PDA

View Full Version : Punt Returners

vince
09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Twitterville is all atweet in panic over McCarthy's announcement that Tramon Williams and/or Greg Jennings will be returning punts.

I think this is great news, but I wonder if I may be in the minority.

What say you Rats?

retailguy
09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Both are surprising, but not that big of a deal. Why not? You can't fear injuries.

The real issue with special teams is the protection. Until that improves it wouldn't matter if you put Barry Sanders back there.

red
09-06-2010, 01:34 PM
i don't like it at all

retailguy
09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
i don't like it at all

:D :lol: Do you like anything? :lol:

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Honestly, I love it. Jennings is a dynamite weapon. He fielded punts as a rookie. I remember all through TC he never dropped the ball. I don't remember him doing much of it in the season. He was our #2 WR and had a big year and he was injured.

I'd completely support Jennings as our punt returner. In fact, I'll be ecstatic if he lines up back there on Sunday. Our ST's instantly changes from pedestrian to dangerous with that move. The odds of us losing the ST's battle go down in every game for the rest of the season if he plays there.

Tony Oday
09-06-2010, 01:39 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! BAD MM

Remember when Harris got hurt on ST? This is dumb. Get a guy that can catch and doesnt fumble...that is all I care about.

retailguy
09-06-2010, 01:41 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! BAD MM

Remember when Harris got hurt on ST? This is dumb. Get a guy that can catch and doesnt fumble...that is all I care about.

Wasn't that Woodson? You can't fear injury. You can't be stupid about it, either, but you can't fear it.

We're thin a CB, so it's a bit surprising, but hey, why not give it a try?

pittstang5
09-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Not sure I like it as well, again, because of the injury factor...just like I'd try my hardest to actually call the Packers Organization to bitch, scream...what have you if Woodson was put back there.

BUT....if I had to pick, I'd prefer Jennings back there, just from a pure depth perspective. If any one of the WRs go down, the Packers have very good depth at the position and shouldn't miss too much.

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Not putting a good player as returner shows Mac doesn't care much about ST's. ST's is just as much a chance to make plays as offense or defense. When you put your worst players on ST's and your best ones on offense, it's just obvious that ST's isn't thought of as highly as offense or defense.

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm hoping it's Jennings. Jennings would be the best at it.

vince
09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping it's Jennings. Jennings would be the best at it.I agree with this. Be smart about it and there shouldn't be too much risk, IMO.

Patler
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Is there really an increased injury factor? Or are we all just assuming there is?
Is fielding a punt and returning it any less worthy of either player doing it than for Jennings to go across the middle for a short reception when the team is down by 25? or if it's 3rd and 35?

Don't know how anyone can complain about the Packers not giving enough importance to returners, then complain when they use a good player to do it. It's either important, or its not.

RashanGary
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Is there really an increased injury factor? Or are we all just assuming there is?
Is fielding a punt and returning it any less worthy of either player doing it than for Jennings to go across the middle for a short reception when the team is down by 25? or if it's 3rd and 35?

Don't know how anyone can complain about the Packers not giving enough importance to returners, then complain when they use a good player to do it. It's either important, or its not.

I had a post at another forum that was exactly like this. If ST's plays really are just as important as offense plays, then we should be putting good players in spots to make plays. In fact, putting a guy like Swain back there would just prove we don't think of ST's plays as important as offense plays.

retailguy
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Well, I guess I'm assuming that there is a greater injury risk. On a WR play over the middle, typically only a few guys are in position to make a tackle. In theory, depending on which way the returner runs, all 11 defenders could make a tackle.

I don't believe that the injury risk is enough risk to not do it, but I do think it does expose your best players to a slightly increased injury risk.

That being said, if our protection were better... :whist:

Fritz
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Not sure I like it as well, again, because of the injury factor...just like I'd try my hardest to actually call the Packers Organization to bitch, scream...what have you if Woodson was put back there.

BUT....if I had to pick, I'd prefer Jennings back there, just from a pure depth perspective. If any one of the WRs go down, the Packers have very good depth at the position and shouldn't miss too much.

I think Jennings is the guy to do it. You've got depth at wr if he goes down. I applaud the move.

vince
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Lori Nickel said Nelson indicated that the punt return situation is not assigned yet. Bedard said Nelson and Williams both "confirmed" that they are #1 in the respective return duties.

