PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Opener: The Official Packers -v- Eagles Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RashanGary
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8839/arodcowboy.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4292/cm3e.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/15riqoo.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jjqv_F4iq48/R6Y83EMpwUI/AAAAAAAACec/2c7VM6iROR8/s400/lombardi_trophy3.jpg

RashanGary
09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
To quote Cliff Christl, "You want your football team young and fearless." This is a young, talented, fearless bunch. This feels like a special year. Can't wait to get this thing started.

We win this one and many more to come.

retailguy
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
isn't it bad luck to start the game thread 3 days before the game? :huh:

Little Whiskey
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
rodgers could have gone with a bigger belt buckle.

packers11
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
haha I like the pictures... keeping adding more...

RashanGary
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I stole the first two from two other people. I liked them, thought I'd bring them here. The 3rd one, I made.

I just like that phrase, "Haters Gonna Hate."

ThunderDan
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I stole the first two from two other people. I liked them, thought I'd bring them here. The 3rd one, I made.

I just like that phrase, "Haters Gonna Hate."

Did you get Woodbuck's approval before using that?

CaptainKickass
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I can't remember what the unwritten "rules" are regarding who starts the "official" game thread in here.

Wasn't it something like: If they win, you have to start the next one until they loose? But then how do you know who starts the next one? Or the first one?

I never started one so I claim blatant ignorance.

channtheman
09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I can't remember what the unwritten "rules" are regarding who starts the "official" game thread in here.

Wasn't it something like: If they win, you have to start the next one until they loose? But then how do you know who starts the next one? Or the first one?

I believe you are correct that if the team wins the thread starter keeps it going until the team loses, but how it switches from one person to the next I have no clue. I suppose if you make the topic half a week before the game starts you pretty much deserve the honor of starting the thread.

It is quite a frightening sight when the Packers win and then the thread starter is late to the thread the next week. You can see the panic buttons going off all around the forum.

Tarlam!
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
It is quite a frightening sight when the Packers win and then the thread starter is late to the thread the next week. You can see the panic buttons going off all around the forum.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Patler
09-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Packers will lose by two, 30-28, to start the season 0-1, throwing the Packers nation into a frenzy of despair. The defeat largely will be the result of poor ST play, primarily on the kickoff team, but field position will be lost in punting do to the net results of allowing longer returns while generating no long returns. Shields, Burnett and Williams will be victimized in the passing game as the Packers will fail to generate pressure on the QB. Offensively, the Packers will struggle to protect Rodgers, allowing 2 sacks. Finley and Grant will be non-factors. Colledge will begin his annual Jekyl/Hyde performance, leading to his replacement in the starting lineup by game #6.

pbmax
09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Packers will lose by two, 30-28, to start the season 0-1, throwing the Packers nation into a frenzy of despair. The defeat largely will be the result of poor ST play, primarily on the kickoff team, but field position will be lost in punting do to the net results of allowing longer returns while generating no long returns. Shields, Burnett and Williams will be victimized in the passing game as the Packers will fail to generate pressure on the QB. Offensively, the Packers will struggle to protect Rodgers, allowing 2 sacks. Finley and Grant will be non-factors. Colledge will begin his annual Jekyl/Hyde performance, leading to his replacement in the starting lineup by game #6.
Thank you for trying to undo all the vodoo every writer has been placing on the Packers all offseason.

Patler
09-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Thank you for trying to undo all the vodoo every writer has been placing on the Packers all offseason.

Somebody had to do it! :D

CaptainKickass
09-09-2010, 03:50 AM

I believe you are correct that if the team wins the thread starter keeps it going until the team loses, but how it switches from one person to the next I have no clue. I suppose if you make the topic half a week before the game starts you pretty much deserve the honor of starting the thread.

Many is the time I witnessed this virtual freaking out. Wasn't there also some sort of penalty if you started the game thread, they won, and then you failed to start the next thread?

Do i correctly recall this actually happening - and then someone took it upon themselves to go ahead and make the game thread in their place - only to have it backfire when the original person who was supposed to start it finally did, only to have 2 "official game day" threads?

Where's the damn manual?

Brandon494
09-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Wanna bet on that? Not only will we win but Finley will have a monster game.

channtheman
09-09-2010, 07:03 AM

Many is the time I witnessed this virtual freaking out. Wasn't there also some sort of penalty if you started the game thread, they won, and then you failed to start the next thread?

Do i correctly recall this actually happening - and then someone took it upon themselves to go ahead and make the game thread in their place - only to have it backfire when the original person who was supposed to start it finally did, only to have 2 "official game day" threads?

Where's the damn manual?

I seem to remember the 2 "official game day" threads as well.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Ya, I remember the 2 threads as well.

I wish this thread had of been started on gameday as has been the custom. But heck, if the Pack win, maybe JH should continue with his practice.

Little Whiskey
09-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I would guess that since the pack didn't win the superbowl therfore losing the previous game, last season. anyone but the previous game thread starter could start this thread. Hope that wasn't you JH.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 07:20 AM
I think my record is one win. I won't be taking the job anymore in this lifetime. Either GBRulz or 007 had the longest run, IIRC.

Joemailman
09-09-2010, 07:21 AM
This is why you don't start a game day thread 4 days before the game. Nobody's really talking about the game right now. Game Day has a special feeling and should have its own thread that starts on game day. Just MHO.

falco
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM
This is why you don't start a game day thread 4 days before the game. Nobody's really talking about the game right now. Game Day has a special feeling and should have its own thread that starts on game day. Just MHO.

+1. JH, are you new here???

retailguy
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Do you have any idea what would have happened to the game thread if I had posted this?

HowardRoark
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Where's the damn manual?

Harlan is on Elba writing it right now. Finally.

SkinBasket
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
What is there to hate? Rodgers is like maybe one of the top 15 QBs in the league. Maybe one day TT will find a true stud at the position. He just doesn't have "it." Oh, and he gets sacked instead of throwing interceptions.

VermontPackFan
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Wow, that is a sobering thought...but all are possibilities. I have not bought into the Super Bowl hype YET, there are just too many questions now. Too many players have to step up their game now that the games count. I think it can happen...but only after a few weeks will we really know.

But in the short term, I will continue drinking the kool aid and believe that those players will step up and play well enough to win. Or, other teammates (Rodgers, Woodson, Collins) will rise to the occasion and make great plays to compensate for some of the growing pains we will experience the first few weeks.

After a shaky first half, the Pack rolls in the 2nd over an overrated Philly team...
Packers 30
Eagles 17

denverYooper
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm with ya on ST. It's very possible that the Eagles play with a much shorter field than we do all day. I think the secondary gets as much as it gives in the game, making that a push.

This game won't be easy but I think the Pack wins by 4 late.

RashanGary
09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I didn't realize the game thread was such a sacred thing. . . I'm on a quick break at work. I'll change it when I get home to something more appropriate and leave the game thread sanctity in tact.

I was selfishly trying to steal the game thread glory, haha. This will be a, "week of the game" thread or something like that.

vince
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
What is there to hate? Rodgers is like maybe one of the top 15 QBs in the league. Maybe one day TT will find a true stud at the position. He just doesn't have "it." Oh, and he gets sacked instead of throwing interceptions.Doesn't use the middle of the field. He's as good as he's gonna get. Bust.

ThunderDan
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I didn't realize the game thread was such a sacred thing. . . I'm on a quick break at work. I'll change it when I get home to something more appropriate and leave the game thread sanctity in tact.

