PDA

View Full Version : Can Pete Carrol Coach In the NFL?

pbmax
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Read this PFT blurb (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/08/wednesday-is-not-simply-wednesday-in-pete-carrolls-world/) and the article it points to (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2012833526_kelley08.html).

Part of me wants to believe that someone this earnest (seemingly, if you don't think he blew out of LA ahead of the sheriff's posse) can succeed. But I have serious doubts. There is also the John Schneider factor, I don't know how much of a hand he had in this.

26 players remaining (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/22964/around-the-nfc-west-baddest-cardinal) from last year, lowest in the league. Read the roster breakdown's for the last few years here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2012833321_seahawks_demogr.html).

bobblehead
09-08-2010, 12:35 PM
No time to read the blurb, but he has coached before with mixed success. He was a very good D coordinator as I recall, but never quite had a good situation as a head coach.

I believe he can, but maybe not in the situation he is in.

mission
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I think he falls flat on his face this season.

In way over his head.

pbmax
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
No time to read the blurb, but he has coached before with mixed success. He was a very good D coordinator as I recall, but never quite had a good situation as a head coach.

He took over an aging, but playoff worthy team in New England from Parcells and had trouble keeping the ship afloat. Belicheck did some serious retooling when he took the reigns. But I don't know that Carroll had authority in New England that he has in Seattle. His defense in New England had one bad year but was OK the other two.

Fritz
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
He had it going at SC. I'm still not sure why he left. King of the Hill there and in the country.

How seriously are the NCAA dogs sniffing around his old program there?

Tony Oday
09-08-2010, 02:19 PM
He had it going at SC. I'm still not sure why he left. King of the Hill there and in the country.

He ran away like a little bitch and I hope he gets run over on the sidelines. He will be terrible.

pbmax
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM

They got busted pretty good, but it was not cash in the FedEx envelope fun. No death penalty and the details weren't particularly salacious. The biggest news was the benefits Reggie Bush received and though I could be mistaken, those came to light in part because Bush stiffed his benefactors when it came time to create a formal business relationship after his college playing days had ended.

They lost a season's worth of games and a bunch of scholarships. Basketball took a hit too over OJ Mayo. Carroll went away and the AD lost his job. From Carroll's perspective, the scholarships would have hurt. But he was not named as having taken any prohibited actions.

mraynrand
09-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I keep seeing his helpless face up in the booth as the '95 Packers offense rang him up for two quick TDs to stake a 21-0 lead in the Divisional round that year against SF. He had no answers. I like this blurb from Wiki:

"Carroll was hired for the next season by the San Francisco 49ers, where he served as defensive coordinator for the following two seasons (1995–96). His return to success as the defensive coordinator led to his hiring as the head coach of the New England Patriots in 1997, replacing coach Bill Parcells, who had resigned after disputes with the team's owners"

My take: He will do OK, so long as he doesn't have to deal with too many Terry Glenns.

Cheesehead Craig
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM

He left because he knew the program was going to be busted by the NCAA and he didn't want his rep tarnished by him being the spotlight when it happened. Not many NFL programs would have offered him a HC job when the program he's running is getting sanctions.

It's all going to come down to if he can get good coordinators because I don't really believe that he's all that great himself. Given he won't have talent that's head and shoulders above what everyone else has anymore, I don't think he's going to do well. I'll put the over/under at 3 yrs and he'll be gone.

Guiness
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
It's all going to come down to if he can get good coordinators

Maybe Steve Spurrier is available for OC?

I think Carrol will have about as much luck at HC as SS did. No loaded roster, and a salary cap to contend with.

packerbacker1234
09-08-2010, 06:26 PM

He took over an aging, but playoff worthy team in New England from Parcells and had trouble keeping the ship afloat. Belicheck did some serious retooling when he took the reigns. But I don't know that Carroll had authority in New England that he has in Seattle. His defense in New England had one bad year but was OK the other two.

Well - struggled to keep them afloat? He had 2 playoff trips in 3 seasons.He had a winning record. Honestly, he didn't even get a fair shake in NE to begin with. I do think he is a good coach, and that he can coach in the NFL, but he has a lot of work to do to turn around the seattle team as a franchise, and while Hassleback is a decent QB for now, that future wont include him.

pbmax
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Well - struggled to keep them afloat? He had 2 playoff trips in 3 seasons.He had a winning record. Honestly, he didn't even get a fair shake in NE to begin with. I do think he is a good coach, and that he can coach in the NFL, but he has a lot of work to do to turn around the seattle team as a franchise, and while Hassleback is a decent QB for now, that future wont include him.
I was not close to the situation, so I cannot break it down finer than the general football coverage at the time. But the coverage at the time was that he lost the team and could not command the respect of the veterans.