Lurker64
09-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd really prefer it if we had some people in on the PR/KR team who could block opposing tacklers more effectively. With the way we've blocked on returns, it doesn't really matter whether it's Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, or Jason Spitz out there returning punts.

Guiness
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Maybe ST's are 'safer' now that rules have changed? I tend to think there are more full speed collisions on ST's than regular plays, but maybe that's changed.

I think it's more about being 'fresh' for the O plays. If Jennings is out there running around returning a punt, is he winded when he lines up for 1st and 10? I bet his production drops on that down. And how effective is he at the end of a game if he returned 3 or 4 punts?

I know these guys are in incredible shape, but everyone has a limit.

Brohm
09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Neon Deion wanted to return punts! :D If Jennings and Williams want to do it, I have no problem with it. Woodson on the other hand I would not be so sure on and only because it's a 33 yr old taking the hits as opposed to a 25 yr old, just is what it is.

Brandon494
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Jennings? Yes because we have depth at that position

Williams? Hell no, you want Sheilds as your #2 CB if Williams got hurt?

vince
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Here are McCarthy's comments on the subject from his post-practice press conference.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-Press-Conf-Transcript---Sept-6/0caf3c8f-741a-4341-b18d-1ea63925e489

(What are your options at returner?)
I think our options are clear. Everybody here goes to practice. I feel good about the returners that we are working. I feel good about Jordy Nelson and Brandon Jackson in the kickoff return and I feel good about Tramon Williams and Greg Jennings in the punt return if that is the direction we go. We’re going to compete on special teams and we’re going to give our football team the opportunity to play with good field position. All of the work that we have done in the offseason in training camp, it’s about putting the returner in a position to be successful. We’ll make sure we have the best guy back there with the football.

(Do you take into account how important a guy is from scrimmage? Are you reluctant to use guys?)
You factor all that in. I think that’s common knowledge. I don’t really refer to how other coaches do it. I also have a history that I can look back on, on how I’ve approached the game as far as special teams, who’s the returner, who’s not, from ’06, ’07, ’08 and ’09. I think some of the decisions I made in ’07 were probably the most aggressive decisions from a personnel standpoint, and that was the healthiest team I’ve coached. Does that play hand in hand? Who has the answers to those questions? But we’re going to line up, and we’re going to line up to win football games, and I’m talking about all three phases. So we’re going to have the best returner possible back there.

(Last time we saw Jordy returning kicks in a game, he was benched against Arizona. Has he improved?)
I think the injury that he had affected him a little bit in the return game last year. I don’t see that anymore. I think he was a little hesitant in that particular game. But I think he’s done a very good job, and we’ve changed some things schematically in our return game that I think plays to Jordy’s strengths. I like the body of work that Jordy Nelson has given us returning the football on kickoffs in the preseason.

falco
09-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Williams has returned in the past and looked fine. In fact, he ran a punt back in 08 (I think) for a TD and was special teams player of the week for the NFL or NFC.

vince
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/09/06/williams-ready-to-return-punts/

Williams ready to return punts
Posted by Rob Demovsky September 6th, 2010, 2:38 pm
It seems like a gamble, but the Green Bay Packers are going to use starting cornerback Tramon Williams as their punt returner in Sunday’s season opener at Philadelphia.

Williams has returned punts before — six in 2007 (including one for a touchdown) and 13 in 2009 — but now he’s a starter at a position that is already dangerously thin on depth. Putting Williams at further risk for an injury is, well, risky.

But he’s ready for it.

“At this point, I don’t think no one else is coming in here so I’ll most likely be back there,” Williams said after practice today. “It’s not a problem though. I’m ready for it. It’s something I’ve done in the past. It’s nothing new.”

An injury to Williams would be devastating for a secondary that already will be without former cornerback Al Harris, who will miss at least the first six games while continuing to rehab his surgically repaired knee. Also, cornerback Brandon Underwood (shoulder) isn’t expected to play this week, leaving undrafted rookie Sam Shields as the likely nickel cornerback.

That said, Williams doesn’t plan on playing things safe just to avoid injury. So don’t expect to see him back there calling for a fair catch every time.