I was selfishly trying to steal the game thread glory, haha. This will be a, "week of the game" thread or something like that.

Don't do that!!! The thread is started. If you kill it and start another one things will really be FUBAR.

pbmax
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
What is there to hate? Rodgers is like maybe one of the top 15 QBs in the league. Maybe one day TT will find a true stud at the position. He just doesn't have "it." Oh, and he gets sacked instead of throwing interceptions.Doesn't use the middle of the field. He's as good as he's gonna get. Bust.
Al he does is checkdown. He has no stones/arm/heart. All he cares about is his completion percentage. He's a numbers guy.

pbmax
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Do you have any idea what would have happened to the game thread if I had posted this?
Trick question. This post would seem like praise coming from you.

:lol:

bobblehead
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

quoting it is close enough.....you suck!!!

retailguy
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Al he does is checkdown. He has no stones/arm/heart. All he cares about is his completion percentage. He's a numbers guy.

Yeah, and he holds the damn ball too long and makes the line look bad. :evil:

bobblehead
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Don't do that!!! The thread is started. If you kill it and start another one things will really be FUBAR.

Do you have any idea what happens if you cross the streams (could someone more tech saavy than myself please insert a ghostbustes picture).

retailguy
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Do you have any idea what happens if you cross the streams (could someone more tech saavy than myself please insert a ghostbustes picture).

http://therealmtoys.com/wordpressorg/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Ghostbusters.jpg

mraynrand
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Isn't this more like it?

http://www.cosmictap.com/images/ghostbusters-cross-streams.jpg

mraynrand
09-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Or this one?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10959/dont-cross-the-streams-t-shirt.gif

Fritz
09-09-2010, 01:34 PM

You just depressed me. And the game is still days away.

CaptainKickass
09-09-2010, 02:58 PM

I agree - whats done is done. Who knows? Maybe this will work out in our favor.

And JH - it's Packer football, everything surrounding the game is a sacred thing.

Brandon494
09-09-2010, 03:12 PM

You just depressed me. And the game is still days away.

You can't really take what he said serious, the dude said Finley will be a non-factor. :shock:

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
If the offense doesn't come out stumbling and turning the ball over, we will win. The eagles are going to score, I would say between 24-30 points. We have to out score them, its that simple.

Joemailman
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Mike Neal status is uncertain:

(What happened to Mike Neal?)
Mike Neal had a strain of his abdomen yesterday, right at the end of practice. We were watching him today. He went through treatment, and we’ll see where he is in the morning.

vince
09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Guess Harrell's gonna have to pick up the slack again.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
They'll be broadcasting the game on my cable provider. That's great! I just hope Aikman isn't commentating. For some reason I really dislike his game calling.

MJZiggy
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
They'll be broadcasting the game on my cable provider. That's great! I just hope Aikman isn't commentating. For some reason I really dislike his game calling.

I think he stalks us, just to torture us.

retailguy
09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I like Aikman (as an announcer). What's wrong with his play by play?

Joemailman
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Green Bay @ Philadelphia (FOX, 4:15 p.m.) — Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

MJZiggy
09-09-2010, 08:48 PM

See? He's following us. Can't he do the Cowboys game or something?

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Are you going to game too?

Fritz
09-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike Neal injury is totally my fault. I was just thinking, today, that the Pack was getting through practice this week with no injuries. I was pretty pumped.

This is my fault. Now if Harrell has to play a lot of snaps and gets hurt as a result, that will be my fault, too.

My god, I've wrecked the entire season already. Somebody shoot me.

retailguy
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Mike Neal injury is totally my fault. I was just thinking, today, that the Pack was getting through practice this week with no injuries. I was pretty pumped.

This is my fault. Now if Harrell has to play a lot of snaps and gets hurt as a result, that will be my fault, too.

do us all a favor, just go walking in downtown detroit tonight. :wink:

MJZiggy
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM

Are you going to game too?

I wish, but I have my son that day and I'm not taking him there.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM

I just think he's not any good. I like the guys doing tonight's game a lot.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Oh, great. I'll turn the sound off....

Patler
09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

With Neal inactive for the game, Harrell plays more than intended, and goes down. The Packers are forced to play extended time with 2 linemen. The run defense suffers.

retailguy
09-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Me too. Collinsworth is the best, I think. But Aikman is better than most if you ask me.

Joemailman
09-09-2010, 10:48 PM

With Neal inactive for the game, Harrell plays more than intended, and goes down. The Packers are forced to play extended time with 2 linemen. The run defense suffers.

You trying to out-Wist Wist? :lol:

Patler
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Someone suggested we are too single minded, with no differing views about the upcoming season. So.........

CaptainKickass
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM

Someone suggested we are too single minded, with no differing views about the upcoming season. So.........

I'm gonna watch every game this season wearing some old 3d glasses I got off of a Rice Krispies box back in 1982. Does that technically qualify as a differing view of upcoming the season?

:)

MichiganPackerFan
09-10-2010, 09:02 AM

I'm on it

MichiganPackerFan
09-10-2010, 09:04 AM
As far as game-day thread technique goes, I tried it a couple times last season and I found that I missed to much of the game by trying to keep up on comments. What are some methods used to incorporate both and add brats to create the ultimate game day experience?

Fritz
09-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I run back to the computer on commercials. A laptop would solve this issue, I think.

Airin' Rodgers
09-10-2010, 01:10 PM
After a win, I read the whole thing after. Usually provides a good read. After a loss, I steer clear because my emotions are running high

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102639109.html

Mike Neal did not participate and is questionable
Brandon Underwood did nor participate and is out.
Desmond Bishop is questionable.

mraynrand
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM

so true.

Tony Oday
09-10-2010, 02:15 PM

so true.

lol or just plain bad

falco
09-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the updates Joe.

Patler
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM

That hurts.

bobblehead
09-10-2010, 03:19 PM

The one thing I like about aikman is that he comments on the officiating. He isn't afraid to say "I didn't see any holding there" or "Man, how did the officials miss that?"

Last night one of the viking tackles totally grabbed and pulled the facemask of one of the Saints DE's and guess what....no flag. How does a ref miss a guys head being ripped off?

I've always said the refs hold a grudge against MM for his griping in his first season. We get a lot of "phantom holds" late in games that kill momentum and such. Back in the Holmgren day, after the '95 game with dallas, we got nearly every call in the book.

Tarlam!
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I remember that play quite vividly! Sitting here in Germany at nigh 4 AM, I thought it was just me!

I still don't like Aikman. Maybe it's his voice. I dunno, I just can't stand him.

swede
09-10-2010, 04:06 PM

That hurts.

That's what he said.

RashanGary
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, Harrell is healthy for one week. Maybe we can get one weeks use out of him.

Fritz
09-10-2010, 09:37 PM
JH, don't you see how it works? The Pack will be forced to overuse Harrell, he'll get hurt, and that will be the death blow to the season.

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100910/PKR01/100910119/McCarthy-casts-expectations-aside-focuses-on-Super-Bowl

Pretty decent interview with McCarthy, particularly some comments about the Arizona playoff loss:

Q: Let’s not beat around the bush, so many so-called experts are picking you guys to get to the Super Bowl that there’s no way your players and coaches aren’t aware of the expectations. How do you think they will handle that?

