PDA

View Full Version : Best Football Venue

Tony Oday
09-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Discuss

I love and I mean LOVE Lambeau so lets not say the home turf. Pick another one.

I am going with Seattle. How many free 5 yards does that place give its D?

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Discuss

I love and I mean LOVE Lambeau so lets not say the home turf. Pick another one.

I am going with Seattle. How many free 5 yards does that place give its D?

Only been to Kingdome... back in '96. Reggie brought one back for a TD. Brett had a crazy play for a TD. Tennessee was nice.

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Superdome - no doubt! I was there in 1992 (Saints vs Bills) and the crowd was electric.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Guiseppi Meazzo Stadium in Milan, Italy - one friggin' amazing place. I was there in 1990 to see Germany play UAE. 6 goals scored.

Actually a great story if anyone and I get together, I'll tell it. Too long to write and have my brethren Rats read.

The other amazing stadium is that of Bayern Munich, called Allianz Stadium. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of things to do before I die.

Little Whiskey
09-11-2010, 07:23 AM
sadly, i've only been to a couple other college fields. Spartan Stadium and Notre Dame. both where great places to watch a game.

i've also been to the Silverdome and County stadium to watch a game, probably two of the worst places to see football.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 07:59 AM
The "Big Sombrero" in Tampa was a fantastic stadium with a great field (and crappy security)

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I saw a few games at Notre Dame in the 1990's. Very cool. You felt like you were walking into a time warp. Not sure if it's the same now that they've added on to it.

Soldier Field (before the refurbishment) was horrible. Perfectly suited for the Bears.

red
09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Guiseppi Meazzo Stadium in Milan, Italy - one friggin' amazing place. I was there in 1990 to see Germany play UAE. 6 goals scored.

Actually a great story if anyone and I get together, I'll tell it. Too long to write and have my brethren Rats read.

The other amazing stadium is that of Bayern Munich, called Allianz Stadium. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of things to do before I die.

i prefer the older (over 100 years old) stadiums that have been pieced together over the years and look like it. those are the ones that to me have all the character. like craven cottage

no nfl stadiums excite me other then lambeau. they're either too blah looking or way to modern looking.

college is a whole different story. but from all the college stadiums i've been to, nothing beats camp randall for atmosphere

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd love to see a game here.

http://thesightseeingspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/colosseum2.jpg

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd love to see a game here.

I played Rugby League there one. Tough crowd! :D

pbmax
09-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Deserved its reputation, but it wasn't the disaster some people exaggerated it to be. Went there as a kid and adult and never failed to have a good time. The seats, as sightlines, however, were bad in the upper deck.

Trough urinals were also tough to take as a kid. Nightmares about that.

Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. I went to see a preseason game where I was rooting for the opposing team (Browns). Did not wear my jersey. Did not get beat up, but then the stands were half empty. Difficult to drive to as you had to go through most of downtown Philly to get there. Driving to games in Philly (also went to the Spectrum) taught me how to cut others off intentionally at both high and low speeds. :lol:

For baseball, it was OK but nothing interesting about it at all. The Vet, Three Rivers and Riverfront in Cincinnati were interchangeable.

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Haven't been to many. I thoroughly enjoyed Ford Field's blend of modern and old industrial the five times I was there.

The view from a private box on the 50 yard line ad FedEx was pretty cool too.

I rather dig Miller Park too

Worst ever? Wrigley.

Airin' Rodgers
09-11-2010, 12:46 PM
In the NFL, other than our beloved Lambeau I have been to Soldier, Ford, and the playoff game last year in Arizona.

Venue wise I would rate them:

1.Arizona
2.Detroit.
3.Chicago

Experience Wise:

1. Arizona
2. Chicago
3. Detroit.

Lots of obnoxious drunks in my section at Ford Field

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Weird. There was a really drunk dude in my section too. I had a terrible hang over the next day :rs:

Seriously, I had no problems whatsoever

retailguy
09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I've been to about a dozen NFL stadiums. (stadiuii?)

I really enjoyed Seattle, Houston, and Tampa.

I didn't really enjoy Minnesota, St. Louis, or Miami.

I found the facilities in Minnesota nicer than they had been explained to me, but the "stadium experience" was just dead. Miami was in the middle of nowhere and it was 3 weeks removed from a hurricane, so it may not have been the best time to be there. St. Louis was a crummy game in the middle of December.

Seattle is always a blast, I've been there at least 8 or 9 times, including the Seahawks/Cardinals playoff game several years ago. Also have seen the Seahawks play in the University of Washington stadium. That was fun too.

Tampa's facilities are wonderful, seats are comfortable, crowd was polite, but again, dead.

Nothing compares to lambeau. I might be a tad bit biased, but maybe not? :wink:

I loved Wrigley. We had tix in about the 10th row behind home plate one time, it's always been a blast for me. I didn't like US Cellular field (White sox), but their facilities were far superior in every way. Camp Randall will always have a warm place in my heart. Not sure I'd like it today as a sober adult, but as a drunk college student it was a blast. :wink:

3irty1
09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Worst I've been to is easily the Metrodome, best has got to be Heintz field. Heintz is much like lambeau in terms of atmosphere outside the stadium on game day. The parties and tailgaiting rivials lambeau only they are doing it in a metropolitan area. Because of this much of the parking and tailgaiting is on the other side of Roberto Clemente Bridge which everyone eventually crosses to see the game--similar to miller park in general parking but with 10 times the walking.

