PDA

View Full Version : Friggin' Deer

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Dude hit a deer on the track somewhere in Wisconsin.

Champ Car driver da Matta seriously injured in collision with deer

ELKHART LAKE, United States (AFP) - Champ Car driver Cristiano da Matta has undergone emergency surgery for a subdural hematoma after hitting a deer in a testing session at Road America race track.

"After arriving at Theda Clark Medical Center a head CT scan showed Cristiano had suffered a subdural hematoma," Champ Car medical director Chris Pinderski said in a statement describing da Matta's head injury.

"He was urgently taken to the operating room for surgical removal of the hematoma and is now being observed in the intensive care unit."

Gary Mason, a spokesman for da Matta's RuSport team, confirmed Thursday evening that the 32-year-old Brazilian driver, who was airlifted to the hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin, remained unconscious and under observation in intensive care but did not immediately have more information.

"Now it's a matter of waiting and seeing," Mason said.

Da Matta has 12 Champ Car victories to his credit, including four straight in 2002, when he won the series title.

He left Champ Car for Formula One in 2003 and 2004, his best finishes three sixth places in 28 starts.

He returned to Champ Car last season and won in Portland.

He started 2006 with Dale Coyne Racing and switched to RuSport in mid-season. His best finish this season was his runner-up placing on Sunday in San Jose, California, behind two-time defending series champion Sebastien Bourdais.

"It's great to get this result because I admit there have been some times when I wondered if it was going to happen again,'" da Matta said Sunday.

RuSport announced that da Matta's teammate Justin Wilson would not take part in the final day of testing on Friday at Road America, where the Champ Car series is scheduled to race on September 24.

red
08-04-2006, 08:34 AM
he must have taken the legs out and had the body of the deer hit him right in the head.

unreal, that had to be one giant mess

you know i was that track a few years back i wondered how they managed to keep deer off the track, i guess they don't

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 08:37 AM
The fancy gardens, when they want to keep the deer out, just put up a high fence...seems to work.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Introduce a nice family of coyotes.

Go - animal Cosmo.