PDA

View Full Version : Packers extend Charles Woodson

packers11
09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Josina Anderson of Fox31 in Denver reports the Packers have agreed to terms with Charles Woodson on a contract extension.

The reigning Defensive Player of the Year denied a report by the same source three months ago that he was seeking a new contract. Anderson clearly has a pipeline to Woodson information, though. Woodson, turning 34 in October, is in the fifth year of a seven-year, $52 million contract. He was already owed nearly $20 million over the next three years. This is apparently a reward for his outstanding 2009 season. Sep. 9 - 1:00 pm et

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

vince
09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Tightwad Ted strikes again.

pbmax
09-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Boy, Revis and Asomugha just cost Ted and Mark a briefcase full of money. He is not young. I cannot believe Ted would do this and not protect the team, but I will be more at ease after the numbers come out.

packers11
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Boy, Revis and Asomugha just cost Ted and Mark a briefcase full of money. He is not young. I cannot believe Ted would do this and not protect the team, but I will be more at ease after the numbers come out.

I like it even though they still owed him a decent amount of money... The reports were packers were ranked 28th in cap with 99 million... Why not show the rest of the players on the team - if you perform - no matter how much you get paid there is still the ability to improve your contract... So go work your ass off!

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Hell, from the sounds of things there's a very good chance he won't have to pay Woodson a whole lot next season anyways.

mission
09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Hell, from the sounds of things there's a very good chance he won't have to pay Woodson a whole lot next season anyways.

Is that insinuating this is his last season?

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2010, 12:38 PM

No, the very real possibility of a lockout next season. If there's a lockout, the teams don't have to pay their players. If that happens, the deal to Woodson loses some of it's bite.

vince
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Schefter reporting that it's a 2-year extension, making Woodson tied to GB for 5 years.

Smidgeon
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Schefter reporting that it's a 2-year extension, making Woodson tied to GB for 5 years.

Originally I would have thought the idea would be to shift him to Safety when he lost a step (a la Rod Woodson) and finish his career there. However, by the time that happens, I fully expect Burnett to be entrenched at the other safety spot opposite Collins.

Which leads me to think that the Packers are confident Woodson is good enough to still be effectively dominant if he does lose a step.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09R3uZinGs&p=DEE5D7A7CAB9C6D4&playnext=1&index=24

bobblehead
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
MOve is confusing. Can only mean one thing. TT gave wood a raise because he did a good job....nothing else can really be read into it.

Brandon494
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Don't really understand the move but I don't care either. Charles Woodson is the man!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Surpised by a lot of the comments. TT is being fair with who gets paid and who doesn't. Woodson should be paid like a top corner and he probably got a nice increase in pay. Why would this bother anyone. Harris is almost 36 and people can't wait for him to come back. I would think that Woodson would be more likely to play at a high level than Harris once he gets older.

Tarlam!
09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Surpised by a lot of the comments. TT is being fair with who gets paid and who doesn't. Woodson should be paid like a top corner and he probably got a nice increase in pay. Why would this bother anyone. Harris is almost 36 and people can't wait for him to come back. I would think that Woodson would be more likely to play at a high level than Harris once he gets older.

Excellent views, IMHO. TT is rewarding the best that he has, and that's a very good thing.

ThunderDan
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Paying for actual performance. What a novel concept. Wish it was done in more "real" life situations.

Fritz
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
The thread title reminds me of those extendo-tools sold on television - the ones to help you pick up stuff behind your couch and all those other "hard to reach places."

So they extended Woodson....I wonder what they were trying to reach.

mission
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM

No, the very real possibility of a lockout next season. If there's a lockout, the teams don't have to pay their players. If that happens, the deal to Woodson loses some of it's bite.

Oh, ahhh... yeah, that could be. I really can't see two money-hungry parties pass on all the money from a year of football. It's just too big, I think all the talk is just leverage.

sharpe1027
09-09-2010, 04:25 PM
If past deals are any indication, the deal is going to be heavily front-loaded to reward Woodson now, but getting progressively cheaper so that the Pack can keep him around (or cut him) cheaply even as age catches up with him.

retailguy
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
This is a great thing. Woodson deserves it, and should be pleased. Well done.

pbmax
09-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Paying for actual performance. What a novel concept. Wish it was done in more "real" life situations.
I am very happy for Woodson and glad he will stick around to finish his career. But contracts that end in 2014 are not about prduction now, they are about production then. Only a foolish GM pays AGAIN for past performance.

Tony Oday
09-10-2010, 12:58 AM
He will donate some of this again...I hope the organization matches it dollar for dollar

3irty1
09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Pretty sure this was just a big FU to Revis.. This is how you are supposed to do it, Darrelle. You win DPOTY and THEN you make your dollars.

Tarlam!
09-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Pretty sure this was just a big FU to Revis.. This is how you are supposed to do it, Darrelle. You win DPOTY and THEN you make your dollars.

Why would TT or the Packers wanna FU Revis? Seems silly to me.

