PDA

View Full Version : This isn't what I was expecting from Hawk

The_Dude
08-03-2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=479849

Green Bay - Anybody thinking that rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk was going to walk in and take the Green Bay Packers' training camp by storm would be disappointed.

Not only has Hawk yet to show the punishing big-play capability that led the Packers to make him the No. 5 pick in the draft but he hasn't had any more impact than fellow all-Big Ten linebacker Abdul Hodge, a third-round selection.

Of course, Hawk hasn't even been asked to make his first tackle in the National Football League. An eighth day of limited contact drills will give way to a semblance of the real thing Saturday night during the intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field.

"Any time you get a game-type atmosphere it helps, especially for a rookie like me," Hawk said Thursday. "I need to have that game-type experience."

Part of the problem trying to evaluate Hawk is the hype associated with him. As the NFL's highest-drafted linebacker since LaVar Arrington went No. 2 in 2000, Hawk and impending greatness have become almost one and the same in the minds of some fans.

But as practices stack up, Hawk has done little to distinguish himself as the starting linebacker on the weak side.

"I think the guy's really done a good job," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's shown toughness and his ability. But he's made rookie mistakes. He still is a rookie."

As for Hodge, McCarthy said, "I like the way he's playing. He's very aggressive against the run. As far as running sideline-to-sideline, that's something he's going to have to work on."

There's little doubt that Hawk's decision to marry his fiancée, Laura Quinn, in a civil ceremony 10 days ago might still be on his mind. Given the unexpected nature of the wedding, the couple undoubtedly had to do some long-distance explaining with family members who were caught completely off-guard.

Then came contract negotiations. They were completed last Friday afternoon when Hawk agreed to a six-year, $37.5 million deal. Becoming an instant millionaire takes some getting used to as well.

On the field, Hawk appears to be feeling his way through Week 1 of pro football in a defense that is much different from Ohio State's.

"It's something that's pretty new so it takes a little longer to get comfortable with it," Hawk said. "I'm learning every day. Watching the older guys. Just listening to my coaches."

Taking on the strong-side counter play in college football basically is the same as taking it on in the NFL. Because there hasn't been any live tackling, it's almost impossible even to begin judging how effective Hawk will be against the run.

Even before drafting Hawk, linebackers coach Winston Moss indicated that the Packers were well aware that he would need extensive work in pass coverage. Ohio State played mostly zone whereas the Packers generally employ a matchup scheme in which defenders are assigned to a zone but have responsibility for a man once he declares himself in their area.

"We played some man but we played more of a spot-drop zone defense most of the time," Hawk said. "That was kind of the backbone of our defense. At Ohio State, you'd sit 10, 12 yards taking away your zone and then react to the pass instead of man-turning with guys and running with them all over."

Most first-year linebackers, including Hodge, must endure the trials and tribulations of NFL pass coverage before getting on the field. In Hawk's case, he is being asked to start as he learns.

"I wouldn't say he's gotten exposed," McCarthy said. "But there's so much running and recognition for a young guy. It is challenging. It's not spot drops."

The advantage Nick Barnett had entering the NFL in 2003 was his expertise in coverage. Although he moved from strong safety to linebacker after his freshman year, the Oregon State coaches continued using him extensively in coverage.

"Man (coverage) was pretty easy for me but it's still a lot of work," Barnett said. "In the NFL you just don't have tight ends that are slow. And the zone match scheme here was totally different than in college."

Thickly built and very strong, Hawk looks the part of a linebacker even though his height (6 feet 1 inches) was considered a slight negative by some scouts. As he thinks his way through situations, there have been precious few plays in which his outstanding speed has been noticeable.

In any event, Hawk should at least be able to outrun some of the mistakes that he makes in coverage early on.

"Everybody in this league is fast," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "Hopefully, he won't be in position to have to use that speed. What we're trying to get is that he doesn't make those mistakes and get out of position. If he needs to get a head start, get a head start."

Barnett, who has had a strong camp, seems entrenched as the lone linebacker in the 4-1 dime defense. He was there Thursday morning when the Packers practiced 2-minute plays. The coaches then surprisingly waved in Hodge with the No. 2 defense, replacing Barnett. Later, Hawk took over for Hodge. Unlike Hawk, Hodge played almost all man-to-man coverage at Iowa, assigned to a running back or the tight end. His job was to stuff the run, and he did it exceedingly well.