McCarthy: “Frankly, I might be naïve, but I feel we’re past that. Those conversations are really, in my view, for the beginning of training camp. We have a goal to win the Super Bowl. We appreciate that people think we’re worthy or capable of winning the Super Bowl. That’s a positive, when people say nice things about you. But by no means do we sit here, I don’t want to offend you, but we don’t sit here and hang your articles on the wall and say, ‘Look what they’re saying about us.’ I felt like during the first week of camp, we talked about it. There was a lot of buzz, and maybe it’s trying to be re-created again in Week 1 of the season, but I really think we’re past that as a football team.”

Q: Is this your best shot to win it all since you’ve been here?

McCarthy: “Well, you’ve got to say your best shot was in ’07, when you’re standing right there on the doorstep (in the NFC championship game). I feel very good about where we are today as a team. But you’ve done this for a lot of years, it’s a long season. There’s a lot of things that happen. But our starting point, I feel we’re very strong. But we’ve got to handle the challenges and demands that an NFL season puts on every team.”

Q: Last year, after you lost at Tampa to fall to 4-4, team President Mark Murphy spoke publicly about how disappointed he was and that he wanted to see changes. How exactly did you turn the season around and go 7-1 in the second half?

McCarthy: “Stuck to my guns. Didn’t change as far as the approach. I think everybody, to a man, the urgency was heightened. Unfortunately, it took an embarrassing loss as it was in Tampa Bay. And I learned a lesson or two. It’s something that you hope to apply in the future. I’m not making any excuses, and people thought I did. I felt it was important for us to bounce back after that Minnesota (loss). We got after them in practice, and they responded. And I can remember standing there just before halftime thinking, ‘God dang, we’re dead today.’ It wasn’t a lack of effort or anything. They had a little bit of a perfect storm. They had a few plays, when one of your trusted, key veterans blows a punt assignment and you get a punt blocked, we did some things that were uncharacteristic of us. But I felt some responsibility for that because we did not play well in that game. I think being honest about it, and to a man there was a heightened sense of urgency, and we were able to get the next one at home against Dallas, which I felt was big playing at home that week. Our fans were behind us, which I can’t say enough about because I’ve been in other places where if that first quarter didn’t go right, they could have gone against you. The Dallas game was phenomenal. It was an outstanding opponent, a great environment. Lambeau was phenomenal that night, and that’s a big credit to the fans.”

Q: In Sports Illustrated’s NFL preview issue that recently came out, you were quoted as saying you had the players “too high” for the first Minnesota game. What did you do that got them too high?

McCarthy: “I was extremely confident going into that game and thought we were ready to take a step and probably didn’t handle a couple of the injuries that we had prior to that game appropriately. The left tackle position, Chad wasn’t available. Right tackle position wasn’t stable. Probably pushed the envelope too much from a play-calling standpoint. The safety position, the change we made in that game resulted in some big plays. I don’t know, anytime something goes wrong, it’s just in my nature, I look in the mirror first. I thought the night before the game and just the way we went up there, they were so dialed in for that game, and we were probably a little bit too rambunctious in the beginning of that game. We had seven penalties in the first half; they had zero. I thought that was a huge factor. Then coming back home to Lambeau, we almost repeated exactly the same type of game. We had six penalties in the first half; they had zero. I felt the first game we were probably a little bit too high.”

Q: Was that because you were playing against Brett Favre?

McCarthy: “Well it’s playing that team. I’m not going to deny that Brett didn’t add a whole other element to it. We had way too many big plays go against us. The penalties, I thought the big plays and the penalties were huge factors. Look at the first series of the game both times, we had a personal foul on our defense that resulted in seven points. One time we (would have gotten) off the field. The other time it’s maybe a field goal. When you play in close games, which all division games usually are, it can affect the outcome.”

Q: At any time last year, before, after or during those games against Minnesota, did you and Brett say anything to each other?

McCarthy: “I have not, no.”

Q: Do you think you and Brett will ever sit down and make peace, even if it’s after his or your career is over?

McCarthy: “Time will answer that question.”

Q: You’re still relatively young in this business …

McCarthy: “I feel young.”

Q: … but coaching at this level takes its toll on a person. Do you see yourself as a lifer or a guy who retires while he’s still young?

McCarthy: “And I have a young family. I plan to have the discipline to, God willing, walk away on my own terms at the right time, but I could do this for the rest of my life. I love coming to work every day. I love working here. I couldn’t imagine having an opportunity better than the Green Bay Packers. It’s hard to even talk about it. It’s just such a unique place. Everyone wants to talk about tradition and facilities, but it’s really about the people. It’s such a great place to work, and there’s so many good people. It’s the way it should be. We’re given the resources to win. It’s as clean as that. There’s no sidebars. There’s no around-the-corner agendas, and that’s so important. I’ve got a great family. I married a beautiful local gal, and it’d be great to be here for a long time.”

Q: You said you feel young and you look like you’re in better shape than you’ve been in, but at a few of the training camp practices, you’d limp off the field after the workout. How’s your health?

McCarthy: “Yeah, a little better shape this year, but yeah that’s an old football injury, and I’ve let it go. I need knee surgery, and I’ve just been putting it off.”

Q: John Schneider was a close friend and confidant of yours before he left in January to become GM of the Seattle Seahawks. Who are you closest to in the organization now and who has filled that role?

McCarthy: “John still is. Ted Thompson is so stable and just so consistent, and that’s someone I’m blessed to be able to have the working relationship with and the ability to lean on. He’s a great listener and very important to my personal success here. Russ Ball has always been there. Really, Russ, John and I, going back to our Kansas City days, were always good friends. I trust Russ Ball with my children, and that’s a huge statement that you can say about somebody. I’ve got an excellent coaching staff, a lot of guys I enjoy being around and hopefully people that after football, we’ll all be friends. So I feel like I have an outstanding network of people. Mark Murphy is a great listener and a guy you can bounce things off. Jason Wied is someone that I’ve gotten to be close with. Even Doug Collins, our security director, is another confidant. Matt Klein and Lisa (Waeghe), I can’t say enough about them. They run the office and do a great job of keeping me coaching, and not getting bogged down from an administrative standpoint, and that’s something that I think happens to a lot people in this position, and I feel like it gets to me sometimes, but they’re great at taking the ball and running with it.”

Q: I would think you’d agree that your pass defense probably prevented you from going further in the playoffs last season. Why will you be better in that area this year?

McCarthy: “Well that one particular game, you hate to put your whole season on one game, but we didn’t perform very well in that football game, and those are always tough lessons that you can learn from, but also we didn’t take care of the football that day, either. That’s the part that I think you’ve really got to stay on top of as a team. I talk to our team all the time about playing to your identity — smart, tough, fundamentally sound. They hear about it every day. It’s on every overlay that goes up in front of them, and I felt like we built that and had it going during the second half of the year, and to go into that game and turn the ball over like we did after you just got done playing 16 games, and you’re plus-24. I just feel like we create our identity, because you don’t ever get to carry it forward from the year before, and play to that and an improvement in pass defense will definitely be one of our focuses. We went into the season saying we were going to stop the run because that was an issue the year before, and we were the best in the league at it. We’ve taken the same approach with the negative aspects of the 2009 season as we prepare for 2010, and we’re confident we will improve in those areas.”

Q: But you have an undrafted free agent, Sam Shields, as your likely third cornerback and unproven guys like Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee back there. What’s your level of concern there?

McCarthy: “Well, it’s no different than when you play the quarterback for the first time. You don’t know until they play. You have confidence in their ability. You have confidence in the way they’re trained. You have confidence in the way they work, and more importantly you have confidence in them as the type of people they are. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t put them out there.”