He took over a Super Bowl participant and lost one full regular season game more in each of his three seasons (from 11 to 10 wins in Season 1, 10 to 9 in #2, 9 to 8 in #3). He was 1-2 in the postseason. I would say that this ship was very big and seaworthy when he took over, but it was taking on water at the end.

Now what I cannot tell you is that he was entirely responsible. It was a veteran team in many ways and could have been getting old and Carroll may not have had final personnel authority. So I cannot fault him completely. And Belicheck in the first post-Carroll year, cleaned house, went 5-11 and in a year was back to 11-5. The first year superficially looks like what Carroll and Schneider are doing in Seattle.

But Carroll's rep as an enthusiastic, player friendly coach and those tinny slogans about the days of the week all seem like hollow slogans to me. I can easily make the connection between that kind of leadership and an inability to relate to veteran professionals.

Now that they are cleaning house of vets, I am curious if his approach will be more successful. Because if he isn't and he has stripped the team of good veterans, then the rebuilding job will take that much longer. For someone else. Ultimately, what I am suggesting is that I, personally, trust Schneider more, but I am not convinced this is his doing.

Kiwon
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Prediction: Pete Carroll will be the second coming of Steve Spurrier. He'll be back in the college ranks in three years.

bobblehead
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Prediction: Pete Carroll will be the second coming of Steve Spurrier. He'll be back in the college ranks in three years.

No comparison between the two. Pete Carroll has been around the NFL. SS had no clue how to coach when he didn't have far superior talent to his opponents.

IF Pete goes for it on 4th and 8 from his own 35 I'll eat my words. Until then its not fair to mention any coach in the same breath as spurrier....not even Ray Rhodes.

pbmax
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM

No comparison between the two. Pete Carroll has been around the NFL. SS had no clue how to coach when he didn't have far superior talent to his opponents.

IF Pete goes for it on 4th and 8 from his own 35 I'll eat my words. Until then its not fair to mention any coach in the same breath as spurrier....not even Ray Rhodes.
Spurrier won while at Duke. Daniel Snyder is the unproven one.

CaptainKickass
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Good lord I sure hope he can't. Living in Seattle everyone's all "excited" to have him because of his college success. It's a LOT more pleasant round these parts when the Chicken-Hawks loose.

But regardless of win/loss record - Carroll has done what some see as failing in the NFL twice. This makes me think he's actually gonna be worse than Jim Mora was last year. Hell - when I'm talking to 'hawks fans, and I bring up the fact that he's tried the NFL twice and ran back home to the college game, they give me a long "shhhhhhhhh" and refuse to even acknowledge that it happened. They start knocking on wood and whatnot.

Plus - Carroll the head coach was hired before Schneider the GM. Haven't there been numerous threads pointing out how this rarely if ever works out?

Kiwon
09-09-2010, 06:49 AM

Well, I just remember the one and done season in New York where he was savaged by the media and fans followed by basically .500 ball on talented New England teams. He was villified both times and then fired.

Of course, his USC success (minus the NCAA violations) speaks for itself.

Kiwon
09-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Spurrier won while at Duke. Daniel Snyder is the unproven one.

Agreed on Snyder.

The 'old ball coach won a national championship at Florida and dominated the toughest conference in college football, the SEC, for 12 seasons. He had the big contract (really open the door for others) which included percentages from TV, radio, team apparel, the works. He had everything....only to get embarrassed in the NFL.

I think Pete Carroll was a better coach in the NFL than his record indicated. It did not help that he was locked into two very unforgiving media markets. The situation in Seattle will be better.

However, after winning with USC, I bet he'll eventually return to a premier college program after a few years of losing.

Bossman641
09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
BUMP

I am in complete shock, but Carroll has the Seahawks up 28-6 on the 49ers

red
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
it sure looks like he can

he can even revive the career of guys that have been out of the league for years

gbgary
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
At least one game.

pbmax
09-12-2010, 09:00 PM
So much for San Fran's run through the NFC West. Holy cow.

retailguy
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM

that was an ugly game.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM

that was an ugly game.

And we're not just talking about the fans.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0812/nfl.fans.week14/images/seahawks-fans.jpg

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Pete Carroll an NFL coach? Really? Get outta here!

Freak Out
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I wonder if SF will finally give Smith the boot? 1 of 15 on 3rd downs? DAYUM!

pbmax
09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, ol' Pete came down to earth again this week with a loss to Denver, 31-14. Denver and its coach seem to be in an impossible state of implosion at all times. So the question is renewed: can Pete Carroll coach in the NFL?

More info coming after we see what the 49ers can do against the Saints Monday night.