PDA

View Full Version : Packers Not That Young Anymore

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, at least they're not in the top 5 youngest.

The Carolina Panthers weren't fooling around when they started their youth movement. It's produced the NFL's youngest roster.

According to STATS LLC, Carolina's average age of 25 years, 233 days is the most youthful in the league. It comes after the Panthers shed numerous veterans in the offseason, then kept nine of 10 draft picks and undrafted rookie Andre Neblett.

Tampa Bay is the second youngest team at 26 years, followed by Jacksonville at 26 years, 31 days, Miami at 26, 120 days and Houston at 26, 150 days.

RashanGary
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I think a lot of us knew this was coming years ago. When you don't look past the surface, it's easy to be surprised when things change.

That said, this is no surprise.

vince
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I'd have to say I trust STATS Inc. more, but Bedard calculated the team's average age to be 25 years and some change. This came in concert with his criticisms of the 53-man roster. I'll try to find his figure.

vince
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102231714.html

The Packers may be in the running for youngest NFL team, a title they've had for four-straight seasons. Average age of the 53-man roster is 25.87. They took the title with 25.70 last year.

The Packers may well have the least experienced team with 3.28 years. Counted rookies and players that haven't played a game as zero years. Veterans are counted with number of years they have played (i.e. Mark Tauscher has 10). The Packers years of experience would have "led" league last season. Bengals were 3.77, Packers second at 3.81. (Possible the NFL calculates it differently).

Packers have 11 players that have never played in an NFL game (20.8% of roster). Seven have played one season.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I'd have to say I trust STATS Inc. more, but Bedard calculated the team's average age to be 25 years and some change. This came in concert with his criticisms of the 53-man roster. I'll try to find his figure.

It could be that one or the other calculates the ages more accurately. One could be counting somebody that is 25 years, 6 months as 25 years. The other could be counting them as 25.5 years. I'd trust STATS Inc. to get it right.

pbmax
09-08-2010, 01:58 PM

It could be that one or the other calculates the ages more accurately. One could be counting somebody that is 25 years, 6 months as 25 years. The other could be counting them as 25.5 years. I'd trust STATS Inc. to get it right.
I suspect something like what Harv mentions is happening. Because in the past, the youngest teams (as covered by PackerRats and local media) all seemed to be in the 25 year range. STATS has the 4 of the Top 5 north of 26.