“I’ve never been the type of guy who takes the conservative way out,” Williams said. “In my book, that’s the way people get hurt, trying to be safe. Just go out and play.”

The decision to use Williams on punt returns was born out of the decision to release Will Blackmon, who was slow to return from a knee injury. What’s more, coach Mike McCarthy said starting receiver Greg Jennings would be the second option on punt returns.

Backup receiver Jordy Nelson will handle kickoff returns.

– Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

hoosier
09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Along similar lines, some observers have linked Devin Hester's decline as a punt returner to his installation as a starter on offense. I have never seen a concise explanation as to how that is supposed to work, but it would be interesting to come up with a list of players who have starred on offensive or defensive units and who have also been asked to return kicks. Tim Brown did both for a couple of years for the Raiders. DeSean Jackson returned punts last yera for Philly. Steve Smith did it for about a year with Carolina. Not too many examples out there, and many cases of young players who cut their teeth returning kicks and then stop when they begin to emerge as full-time players.

pbmax
09-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I'd really prefer it if we had some people in on the PR/KR team who could block opposing tacklers more effectively. With the way we've blocked on returns, it doesn't really matter whether it's Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, or Jason Spitz out there returning punts.
I am praying some of that cluster bleep in the Kansas City game was the musical chairs in Special Teams assignment.

Patler
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Along similar lines, some observers have linked Devin Hester's decline as a punt returner to his installation as a starter on offense. I have never seen a concise explanation as to how that is supposed to work, but it would be interesting to come up with a list of players who have starred on offensive or defensive units and who have also been asked to return kicks. Tim Brown did both for a couple of years for the Raiders. DeSean Jackson returned punts last yera for Philly. Steve Smith did it for about a year with Carolina. Not too many examples out there, and many cases of young players who cut their teeth returning kicks and then stop when they begin to emerge as full-time players.

Deion Sanders returned punts throughout his career, some year more than others. He had at least 20 returns in seven different seasons from his 1st to his 12th. Tim Brown was Oakland's primary punt returner until he was 30.

hoosier
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Sanders and Brown were not only good returners, they were also very good at not exposing their bodies to direct hits. If Jennings can do it as well as those guys and stay as healthy, great.

Fritz
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
On key phrase that no one has mentioned from McCarthy's comments: "If that is the direction we go."

Hmm. Bet they have their eyes on someone out there.

Patler
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
On key phrase that no one has mentioned from McCarthy's comments: "If that is the direction we go."

Hmm. Bet they have their eyes on someone out there.

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. TT made an "if" statement during his press conference that made me think he may have some ideas.

It will be interesting to see if they have anyone in for tryouts in the next couple days.

bobblehead
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
After a highly successful season in 1997, Sehorn suffered a debilitating knee injury, tearing both his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments, returning the opening kickoff in the 1998 preseason game against the New York Jets.[5] Though Sehorn returned the next season, his speed was greatly diminished.

I believe the giants tried this trick once upon a time.

ThunderDan
09-06-2010, 09:13 PM

This is exactly it!!!

3 or 4 players get downfield on kick coverage without getting blocked every time. It doesn't matter who you put back there if 3 guys are running free.

Pugger
09-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Both are surprising, but not that big of a deal. Why not? You can't fear injuries.

The real issue with special teams is the protection. Until that improves it wouldn't matter if you put Barry Sanders back there.

+1

pbmax
09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
After a highly successful season in 1997, Sehorn suffered a debilitating knee injury, tearing both his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments, returning the opening kickoff in the 1998 preseason game against the New York Jets.[5] Though Sehorn returned the next season, his speed was greatly diminished.

Is there a position or unit where a torn ACL wouldn't be a concern? Its mostly a matter of the number of snaps. It probably is a greater risk, but its incremented by about 4-5 snaps a game.

bobblehead
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Is there a position or unit where a torn ACL wouldn't be a concern? Its mostly a matter of the number of snaps. It probably is a greater risk, but its incremented by about 4-5 snaps a game.

I somewhat agree with you, just pointing out the history. Teams don't do it generally for a reason. I personally wouldn't put Jennings in a position that would increase his chances of getting hurt.

