PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL VIKES @ SAINTS GAME THREAD

Pages : 1 [2]

Travbrew
09-10-2010, 07:17 AM
when i think of kick ass brain bashing football i think of taylor swift :roll:

She's almost as hot as Shania Twain...and just as untalented.

Fellas,
Haven't sifted through all the pages to see if anyone else noticed, and I'm normally not one to correct folks, but that wasn't Taylor Swift, it was Colbie Callait

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/l/grammy_awards_arrivals_110208/colbie_caillat_1756423.jpg

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 09:54 AM
How did that vaunted Viking defense let them run the clock out with 5+ minutes left?

If I were a Viking fan, this is what I'd be most worried about. Until the last drive, the teams had had the same number of offensive snaps, so it's not like the Vikings D should have been gassed. Just seemed like when the Saints decided they wanted to run the ball, it was no problem.

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 09:58 AM

Fellas,
Haven't sifted through all the pages to see if anyone else noticed, and I'm normally not one to correct folks, but that wasn't Taylor Swift, it was Colbie Callait

We weren't referring to the National Anthem. There was a pre-game concert.

Travbrew
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Fellas,

We weren't referring to the National Anthem. There was a pre-game concert.

DOH! :oops: I'm a dumbass.

vince
09-10-2010, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Shiancoe hates the Packers right about now...

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A2 0050301%3Anfl%2Carticle%2Cms-fridayofferings091010%3A1&.ts=1284129696&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

Thanks to the whims of the NFL schedule-maker and a disconcertingly choppy offensive performance, the Minnesota Vikings became the first NFL team of 2010 to cause the 1972 Miami Dolphins to exhale Thursday night, dropping a 14-9 decision to the Saints in the Superdome. And as he prepared for a long trip home – the type he seldom had to experience last season, when the Vikes won their first six games and went 12-4 to win the NFC North – Visanthe Shiancoe (notes) , the talented tight end who scored the Vikings' lone touchdown at the Superdome, already knew exactly how he'd spend his Sunday.

Absolutely, he'll be tuning in to see Minnesota's much-hyped rival, the Green Bay Packers , battle the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field in one of the marquee matchups of the NFL's opening weekend.

''Of course,'' Shiancoe said. ''Of course we're going to watch.''

Last year the Vikings beat Green Bay twice and reached the NFC championship game, while the Pack snuck into the playoffs and suffered a first-round defeat to the Arizona Cardinals . Yet in terms of national perception, the Packers have surpassed Minnesota as the division's sexiest team, emerging as a trendy Super Bowl pick.

''You've got to watch a team like the Packers – they're the new Cowboys,'' Shiancoe continued, his sarcasm obvious. ''Everybody's jumping on their jock, like they've actually gone to the Super Bowl, and won it.

''Give them credit. They did good in the preseason. I mean, good. Good job. That's good stuff.''

Shiancoe paused for effect, then added: ''You know what, Philly's defense is pretty good, too. It always is. We'll see how [the Packers] fare against them.''
Hopefully, there'll be good reason for him to hate 'em worse by Sunday night.

denverYooper
09-10-2010, 10:58 AM

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A2 0050301%3Anfl%2Carticle%2Cms-fridayofferings091010%3A1&.ts=1284129696&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=US&.lang=en

Thanks to the whims of the NFL schedule-maker and a disconcertingly choppy offensive performance, the Minnesota Vikings became the first NFL team of 2010 to cause the 1972 Miami Dolphins to exhale Thursday night, dropping a 14-9 decision to the Saints in the Superdome. And as he prepared for a long trip home – the type he seldom had to experience last season, when the Vikes won their first six games and went 12-4 to win the NFC North – Visanthe Shiancoe (notes) , the talented tight end who scored the Vikings' lone touchdown at the Superdome, already knew exactly how he'd spend his Sunday.

Absolutely, he'll be tuning in to see Minnesota's much-hyped rival, the Green Bay Packers , battle the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field in one of the marquee matchups of the NFL's opening weekend.

Last year the Vikings beat Green Bay twice and reached the NFC championship game, while the Pack snuck into the playoffs and suffered a first-round defeat to the Arizona Cardinals . Yet in terms of national perception, the Packers have surpassed Minnesota as the division's sexiest team, emerging as a trendy Super Bowl pick.

''You've got to watch a team like the Packers – they're the new Cowboys,'' Shiancoe continued, his sarcasm obvious. ''Everybody's jumping on their jock, like they've actually gone to the Super Bowl, and won it.

''Give them credit. They did good in the preseason. I mean, good. Good job. That's good stuff.''

Shiancoe paused for effect, then added: ''You know what, Philly's defense is pretty good, too. It always is. We'll see how [the Packers] fare against them.''

Well... the Vikings are in last place in the NFC North.

ThunderDan
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM

The new Cowboys. I guess Vince should send Visanthe the Packers history book. :lol:

Well....actually we have 3 Lombardi trophies at Lambeau. I know he is talking about this year but damn what disrespect for the long running GB Packers and Titletown.

Zool
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Might want to check out the Vikings trophy case there genius, then start talking some shit.

mraynrand
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
''Everybody's jumping on their jock, like they've actually gone to the Super Bowl, and won it.

Get off my Jock!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hJREGwPF6vQ/SFFk8zKIryI/AAAAAAAAB_0/zF9QU71cTak/s400/zardoz.jpg

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

red
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
yeah, we should all be talking abut the queens instead because they won it all last year

Wait......

denverYooper
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
''Everybody's jumping on their jock, like they've actually gone to the Super Bowl, and won it.

Get off my Jock!!!

Who is on who's jock?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2008/12/340x_censored_shiancoe_dong.jpg

Tony Oday
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
[quote="mraynrand"][quote=Shiancoe] ''Everybody's jumping on their jock, like they've actually gone to the Super Bowl, and won it.

We have...three times...better to be a has been then a never will be Black Magic

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2010, 12:13 PM

How the hell did we sneak into the playoffs? We went 11-5 and clinched a berth a week early.

vince
09-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Get off my Jock!!!

Who is on who's jock?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2008/12/340x_censored_shiancoe_dong.jpg
That condom he's wearing on his head is pretty fitting.

mngolf19
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Didn't they look bad week one last year too?

That's what Vikings fans are saying now, but not this bad. Last year, they were up 34-13 on Cleveland (a bad team) until Cleveland scored a meaningless TD late. And 7 of those 13 points came on a Josh Cribbs punt return. Also, Adrian Peterson had 180 rushing yards and 3 TDs. The thing that was bad about them was their passing offense, and it was more that they didn't need to pass against a bad team with a comfortable lead.

I just some chinks in the armor. The Saints should have won handily. They missed two FGs and had several drops and Brees wasn't in rhythm early. I think Minnesota's OL looks pedestrian, none of their WRs look like #1 WRs, their run defense got gashed up the middle, and there were open receivers. They also have a real problem when Peterson's not in the game--unless Toby Gerhart suddenly looks a lot better than he did in the preseason. The only people that played well in this game, IMHO, was Adrian Peterson, Visanthe Shiancoe, and their LBs.

So if it comes from a Vikes fan it must not be true, right Harv? :roll: Anyone reading anything more into this loss than-The Saints are good, It's the first game, They played exactly like last year in game 1, and both Favre and his WR's and Center missed the whole preseason is just trying to be a hater. I expected them to lose and stated they likely would go 4-4 to start. This is only a problem if they need 12-13 wins to win the division. And while that may prove to be exactly what it takes, I expect they will get better as the season progesses and make the playoffs as a tough team to beat. I have no problem with that.

vince
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Favre's passer rating when blitzed last night was 21.0 - 13 attempts, 4 completions, and an INT.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
So if it comes from a Vikes fan it must not be true, right Harv? :roll: Anyone reading anything more into this loss than-The Saints are good, It's the first game, They played exactly like last year in game 1, and both Favre and his WR's and Center missed the whole preseason is just trying to be a hater. I expected them to lose and stated they likely would go 4-4 to start. This is only a problem if they need 12-13 wins to win the division. And while that may prove to be exactly what it takes, I expect they will get better as the season progesses and make the playoffs as a tough team to beat. I have no problem with that.

Well, I said in another thread that we need to take advantage because the Vikings are still good enough to win 10-11 games.

I expected the Vikings to win. They looked like the better team last year (they match up pretty well with the Saints), and I thought they'd be more motivated. I thought it was a 14-9 game that should have been much worse. New Orleans really did outclass them. I was surprised at how many aspects of the Vikings game looked average at best. They can turn it around, but I just get a bad vibe from the Vikings this year.

Fritz
09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
It's a long season and all that.

swede
09-10-2010, 01:21 PM
On any given Thursday.

sharpe1027
09-10-2010, 01:28 PM
It is what it is.

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
They were who we thought they were.

get louder at lambeau
09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
He's like a kid out there.

Scott Campbell
09-10-2010, 01:47 PM

At this point Keith Richards looks more vibrant and youthful.

get louder at lambeau
09-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Maybe he just needed a Snickers-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Sv_z9jm8A

get louder at lambeau
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Correction- The Vikings are in last place in the NFL.

falco
09-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Correction- The Vikings are in last place in the NFL.

:lol:

Joemailman
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Well, maybe not.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xhRv7oMz__Y/R7mIPTzVTnI/AAAAAAAAARE/ZGSHsno8Kr8/s400/keith.jpg

Pugger
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I saw this quote in the JSO about Adrian Peterson's rushing effort in last night's game:

"Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 122 yards and three TDs in the last meeting, rushed for 87 yards on 219 carries against New Orleans' stingy defense."

That means that last night he averaged .3972602 yards per carry.

I can't believe Chilly kept giving AP the ball if that was all he could manage.

But the Vikes sure must have controlled the clock!

Peterson was gashing them in the first half but hardly touched the ball after halftime. Did the Boss change Chilly's called plays at the LOS? :wink:

Pugger
09-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Might want to check out the Vikings trophy case there genius, then start talking some shit.

The dumb chit should worry about the Fins instead of spouting off about the Pack right now, if he had a brain...

Pugger
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Get off my Jock!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hJREGwPF6vQ/SFFk8zKIryI/AAAAAAAAB_0/zF9QU71cTak/s400/zardoz.jpg

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

Eeeewuuuuu! :P

Pugger
09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tarlam!
09-10-2010, 03:31 PM

What was once almost the official motto of Wisconsin and Packers fans worldwide, is now laughable. A joke.

I can't stand the guy for robbing me a a legitimate hero. Himself.

get louder at lambeau
09-10-2010, 03:51 PM

What was once almost the official motto of Wisconsin and Packers fans worldwide, is now laughable. A joke.

I can't stand the guy for robbing me a a legitimate hero. Himself.

The Favre giveth, and the Favre taketh away.

CaptainKickass
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
That Brett Favre...He is a football player....and this is a game!

Administrator
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I split the off topic stuff from this thread, into an appropriately titled thread in the Romper Room.

You can continue that discussion there, and if there are any further football related points, those can go here.

vince
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Joe.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in Shiancoe complaining about the Packers being crowned paper champs. The Vikings have held that title for the past 3 years.

Fosco33
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
..dp..

Fosco33
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
0-1 - it's a long season. Vikes will win 9 or 10 games.

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 02:02 AM

12-13, IMHO. I think they win the division, but I hope I'm wrong on that.

Tony Oday
09-12-2010, 02:14 AM

I am the one that thinks they will struggle to get 8-8 this year...this is their last shot and they will fall...no WRs, Pat is OLD, Kevin is not that good, JA only made the probowl because Clifton wasnt there (7 sacks) Winfield is the only good DB they have...8 wins and Chilli is fired

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 03:38 AM

I am the one that thinks they will struggle to get 8-8 this year...this is their last shot and they will fall...no WRs, Pat is OLD, Kevin is not that good, JA only made the probowl because Clifton wasnt there (7 sacks) Winfield is the only good DB they have...8 wins and Chilli is fired

Heavens, I hope you're correct. I also hope Favre is benched at around Game 3 and that was his career - Schadenfreude. There's no English word for it.

woodbuck27
09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
1. D. Brees NO 237 yds Final

2. B. Favre MIN 171 yds Final

If Percy Harvin has a better game and runs better routes and Bernard Barrian makes that catch on the RH hash marks Favre paas's for as many yards as Brees and pts the Vikings in a solid position for the 'W'.

That loss by a close score of 14-9 Saints isn't on Favre's arm. It was all about better Viking WR execution and routes.

Tony Oday
09-12-2010, 08:32 AM

If Percy Harvin has a better game and runs better routes and Bernard Barrian makes that catch on the RH hash marks Favre paas's for as many yards as Brees and pts the Vikings in a solid position for the 'W'.

That loss by a close score of 14-9 Saints isn't on Favre's arm. It was all about better Viking WR execution and routes.

It was on Favre's arm because he didnt get the ball to them and was bailed out by the announcers by saying it was the receivers fault THEY ran the wrong route when for all we know it was Favre throwing the wrong route, which he said after the game.

Look on the flip side, Hartley makes the two easy FG and Meacham catches a VERY catchable ball then its 27-9....rout

retailguy
09-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Woody - you really need to watch this.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/102607254.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc :aUU

And read this:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/102594989.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Joemailman
09-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Woody,

It's hard to tell who was at fault when the receiver and quarterback aren't on the same page. That is why you have training camp. You want to work those problems out before the games start. That's why guys as good as Peyton Manning and Brady are always there. It's not because they need practice throwing the football.

retailguy
09-12-2010, 08:52 AM
woody - this might be a better one.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_16038614?nclick_check=1

"Plays were there to be made, but you can't miss open guys," he said.

Favre said his ankle held up fine and scoffed at the notion that he was rusty.

"No, I feel fine. I missed on some of these throws but everything felt fine," he said.

Bossman641
09-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Lol. Come on Woody. When even Favre said he missed some throws I think you can throw a little blame his way.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 09:19 AM

And if Colston doesn't drop the ball in the end zone and Henderson snags the pass where Abdullah was late coming over top, Brees has 3 TDs, 300+ yards and the Saints hang up 31 points.

denverYooper
09-12-2010, 09:25 AM
woody - this might be a better one.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_16038614?nclick_check=1

"Plays were there to be made, but you can't miss open guys," he said.

Favre said his ankle held up fine and scoffed at the notion that he was rusty.

"No, I feel fine. I missed on some of these throws but everything felt fine," he said.

I saw those articles also. Good on Favre for owning up to his subpar play. Unfortunately for the Packers, that probably means it won't continue all season because he'll be working hard on making sure it doesn't happen again.

Scott Campbell
09-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I saw those articles also. Good on Favre for owning up to his subpar play.

It's just a matter of time till he figures out how to blame Sidney Rice.

Tony Oday
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I saw those articles also. Good on Favre for owning up to his subpar play.

It's just a matter of time till he figures out how to blame Sidney Rice.

or Wilf