Inside the stadium everyone was friendly for the most part although their are probably more "pink jersey" fans than at lambeau. Another major difference was that I felt Heinz field was louder and slightly rowdier than lambeau which I liked and the noise didn't stop when the offense took the field the way it does in Lambeau. The crowd at Lambeau is from all over wisconsin and requires that you have money which means you're at least a little responsible. Lambeau also probably has more fans of the visiting team than I saw at Heintz field but thats probably due to the fact that Lambeau is more of a football mecca.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 04:09 PM

I found the facilities in Minnesota nicer than they had been explained to me, but the "stadium experience" was just dead. Miami was in the middle of nowhere and it was 3 weeks removed from a hurricane, so it may not have been the best time to be there. St. Louis was a crummy game in the middle of December.

Seattle is always a blast, I've been there at least 8 or 9 times, including the Seahawks/Cardinals playoff game several years ago. Also have seen the Seahawks play in the University of Washington stadium. That was fun too.

Tampa's facilities are wonderful, seats are comfortable, crowd was polite, but again, dead.

I loved Wrigley. We had tix in about the 10th row behind home plate one time, it's always been a blast for me. I didn't like US Cellular field (White sox), but their facilities were far superior in every way. Camp Randall will always have a warm place in my heart. Not sure I'd like it today as a sober adult, but as a drunk college student it was a blast. :wink:

Too bad you didn't go to Camden Yards when you were in Balto. Nice place. Nice atmosphere.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Too bad you didn't go to Camden Yards when you were in Balto. Nice place. Nice atmosphere.

Yeah. Trip was too short. we had to do it that way, unfortunately. The good news (through one point of view), is that I travel 4 or 5 times a year to Wilmington, DE. I'll be visiting both Camden Yards, and M&T Bank Stadium soon.

BTW - Amicci's was a great time, and we enjoyed our brief time in the inner harbor. We loved Annapolis, and had a blast in Philly over the weekend. we'll spend more time there too!

I don't think I ever properly thanked you for the travel advice, but I'm very grateful. we did have a blast!

Airin' Rodgers
09-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Weird. There was a really drunk dude in my section too. I had a terrible hang over the next day :rs:

Seriously, I had no problems whatsoever

Going to another team's stadium and wearing packer stuff, I expect some harassment. However, I don't expect two 25-28 year old drunk lions fans trying to start a fist fight with my then 12 year old brother.

The playoff game last year was by far my best experience. Other than the expected heckling after the game, Cardinals fans were great

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Going to another team's stadium and wearing packer stuff, I expect some harassment. However, I don't expect two 25-28 year old drunk lions fans trying to start a fist fight with my then 12 year old brother.

Well, lemme tell ya. The only time I went to Lambeau (which I adored) was with a couple of posters. One is no longer welcome here.

That one picked a fight with a 12 year old after the game (Pack lost to the Bears). I was ashamed.

The good news is, other REAL fans stepped in and threatened to extinguish our lights. They didn't stand for any crap, just because we were wearing Packer garb.

I'd tell you who the poster was, but we all agreed, what happens in Green Bay, stays in Green Bay.

swede
09-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Well, lemme tell ya. The only time I went to Lambeau (which I adored) was with a couple of posters. One is no longer welcome here.

That one picked a fight with a 12 year old after the game (Pack lost to the Bears). I was ashamed.

The good news is, other REAL fans stepped in and threatened to extinguish our lights. They didn't stand for any crap, just because we were wearing Packer garb.

I'd tell you who the poster was, but we all agreed, what happens in Green Bay, stays in Green Bay.

C'mon. If you don't tell the whole story all we get is a partial story.

Patler
09-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Best football venue I have been at? My backyard when I was a kid!

It was a field, really. Farming community with big families, so we could easily get enough boys together to play with 6 on each team, or more, covering about a 5-6 year age range. We had special rules so that receivers were covered by kids their own age, OL and DL had to match ages (determined by how the offense lined up), etc. The younger kids "tackled" an older kid by touch, otherwise it was tackle football with no equipment.

We had even better baseball games in that field (hardball, not softball) because our sisters all played too, and some were pretty darn good. Usually could come up with 8 on a side easily, with the batting team doing the catching!

Do kids even play pickup games anymore? Everything is so organized.

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
C'mon. If you don't tell the whole story all we get is a partial story.

You're good, very very good, Swede.

Tony Oday
09-12-2010, 11:35 AM

It was a field, really. Farming community with big families, so we could easily get enough boys together to play with 6 on each team, or more, covering about a 5-6 year age range. We had special rules so that receivers were covered by kids their own age, OL and DL had to match ages (determined by how the offense lined up), etc. The younger kids "tackled" an older kid by touch, otherwise it was tackle football with no equipment.

We had even better baseball games in that field (hardball, not softball) because our sisters all played too, and some were pretty darn good. Usually could come up with 8 on a side easily, with the batting team doing the catching!

No they dont hell I got a dirty look from a neighbor when my kid went up to their kid to see if they wanted to play...

MJZiggy
09-12-2010, 11:38 AM

No, they don't :( Partly because it's all so organized and partly because kids don't play outside like that anymore. Either because they're in daycare in the summer or they just stay in. Fortunately, my neighbor is also in the habit of throwing her kids out on nice summer days, so there are 3 of them out there.

Little Whiskey
09-12-2010, 11:40 AM

good point patler. I wonder that too. I dont' see kids playing in yards anymore.

Joemailman
09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Maybe they need to come out with a Madden-Backyard Version

"Johnny, run down the middle, and then cut to the outside, and I'll hit you right by the apple tree."

MJZiggy
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Maybe they need to come out with a Madden-Backyard Version

"Johnny, run down the middle, and then cut to the outside, and I'll hit you right by the apple tree."

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=backyard+football&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11675028397555043684&ei=JjGNTJ_xIYT6lwe91YBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDoQ8wIwBA#