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I'll take Finley. He is going to be a monster this year, and having a TE like that in the WCO makes life crazy hard for the opposing defenses. Finley certainly has a higher level of physical talent and his presence in the offense is going to open up so much more on the edges and in the running game.

CM is a very good player...but I'm not sold that he is going to be a superstar LB at this point. Finley has a chance to become one of the most prolific TEs in NFL history if he keeps his head on straight.

Pugger
09-06-2010, 12:33 AM
CM3. But if you are really gonna start a team you start with the QB in today's pass happy NFL. If you don't have that Finley isn't gonna help you much.

Cheesehead Craig
09-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Finley and Biel.

I don't get the Katy Perry love.

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I think people just like Clay Matthews better because hes more of a class act but lets get real here...Finley is the more talented player.

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh yea and Biel by far

http://www.ninjadude.com/images/Jessica-Biel/jessica-biel-ass-shot.jpg

Patler
09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I think people just like Clay Matthews better because hes more of a class act but lets get real here...Finley is the more talented player.

Kind of hard to make that judgment when Mathews has played just one season. If you compare their rookie years, Mathews wins by a landslide. Truth be told, I think Mathews performance last year as a LB was better than Finley's as a TE. Now I will agree that Finley gives the impression that he should be all-world, but he hasn't done it yet.

vince
09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Clay Matthews is tough to block one on one. J-Mike Finley cannot be covered one on one.

Brandon :bclap:

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Kind of hard to make that judgment when Mathews has played just one season. If you compare their rookie years, Mathews wins by a landslide. Truth be told, I think Mathews performance last year as a LB was better than Finley's as a TE. Now I will agree that Finley gives the impression that he should be all-world, but he hasn't done it yet.

You also have to take in the fact that Finley left college as a redshirt sophmore and Matthews left as a redshirt senior. Matthews did have a better rookie season but Finley is still a year younger. As far as Matthews having a better season last year I think they were pretty similiar. Both started out slow and finished the season very strong. I believe both player were not even starters to start the season.

2009 stats
Clay Matthews 51 tackles 10 sacks 1 FF 1 TD

Finley 55 receptions 676 yards 5 TDs in 13 games

Look for Clay to have a similiar season as 2009 but I believe Finley will put up Antonio Gates numbers.

Patler
09-06-2010, 05:15 PM

You also have to take in the fact that Finley left college as a redshirt sophmore and Matthews left as a redshirt senior. Matthews did have a better rookie season but Finley is still a year younger. As far as Matthews having a better season last year I think they were pretty similiar. Both started out slow and finished the season very strong. I believe both player were not even starters to start the season.

2009 stats

Look for Clay to have a similiar season as 2009 but I believe Finley will put up Antonio Gates numbers.

Well, if Finley can put up Gates-like Numbers, what's to say Matthews can't put up Lawrence Taylor-like numbers? or Bryce Paup-like play, and he was good enough to be DPOY. Until either one does it, its just conjecture.

Mathews' play was good enough for the Pro-Bowl last year, Finley's was not. I give the edge last year to Matthews.

Unfortunately, both have to prove that they can stay healthy. Finley missed a few games last year, and Mathews has yet to do much in a training camp. Both have a lot yet to prove before we sing their praises too loudly. Either could be a flash in the pan, or a perennial all-pro.

Fritz
09-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd go with Jessica Biel.

Patler
09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd go with Jessica Biel.

Good choice.

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 05:39 PM

2009 stats

Well, if Finley can put up Gates-like Numbers, what's to say Matthews can't put up Lawrence Taylor-like numbers? or Bryce Paup-like play, and he was good enough to be DPOY. Until either one does it, its just conjecture.

Mathews' play was good enough for the Pro-Bowl last year, Finley's was not. I give the edge last year to Matthews.

Unfortunately, both have to prove that they can stay healthy. Finley missed a few games last year, and Mathews has yet to do much in a training camp. Both have a lot yet to prove before we sing their praises too loudly. Either could be a flash in the pan, or a perennial all-pro.

He was good enough to be rookie DPOY. You can give Matthews the edge for having a better season, I agree with that, but hes not a better player then J-Mike and the upcoming season will prove that. I mean who do you seriously think will have a better chance at making the pro bowl this season?

You have to take in the fact that the coaching staff didn't fully use Finley last season but you can bet your ass thats not going to happen this season. He is clearly Aaron Rodgers new favorite target and you can take back my earlier statement about him having Gate like numbers, I guarntee he will put up better numbers this Gates this season.

Patler
09-06-2010, 05:52 PM

He was good enough to be rookie DPOY. You can give Matthews the edge for having a better season, I agree with that, but hes not a better player then J-Mike and the upcoming season will prove that. I mean who do you seriously think will have a better chance at making the pro bowl this season?

You have to take in the fact that the coaching staff didn't fully use Finley last season but you can bet your ass thats not going to happen this season. He is clearly Aaron Rodgers new favorite target and you can take back my earlier statement about him having Gate like numbers, I guarntee he will put up better numbers this Gates this season.

I was talking about Bryce Paup being DPOY. He got that after going to Buffalo, not as a rookie. If Mathews becomes Paup-like, he will be pretty darn good.

I expect the coaches will find better ways to use Mathews as well. He was just a rookie. I expect him to improve, too.

Not meaning this as a knock on either player, but once teams start knowing they are there, and what they can do, SOME players have a hard time compensating.

Nothing is certain until they do it. I've see too many "great" young players fade very early in their careers to get too excited at this point about either Finley or Mathews. Do I expect either one to disappoint? No. But greatness is not assured, either.

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm very sure that Finley is a great player. Injury aside, I'd bet on it.

Patler
09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Ah, the naivete of the younger fan! :lol: :lol:

He very well could be. It will not surprise me one bit if he does. On the other hand, a lot of things can happen between here and his induction at Canton.

You can't discount injuries. That's part of the game, and Finley showed a little vulnerability last year when hit low; and hit low he will be.

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't really think he showed vulnerability with the knee injury last year. Any player can get hit in the knee and miss time, Im not concerned at all about Finley's durability. Matthews on the other hand seems to have a occuring hamstring issue that has bother him even at USC.

I'll even go on the record he'll go down as the best TE in GB history when its all said and done. This guy is about to having a monster season and I guarntee he'll be a top 3 TE based on statistics this year.

Patler
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't really think he showed vulnerability with the knee injury last year. Any player can get hit in the knee and miss time, Im not concerned at all about Finley's durability. Matthews on the other hand seems to have a occuring hamstring issue that has bother him even at USC.

I'll even go on the record he'll go down as the best TE in GB history when its all said and done. This guy is about to having a monster season and I guarntee he'll be a top 3 TE based on statistics this year.

I agree there is a real concern about Mathews. They need to get a handle on his hamstring issues because it sure isn't going to get better with age.