"I'm definitely going to have to cover," Hodge said. "I want to learn techniques to my advantage so I won't have to worry about chasing them all over the field. There's a lot of veteran quarterbacks and veteran receivers that can expose you. It's something I have to work on."

Hodge didn’t go higher than he did (third round, third pick) largely because of his pedestrian speed, borderline size and concerns about his ability to play in space.

As long as Hodge remains at middle linebacker, and Sanders doesn't appear the least bit inclined to move him to the strong side as a challenger for Ben Taylor, he figures to back up Barnett, maybe perform in the goal-line defense and scuffle for playing time in the nickel defense.

Camp is just a week old and already the Packers have an inkling that Hodge could start blowing people up when the rough stuff arrives.

"He had a hell of a day (Wednesday)," McCarthy said. "He stoned the fullback a couple times. I think the kid's really picked it up."

---For all that talk of him being the "safest" pick in the draft and the most NFL ready I wouldn't have expected this. From the sounds of it just needs some work in pass coverage. This could mean that he is no longer a 3 down LB and Hodge could replace him in the nickel if he doesnt get it together. Only time will tell. When is the Scrimmage versus another team? that will be the true test for these young and new guys.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Sooo early yet.

And didn't Hawk miss a lot of the offseason work b/c of some kind of classroom commitment at Ohio State? It sounds like the stuff he's struggling with is new technique being taught in limited-contact drills. He'll pick it up.

We'll really see what kind of linebackers we have in Hawk and Hodge when they get into full contact work.

If anything, this tells me more good things about Hodge than bad things about Hawk. Many people who should know are saying Hodge is a better 'backer than Greenway, who of course was a first-round pick.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 11:37 PM
HAWK will be fine. Yes, it may take a few seasons but he will make an impact this season.

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 11:41 PM
HAWK will be fine. Yes, it may take a few seasons but he will make an impact this season.

Woody, I think you should be "Yogi Rat". You are the Yogi Berra of this forum.

It may take a few seasons, but Hawk will have an impact this season?

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Definitely that sounds a bit like Yogi.

I mean Harvey that he won't go to a PRO BOWL for maybe three seasons, but his presence (his style of play) to penetrate the oppositions backfield and pursue the ball carrier wide, will make OUR LBing position alot better this season.

or impact it right away.

HAWK flat out is a football player. I was amazed to see him on video and the speed and concentration with which he pursue the ball.

CaliforniaCheez
08-04-2006, 01:49 AM
A week after the draft he went from great propect to "dumb" rookie. Really he is inexperienced and learning a new defense.

He is a hard working player who has had a few distractions in the last 6 months.

The best you can hope for with a rookie is to look "average". The benchmark is Barnett and Collins who looked like average players as rookies.

Hawk is the poster child of Brett's remark about being the most talented team but a very inexperienced team.

Hawk will get burned in pass coverage and will make some mistakes. He will take some bad angles because NFL players are so much faster.

He will be learning every week and if for some reason the Packers have the same defensive coordinator for 2 consecutive years he will only get better next year. I think he will improve over the course of the season as we saw Collins progress last year.

No one is as good as their press coverage or as bad as their press coverage.

I encourage everyone to look to history and remember the crowd at Lambeau cheering encouragingly in 1994 when young #4 would throw the ball away rather than force it. Help the young guy don't hurt him with expectations that are too high.

GrnBay007
08-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Packer fans are in unfamiliar ground with Hawk........not used to that kind of draft pick.

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 07:12 AM
And yet, right after this artile came out, Hawk had his first pick of camp. Our boy is growing up.

Scott Campbell
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
And yet, right after this artile came out, Hawk had his first pick of camp. Our boy is growing up.

And he needs to step it up. We didn't draft him at 5 to be a project. Great players rarely look marginal early on - at linebacker anyway. I'm normally a pretty patient fan, but drafting this high I had expectations for an immediate return on investment.

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 09:05 AM
It's so early to say. The kid has been in camp for not even 2 weeks yet. He missed OTA's and the 2nd mini camp because of classroom obligations.

You guys need to give him a break.

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Agreed. At least give him training camp to get his legs under him and learn what's expected. He will be in fine form for Bear hunting.

BallHawk
08-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Did people expect him to come in and be the reincarnation of Lawrence Taylor or something? Of course he's gonna take time, but he'll be ready when season starts. Now if you excuse me, I've got a couple jocks to sniff.

RashanGary
08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm not making any judgements untill there is live tackleing. Right now it's just guess work.