I would like to see stats on the serious injuries per snap of a wide receiver vs. a punt returner.

mraynrand
09-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I like this move. You have to believe you can force the other team to punt, even if it seems unlikely.

Noodle
09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Darrell Green, Hall of Fame CB for the Redskins, also did the punt return duties for a brief period. He was really good at it, but on a return against the Bears for a TD, he tore cartilege in his rib cage, and I can remember him getting whacked pretty good.

I'm fine with Nelson doing it, not so much with Tramon, as it will be much harder to replace the latter than the former.

packerbacker1234
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Look, bottom line is, we don't have the sort of players for returners that some other teams do. On top of that, we wouldn't be the only team out there putting some of their best players in on the return game. Remember that Browms WR? He is like, the only weapon they have on offense, and he is their returner.

You need to send a message to your team that special teams can be just as important to winning football games as offense, and its' true. Special teams is the game of field position, and that can go A LONG WAY to helping out the offense and the defense. This is our biggest glaring weakness, and apparently MM is saying "fuck it" and going to do what he thinks is best - and htat is putting the best return people we have on the field.

Right now: Kick Return = Jordy and Brandon

Punt Return Depth = Tramon, and then Jennings - you may see them flip at times based on performance, or based on who is more tired, etc. Like if were facing an extremely pass heavy team, I could see Jennings returning instead, because williams would need the rest.

I am not sure there is really any more risk playing special teams then there is playing any other position on offense or defense. You cannot play with the fear of injury. Period.

I think this is a strong show of how important MM thinks special teams is this year, and I absolutely applaud him for it. There is no reason our return game shouldn't be decent if not pretty good with the playmakers he is putting back there.

vince
09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/this-is-your-team

And so it begins.

It’s been seven long months since we had a Packer football game that mattered to look forward to. The fanbase and, it would seem, Packer coaches and players are thinking Super Bowl. The national media has hopped on board with what seems like every significant national prognosticator picking the Packers to at least reach the big game in Dallas if not outright win the thing.

Now, of course, they have to start playing the games. And the second guessing will begin. “I TOLD you they should have picked up that linebacker”; “What the hell was Thompson thinking not drafting a cornerback?”; And, yes, even “They’re crazy if they think they can use Tramon Williams or Greg Jennings on punt returns.”

That last one obviously was all the talk yesterday on Twitter. I thought the idea was beyond absurd. Alex thought otherwise. After a long night spent dealing with various things and stepping away completely from the blog and Twitter I came to one conclusion:

Alex is right.

Damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead. This team has a chance to do something special and it won’t do it by playing it safe or being tepid in the decisions it makes. If Tramon Williams or, heaven help us, Greg Jennings are the best options, then they are the best options and that’s how they’re gonna roll.

All the second guessing, all the “I told you so’s”, all that nonsense will sure follow us throughout the year – and I’m sure I’ll have more than my fair share along the way. But for this week – I’m on board, one thousand percent. Thompson has made all the right moves. McCarthy and his coaches have the lineup perfectly set. The coaches and players have, for the most part, been working and preparing since March.

That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect.

"This is your team." (http://vimeo.com/14753938)

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth

Among the late-developing storylines of Week 1 has been the identities of NFC North kickoff and punt returners. Few of our teams have established players in those roles, and one of them -- the Minnesota Vikings -- traded away their top option last weekend. So based on what coaches and players have said this week, here is our best guess for each role:

Chicago Bears
Kickoffs: Danieal Manning or Johnny Knox
Comment: Manning is a bruising, full-speed returner. Knox had a 102-yard return last season, but the Bears probably want to protect him.
Punts: Devin Hester
Comment: Once the best in the NFL, Hester hasn't had a touchdown in two years.

Detroit Lions
Kickoffs: Stefan Logan or Aaron Brown
Comment: Logan, claimed on waivers over the weekend, averaged 26.7 yards per kickoff return for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season. He had four returns of 40 or more yards.
Punts: Logan
Comment: Averaged 9.3 yards per return last season.

Green Bay Packers
Kickoffs: Jordy Nelson
Comment: He's sure-handed and productive but not necessarily a breakaway threat. Twenty-five of his 36 career returns have gone for more than 20 yards, but longest is 54.
Punts: Tramon Williams
Comment: An excellent open-field runner but a risk given his role as a starting cornerback.