Q: You changed special teams coaches two years ago, changed punters this year and changed the way you practice special teams in training camp. Does that mean it’s reasonable to expect a dramatic improvement in that area?

McCarthy: “I expect it and demand it. More importantly, I think the players want it, too. The players are the first to know. Coaching is very important, no doubt about it, but they have to carry the ultimate message and the focus into the live action. They’re all well aware of what we’re trying to do. We’ve made a number of changes, not only in the way we practice but in the way we do punt protection, our approach is a little different in kickoff returns and Shawn Slocum’s done some good things on the kickoff coverage, so we feel like we have better weapons, more bullets in our gun, but at the end of the day we have to go out and perform. But I feel the improvements, the adjustments that Shawn and (special teams assistant coach) Chad (Morton) have made throughout the offseason and the training camp work was very good. I thought it was the best of our time here, but we have to go out and do it now.”

Q: Don’t you think it’s a risk to put Tramon Williams or Greg Jennings on punt returns given how important those guys are on defense and offense?

McCarthy: “Depends on how you want to look at it. You’re also putting the ball in the hands of an exciting player. If I have one issue on offense, it’s going to be opportunities. I could say now I’m putting the ball in Greg’s hands one more time, two more times a game, and also Tramon’s. I mean Tramon has been very good back there. People fail to realize he’s never really had a full season at that. He’s got a unique set of skills on punt return. We’ve always had that in our back pocket. It’s hard to say we’re going to pick the best 53 players. Whether you agree with it or not, we let these guys compete, and there were times when I thought it was going to be different from 50, 51, 52 and 53. But at the end of the day, when all the information came in, we felt like we built the best 53 football players, and sometimes you may cross lines because, yeah, you may like to have nine linebackers, but if you’re going to keep the best players and have the ability to improve depth over years to come, you have to believe in the coaching to make the difference for our different personnel groups. That’s been our approach, and it’s worked. Like I told the team in our meeting on Monday, our two biggest challenges are going to be not enough opportunities for everybody and handling success, and I’m not going to apologize for having too many good football players in this room. It’s taken us five years to get to this point, but we’re here, we feel good about it, but we need to make sure it’s always going to be about the team first.”

Q: Speaking of all those weapons you have on offense, when you first got here, you said you wanted to be a run-first team …

McCarthy: “Well, we had a coach that gave some powerful speeches …”

Q: But you’re a pass-first team, aren’t you?

McCarthy: “Not really. The thing is, football has changed a little bit. It’s still about blocking and tackling and handling the football. That will never change. When you do things at the line of scrimmage and play against aggressive defensive schemes, it’s common sense that the path of least resistance is usually the best path on any particular play. So when I get statistics that the pass and the run are not as balanced as you’d want, my balance comes on what I called. So the result to me is secondary. Some of the things that we do, there’s run and pass options. We may not be running the ball, but we’re still coming off the line and getting after the D-line because at the end of the day it’s putting the ball in the individual’s hands with him having the opportunity to progress forward. That’s why I don’t get as caught up on the final numbers. I can tell you this, every meeting we have first, we start with the run. You may not like the way our house looks on the outside, but our foundation stays intact with the way we approach the game.”

Q: When you cut guys like Spencer Havner and Kregg Lumpkin, guys that have helped you win games before, do you ever worry the players who are still here might question why you’re getting rid of players that have helped you win over the years?

McCarthy: “I would hope they do. I think that’s the way they should think. That’s part of the conversations we have, too. Spencer Havner, just the way he was able to build up and get on the team, but Spencer didn’t perform to the level that he did last year. That’s the facts, and that’s why he’s not here. But I’m a huge Spencer Havner fan and frankly he made my job a lot easier going from 53 to 45 because he gave us an extra linebacker and a good special teams player and was very productive for us as a tight end. Those were all hard decisions. But you line people up and let them compete and if one guy outperforms the other, I think he earns the right for the job.”

Q: What does it say that five of those guys you waived were claimed by other teams and a sixth, punter Chris Bryan, signed with Tampa Bay?

McCarthy: “I think that’s a credit to our personnel staff and our coaching staff. We have young players that we brought in here that the media probably criticized us for picking at one point, I’m just kidding you, but they were developed, and they’re good football players. I think it says a lot about our program and our football team.”

Q: Is there any chance it says maybe you made mistakes and cut the wrong guys?

McCarthy: “I don’t think so. I think we have the best seat to make those decisions, and I’m confident we made the right decisions.”

Q: You’ve had a rotation of punters here. What are the chances Tim Masthay is a long-term answer?

McCarthy: “I hope so. There’s a lot of information that would point to that. He’s young, he’s an athlete and he’s going to improve. His skill set is vast in terms of the kickoffs, the holding. As far as his straight-line mechanics, there’s a lot there to work with. I’m hoping him and Mason are here for a long time.”

Q: You promoted Mark Lovat to the head strength coach. What differences have you seen?

McCarthy: “Mark does such a great job of the functional training. Also, Mark’s an extremely educated individual as far as the science behind the strength and conditioning and the bridge you have to have with the training room. To me, that’s really one department. We’re not structured like that, but frankly if I was in charge of that facility, I’d make that all one area because I think there could be a tendency in our industry that there’s walls between those two departments, and they function better when they’re one. We have a very good relationship there between both the medical staff and the strength and conditioning staff. I think Mark Lovat and (assistant trainer) Bryan Engel, in particular, as far as their rehab and prehap ability with our players is significant.”

Q: Going back to that playoff loss at Arizona, the refs told cornerback Charles Woodson before the game not to hold because they’re going to call him for it. Do you think that impacted the way he played?

McCarthy: “That shouldn’t go on, and they know that. You talk about communication, and now you talk about predetermining something before the game. Now if you want to give a guy a warning, but if the communication went down the way it did, we’re not looking for that because they’re supposed to call what they see. There’s nothing good that comes out of complaining about officiating. I think it’s an excuse. Do I like some of the things that go on? No, but it serves me no purpose. To me, it’s all about the end result. How am I going to prepare my team or handle situations that’s going to give us the chance to move forward and win games.”

Q: You aren’t a guy who complains a lot about officiating, yet in that game Woodson got thrown around a lot and maybe there should have been offensive pass interference called …

McCarthy: “Twice.”

Q: … and maybe there should have been illegal hands to the face on that last play. My question is, did you guys get screwed in that game?

McCarthy: “I would have liked if they would have called it. I would like to think that when I’m done with this business, I can look back and say it all kind of worked itself out. Sometimes you’re on the short side of that. Sometimes you get the calls. You have to live with it.”

Q: Lastly, driving into the stadium today, you could see one of those fences along Lombardi Avenue was recently painted with the slogan ‘In McCarthy We Trust.” What does that mean to you?

McCarthy: “You can see it from here (inside his office). Ted was giving me a hard time about it. Personally, I think things like that should be about the players. I’m so blessed to hold one of the most prominent positions in coaching, and I’m very grateful for that. But I think recognition, I think it’s a players’ game. But I’m flattered that they would think that of me that they would paint that on their fence. There’s a lot of neat traditions around here. I’m flattered, embarrassed.”

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
That interview was lengthy but a really good read. I really like M2 and that just reinforced it.

vince
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
That interview was lengthy but a really good read. I really like M2 and that just reinforced it.+1 Great read.

gbpackfan
09-11-2010, 09:54 AM
There is rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Opening in Philly, with rain, and a defense that couldnt stop anyone in the preseason has me very worried for tomorrow. I want the pack to win bad, but Im predicting an upset. Packers 17, Philly 31. The Packers turn the ball over 3 times. God I hope Im wrong.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
That interview was lengthy but a really good read. I really like M2 and that just reinforced it.