The_Dude
08-04-2006, 09:20 AM
What I expected was to hear a lot of news about how awesome he was, kind of like the news about Jennings. The way scouts and people talked about him before the draft was that he was going to terrorize people with his blend of instints and speed. I'm not doubting that he is going to be great and DROY, I totally agree with that but I expected him to destroy people out there. And I thought that he was better in coverage but I guess that going from a Zone-run defense to a more Man-to-Man defense could take some time.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 09:20 AM

And he needs to step it up. We didn't draft him at 5 to be a project. Great players rarely look marginal early on - at linebacker anyway. I'm normally a pretty patient fan, but drafting this high I had expectations for an immediate return on investment.

Scott:

HAWK is all wide eyed right now and the hype has to be a little disconcerting.

Then the young lad - gets married. . . Uhhhh ??? That is tough on a house painter at that age, little less what AJ has to deal with in his profession, especially considering - the high expectations he may be placing on himself?

Give HAWK half a season and then see what he brings to us. This young man will flat out - bust his ass to help us win.

I don't believe that. I know that from all he brings to us. HAWK will not bust.

He and Abdul Hodge are going to put smiles on OUR faces for some time, and of course, in the beginning of their career's as Packers - some wrinkles on OUR brows.

They are in the NFL.

GBRulz
08-04-2006, 09:28 AM
What I expected was to hear a lot of news about how awesome he was, kind of like the news about Jennings. The way scouts and people talked about him before the draft was that he was going to terrorize people with his blend of instints and speed. I'm not doubting that he is going to be great and DROY, I totally agree with that but I expected him to destroy people out there. And I thought that he was better in coverage but I guess that going from a Zone-run defense to a more Man-to-Man defense could take some time.

I see what you're saying here...but, any player that was drafted WITHOUT having the expectations of being an immediate contributer IS going to get alot of praise. Simply because it wasn't something we had expected. Also, the WR group is thin on talent, so I think jennings has a bigger chance to shine.

With Hawk, the media hypes him up so we expect results right away and when he isn't living up to those expectations immediately, people are quick to speculate. He is a month behind, practice-wise, then Jennings too, that makes a big difference. Drafted high like this or not, it's very rare that a rookie comes out of the gates at full-speed. gotta give this kid a chance!!

cheesner
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Hawk is a guy who plays up to his competition.

He had his best game against Texas. Had a couple sacks on Vince Young and an interception. Not shining right away will only inspire him to work and study harder. I have no worries.

He will work and he will get there.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Greg Jennings has been at practise more, due to HAWK's College commitments (wondering about that - why - am I mistaken?) and they play different positions.

HAWK is now plunged into learning the nuances of OUR Defense. Hasn't Greg Jennings had more time to feel comfortable in OUR Offense?

Greg Jenning is also, as I see him - something special. Confident - RIGHT !

Badgepack
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I am more interested in Hawk's play in the next 10-12 years, not so much in the very first week of practice.

RashanGary
08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I've never seen a LB shine in first contact drills. Wait untill preseason games and then we'll get a look.

Jennings can catch. Lineman can play 100%. LB's can't tackle.

Willard
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
My expectations for Hawk are not unrealistic. I simply expect him to put Grossman & Benson in the hospital on September 10. Is that too much to ask?

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
My expectations for Hawk are not unrealistic. I simply expect him to put Grossman & Benson in the hospital on September 10. Is that too much to ask?

LOL. I'm not sure I can wish for someone to be hurt that bad - especially Grossman - I'd rather play him than Griese.

Kharma....

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I've never seen a LB shine in first contact drills. Wait untill preseason games and then we'll get a look.

Well said. In fact, watching him in college, Hawk's best attribute was his ability to tackle. His best attribute can't even be displayed right now.

ND72
08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
i read a few of the replies to the story, and i had to put in my 2-sense....

#1, today, friday, marks the fact we've been in camp for 1 week...please remember that.

#2, He's a rookie. He's in a new town, a new team, with nobody he'd really know as a "comfort" like he had with Bobby Carpenter who he lived with for 5 years at OSU. He's learning new techniques and all that stuff. If you don't know football, that is the worst part. Go from understanding everything and being a monster, to knowing nothing, and having to relearn everything...AND, then to top it off, not being able to do what he does best, making tackles.

#3, Wait until he gets some games in. Once he's able to perform and do things full speed with no restrictions, things change quickly, and practice "things" start to click.

I'm not worried at all. On monday when i was at practice I watched Hawk a lot, and I said he's exactly what I'm expecting of a rookie 1 week into practice. There were times he looked a little confused, but he played at 200 mph. But he asked a lot of questions to the coaches and Barnett and taylor. Every thing I've read on Hawk is he gets better every day, and learns more and more everyday. So give it time.