Minnesota Vikings
Kickoffs: Percy Harvin
Comment: Was excellent last season until teams started kicking away from him. Averaged 30.7 yards per return in first half of season and 21.1 yards in second half.
Punts: Bernard Berrian or Greg Camarillo
Comment: Berrian returned a punt 82 yards for a score during a limited tenure in this role two years ago. Camarillo is sure-handed.

swede
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM

This is exactly it!!!

3 or 4 players get downfield on kick coverage without getting blocked every time. It doesn't matter who you put back there if 3 guys are running free.

Maybe there were some negative dynamics at work during the pre-season.

If Player A makes his block Player B scores a touchdown and takes Player A's spot on the team thus creating a deincentive for blocking. :shock:

vince
09-07-2010, 12:12 PM
2008 PRO BOWL RETURN MAN CLIFTON SMITH IS HEADING TO GREEN BAY...

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/clifton-smith-visiting-green-bay-decision-forthcoming?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CheeseheadTv+%28Cheesehead+TV %29

Clifton Smith Visiting Green Bay, Decision Forthcoming
By Brian Carriveau on Sep 07, 2010

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back and All-Pro kick returner Clifton Smith is visiting with the Packers in Green Bay today, according to his agent Jason Lamont Dillard.

“We’re thinking about it right now,” said Dillard.

At this point, no signing is imminent as Smith is mulling offers from other teams. However, Dillard indicated that the timeframe for a decision is today.

Ironically, Smith was cut from the Buccaneers after Tampa Bay claimed former Green Bay running back Kregg Lumpkin. Smith and rookie offensive tackle Derek Hardman to make room for Lumpkin and fellow waiver pick-up center Ted Larson (from New England).

MORE TO COME…

The Bucs originally had Smith on their roster, but released him after picking up Kregg Lumpkin off waivers. He missed the first 2 games of preseason while battling knee pain related to gout. He was on IR last year after suffering two concussions.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
How come they let that guy go?

PUNT RETURNS
2009 - 23 returns for 10.1 average
2008 - 23 returns for 14.1 average

KICK RETURNS
2009 - 31 returns for 29.1 average
2008 - 36 returns for 27.6 average

I don't know the guy that well, but those are great numbers.

pbmax
09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Gout and 2 concussions? :shock:

I preferred when they pretended they were not worried. Who gets the axe if he signs? I think its got to be Patrick Lee. Or Crabtree. McDonald, if they aren't worried about 9 lineman on the 53 man roster.

pbmax
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM

PUNT RETURNS

KICK RETURNS

I don't know him either Harv, but with Gout, 2 brain injuries and a balky knee, he might be my Grandfather's age. :lol:

vince
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
He also has put the ball on the ground quite a bit. 7 fumbles in 20 games played. We'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM

PUNT RETURNS

KICK RETURNS

I don't know him either Harv, but with Gout, 2 brain injuries and a balky knee, he might be my Grandfather's age. :lol:

Interesting, but he had originally made their final 53--before they claimed Lumpkin. That tells me that they weren't that worried about him.

Yeah, the fumbles stick out. Those numbers are fantastic though.

He was 1st in the NFL in kick returns among those with 20+ returns in 2009. He was 5th in 2008.

He was 11th in the NFL in punt returns among those with 20+ returns in 2009. He was 2nd in 2008.

vince
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
And in fairness, only 2 of the fumbles were on kickoff returns (in 2 years) and 1 on punt returns.

3 were while rushing and 1 while receiving...

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
We have a few guys that I wouldn't cry over, if they got cut. Nick McDonald, Quinn Johnson, Tom Crabtree being three of them.

Fritz
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Gout and 2 concussions? :shock:

I preferred when they pretended they were not worried. Who gets the axe if he signs? I think its got to be Patrick Lee. Or Crabtree. McDonald, if they aren't worried about 9 lineman on the 53 man roster.

Sounds like a pirate to me. No wonder he played for the Buccaneers.

Brandon494
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
We have a few guys that I wouldn't cry over, if they got cut. Nick McDonald, Quinn Johnson, Tom Crabtree being three of them.