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

Little Whiskey
09-11-2010, 10:40 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

noob! time to check his packer resume for errors!!! :lol:

Patler
09-11-2010, 11:06 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

In whose lexicon? I can understand calling him

"Mike3"
"M squared' (MM)
"M2" (MM)
"MM"
"MJM"

I have never seen much reason to call him "M3" just because of the three "Mikes".

Brandon494
09-11-2010, 11:34 AM
There is rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Opening in Philly, with rain, and a defense that couldnt stop anyone in the preseason has me very worried for tomorrow. I want the pack to win bad, but Im predicting an upset. Packers 17, Philly 31. The Packers turn the ball over 3 times. God I hope Im wrong.

You willing to put money on that?

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

Thanks i never got the M3. :oops: However, I've seen it used and blindly accepted. This mornings f-up was a directly product of a combination of excess vodka, a little tequila, minimal sleep and getting to work early on a saturday morning.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 04:12 PM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

Thanks i never got the M3. :oops: However, I've seen it used and blindly accepted. This mornings f-up was a directly product of a combination of excess vodka, a little tequila, minimal sleep and getting to work early on a saturday morning.

And why the hell wasn't I invited?

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Any particular reason why you think rain will be more of a problem for the Packers? Eagles throw the ball as much as the Packers do, if you're thinking the rain will hamper the passing game.

vince
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Eagles d-line is also fast but very small. A wet surface might be very bad for them.

falco
09-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I couldn't even tell you who the Eagles starting running back off the top of my head... :oops:

Brandon494
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
McCoy....am I the only one on who follows other NFL teams besides the Packers? :lol:

falco
09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
McCoy....am I the only one on who follows other NFL teams besides the Packers? :lol:

:worship:

:lol:

bobblehead
09-11-2010, 07:08 PM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

I always assumed his middle name was malcom.

bobblehead
09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Eagles d-line is also fast but very small. A wet surface might be very bad for them.

Nah, this is in their favor...it only hurts them if MM actually CALLS a running play.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm worried. I think this might end up being our toughest game, if Kevin Kolb is as good as I think he'll be.

McCoy is an all around RB. Not in Westbrook's class, but okay. Their WR corps is very good. Plus, they have a good TE in Celek. They have a veteran OL that is solid and healthy. They have Trent Cole and rookie Brandon Graham at DE. That could be quite the combination. Bunkley and Patterson at DT are solid. Bradley could be a future star at LB. They now have Ernie Sims. They have Asante Samuel at corner with a solid veteran and a rookie at one safety. Hopefully, we can exploit their corners. It will be tough. Really, outside of QB their team is every bit as good as our team, and they are playing at home. Plus, you can't count out the coaching of Andy Reid.

RashanGary
09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Stinks to be missing Neal already. Harrell will have to perform.

It's going to be a tough game though. The Vike/Saint game made me realize how hard W's are to scratch out.

A SB is a huge accomplishment. I think I'm done thinking ahead. I'm just hopeful to see a W this week.

RashanGary
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
OMG. . . I'm juiced. We have deadlines at work, so I'm really busy but I just realized it's opening day eve!!

gbpackfan
09-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Any particular reason why you think rain will be more of a problem for the Packers? Eagles throw the ball as much as the Packers do, if you're thinking the rain will hamper the passing game.

Because the Packers had a hard time holding onto the ball in during the dry preason. Add rain to the mix and I smell FUMBLES!

Dont mind me, Im just being overly concerned. I think Im gunna puke. :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2010, 01:19 AM
It's opening day. Go Pack Go!

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 01:34 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

"Mike3"
"M squared' (MM)
"M2" (MM)
"MM"
"MJM"

I have never seen much reason to call him "M3" just because of the three "Mikes".

The posters at JSO (Before the great migration) had a thread discussing his appointment. They also debated what to nickname the guy. M3 was the consensus choice and RG gave the reasoning behind it. He's been M3 in my lexicon ever since.

channtheman
09-12-2010, 03:18 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

"Mike3"
"M squared' (MM)
"M2" (MM)
"MM"
"MJM"

I think most call him MM same as how most refer to Ted Thompson as TT.

bobblehead
09-12-2010, 04:52 AM
I feel like the little kid on christmas morning. I woke up early, and I can't wait til 1:15 when mom lets me open my first present....God I hope it isn't clothes.

vince
09-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Gotta love Clay Matthews - and wonder about the education he got at USC...

Packers 2010: Defense promises Year 2 surprises
By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

PHILADELPHIA – Clay Matthews’ math was a little off, but his point was clear.

“Statistically, within the first two (regular-season) games, 60 percent of plays are unscouted,” the Green Bay Packers second-year outside linebacker said. “Did you know that? One out of every three plays.”

Uh, Clay … one out of every three plays would be 33 percent. Just what math classes were you taking – or skipping – at USC?

Not that such numbers apply to the 2010 Packers defense as it prepares for Sunday’s regular-season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. Chances are, what the Eagles see from defensive coordinator Dom Capers with be more like the 60 percent number Matthews threw out initially.

Afforded the luxury of keeping most of his defense under wraps in preseason because the Packers are now in Year 2 in his 3-4 scheme, Capers went ultra-vanilla during the exhibition season, using essentially the same ready list for the team’s four preseason games against Cleveland, Seattle, Indianapolis and Kansas City as he did for the annual Family Night Scrimmage the first weekend of training camp.

“We took a little different approach this year, this being the second year, than we did last year,” said Capers, whose ready lists contain all the defensive calls he feels comfortable using in a game – lists that were significantly longer during the preseason last year. “Last year, we felt we had to try to get a number of things in, take a look at them, see how they looked (in game situations). (This year), we worked basically from the same ready list throughout the preseason, and that was by design.

“We installed our whole package (in practice). Now, from week-to-week, there’s always one or two new things that maybe you put in that you haven’t worked in training camp. But we felt good about our installation, and we felt good coming out of the preseason in terms of the volume that we’d asked them to perform in the games.”

Fans who recall last year’s preseason defensive game plan probably remember the Packers’ 44-37 victory over the defending NFC-champion Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium in the third exhibition game most vividly.

That night, Capers unleashed a significant portion of his playbook on the Cardinals, with impressive results: Five Arizona turnovers (two interceptions, three fumbles), with cornerback Charles Woodson foreshadowing his NFL Defensive Player of the Year form by forcing three fumbles, two of which the Packers recovered. While the No. 1 defense allowed its only touchdown of the preseason that night, it was dominating on every other possession.

Contrast that with this year, when Capers seldom called a blitz – even his basic ones – in games. He watched as the No. 1 defense – or what amounted to the No. 1 defense, given the number of players like Matthews (hamstring) who missed time with nagging injuries – allowed seven touchdowns and a field goal while forcing only five punts and one turnover in 14 preseason possessions.

“I think it was good for us,” said Woodson, who didn’t travel to the team’s two road games while Matthews’ hamstring kept him out of all four games, right outside linebacker Brad Jones’ shoulder kept him out of the last three games and defensive end Cullen Jenkins’ calf kept him out of the final two games. “I think last year, we came out and we threw a lot at the preseason just to get guys a feel for the way Dom was going to be calling games.

