PDA

View Full Version : Eight Year Career Possibly At An End?

Patler
09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
JT O'Sullivan was cut today! :(

Guiness
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
The real question: is he practice squad eligible? lol

Yup, the guy sure did survive for a while in this league - and got to start those games in SF.

Lurker64
09-05-2010, 06:43 PM
UFL here he comes!

bobblehead
09-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I would love to be an eight year journyman in the NFL. The money of league minimum for playing a game would be a bonus, but just to have played in the NFL, even as a journyman, would be awesome.

gbgary
09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
daaaang. has it really been eight years? :shock: i'd have guessed four or five.

Patler
09-05-2010, 08:11 PM
There was an OT a couple years ago, whose name eludes me, that retired after spending something like 10 or 11 seasons in the NFL. He had been on a different team almost every year, was on a roster the entire season each year, but had never started a game. He had played in only a few. One coach said he was the ultimate backup, a tireless worker who would do whatever was asked, was a great team mate, always new his assignments to perfection, and was just happy to have a job each year. The problem was that he was just not real talented, so every team always wanted to replace him, but weak teams were happy to have him as a backup.

If I remember correctly, the Packers had him in TC a few years ago, which is why I knew about him.

mraynrand
09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
There was an OT a couple years ago, whose name eludes me, that retired after spending something like 10 or 11 seasons in the NFL. He had been on a different team almost every year, was on a roster the entire season each year, but had never started a game. He had played in only a few. One coach said he was the ultimate backup, a tireless worker who would do whatever was asked, was a great team mate, always new his assignments to perfection, and was just happy to have a job each year. The problem was that he was just not real talented, so every team always wanted to replace him, but weak teams were happy to have him as a backup.

If I remember correctly, the Packers had him in TC a few years ago, which is why I knew about him.

It's like that 12th guy on the Duke bench who gets to run around like a fool and toss up shots for 50 seconds at the end of the game on Senior night. If the ball goes in, the crowd goes nuts. Well, it's not really like that, but it's fun to see those practice guys run around on Senior night anyway.

vince
09-06-2010, 07:14 PM
JTO has landed in San Diego.

Still going strong.

The Chargers are O' Sullivan's 10th team.

CaliforniaCheez
09-06-2010, 07:38 PM
The California guy is a survivor.

Some day he will have a good NFL retirement.

On the roster week one guarantees his salary.

Journeyman Quarterback.

vince
09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
The path of a journeyman (from Wikipedia)...

New Orleans Saints
He spent time in NFL Europe, and in 2004 he finished with the 2nd best passer rating in the league and led his team to World Bowl XII. He was with the New Orleans Saints in 2002 and 2003 before being traded with a second round draft pick to the Green Bay Packers for Mike McKenzie in 2004.

Green Bay Packers
He played the first regular season game of his career in 2004 while with the Packers, where he took a knee twice to end the game.

First stint with Bears
O'Sullivan spent part of 2005 with the Chicago Bears.

Minnesota Vikings
O'Sullivan also spent time with the Minnesota Vikings in 2005

New England Patriots
O'Sullivan was with the New England Patriots for part of 2006.

Carolina Panthers
On December 26, 2006, O'Sullivan was signed to the practice squad for the Carolina Panthers.

Second stint with Bears
On February 8, 2007 he signed with the Chicago Bears. In 2007, He also participated again in NFL Europa for the Frankfurt Galaxy franchise for the second time. Prior to World Bowl XV, O'Sullivan (along with Centurions RB Derrick Ross) shared the 2007 NFL Europa offensive MVP.

O'Sullivan was released by the Chicago Bears on July 7, 2007.

Detroit Lions
On July 10, 2007, O'Sullivan was signed by the Detroit Lions. Due to injuries to Detroit's other two quarterbacks, starter Jon Kitna and backup Dan Orlovsky, O'Sullivan played the Lions' final two 2007 preseason games in their entirety. On September 16, 2007, during his second career regular season game O'Sullivan threw his first regular season touchdown pass, a seven-yarder to Calvin Johnson.

San Francisco 49ers
After hiring O'Sullivan's former offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the San Francisco 49ers signed O'Sullivan to a one-year contract on February 29, 2008. On August 12, 2008, Coach Mike Nolan appeared on KNBR's "Murph and Mac Show" and announced that O'Sullivan had moved into the lead for the 49ers starting quarterback job.

On August 22, 2008, Coach Mike Nolan officially declared O'Sullivan as the starting quarterback for the 49ers 2008 regular season. After a poor performance against the Seattle Seahawks (2 interceptions, 4 fumbles) on October 26, O'Sullivan was benched and replaced by Shaun Hill by the new coach Mike Singletary. O'Sullivan led the league in both interceptions and fumbles at the time of his demotion. Hill was named the starting quarterback for the remainder of the season.

Cincinnati Bengals
An unrestricted free agent in the 2009 offseason, O'Sullivan signed a two-year contract with the Cincinnati Bengals on March 5, 2009.

San Diego Chargers