How about Korey Hall? No one ever talks about him being cut for such an average player. I would prefer to keep Johnson over Hall.

swede
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
And Swain is the swollen appendix among the receiving corps. He is not recovered from that knee injury. Dr. swede would recommend a Swainectomy before cutting anyone else.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM

How about Korey Hall? No one ever talks about him being cut for such an average player. I would prefer to keep Johnson over Hall.

Hall has done enough to be considered the starting FB and he's a much better special teams player. Kuhn is a good special teams player and a backup at FB and HB. Johnson is on the team for potential, but I'm not sure I like to keep a prospect around at a position so unimportant.

Bossman641
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
And Swain is the swollen appendix among the receiving corps. He is not recovered from that knee injury. Dr. swede would recommend a Swainectomy before cutting anyone else.

Yes. I would cut Swain or MacDonald before I would cut Johnson.

If we went 5 WR I'd much rather see Finley as a WR then Swain.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Yes. I would cut Swain or MacDonald before I would cut Johnson.

If we went 5 WR I'd much rather see Finley as a WR then Swain.

I must be the only one who sees potential in Swain. Yes, his knee isn't quite back, but I think he has a future in the NFL. I like his hands and toughness, and I think he has some quickness to him to run the slot routes.

vince
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
More on Smith from the link above, which has been amended with additional information...

Since coming into the league as an undrafted free agent in 2008, Smith has a career kick return average of 28.3 yards on 67 attempts and 12.1 yards on 46 punt returns.

But he also has a reputation as a fumbler. The Buccaneers have lost possession of the ball four times on Smith’s seven career fumbles coming on both offense and on returns.

His best season was his rookie year in 2008 when he was named to both the Associated Press All-Pro team and the NFC Pro Bowl squad after returning one kick and one punt each for a touchdown.

There are several medical concerns surrounding Smith. After an impressive rookie season, Smith had an injury-plagued second year that saw him suffer a concussion when he took a hit from Dante Wesley of the Carolina Panthers while awaiting a punt that led to Wesley’s ejection from the game. He was then placed on injured reserve later in the season following a second concussion.

Smith also missed the first two games of the 2010 exhibition season while battling knee pain resulting from complications with gout. Although he returned for the third and fourth preseason games.

The Buccaneers decided to let go Smith when they had other options available to them in the return game despite the potential of Smith.

“That was a touch call,” said Tampa Bay head coach Raheem Morris yesterday. “Obviously, one of the sentimental favorites. Obviously, one of those guys that you really have to negotiate with yourself and with what is going on, but with the emergence of a guy like Kareem Huggins, with the emergence of what a guy like Sammie [Stroughter] is able to do in the return game, with the emergence of a guy like [Micheal] Spurlock who is coming back, a guy like [Preston] Parker, and all those different type of returner guys that we have and all the guys that have played different positions, he really was one of the guys that we had to make one of those tough decisions on.

“There is no doubt in my head that he will definitely be one of those guys to go stick somewhere else and find a way to get back here and do something that I am going to regret,” said Morris. “I’m going to have to hug him at the end of the game–win, lose, or draw–because he is definitely one of those guys that you love and care about, and he’s definitely one of our favorite Buccaneers of all time.”

At 5-9 and 190 pounds, Smith also plays running back and could conceivably assume the third halfback role on the team unless the Packers decide to stick with John Kuhn. In his two years in Tampa Bay, Smith has done nothing to stand out on the offensive side of the ball tallying only 12 total carries for 47 yards and adding 6 receptions for 26 yards.

The Buccaneers also credit him for having 14 special teams tackles for his play on coverage units.

pbmax
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
From the Jason Wilde Twitter fabulousness, a link to this Twitter from a Twitterer named CliftonSwift22:

http://twitter.com/CliftonSmith22/status/23244564185

Green bay here I come!!!
about 2 hours ago via Echofon

Prediction: the co-mingling of personal info on Twitter and the professional, public availability of it will cause more, not fewer, problems in the future. Mike Wise was just the latest casualty. If you want to know where Greg Bedard's family is, you can just follow his or Wilde's Twitter account.

swede
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
From the Jason Wilde Twitter fabulousness, a link to this Twitter from a Twitterer named CliftonSwift22:

Green bay here I come!!!