I also wanna say that the guy who wrote that story, has been anti-AJ Hawk since we drafted him. So his story might be a bit 1-sided.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Camp is just a week old and already the Packers have an inkling that Hodge could start blowing people up when the rough stuff arrives.

"He had a hell of a day (Wednesday)," McCarthy said. "He stoned the fullback a couple times. I think the kid's really picked it up."

McCarthy on Hodge.

One rookie linebacker has managed to shine, at least in the eyes of the head coach.

I fully realize it's way too early to panic. All I'm saying is that I'd rather be reading a bunch of accolades than what's been written about Hawk to this point.

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Way to early to be worried about Hawk although I stated before that the difference between Hawk and the other top LB's in the draft was very small and good LB's could still be had in rounds two and three. I think he will be fine once the tackling starts although IMO, Hodge will be the top Packer LB to be drafted in this class.

Bretsky
08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Bulldog,

I'll say this; LBers had a run by the time Green Bay picked in round two. The difference was greater than I thought it would be. D'quell Jackson was still available I think. Hodge. But the LB's were off the board fast.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2006, 12:58 PM
You can't assess a LB without full contact. How is it that Hodge blew up the fullback when there isn't full contact?

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 05:09 PM
B, I agree except I was in favor of trading down and picking up a 2 or a 3. This early in camp, this post is a bit premature.

Rastak
08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
You can't assess a LB without full contact. How is it that Hodge blew up the fullback when there isn't full contact?
Yup.....let's watch the preseason games before judging anything.
Word out of Vikings camp is Nappy Harris is playing very well....it's practice, big deal. Show me in a game situation.

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Trading down was my thought after the Super one was going to be off the board. If people are still saying this after years end, than one can say the pick wasn't the correct pick.

Partial
08-05-2006, 05:48 PM

took a really deep breath and gave it hell

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2006, 05:55 PM

You have a high opinion of Grossman's & Benson's ability to stay healthy and be on the field.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:52 PM

You have a high opinion of Grossman's & Benson's ability to stay healthy and be on the field.

Really. :mrgreen:

Cedric Benson is out about two weeks. His X-Ray was negative.

CaliforniaCheez
08-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Actually, I'm looking forward to Rooggie Bush getting smelling salts on 9/17.

On Family night I think I saw Hawk blow a coverage on Donald Lee and Underwood had to make the tackle downfield. I don't blame Underwood for that catch.

KYPack
08-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Like Yogi says,

"nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

BooHoo
08-06-2006, 08:09 PM
It is too early to be on his back. Give him some time.

TPF
08-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, it'll take time.

the_idle_threat
08-06-2006, 11:26 PM
He's been invisible so far in camp, and now in the scrimmage. I wonder what the cap implications would be if we cut him? :D

I'm just saying ...

Row 67
08-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Who cares? Lets say Hawk is average and Hodge becomes a star? As long as the team is better.

Kind of like a few years ago when Ron Wolf drafted CBs his first three picks. The first two didn't pan out real well but Mike McKenzie, the third one, was one of our best players.

Gone are the days when we were thin at LB. We have four, possibly five legitimate starters on this team now. If someone gets hurt, the backup might actually be better than the starter.

RIPackerFan
08-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Whoa.... One week of practice and we are talking about cutting our first round pick? Come on - let's give him the entire preseason at least.

BooHoo
08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Let's see how he plays in a real game. Even then we should expect some rookie mistakes.

swede
08-07-2006, 10:38 PM

took a really deep breath and gave it hell

I was at the family night scrimmage on Friday and I focused on the linebacker play all evening. Without getting down on Hawk at all--it would be silly to at this point--Hodge was playing downhill and showed speed and good instincts. (So much for measurables. Reaction time, recognition, and economy of movement are important also. Keep on drafting football players, Ted.).

Keep in mind he was playing middle linebacker. That must make some difference in terms of better opportunities to make plays against the inside running game.

The way I saw it, Hawk seemed to be very mentally occupied tracking receivers and carrying out his coverage responsibilities; very few plays came right at him. Nothing to worry about with Hawk at all, the game will slow down for him soon enough. But Abdul Hodge may yet turn out to be a star as well.

It's all good!

the_idle_threat
08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Whoa.... One week of practice and we are talking about cutting our first round pick? Come on - let's give him the entire preseason at least. :lol: