PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the new forums ...

steve823
09-06-2010, 04:01 AM
I haven't really been on this site in the offseason , but I remember there was talk for a new forum. There was a beta and everything.

Can someone update me on what happened to it or is there one and it's just a different url then my current bookmark?

Fritz
09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
I do not know. There was supposed to be a new home page but I don't think that ever happened. I just come to the chat forum.

Patler
09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Ya. We were asked to go to the new test board, post messages, use the features, provide feedback, etc. Many of us did that. The conversion was supposed to happen shortly thereafter. Then nothing.

Personally, I'm looking for a different site.

packerbacker1234
09-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah, the lack of homepage and ambition to get the new forums done does indeed make this place look a tad sloppy, in terms of covering it's basis and taking care of it's fan base.

Packersnews went to crap years ago, so right now I too have been looking for a new, better taken care of, home. Problem is that there just isn't very many sites for this.

Patler
09-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, the lack of homepage and ambition to get the new forums done does indeed make this place look a tad sloppy, in terms of covering it's basis and taking care of it's fan base.

Packersnews went to crap years ago, so right now I too have been looking for a new, better taken care of, home. Problem is that there just isn't very many sites for this.

That's what I am finding. The problem here isn't so much that people have left, as regrettable as that is. That always happens, and I would like to see them come back. The real problem is that we have gained no new contributors. Most chat places like this have turnover, some leave and new ones come. This has been all outflow. I expect it will wither and die, if this continues.

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM
If we start to wither and die, I think we should have a big thread saying we go to a new spot. We can all post our new names at the new site here so we can carry the conversation on at a place that is still getting action.

I like knowing the people I talk to a little. There is some history here that would be great if we could carry on.

pbmax
09-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Just make sure someone has your email address and the migration shouldn't lose any birds.

SkinBasket
09-06-2010, 08:21 AM

That's what I am finding. The problem here isn't so much that people have left, as regrettable as that is. That always happens, and I would like to see them come back. The real problem is that we have gained no new contributors. Most chat places like this have turnover, some leave and new ones come. This has been all outflow. I expect it will wither and die, if this continues.

This has been an ongoing concern since before Madtown bailed on us. When the new guy took over, some of us expressed concern that there wasn't a link from the busted ass home page to the forum and that the site didn't show up in search engines at all. We were told to be patient. It was being worked on. A few months, and a few dozen fewer posters, later, we finally got a link from the homepage to the forum. A link that didn't work. A few months, and even fewer posters, later, we got all this talk of a new forum, and finally a link that took people from the "homepage" to the forum. Now people can't register, and that update never did happen.

I know taking care of a forum requires some work that none of us know or care about, but It's hard to believe this kind of boobery isn't intentional. Who knows what the motivation is and who cares? It's obvious that whoever Madtown handed his golden scepter to doesn't have an interest in even allowing this place to exist as it was, much less making these fabled improvements, given the passive measures taken to strangle it's delicate little neck.

Let it be a lesson in how quickly we moved from democracy at our founding to tyranny in the name of law and order to dysfunction and failure when we were promised change and renewal. The story of mankind,

HowardRoark
09-06-2010, 08:26 AM

This has been an ongoing concern since before Madtown bailed on us. When the new guy took over, some of us expressed concern that there wasn't a link from the busted ass home page to the forum and that the site didn't show up in search engines at all. We were told to be patient. It was being worked on. A few months, and a few dozen fewer posters, later, we finally got a link from the homepage to the forum. A link that didn't work. A few months, and even fewer posters, later, we got all this talk of a new forum, and finally a link that took people from the "homepage" to the forum. Now people can't register, and that update never did happen.

I know taking care of a forum requires some work that none of us know or care about, but It's hard to believe this kind of boobery isn't intentional. Who knows what the motivation is and who cares? It's obvious that whoever Madtown handed his golden scepter to doesn't have an interest in even allowing this place to exist as it was, much less making these fabled improvements, given the passive measures taken to strangle it's delicate little neck.

Let it be a lesson in how quickly we moved from democracy at our founding to tyranny in the name of law and order to dysfunction and failure when we were promised change and renewal. The story of mankind,

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.

red
09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
so, where are we going? some jehova's witness site?

packerchatters is the only decent option i know of, but been there done that

i agree the site is in massive need of new blood. you almost don't even have to come on here anymore, you already know at this point what everyone else on here thinks

falco
09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
It would be nice to get one of our original folks to go about starting a new site we could all travel to. I have to imagine we've got enough tech savvy folks around here that it would be an issue.

The problem is finding someone who wants to take care of this ragtag band of misfits...

red
09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
It would be nice to get one of our original folks to go about starting a new site we could all travel to. I have to imagine we've got enough tech savvy folks around here that it would be an issue.

The problem is finding someone who wants to take care of this ragtag band of misfits...

and pay for it

MJZiggy
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM

So who around here knows anything about setting up the css, etc.? And we'd need a new name...that isn't already taken.

Brando19
09-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Don't forget me. If you all leave to another site, let me know. The admin doesn't give a shit about this site.

red
09-06-2010, 09:37 AM

So who around here knows anything about setting up the css, etc.? And we'd need a new name...that isn't already taken.

packer exiles?

we move around enough

Administrator
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I'll give a brief explanation, then I'm closing the thread.

If you want to leave, I can't stop you, but planning it on my forum? I don't think so.

I'm having difficulty making Vbulletin work. It is a combination of not being familiar with the software and not having the time to do it, or the drive to read up on it.

I recognize that some of you don't care, and that's fine. I've reached out to a few people for help and was told "no". So, that's where I am.

If you're interested in helping drop me a pm. If you're not, that's fine too.

Administrator
09-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I received a question about not wanting to "butter" up the posters.

I've told you all that I'm glad you're here, but planning an exit? I'm supposed to be OK with that? Why is that?