Prediction: the co-mingling of personal info on Twitter and the professional, public availability of it will cause more, not fewer, problems in the future. Mike Wise was just the latest casualty. If you want to know where Greg Bedard's family is, you can just follow his or Wilde's Twitter account.

Well right now Bedard is in the Lambeau parking lot with a pair of binoculars trying to figure out who is being called in early to turn in their playbook.

mraynrand
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
If you want to know where Greg Bedard's family is, you can just follow his or Wilde's Twitter account.

I don't want to know.

vince
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Well right now Bedard is in the Lambeau parking lot with a pair of binoculars trying to figure out who is being called in early to turn in their playbook. :lol:

pbmax
09-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Green bay here I come!!!

Well right now Bedard is in the Lambeau parking lot with a pair of binoculars trying to figure out who is being called in early to turn in their playbook.
Its surprisingly easy to mount wireless webcams to the heads of small children and sneak them through security.

vince
09-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Here's a little Clifton Smith video..
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-pro-bowl/09000d5d80e488a7
Showed a lot of slipperiness in the Pro-Bowl...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9uaQ_q1KTI

Reminiscient of Allen Rossum a bit.

Brandon494
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
This guy ran a kick return back 83 yards against us last year. Seems he has some fumbling problems but worth the risk IMO. Sign him and cut either Swain, Crabtree, or Mcdonald. Don't even think about cutting Quin Johnson. :D

Tony Oday
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
We need a returner because Williams shouldnt even be considered! :)

I say cut Bishop ;) hehe But wouldnt Swain be the one?

bobblehead
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm predicting this is the end of the line for Quinn Johnson.

edit: given my 2010 success rate Mr. Johnson should feel pretty safe.

vince
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Man green bay was amazing I loved the great tradition out here now it's time to fly to option #2 and make a decision
He mentiones Green Bay by name openly but not the other "option" by name? I don't think there is another option right now...

get louder at lambeau
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Man green bay was amazing I loved the great tradition out here now it's time to fly to option #2 and make a decision
He mentiones Green Bay by name openly but not the other "option" by name? I don't think there is another option right now...

Sounds like he wants more money.

CliftonSmith22: #greenbayfans thank you for all the love you've shown me. Im making this decision based on family and on business because it is a business
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:59 PM

CliftonSmith22: I found out the hard way that owners and organizations love their families more than mine so now as a businessman I have to have the same
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:01 PM

vince
09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Well if there is another team, then it would be a surprise to see Ted get into a bidding war for him.

Just saw this...

RT @CliftonSmith22: On my way to Miami now

and this...

Concussion issues with Clifton Smith were a big concern to the Packers.
Sounds like Ted low-balled him.

Brandon494
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Well if there is another team, then it would be a surprise to see Ted get into a bidding war for him.

Just saw this...

I guarntee he'll sign with the Fins over us.

I hope Im wrong.

vince
09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
@CliftonSmith22: I'd love to be in green and gold ... but this is business and have to (do) best for my family

And in Miami he'll stay:

MichiganPackerFan
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Lets try Quinn Johnson returning. Jordy securely fields it and tucks it into his arms and then he bashes his way down the field in a straight line, distributing pain in his wake.

Patler
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I hope he remembers to add the Super Bowl winner's compensation to his GB salary for comparison purposes! :lol:

get louder at lambeau
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Just saw this...

I hope Im wrong.

I'm thinking so too.

Why would a young black guy who lives in a big city in FL want to move to GB over another big city in FL? Unless he just really hates Florida, that's a no brainer.

Let's see, big city with beaches, nightlife, and palm trees... or Green Bay. Big city with beaches and palm trees... Green Bay, Wisconsin. Hmmm... Tough one.

Fritz
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Is it worse to mount a wireless head cam or a sheep?

pbmax
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Is it worse to mount a wireless head cam or a sheep?
No, but tougher to find sheep sized Packer gear.

vince
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Just saw this...

I hope Im wrong.

I'm thinking so too.

Why would a young black guy who lives in a big city in FL want to move to GB over another big city in FL? Unless he just really hates Florida, that's a no brainer.