“This being Year 2 in the system, we’ve (already) seen a lot of what he’s called, so you don’t necessarily have to do it in preseason. You can scale back a little bit, do some base defensive coverages and then once the season starts, really put the pedal to the metal.”

What’s even more valuable, according to Capers, his position coaches and the players, is the experience the defense gained last season, when the Packers ranked No. 2 in the NFL in total defense, including No. 1 against the run and No. 5 against the pass, while leading the league in takeaways (40).

“There’s just a better understanding that comes with it after a year,” said safeties coach Darren Perry, who started as a rookie for Capers in 1992 in Pittsburgh and was there to see the defense improve in Year 2. “That first year, you’re looking at a whole different defensive system that hasn’t been exposed to a lot of guys. So you’ve got to be careful of how much you do, because you don’t want to slow those guys down (mentally).

“In Pittsburgh, we never did as much as we’re doing now. So the learning part is a lot tougher. Then, we evolved to the whole system of zone blitzes. We’d add one every week once the season started. Here, we start out right from the get-go.”

While Capers won’t talk about just how mad-scientist he can get with different blitzes and schemes this season, he will allow that the experience of last season gives him the opportunity to use considerably more of the 150 or so defenses he has in his playbook. During last season, he unveiled “Big Okie” (a base package with linebacker Brandon Chillar playing safety) and “Psycho” (a nickel package with five linebackers and only one down lineman, Jenkins), and there figure to be even more oddities this year.

“The biggest thing is the guys have a better understanding,” Capers said. “The more you’re around it, the more you see how things fit together. They get a feel for the progression of things.

The other benefit of being in Year 2 of the scheme, according to head coach Mike McCarthy, is that it allows Capers and the defensive coaches to play to their players’ strengths more because they know the players’ better.

“You go through an offseason (and) you have an opportunity to tailor your schemes towards the players that you know you’re going to have here,” McCarthy said. “We feel we’re very familiar with our players, their skill sets. We like the packages that we’ve put together (even though we) didn’t really use any of them in training camp. We’re going to get them ready to go, and it will start in Philadelphia.”

Added Capers: “Because we’ve been through a year with guys, we’ve seen how they’ve responded in situations, we’ve seen how they respond when you give them more to work on mentally. We’re always going to do what we feel we can execute efficiently. If we’re going to make mental errors or technique errors, it’ll get cut way back what we do. I just think you have to play the percentages. You aren’t going to beat many people if you beat yourself.”

Not that there aren’t concerns on defense, beyond the limited work the starters got together in preseason. While Capers’ defenses in New Orleans, where he worked as secondary coach under coach Jim Mora, Pittsburgh (defensive coordinator) and Carolina (head coach) all improved in Year 2, his defenses in Jacksonville, Houston and Miami actually were worse in Year 2 statistically.

On teams where he was the defensive coordinator or head coach, the Steelers’ defensive ranking went from 13th in 1992 to third in 1993; the Panthers went from 23rd in 1995 to 10th in ‘96; the Jaguars went from fourth in 1999 to 12th in 2000; the Texans went from 16th in 2002 to 31st in '03); and the Dolphins went from fourth in 2006 to 23rd in '07.

The most obvious area where the Packers must improve is against elite quarterbacks, as they were carved up by Minnesota’s Brett Favre (twice), Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger and Arizona’s Kurt Warner. Not surprisingly, those games accounted for four of the Packers’ six losses on the year.

Favre completed 24 of 31 passes for 271 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions and no sacks in the first meeting at the Metrodome and followed it up by completing 17 of 28 for 244 yards and four touchdowns – again with no sacks or interceptions – at Lambeau Field; Roethlisberger set a Steelers record with 503 passing yards while throwing three TD passes (although the Packers did record five sacks in that game); and Warner was brilliant in the Cardinals’ 51-45 overtime NFC Wild Card victory in January, completing 29 of 33 throws for 379 yards with five TDs, one sack and no interceptions.

“When teams are looking at, ‘How do you beat the Green Bay Packers?’ – they’re going to look at those games,” Perry said. “People will look at who exploited our defense, and they’re going to look at Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Arizona, the teams that gave us problems and put up yardage against us. We have to make sure we have an answer for that. We have to have an answer.”

If they have the answers, they’ve kept it under wraps so far. And although the Eagles’ Kevin Kolb – making his first start since taking over for departed six-time Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb at quarterback – may not qualify as an elite passer yet, Sunday will be the unveiling of those potential answers.

“We’ll see some new things, some guys in some new positions, some different pressures to throw the quarterback off a little bit,” Matthews said. “There’s so many variations of the defenses that we have. We’ll have to wait to see. I couldn’t tell you how much more we’re putting in. But we’ll be ready.”

Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on “Green & Gold Today,” and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonjwilde.

vince
09-12-2010, 05:57 AM
This promises to be a really fun game.

1. Will Burnett and Shields hold up against the assault that will undoubtedly be launched on them?
2. Will the Packers be able to confuse and pressure Kolb early and often to protect their young DB's.
3. Can Finley open up the offense?
4. Can the Packers run on the Eagles undersized front 7?
5. Will Rodgers have time in the pocket vs. the Philly attacking D?
6. Will Rodgers make good decisions reading the Eagles' D?
6. Will the coverage teams be able to contain Jackson?

GO PACK GO

Patler
09-12-2010, 06:54 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

"Mike3"
"M squared' (MM)
"M2" (MM)
"MM"
"MJM"

I think most call him MM same as how most refer to Ted Thompson as TT.

Yup, that's what I have done, too. Never could understand "M3"

mraynrand
09-12-2010, 07:10 AM
2. Will the Packers be able to confuse and pressure Kolb early and often to protect their young DB's.

Barring injuries, it seems that this will determine the ultimate fate of the Packers this year. If they are reasonably good at it, they could go all the way. If they suck at it, well, just refer back to last season.

Scott Campbell
09-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm worried. I think this might end up being our toughest game, if Kevin Kolb is as good as I think he'll be.

McCoy is an all around RB. Not in Westbrook's class, but okay. Their WR corps is very good. Plus, they have a good TE in Celek. They have a veteran OL that is solid and healthy. They have Trent Cole and rookie Brandon Graham at DE. That could be quite the combination. Bunkley and Patterson at DT are solid. Bradley could be a future star at LB. They now have Ernie Sims. They have Asante Samuel at corner with a solid veteran and a rookie at one safety. Hopefully, we can exploit their corners. It will be tough. Really, outside of QB their team is every bit as good as our team, and they are playing at home. Plus, you can't count out the coaching of Andy Reid.

Philly is loaded on both sides of the ball. They were a playoff team last year. I'll never understand how they're a 3 point dog at home.

The Leaper
09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Philly is loaded on both sides of the ball. They were a playoff team last year. I'll never understand how they're a 3 point dog at home.

Kolb is still an unknown factor despite success in limited action...things are different when you are "the man". Our #1 priority in this game should be pressuring the kid.

This game scares me simply because of Andy Reid...the guy is a hell of a coach. He's better than McCarthy, so any advantage we have in terms of players is somewhat marginalized by the advantage Philly has with Reid.

And point spreads are all about getting the betting to be equal on both sides...and have nothing to do with the actual probability on which team has the best chance for success. The media coverage of the Packers is driving lofty expectations.

MichiganPackerFan
09-12-2010, 08:23 AM

He's M3.

Mike Holmgren #1
Mike Sherman #2
Mike McCarthy #3

And why the hell wasn't I invited?

Apparently, because I had a full onslaught of Self-Centered Prick Syndrome

RashanGary
09-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I have a feeling it's going to be an absolute battle. It seems defenses come out a little sharper than offenses. Offenses depend on precision. Bringing pressure is no different in week 1 than week 9 (other than injuries of course, but there are injuries to the offense too). The big difference is that offenses don't quite execute as well in the beginning.

That plays to our disadvantage. Then there is ST's. Are they fixed? We'll see how it all goes.

This game won't determine our season, but it would be huge to get a W here and get that quick 1 game advantage over our biggest competitor. On defense, they're going to give up some plays. Hopefully we make a few too. On offense, the pressure is on. We have to score a lot. ST's. That's scary.

This is a tough, evenly matched game. Hopefully our guys show the toughness to get through.

arcilite
09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Rain today.

How much will that affect us? Might hamper our passing game a little bit.

Joemailman
09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Rain today.

How much will that affect us? Might hamper our passing game a little bit.

Might hamper theirs. Eagles throw as much as the Packers do. Actually, I don't think it will hamper either team much. Wind would be a bigger factor, but I don't think it is supposed to very windy.

Actually, the chance of precip this afternoon in Philly is 30%. Looks like the worst stuff has already moved through.

Tony Oday
09-12-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/hourbyhour/USPA1276

Weather doesnt look too bad

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Lets please start with a win! Go pack go!

I hope the offense comes ready to play.

Scott Campbell
09-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Kolb is still an unknown factor despite success in limited action...things are different when you are "the man".

Kolb is unknown only to us. I'm sure Reid knows exactly what he has, and why McNabb was expendable. It reminds me a little of how Rodgers finally got his opportunity. Kolb is the only QB in the history of the NFL to throw for over 300 yards in each of his first 2 starts. I'm already a fan.

arcilite
09-12-2010, 10:22 AM
There will be a make-a-wish special on ESPN sunday countdown with Aaron Rodgers today.

I read somewhere it will show at 1230 EDT

imscott72
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
GAMEDAY!! Day one of the journey to the Superbowl baby! GO PACK GO

MichiganPackerFan
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I am so excited I'm tingling!!! Not much more exciting than opening day with a loaded team!!

Patler
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm thinking law enforcement better be out watching the bridges and tall buildings if the opening game doesn't go the way Packer fans are expecting! :lol:

RashanGary
09-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm at work. Going home now, gonna make sloppy joes, have my brothers over.

A great day to be alive. Opening day!!

TennesseePackerBacker
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
It's here! It's finally here! For seven months I've felt like a kid on Christmas Eve. Sure, we got to peek at a present or two, but Christmas morning is finally here!

GO PACK GO! Time to run to the store for some black and tans and a pizza.

mission
09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Wife and kids out of town, I've already ran to the store and I'm stocked up. Got a Packers fan friend coming over.

Only you guys know how excited I am!! It's almost as good of a feeling as when my son was born! LOL

It would take an absolutely embarrassing loss for me to have a 'sky is falling' attitude. This could really go either way, although, on paper, I'd like to think we'll do our job.

GO PACK GO!!!

retailguy
09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

This! :clap:

get louder at lambeau
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Sounds like you drank the green Kool-Aid this year, huh retail?

mission
09-12-2010, 01:01 PM

looks like i owe you a dub spot, louda... :(

vince
09-12-2010, 01:09 PM
"Perfect conditions for today's game." says Wayne Larrivee on the pre-game show.

get louder at lambeau
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM

looks like i owe you a dub spot, louda... :(

:bump: I'll PM ya the PayPal address. Hopefully Bush makes me proud (for once).

retailguy
09-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Actually it was gold. A little foamy too. But the more I drank the better I felt. It is magic koolaid - do think.

Joemailman
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Inactives:

Packers: CB Brandon Underwood, FB Quinn Johnson, G Nick McDonald, T/G T.J. Lang, G/T Marshall Newhouse, TE Andrew Quarless, DE Mike Neal, DE C.J. Wilson.

Patler
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Inactives:

Packers: CB Brandon Underwood, FB Quinn Johnson, G Nick McDonald, T/G T.J. Lang, G/T Marshall Newhouse, TE Andrew Quarless, DE Mike Neal, DE C.J. Wilson.

Only 4 D-line active, one being Harrell?

Joemailman
09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Inactives:

Surprising, especially considering TT cut Havner.

channtheman
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
WOOOOO, football is finally here!!!

Packers4Ever
09-12-2010, 02:43 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And they make a CLANGING noise all over the Forum too !! :shock:

woodbuck27
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
OK I'm psyched ! :D

Let's go Aaron Rodgers and 'the Pack'.

Will those Lions hold on? How bout the Texans all over Indy. I called that one right. The rest of my picks in the Pick' Em today are 'at least close' to this point. It's going to be an exciting season Packer fans.

GO! PACK GO!!

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Come on Fox... switch it over anytime you want...

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Inactives:

Surprising, especially considering TT cut Havner.

huh?

Brando19
09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone have a link to the game? Stupid Pitt/Atl game is going to overtime and i'm going to miss some of the Packers game.

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:11 PM
GO PACK GO!!! Lets get it baby!!!

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Let's go PACK!

http://www.countrymusictattletale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/faith_hill_02-x600.jpg

red
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
god damnit why do we always get aikmen?

biggest jack-off announcer in the NFL

imscott72
09-12-2010, 03:16 PM
HERE WE GO!!!

gbgary
09-12-2010, 03:16 PM
GO PACK!

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Anyone have a link to the game? Stupid Pitt/Atl game is going to overtime and i'm going to miss ome of the Packers game.

At least that's a good one.

They're finishing up the Car/NYG game here :(

MJZiggy
WoooHOOOOOO!!! Go Pack! It's on!

Fosco33
1st 2 incomplete - finley and jennings. 3rd/10

retailguy
Rodgers looks scattered

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Rodgers looks scattered

1st series jitters

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Rodgers looks scattered

1st series jitters

yeah. hope so.

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Field looks slippery too

SkinBasket
Someone's a little excited...

channtheman
shitty.

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
41 yard punt... Not a great start.

Vick in the wildcat on 1st play.

Ugly ass Eagle uni's.

gbgary
Come on D

imscott72
Dang Woody just got ran over..

Fosco33
Haha - how do have illegal formation on your first offensive play of the season. LMAO

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Come on - that was easy holding call on CW blitz. Spun him around.

red
CM 52

Fosco33
Whoooo! Nice attack by Matthews.

Brandon494
lets get it CLAY MAKER!!!!!

retailguy
eagles dont look any better

MJZiggy
09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
matthews!!!!

imscott72
THE CLAYMAKER!1

gbgary
MR MATTHEWS

denverYooper
Nice job on the delay.

Love me some Clay.

red
he showed some massive speed on that blitz, that's what hawk was always missing on his blitz's

come on a-rod

gbgary
09-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Settle down o. Nice long drive for a td.

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Ryan Grant looks huge

gbgary
09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
We run best when we run north and south.

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
nice!

red
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
lol, that's how you avoid the sack

wpony
that Blitz was what we were missing all preseason

red
and that's how you don't avoid the sack

Brandon494
Wow face mask and of course they dont see it...fucking BS

MJZiggy
Dammit.

wpony
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
wow I posted that last post about 3 minutes ago

red
what the fuck, it's like we're watching the arizona game all over again

denverYooper
Damn.

wpony
09-12-2010, 03:30 PM
SH*T

gbgary
Ouch

Brandon494
So much bs we should have a 1st down instead Rodgers has to try and force it to Finley for a 1st down.......I hate the fucking refs

imscott72
Wow Arod should of never made that throw..

retailguy
wow

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Get it back D!

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
what the fuck, it's like we're watching the arizona game all over again

I know right, if thats Peyton Manning or Tom Brady they are calling that all day.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The replay made it look that much worse.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Hooo boy.

Cullen Jenkins getting his hand x-rayed.

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Hooo boy.

not good

Brandon494
Hooo boy.

wow what, when did that happen?

red
Hooo boy.

throw a club on him and get him back out there

so right now that means we have no subs on the d-line? that's just fucking stupid

mission
damn raji is a monster

denverYooper
Man! Gotta pick that!

D is getting some ok pressure so far.

swede
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
If they lose five yards it will be 4th and 26.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Not too shabby on the D... only giving up 3 off the INT.

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:40 PM
The replay made it look that much worse.

The ref saw only the shoulder/armpit grab - so when Rodgers complained he said - no way. I think a guy knows when someones fingers are in his facemask.

Either way - stupid forced pass. Don't like the non-committment to Grant.

3rd series - give it to Grant and try some slants.

red
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
jordy=slowest most non exciting return man of all time

gbgary
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Time for the o to get going! DAMMIT!

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Calling it - Grant and Slant.

red

run the damn rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

m3 always seems to do this. abandon the run all together and go far the long passes every time

denverYooper

+1

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:43 PM

m3 always seems to do this. abandon the run all together and go far the long passes every time

maybe we shouldn't run :shock:

Brandon494
So with Jenkins out we only have 3 D-linemen?

TennesseePackerBacker
"Cullen Jenkins going back to get hand x-rays." :(

red
09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Baluga might be our starting left tackle sooner then we thought if clifton can't play any better then he has so far in this game

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
eagles are sloppy, pack looks lost. this is very weird so far.

red
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM

yup, bad timing by me. i hit post while grant was getting stuffed

retailguy

Hope they're fresh. gotta long day ahead of them

Brandon494
Here we go.... too fast for LBs to cover...too big for CBs to cover....thats FINLEY!!!

mmmdk
Cliffy getting killed - this is one ugly start to this game.

Pennsylvania = cursed land for Packers.

I hate that!

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM

yup, bad timing by me. i hit post while grant was getting stuffed

weird game so far

red

yup, and one is harrell

plus or minus 10 snaps before we have to play a 2-5 defense

gbgary

m3 always seems to do this. abandon the run all together and go far the long passes every timeWell...this is a passing league now. I don't have a problem with passing a lot if it's there for the taking.

Brandon494
I don't like how these guys keep going after Finley's knees.

retailguy
Here we go.... too fast for LBs to cover...too big for CBs to cover....thats FINLEY!!!

Thank God that madden retired.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Dard's on it:

Jenkins just emerged from the locker room with a club cast on his left hand.

curtis loew
09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
about time 55 gets called. He has been bumping Finley down the field every play, including the int.

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Dard's on it:

Jenkins just emerged from the locker room with a club cast on his left hand.

damnit, why does he always have to get injuried?

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM

yup, and one is harrell

They do that quite a bit anyway.

red
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM

you see, we say that because finley is much faster then the line backers that try to cover him. and he's to strong and tall for your cornerbacks to cover him. you see you'd like to cover a TE with a linebacker because of the size, but he's faster the a lot of linebackers. so you have to try a corner back on him because it's close to the same speed wise, but he's just to big for them

so you see..........

mmmdk
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't like how these guys keep going after Finley's knees.

I hear ya - it ain't hard to see the dirty plays/players. :x

red
o-line looks just as shitty as they did to start last season

Brandon494
2 sacks so far after 1 qtr.....smh

retailguy

you see, we say that because finley is much faster then the line backers that try to cover him. and he's to strong and tall for your cornerbacks to cover him. you see you'd like to cover a TE with a linebacker because of the size, but he's faster the a lot of linebackers. so you have to try a corner back on him because it's close to the same speed wise, but he's just to big for them

so you see..........

lol

steve823
Our Tackles are starting to show their age

retailguy
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM

I have it on good authority they are all world. you are seeing things.

Brandon494
09-12-2010, 03:53 PM

so you see..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0nuEuuKIk

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Yep, lots of Eagles in the backfield.

Rodgers is getting the ball out faster than last year when we had the same problem, thank goodness, but life doesn't looks comfy back there.

Freak Out
09-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Mix in a run please.

red
MY FUCKING GOD

you have got to get rid of james campen

no excuses this year for that kind of crap

woodbuck27
That Eagles 'D' is some BUTCH!

imscott72
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Damn the pass pro is pretty shake here early..

mmmdk
I don't think it's same old, same old with the Packer OL - this is more about fire in your game and getting into it [the trenches]. Philly seems ready, Packers better get their heads into this or it's Philly that'll kick Pack butt.

Brandon494
Damn this game is boring

woodbuck27
OK Mason what have you got man?

Fosco33
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
So they finally switch over to local Fox and NFL ticket is frozen. So all I see is a frozen image of Bill Clinton on local Fox.

Thank God for the Game Mix at least... wonder if I missed anything.

Jimx29
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
oddly enough, The Onion missed wide left on thier prediction:

Green Bay Packers

* Strength: After giving up 50 sacks in 2009, Green Bay's offensive line appears to have forgiven Aaron Rodgers for whatever he did

TennesseePackerBacker
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Our veteran offensive tackles are suddenly looking "old".

imscott72
Mason is $$$$

red
right hash jinx is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denverYooper
NICE!

Patler
09-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Three sacks and counting. I think I have seen the Packer O-line start seasons like this before, like everyone for the last 5 years!

No pass protection.
No running room.

mmmdk
OK Mason what have you got man?

Is it wide right or wide left with Crosby. I have zero faith in the guy.

I'm too gloomy - sorry! :oops:

Fosco33
there you go Mason.

How about some rollouts, some max protect, some playaction, something...
the oline is getting owned. Looks like 1st half of last season.

Are they that nervous? Is the field affecting them? Are the Eagles secondary that solid?

red
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Three sacks and counting. I think I have seen the Packer O-line start seasons like this before, like everyone for the last 5 years!

No pass protection.
No running room.

not only three sack but numerous hurries to go with those

and i haven't seen rodgers holding on to the ball too long yet.

this is all on the o-line so far

Fred's Slacks
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
there you go Mason.

Are they that nervous? Is the field affecting them? Are the Eagles secondary that solid?

This is how the oline has started every season Campen has been the coach. For a while we blamed it on young guys and no continuity. No more excuses.

mmmdk
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
there you go Mason.

...what this guy says.... :D

Jimx29
jesuschrist harrel.....

imscott72
Wow now Harrell is toast..Do we only have 2 healthy active lineman now??

red
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

HARRELL IS HURT

how the fuck did he get hurt the offense was on the field

you have got to be shitting me

cut his fat fucking ass tomorrow

Fosco33
Jesus - Jenkins and Harrell hurt. Can we really play with 2 DL? Will we see Barnett or Bishop up there?

Gonna be a long day friends.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Harrell got injured on the FG.

red

yup, and one is harrell

toot-toot

mission

clifton looks horrible. wouldn't be surprised to see bulaga in the second half.

Fred's Slacks
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow! Is Jaron Gilbert still available?

gbgary
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
The philly d is very aggressive. We can take advantage of that with just a little more time for rodgers.