PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Eight To Practice Squad

green_bowl_packer
09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Packers Sign Eight To Practice Squad

Posted 3 hours ago

The Green Bay Packers signed eight players to the practice squad. The signings were announced Monday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Signed to the practice squad were tackle Chris Campbell, linebacker Robert Francois, tackle Breno Giacomini, quarterback Graham Harrell, running back James Johnson, safety Anthony Levine, linebacker Maurice Simpkins and wide receiver Chastin West.

A 5-foot-11, 207-pound first-year player out of Kansas State, Johnson entered the NFL as a non-drafted free agent in 2008 with the Cincinnati Bengals. He played in four games in ’08 for Cincinnati, spent time on the Bengals’ practice squad in 2008 and 2009, and was with Cincinnati during the preseason this year. Johnson also was with the Minnesota Vikings this offseason. He will wear No. 39.

The other seven signees to the practice squad were with the Packers during training camp.

Gave Quinn Porter his outright release too.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-Sign-Eight-To-Practice-Squad/f6f8eac3-184a-4f80-93a0-9cf7b687ac43

Brohm
09-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Will be interesting to see if they sign Porter to the PS after the settlement time is over.

vince
09-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Fritz
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Chris Campbell & Simpkins but no Chery. Interesting. Was he a one-and-done flash in the pan?

falco
09-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I liked what I saw of Simpkins in the last pre-season game. Is he an ILB? I could see him pushing Bishop off the team next year.

Brohm
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I liked what I saw of Simpkins in the last pre-season game. Is he an ILB? I could see him pushing Bishop off the team next year.

I thought he was a bit small at 6'0" and 236 lbs. But then hawk is 6'1" and 245, so I guess not by much, and he is definately willing to hit :P I guess it doesn't matter then if it's a tackle or blowing up a lead block.

Lurker64
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Well put.

vince
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/09/06/johnson-newest-addition-to-packers/

Johnson newest addition to Packers
Posted by Kareem Copeland September 6th, 2010, 2:47 pm
There was one new face in the Packers locker room Monday and plenty of old ones gone.

The new guy: running back James Johnson (5-foot-11, 207 pounds).

Johnson was signed to the practice squad Sunday after being released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday. He arrived home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on Saturday evening and was at the grocery store on Sunday when Johnson first got a call from his agent, then the Packers.

“I was at the grocery store with my girlfriend, I had to put all my stuff back,” Johnson said. “They called me at 2 p.m. and I had to leave at 4:50 p.m. … I still had my stuff packed.”

Johnson played four games for the Bengals in 2008 and rushed 9 times for 29 yards. He spent 2009 on the practice squad before signing with the Vikings during the offseason. Minnesota released him before training camp begin, but the Bengals brought him back for training camp.

Johnson said he was surprised to hear from Green Bay after having no previous contact with the organization. However, he played college ball at Kansas State and was a teammate of receiver Jordy Nelson.

Johnson, actually, is the closest man on the practice squad to being on the active roster. The Packers kept just two halfbacks in Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson with fullback John Kuhn as the No. 3.

“I think it’s a great opportunity,” Johnson said. “I’m just here to do whatever coaches ask me to do. I’m just trying to make the team anyway I can, special teams, running back, whatever.”

Fritz
09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
“I think it’s a great opportunity,” Johnson said. “I’m just here to do whatever coaches ask me to do. I’m just trying to make the team anyway I can, special teams, running back, whatever.”

He sounds like a slut.

CaliforniaCheez
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think I want Jimmy Johnson hanging around.

Lurker64
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't think I want Jimmy Johnson hanging around.

Thanks to ExtenZe he's doing a lot more hanging these days.