Let's see, big city with beaches, nightlife, and palm trees... or Green Bay. Big city with beaches and palm trees... Green Bay, Wisconsin. Hmmm... Tough one.
I don't know anything about this guy personally, but he is married with kids, so I'm not sure nightlife, etc. will play a role. I think it's about the jack, like it always is.

I'm not saying TT should be throwing a bunch of money at the guy. I like how TT establishes a value for a player and is disciplined, not desperate.

pbmax
09-07-2010, 06:11 PM

CliftonSmith22: #greenbayfans thank you for all the love you've shown me. Im making this decision based on family and on business because it is a business

CliftonSmith22: I found out the hard way that owners and organizations love their families more than mine so now as a businessman I have to have the same

OK, what am I missing about Twitter? Both this weekend (bedard and wilde) and now cliftonsmith22, once I load a page and look at the Tweets, it seems like another 24 hours before the page will update in my browser. is this because I am not a member?

I know my way around a browser pretty well and have cleared the entire cache several times. Nothing from CliftonSmith22 appears to me after he says hello to GB. Everything from that time period still is dated 1 hour ago.

Sorry for the threadjack. And Frtiz's sheepjack.

vince
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I use TweetDeck. It's a nice app that has capabilities that you don't have through your browser. It updates faster I think.

Fritz
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM

OK, what am I missing about Twitter? Both this weekend (bedard and wilde) and now cliftonsmith22, once I load a page and look at the Tweets, it seems like another 24 hours before the page will update in my browser. is this because I am not a member?

I know my way around a browser pretty well and have cleared the entire cache several times. Nothing from CliftonSmith22 appears to me after he says hello to GB. Everything from that time period still is dated 1 hour ago.

Sorry for the threadjack. And Frtiz's sheepjack.

I thought the whole point of sheep was that you didn't have to jack?

But that's not off topic. Vince, I think, said this whole thread was about jack.

vince
09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Packers didn't offer him a contract. Too concerned about the concussions. My question is, why even invite him up if that's the case?

I would love to be in green and gold it was a dream of mine growing up to the leap after I scored!! But this is a cold business and I have
To go where it was in the best for me and my family... Because after this game is over my Lil girl won't have to work for anybody
Just sayin'
Let me clear something up GB never offered me anything but a workout and I do play for money the money never takes away how much I love this.
Is always love first money second.. But when you are out in the cold with a family because of that state of mind some things have to change!

get louder at lambeau
09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
OK, what am I missing about Twitter?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Then I tried the RSS Feed icon on the lower right hand side of the page, and twitter became slightly less gay. (No offense to the LGBT community.)

mission
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Packers didn't offer him a contract. Too concerned about the concussions. My question is, why even invite him up if that's the case?

I would love to be in green and gold it was a dream of mine growing up to the leap after I scored!! But this is a cold business and I have
To go where it was in the best for me and my family... Because after this game is over my Lil girl won't have to work for anybody
Just sayin'
Let me clear something up GB never offered me anything but a workout and I do play for money the money never takes away how much I love this.
Is always love first money second.. But when you are out in the cold with a family because of that state of mind some things have to change!

I wonder if that was a direct reply to me:

@CliftonSmith22 well 1 things for certain: if you pick Miami, no one will wonder whether you play to win or play for money.

Kind of an asshole tweet, but I love having that kind of access. Can't help myself. :D

vince
09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow. You are an asshole. I was trying to butter him up and you go and piss him off! :)

Nicely done getting him to open up more and give the straight scoop... :wink:

mission
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow. You are an asshole. I was trying to butter him up and you go and piss him off! :)

Nicely done getting him to open up more and give the straight scoop... :wink:

Haha, honestly I didn't even get the urge to say anything to him until I read the "@cliftonsmith22" search results and saw all these Packer fans begging him to reconsider. I'm thinking: if this guy doesn't see it, then he must just be a punk.

Didn't really know he had a family and that we didn't even offer him a contract so yeah, I'm a prick. Cool that he said something though. I wonder if Bedard will credit "PackerRat's Mission" on the huge, breaking news. :lol:

channtheman
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
So it would appear the Clifton Smith Green Bay era has ended before it ever began. :(

I second the notion for Quinn Johnson to return kick offs though. He would finally have something to say to those people who think he doesn't contribute on ST's.

Fritz
09-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I still like the idea of using Jennings.