MichiganPackerFan
09-10-2010, 09:12 AM
How much of it is guaranteed? Does it extend the time his original signing bonus was amortized over? Seems like a bit of pay for performance and a display of loyalty to the player to allow him to finish his career in Green Bay. Congrads Woodson!

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Why would TT or the Packers wanna FU Revis? Seems silly to me.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure TT doesn't give a damn what other teams are doing regarding player contracts. Woodson has become a real leader on this team, on and off the field, and I think TT wants these kind of guys to be with the Packers until they retire. Hence the extensions to Driver and Woodson despite their age.

vince
09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
TT is spending some serious coin this year. They have to be in the top 5 in payroll. Collins, Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett, Bulaga, Driver, Woodson - all signed/extended this year.... Who'd I miss?

ThunderDan
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
TT is spending some serious coin this year. They have to be in the top 5 in payroll. Collins, Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett, Bulaga, Driver, Woodson - all signed/extended this year.... Who'd I miss?

Packers were at 28th in the league in 2010 payroll before extending Woodson. A full $50,000,000 behind Oakland.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Actually, they were well behind the Vikings, Bears, and many other teams--but I think that's a positive for Thompson. Contending team with a middling payroll. Yet, his players don't consider him cheap because they know he'll reward his own.

vince
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Packers were much higher in this uncapped year. I guess I mis-remembered.
http://www.blogcdn.com/jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/media/2010/08/roger-580-82010.jpg

Patler
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Packers were at 28th in the league in 2010 payroll before extending Woodson. A full $50,000,000 behind Oakland.

The numbers thrown around for 2010 "salaries" are very misleading, and for many teams include money spent years ago in the way of signing bonuses that are now being accelerated into the uncapped 2010 year because they have released the player.

Other teams (I suspect the Packers, too) are finding ways to pay more money upfront on new contracts so it doesn't impact 2011 and later if a salary cap returns.

The simple fact is that the Packers have spent a lot of "new money" extending and signing their own players.

I would not be surprised at all if the Packers redid Rodgers' contract again before the end of this season, if he plays as well as hoped. He is signed through 2014 at about $11million/year, which is starting to look cheap. A new 10 year contract could make some sense. On the other hand, Rodgers may prefer waiting another couple years to get the top QB salaries up to or above $20 million/year or so, then sign a 10 year $250-300 million deal, or something like that.

mraynrand
09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I would not be surprised at all if the Packers redid Rodgers' contract again before the end of this season, if he plays as well as hoped. He is signed through 2014 at about $11million/year, which is starting to look cheap. A new 10 year contract could make some sense. On the other hand, Rodgers may prefer waiting another couple years to get the top QB salaries up to or above $20 million/year or so, then sign a 10 year $250-300 million deal, or something like that.

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!! Seriously, if the Packers offer, I'd be a takin' the money. Not everyone can play for 32 seasons without injury like Favre.

Fritz
09-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Ted's a cheap bastard. He won't even extend Tramon Williams.

vince
09-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I just read this article. I actually got there following a link about Williams possibly being next up for a new deal. There are some extremely strong endorsements by Woodson, Pickett and Williams about the quality of the Packer organization. It says a lot about the players too.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102577234.html

Ryan Pickett - "It's very important. I think it's awesome they're rewarding the players like that. He deserved it."

Tramon Williams - "I look at it going out and playing football. As long as do your job, this organization will show you that they're loyal. I'm not really worrying about that (contract stuff). The organization is first-class; it rewards players who show they're doing what they're asked to do. It's not even running through my mind. I'm happy for Charles period."

Charles Woodson - "It was a gradual thing. The more people that I met around here in the community and throughout Wisconsin and just playing here with the guys that we have, the organization, the way they are with the players and the way they take care of the players, it was a gradual process."

Fritz
09-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Damn you, Vince. Damn you for making me look foolish when I'm attempting to make other people look foolish.

Patler
09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Tramon Williams - "I look at it going out and playing football. As long as do your job, this organization will show you that they're loyal. I'm not really worrying about that (contract stuff). The organization is first-class; it rewards players who show they're doing what they're asked to do."

To which Attari Bigby replied; "!%@@ &*$#"

mraynrand
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Tramon Williams - "I look at it going out and playing football. As long as do your job, this organization will show you that they're loyal. I'm not really worrying about that (contract stuff). The organization is first-class; it rewards players who show they're doing what they're asked to do."

To which Attari Bigby replied; "!%@@ &*$#"

What's the line - if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all?

falco
09-10-2010, 02:45 PM
How can you not the love the way TT is building this team? Building great talent, rewarding his own, not spluring on big name FAs who upset the balance or end up being busts (hence our low cap number this year).

It takes a lot of discipline and patience, but it is paying dividends IMO.

Tarlam!
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
How can you not the love the way TT is building this team? Building great talent, rewarding his own, not spluring on big name FAs who upset the balance or end up being busts (hence our low cap number this year).

It takes a lot of discipline and patience, but it is paying dividends IMO.

The proof is in the pudding, is TT's favourite quote: Albert Haynsworth. 'Nuff said.