PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins and Interceptions

Smidgeon
09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
A little blip that Peter King wrote (referencing a Football Outsider statistic) got me thinking. He said that Nick Collins had dropped eight interceptions over the last two years and that no other defender had dropped more than six.

This intrigued me. After all, Collins has been in the Top 5 in interceptions made in the last two years already (tied for fifth in 2009 and tied for second in 2008). So if nobody in the league dropped an interception, would Collins have the most interceptions in the league over the last two years?

First, there were a couple things to consider: making an interception isn't a judgment call as far as statistics go. It isn't like tackles or missed tackles. Every site should have the same accurate number of interceptions for each player. Dropping an interception, however, is a judgment call. In this case, I had to trust that the people making the comparison (Football Outsiders) were consistent.

Now for the analysis. I first took the data for the top 50 players with completed interceptions from 2008 and 2009 and added them together before re-ranking them.

Things of note after the re-ranking: Woodson leads the league with 16 over the last two years and Collins is tied for second with Asante Samuel with 13. However, Collins is already the top safety by four interceptions.

So I then added eight dropped interceptions to Collins' log and six to everyone else's. Now, it is unrealistic that everyone else dropped six or even that the other players at the top missed that many since they all have a reputation for hanging onto interceptions (Woodson, Samuel, Revis, Goodman, Finnegan, Rodgers-Cromartie), but for the purpose of statistically assessing this, I must assume that everyone else did (since King didn't say who had six).

So in terms of interceptions and possible interceptions, the following are my findings:

Nick collins would have had 21 interceptions in two years if he had caught the eight he dropped. Assuming Woodson had dropped six (unlikely, but statistically necessary) and caught them, he would have ended with 22. The number 1 and number 2 players statistically in the league in terms of getting their hands on the ball for a possible interception (and the only ones over 20). Samuel came in third and Revis fourth before a logjam at fifth.

It can go without saying that these two players are good at getting their hands on the ball. But there is no one in the league better than these two in terms of putting themselves in the position to have the opportunity to catch a ball. Woodson does it with his wiles and Collins with his deceptive speed.

Two reasons why I'm not too concerned about the pass defense for 2010.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, we have two of the best ball hawks in the league. Al Harris isn't a ball hawk, but he goes pretty good with these guys--since by taking away the opponent's best receiver (for the most part) it allows these guys to take more chances while guarding lesser receivers.

The only thing I disagree with is: Nick Collins having deceptive speed. He's been one of the fastest safeties in the NFL since he came into the league, so I don't think there is anything deceptive about it.
:D

Smidgeon
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I also forgot to mention Morgan Burnett. If his professional trajectory follows his college trajectory, he'll be a top 10 ballhawk too. If Woodson could follow Ponce de Leon and find the fountain of youth, then I don't think anyone would want to throw deep against this team for the next five or ten years.

Patler
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah, we have two of the best ball hawks in the league. Al Harris isn't a ball hawk, but he goes pretty good with these guys--since by taking away the opponent's best receiver (for the most part) it allows these guys to take more chances while guarding lesser receivers.

Burnett makes an interesting addition to Collins and Woodson. His game in college was interceptions, with 14 in 40 games played.

Brandon494
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Burnett will make some mistakes this season but this kid is going to be our starting SS for awhile. He reminds me a lot of Collins when he first came to GB.

denverYooper
09-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Burnett makes an interesting addition to Collins and Woodson. His game in college was interceptions, with 14 in 40 games played.

Shields will also be an interesting addition to the group. He's shown a knack for getting to the ball.

mraynrand
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
One thing to consider about INTs: are the dropped INT opportunities because the defensive made a great play to get near the ball or because the guy has hands of stone and drops INTs thrown directly at him? All dropped INTs have to lie somewhere along that spectrum. I'm betting Collins is closer to the side where he made great plays to get near the ball in the first place.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
One thing to consider about INTs: are the dropped INT opportunities because the defensive made a great play to get near the ball or because the guy has hands of stone and drops INTs thrown directly at him? All dropped INTs have to lie somewhere along that spectrum. I'm betting Collins is closer to the side where he made great plays to get near the ball in the first place.

Yeah, he used to drop easy ones. Now, it seems like he gets his hands on a lot of balls, but they are tough catches. Remember the two plays he made against the Colts this preseason. Technically, he got his hands on two balls, but both would have been incredible catches. Either way, I think both came on third down, so the pass deflections provided a benefit in their own right.

mraynrand
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Yeah, he used to drop easy ones. Now, it seems like he gets his hands on a lot of balls, but they are tough catches. Remember the two plays he made against the Colts this preseason. Technically, he got his hands on two balls, but both would have been incredible catches. Either way, I think both came on third down, so the pass deflections provided a benefit in their own right.

And the one where I think Reggie Wayne got behind Williams, Collins covered a lot of ground to get to it - he would have had to catch it very high and then get toe tips down right on the sidelines. In any case, it prevented a third down TD. That's a huge play, even without the INT.

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm all for Collins getting interceptions.

bobblehead
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM

The only thing I disagree with is: Nick Collins having deceptive speed. He's been one of the fastest safeties in the NFL since he came into the league, so I don't think there is anything deceptive about it.
:D

anyone who recalls the 4th and 1 play against oakland a couple years ago where Collins cut down the RB who was sweeping.....that was fast, and not a bit deceptive.

3irty1
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Tramon Williams isn't so bad at playing the ball either. He might not be top 10 but he certainly has the ability to make a QB pay for trying to pick on him. Harris rarely makes mistakes and is the model of great technique for pressing a receiver but isn't much of a threat to make a play on the ball. Jarrett Bush's biggest downfall is his inability to play the ball. Personally I feel his coverage could be a lot worse but since he's not a threat to cause a turnover, there is no deterrent for throwing at him.

gbgary
09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder what the result of the possession was, on each of those drives, for the other team.

Airin' Rodgers
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
If you go back and watch last years game against Detroit, Collins made an absolutely incredible interception.

Went up, caught the ball extremely high, came down with both feet barely in bounds and made the catch